Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alberto Salazar banned for 4 years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

SelmaHayek wrote: »
    Or maybe other sports are cleaner?

Not the forum for it, but stop dreaming

• Site Banned Posts: 97 ✭✭SelmaHayek

pconn062 wrote: »
    Nobody is this naive surely?

Well, one of the biggest names in coaching within athletics just got a 4 year ban, he has had many big name athletes in his camp including some of the big names from this World athletic championships. I don't see that happening in many other sports.
    This can be painted as athletics going after drug cheats or it could be because drugs are rifer in athletics. My own view is that drugs are prevelent across all sports but there's a higher level in athletics than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Or maybe other sports are cleaner?

Sadly not just does't get same attention

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-doping-probe-launched-as-two-samples-vanish-on-way-to-laboratory-35983032.html
    Fuentes allegedly threatens to sell the names of other athletes with whom he has worked. "How I prepared a team to play in the Champions League," is one category of revelations he offers, according to an email sent by his lawyers. Another is: "My medical relationship with winners of the London marathon". The Guardian quotes his lawyer Josee Miguel Lledo saying: "He has received approaches from several media organisations, offering money. This is a list of subjects he can talk about, but he won't do that until appeals have been lodged later in May. Appeals launched by multiple parties including WADA and UCI.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/2016/06/16/operation-puerto-doctor-admits-major-names-could-be-involved-in/

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39383967

https://www.mmamania.com/2019/1/23/18195174/ufc-232-jon-jones-vada-tests-positive-result-lingering-steroid-metabolite-mma

KSU wrote: »

So just as I said, it's not happening as much in other sports. I don't think anyone can claim that all sports are clean apart from athletics. Clearly not the case. Athletics does seem to have a very deep problem with doping though. Even in the current world championships, many have a cloud over them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

a good day for athletics, they eventually got some mud to stick.
    its not like he has no history,especially with testosterone, remember it was 96 when he wasn't Deckers coach

Unfortunately the complicate athletes will prob never be done, but at least we know their guilt .

as for nike, they need to be told to fook off, people need to see them for what they are.
    Imagine the pressure the contracted athletes were put under to follow orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Reports that Salazar has been kicked out of Doha..

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

I wonder will the BBC mention Farah when this is brought up on their coverage later.

So just as I said, it's not happening as much in other sports. I don't think anyone can claim that all sports are clean apart from athletics. Clearly not the case. Athletics does seem to have a very deep problem with doping though. Even in the current world championships, many have a cloud over them.

Off the top of my head here are the teams in football I can think of that have similar clouds

Man Utd - Jaap Stam/Rio Ferdinand
    Man City - Pep, Whereabouts
    Chelsea - Adrian Mutu
    Real Madrid - Operation Fuentes
    Barcelona - Operation Fuetntes
    West Ham - Whereabouts
    Bayern Munich - Ties to Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt, multiple historical documents (past 60 years)
    Bolton - big Sams introduction to "sport science)
    Greek Euro Winning team - 2004 Greek Doping scandal prior to Olympics

And that is just off the top of my head.

Some might call this whataboutery the simple fact is drugs heavily influence professional sport across the board these days. Sports can either ignore and suspend belief or aim to tackle to save a semblance of credibility, the latter tends to damage the reputation more but overall integrity of the sport.

(I say this as an avid fan of both)

Ceepo wrote: »
    Reports that Salazar has been kicked out of Doha..

Has to be no longer has credentials to be anywhere near the stadium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 chief orman

Hurrache wrote: »
    Straight from the distraction play book, "but look over there....".

Not a distraction at all. I want a huge spotlight put on athletics as it suits those of us who play by the rules. I was only contrasting the approach between the IAAF and the RFU. The latter still have not admitted they have a problem in their sport.

Off the top of my head here are the teams in football I can think of that have similar clouds

Man Utd - Jaap Stam/Rio Ferdinand
    Man City - Pep, Whereabouts
    Chelsea - Adrian Mutu
    Real Madrid - Operation Fuentes
    Barcelona - Operation Fuetntes
    West Ham - Whereabouts
    Bayern Munich - Ties to Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt, multiple historical documents (past 60 years)
    Bolton - big Sams introduction to "sport science)
    Greek Euro Winning team - 2004 Greek Doping scandal prior to Olympics

And that is just off the top of my head.

Some might call this whataboutery the simple fact is drugs heavily influence professional sport across the board these days. Sports can either ignore and suspend belief or aim to tackle to save a semblance of credibility, the latter tends to damage the reputation more but overall integrity of the sport.

(I say this as an avid fan of both)

As I said, no one can deny every sport has drug issues. The level of it can be argued. This years world championships for example. There's clouds over Cloeman in the men's 100m. The man that came second has been banned twice. Some nations have been banned from competing, others who've been picking up a lot of medals have very questionable anti doping procedures. With this ban, a cloud is now over one of the stars. That's just a few examples and I haven't gone into past events.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Disappointing from the BBC,cram especially very weak they seem to be afraid of condemning the Nike project for fear of implicating Farah.

nannerby wrote: »
    Disappointing from the BBC,cram especially very weak they seem to be afraid of condemning the Nike project for fear of implicating Farah.

Goes worse than that. Salazar was a consultant for UKA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

It would be great to see Salazar's much lauded M.o. exposed as a complete cheating fraud.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

This has to put Mo Farah under massive scrutiny.

The BBC silence is deafening.

Has Sebastian Coe said anything yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    This has to put Mo Farah under massive scrutiny.

The BBC silence is deafening.

Has Sebastian Coe said anything yet?

Mr Coe would never say anything. Once he gets the money he doesn't care what happens in the sport.

World Championships proved that

• Registered Users Posts: 24 chief orman

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    It would be great to see Salazar's much lauded M.o. exposed as a complete cheating fraud.

Only if he is guilty of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,692 ✭✭✭✭walshb

pconn062 wrote: »
    Nobody is this naive surely?

Poster said cleaner!!! Not clean.

Only if he is guilty of course.

No no. Forget proof...let’s just get him any way we can..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Look mo missed two tests due to he couldnt hear them. His running partner was shown to be on a doping prgram galean rupp. His trainer is now banned. I think the walls are closing in. 7 out of the 8 finalists in the benn johnson race ended up testing positive at some stage or another. Sonia was robbed of medals by the chinesse. Athletics is poision. Athletes banned and getting back in. Its worth the risk. The rewards are there. If u get banned u come back. Also u keep the physical and financial benefits. Also less likely to be tested when banned. Joke of a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Sir Mo has issued a statement....

“I left the Nike Oregon Project in 2017 but as I’ve always said, I have no tolerance for anyone who breaks the rules or crosses a line. A ruling has been made and I’m glad there has finally been a conclusion.”

https://www.athleticsweekly.com/athletics-news/coach-alberto-salazar-gets-four-year-ban-for-doping-violations-1039925491/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Ceepo wrote: »
    Sir Mo has issued a statement....

“I left the Nike Oregon Project in 2017 but as I’ve always said, I have no tolerance for anyone who breaks the rules or crosses a line. A ruling has been made and I’m glad there has finally been a conclusion.”

https://www.athleticsweekly.com/athletics-news/coach-alberto-salazar-gets-four-year-ban-for-doping-violations-1039925491/

Am sure he’ll step away from his lucrative Nike contract now seeing his morals are so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

In recent ads over my emails I got a notice on the lines of 'new device proven to stun attackers ...'. GPS data is harvested for targetted ads, ho hum.

However, I'm a middle-aged male. No middle aged female friend of mine who runs similar Dublin 7 routes got the same ad. I'm taking that it's meant for wannabe rapists, i.e. 'new device proven to stun defenders ...'.

Similarly, reading the Salazar/Brown defence re testosterone 'experiments' it's almost impossible to concur with the claim as to their stated purpose.

"... But he claimed it was designed to protect against his athletes being "sabotaged" by someone rubbing testosterone gel on them after a race so they would test positive..."

nannerby wrote: »

Cram only defended the nonsense that Farrah is guilty by association.

Farrah left NOP in 2017. He quit when USADA brought charges against Salazar..

Farrah is guilty of nothing apart from maybe poor judgment..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

He's unfortunatel alright, even more so given we all know he suffers from selective deafness or narcolepsy brought on only when drug testers come knocking.

Also unfortunate that his results coincidentally improved when he started working with a cheat.

Poor bloke.

walshb wrote: »
    Cram only defended the nonsense that Farrah is guilty by association.

Farrah left NOP in 2017. He quit when USADA brought charges against Salazar..

Actually charges were filed in June, he didn't leave till October

That's two coaches now been charged for doping - Funnily his judgement of character seems to deteriorate as his age and performances get along.

Cram is a hypocrite considering he spends half his time on air casting aspersions on the East Africans be it for doping or age cheating.

His age and performances? What about them?

Nothing suspect whatsoever for anyone who knows sport...

walshb wrote: »
    Nothing suspect whatsoever for anyone who knows sport...

:D:p:D:p

Excuse my ignorance, i'll bow to your expertise so. (getting off the roundabout here)

• Advertisement

:D:p:D:p

Excuse my ignorance, i'll bow to your expertise so.

Well, it is kind of ignorance...

And no need to be an expert to see this..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement