Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alberto Salazar banned for 4 years

13468916

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby


    Ah lads this guy is a known troll put him on ignore and please don't quote him.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19


    The amount of horse manure on this thread is scary. Epo and peds give major advantages. Look at ben johnsons 100 m to prove it. Our own michelle smith living proof. Cheating in sport is rife. It puts people off it. I used to watch athletics all the time. Couldnt care less now. Sonia o Sullivan was roobed of many medals by doping chinesse athletes. Theres records in womans running that where achieved with peds that are not achievable now. I thing they may reset some of them. Watch icarus if u want an eye opener. I said lance was on it miles before he was caught. Im convinced of one tennis player. And also convinced of a runner who rhymes with fo.


  • Registered Users Posts: 54,531 ✭✭✭✭walshb


    skyblue46 wrote: »
    That's it! I'm now convinced you are a troll. Your main aim is simply to get people to bite. You talk $hite. There cannot be scientific proof to say a female can't run 2:15. Records have improved over time and will continue to do so. It's the evolution of sport. A clean woman will someday run 2:15. Performance has to be judged within it's era. Tyson v Ali, Woods v Nicklaus....She outperformed her era by a distance.

    That’s the reply of someone who cannot back up what they are claiming..BS

    30 minutes 10 k runner and 14.30 5 k runner...

    They doped times as well?

    2.15 is absolutely achievable for a woman who can do this. Hard and dedicated training...it’s called endurance. Old as the fooking hills..


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46


    walshb wrote: »
    That’s the reply of someone who cannot back up what they are claiming..BS

    30 minutes 10 k runner and 14.30 5 k runner...

    They doped times as well?

    2.15 is absolutely achievable for a woman who can do this. Hard and dedicated training...it’s called endurance. Old as the fooking hills..

    Jog on ;-)


  • Registered Users Posts: 54,531 ✭✭✭✭walshb


    The amount of horse manure on this thread is scary. Epo and peds give major advantages. Look at ben johnsons 100 m to prove it. Our own michelle smith living proof. Cheating in sport is rife. It puts people off it. I used to watch athletics all the time. Couldnt care less now. Sonia o Sullivan was roobed of many medals by doping chinesse athletes. Theres records in womans running that where achieved with peds that are not achievable now. I thing they may reset some of them. Watch icarus if u want an eye opener. I said lance was on it miles before he was caught. Im convinced of one tennis player. And also convinced of a runner who rhymes with fo.

    EPO and PEDs give major advantages? No way, really?

    I think you are mixing this thread up with some other?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer


    <mod>Like it or not, accusing an athlete of doping who has never tested positive is speculation, and specifically forbidden by the forum charter.

    "Common sense" or whatever you want to call it does not come into it. Unless there is direct proof in form of a failed test, just hold your tongue.</mod>


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph


    echat wrote: »
    There is nothing difficult here that requires a learned paper. Running 2:15 in 2003 which is still 500 metres faster than the next fastest time which was run in 2017 despite the large financial incentives in the major marathons. Runners know that there is something wrong with the time just like they know what a runner looking fresh means. This is not theory it is practice.

    I am not following your remarks about you a man defending her. Are you saying only women can comment negatively on female athletes?

    Nothing much different between the 2:15 paced time and the 2:17 non-paced time when you compare to Kipchoge running 2:00 with pacers and 2:01 high without pacers.

    There are several 2:17 runners now, just like there are now 2 2:01 runners in the mens event.

    The times, whilst remarkable, are not evidence in themselves.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo


    robinph wrote: »
    Nothing much different between the 2:15 paced time and the 2:17 non-paced time when you compare to Kipchoge running 2:00 with pacers and 2:01 high without pacers.

    There are several 2:17 runners now, just like there are now 2 2:01 runners in the mens event.

    The times, whilst remarkable, are not evidence in themselves.
    Up until that point or later they were all pace races


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835


    https://www.balls.ie/athletics/paula-radcliffe-alberto-salazar-bbc-418051

    Nice to see Nike Ambassador and reknowned anti-doper Paula Radcliffe with such a strong take on things......


  • Registered Users Posts: 54,531 ✭✭✭✭walshb


    Does anyone lend any weight to Paula being so upfront and challenging and protesting about drugs cheats in the early noughties?

    For her then to dope and set a WR, not saying it's not possible, but it seems to be a little incredulous...

    She has proven elite speed endurance.....

    As great as 2.15 is, it is still just an elite great running 4 10ks at 32 mins 15 seconds pace per 10k, or thereabouts. Exceptional. but not at all impossible. She can run 30 minutes for 10k

    I mean, very difficult to do, but it's not like the mile or 5 k, where you really are putting your organs to the max......


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph


    Ceepo wrote: »
    Up until that point or later they were all pace races

    London Marathon has had a separate womens start from the mens for years, 2003 was an oddity that it was a separate start, but with male pacemakers as there were no women up to the job.


  • Registered Users Posts: 54,531 ✭✭✭✭walshb


    robinph wrote: »
    Nothing much different between the 2:15 paced time and the 2:17 non-paced time when you compare to Kipchoge running 2:00 with pacers and 2:01 high without pacers.

    There are several 2:17 runners now, just like there are now 2 2:01 runners in the mens event.

    The times, whilst remarkable, are not evidence in themselves.

    Does this view mean you are a troll? Like me, not automatically ready to label her a drugs cheat based off what one poster calls actual proof, her marathon time....

    Well, echat? Is this poster also a troll?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo


    robinph wrote: »
    London Marathon has had a separate womens start from the mens for years, 2003 was an oddity that it was a separate start, but with male pacemakers as there were no women up to the job.

    And other marathons?


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative


    <mod>Like it or not, accusing an athlete of doping who has never tested positive is speculation, and specifically forbidden by the forum charter.

    "Common sense" or whatever you want to call it does not come into it. Unless there is direct proof in form of a failed test, just hold your tongue.</mod>

    Is trolling not against the forum charter also?


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner


    walshb wrote: »
    That’s the reply of someone who cannot back up what they are claiming..BS

    30 minutes 10 k runner and 14.30 5 k runner...

    They doped times as well?

    2.15 is absolutely achievable for a woman who can do this. Hard and dedicated training...it’s called endurance. Old as the fooking hills..


    So why can't Flo jo be hard work and dedication?


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,412 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D


    OOnegative wrote: »
    Is trolling not against the forum charter also?

    Certainly breaks the DBaD rule. :rolleyes:


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph


    Ceepo wrote: »
    And other marathons?

    New York and Boston have separate starts, although not sure how long they have been doing so. Berlin is still just the one start.

    Not sure of the relevance to the point though. The top female only times of several runners are comparable, the only outlier is Radcliffes 2003 time. But that isn't even comparable to a mixed single start time marathon major as whilst there are other male runners running with the lead women in the likes of Berlin, they are not specifically assigned to pace the women for the distance. They just happen to be fast blokes running at the same pace. Useful to the lead women no doubt, but not the same thing as 2003 London womens race or Kipchoges Breaking2 attempts.

    The 2:15 time for Radcliffe should be discounted from such analysis for the same reasons that Kipchoges 2:00 is. She didn't get quite as much assistance as Kipchoge in terms of feed stations and freshness of the pacers, but it's the closest comparison.


  • Registered Users Posts: 54,531 ✭✭✭✭walshb


    So why can't Flo jo be hard work and dedication?

    She's dead, for starters!

    And who said she could not?


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,412 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D


    robinph wrote: »

    ...

    The 2:15 time for Radcliffe should be discounted from such analysis for the same reasons that Kipchoges 2:00 is. She didn't get quite as much assistance as Kipchoge in terms of feed stations and freshness of the pacers, but it's the closest comparison.

    Is it really a good comparison?

    Kipchoge ran behind an aerodynamic flying wedge of interchanging pacers, and those pacers were themselves paced by a moving laser on the road indicating 2-hr pace? Then whole thing happening on a flat Formula One track, with presumably unlimited water/feed stations, experimental footwear, and so on.

    Not very similar at all to 'real' racing conditions.


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph


    Murph_D wrote: »
    Is it really a good comparison?

    Kipchoge ran behind an aerodynamic flying wedge of interchanging pacers, and those pacers were themselves paced by a moving laser on the road indicating 2-hr pace? Then whole thing happening on a flat Formula One track, with presumably unlimited water/feed stations, experimental footwear, and so on.

    Not very similar at all to 'real' racing conditions.

    No it's not a perfect comparison, but it is closer than to be comparing Radcliffs 2003 run to any of the 2:17 runs by women in women only races and why they did count it as a WR, then they didn't, then they did again.

    It's just not possible for a man to pace a man to a WR from gun to tape though, so whilst the formation of Kichoges pacers was a new thing, them changing out each 5km isn't vastly different from a man running the whole distance for a woman.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner


    walshb wrote: »
    She's dead, for starters!

    And who said she could not?

    "But if you analyse both of them and their careers, eras, times etc etc etc, they are different...there's a lot more to get behind if you wated to smear Flo Jo.

    It just requires research; hell, even I am very skeptical on her."

    You also said you wouldn't lump flo and Farah together.

    So your skeptical of Flo but not Paula?


  • Registered Users Posts: 54,531 ✭✭✭✭walshb


    "But if you analyse both of them and their careers, eras, times etc etc etc, they are different...there's a lot more to get behind if you wated to smear Flo Jo.

    It just requires research; hell, even I am very skeptical on her."

    You also said you wouldn't lump flo and Farah together.

    So your skeptical of Flo but not Paula?

    Who isn't skeptical of Flo? Have you been living under a rock these past 30 + years?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI


    Lads it’s rife in sport. Right across the board. There are two football manager who have teams that don’t get tired. One of them has all the money he wants but the other guy has to take players that were unwanted at top clubs and over the hill. He improves these players with his great coaching and they turn into the best players in the world. Some of them he gets on free transfers because the old clubs released them.
    The guy with all the money doesn’t seem to like testers to know where he will be but his teams play with an intensity no other teams can match.
    Every team he manages gets this intensity through his great coaching.

    Nobody mentions it in football or asks questions.

    I have a lot of respect for athletics and cycling in the sense everybody watching knows what’s going on.

    Other sports have improvements from lads adopting cealiac diets or realizing they had asthma all these years.

    It has ruined the thoughts of any of my children getting the call to do their chosen sport professionally,there’s chances the coach or agent will want to dope them or abuse them in some way or another. They’d be safer getting an apprenticeship and probably better off in the long run.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower


    We know other sports are rife, doesn't mean we don't worry about our own. We love to see the cheats get caught. Under no illusion that football etc are clean, if their fans don't care than that's none of our business.


  • Registered Users Posts: 54,531 ✭✭✭✭walshb


    BDI wrote: »
    who have teams that don’t get tired. g.

    N

    Could you be any more vague?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI


    walshb wrote: »
    Could you be any more vague?

    I see you in the boxing forum. Heavyweight division is squeaky clean isn’t it. :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo


    robinph wrote: »
    No it's not a perfect comparison, but it is closer than to be comparing Radcliffs 2003 run to any of the 2:17 runs by women in women only races and why they did count it as a WR, then they didn't, then they did again.

    It's just not possible for a man to pace a man to a WR from gun to tape though, so whilst the formation of Kichoges pacers was a new thing, them changing out each 5km isn't vastly different from a man running the whole distance for a woman.

    "But that isn't even comparable to a mixed single start time marathon major as whilst there are other male runners running with the lead women in the likes of Berlin, they are not specifically assigned to pace the women for the distance. They just happen to be fast blokes running at the same pace. Useful to the lead women no doubt, but not the same thing as 2003 London womens race or Kipchoges Breaking2 attempts."

    Sorry but I'm slightly confused by what you say.

    Kipchoge breaking 2 is a completely different to Radcliffe being pace by men in London that's for sure. But while Radcliffe had specific Pacers, i don't see that being much different that the lead lady running with men in Berlin, as it's a lady having the benefit of working with someone for the duration of the race.

    My initial point was that women have ran with men in a good few city marathons since london 03 and cant come near 2.15..


  • Registered Users Posts: 54,531 ✭✭✭✭walshb


    BDI wrote: »
    I see you in the boxing forum. Heavyweight division is squeaky clean isn’t it. :)

    Seems to be far from it!


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph


    Ceepo wrote: »
    My initial point was that women have ran with men in a good few city marathons since london 03 and cant come near 2.15..
    But have any of the mixed races had assigned male pacers, or even unassigned ones who just happen to run with the women all the way?

    They are at the 2:17 female only time in female only races so no reason to think something a bit more organised pacing wise couldn't achieve the 2:15 standard if anyone was minded to.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo


    robinph wrote: »
    But have any of the mixed races had assigned male pacers, or even unassigned ones who just happen to run with the women all the way?

    They are at the 2:17 female only time in female only races so no reason to think something a bit more organised pacing wise couldn't achieve the 2:15 standard if anyone was minded to.

    Women have ran in mixed races and haven't came near 2.15...and while I could be wrong I think some of these had pacers... you think that buy getting "more organised " that they will run 2 minutes quicker.....
    While nothing is impossible I dont see it happening any time soon


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement