Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

If the UK parliament want an extension , but the UK government don't want an extension , then big decision is on the way by EU 27
    The EU say they won't grant an extension if the UK government don't want one.
    Anyways I wonder will Leo pass the holy water on to Boris that was given to him by Fr. Gibbons yesterday in Knock.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If the UK parliament want an extension , but the UK government don't want an extension , then big decision is on the way by EU 27
    The EU say they won't grant an extension if the UK government don't want one.
    Anyways I wonder will Leo pass the holy water on to Boris that was given to him by Fr. Gibbons yesterday in Knock.

Pretty sure the UK govt has to ask for it for the EU to grant it.

There has been some discussion about whether the UK Parliament can designate someone else to give the request. Ultimately however, the means of communicating the request is up to the procedures of the member state. The EU will merely care whether they have received what is in their eyes a formal request or not.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Pretty sure the UK govt has to ask for it for the EU to grant it.

There has been some discussion about whether the UK Parliament can designate someone else to give the request. Ultimately however, the means of communicating the request is up to the procedures of the member state. The EU will merely care whether they have received what is in their eyes a formal request or not.

I think the SC decision could well point to a resolution to this. If it finds against the Gov and gives a stinging argument along the lines of the Scottish Court of Sessions, the BJ should resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

... BJ should resign.

To which Johnson replies "if you don't like the way I conduct business as Prime Minister, you can always table a motion of no confidence and trigger an election. No? OK, I'll carry on ... "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Meanwhile in Wales UKIP if you can remember them, are trying to pretend they are still relevant despite all evidence to the contrary.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-politics-49754055

How many "leaders" have UKIP had since Farage took his self publicity machine elsewhere ?

Ah yes, UKIP - probably led by some Dick Braine at this point.

[Almost feel like I'm taunting the mods with this remark :P]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

To which Johnson replies "if you don't like the way I conduct business as Prime Minister, you can always table a motion of no confidence and trigger an election. No? OK, I'll carry on ... "

A vote on NC in BJ would not cause a GE per se, as it would be the person not the Gov.

Even with a VoNC, the HoC still could install another Gov led by the opposition.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The Mail is to start publishing private addresses of those who are involved with legal action at the Supreme Court
    https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1175379503402627077

Absolutely disgusting especially when it is of people who have already been on the end of death threats. It shows you what a mob mentality is existing in the UK now, nothing can be ruled out.

These people are totally nuts and they are going to fuel extremists the way that they are carrying on. We've saw Laura Kuenssberg also seemingly try and direct and assemble a mob towards a sick childs father recently as well.

They are whipping up hate and conflict and are enjoying it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

devnull wrote: »
    The Mail is to start publishing private addresses of those who are involved with legal action at the Supreme Court

Absolutely disgusting especially when it is of people who have already been on the end of death threats. It shows you what a mob mentality is existing in the UK now, nothing can be ruled out.

These people are totally nuts and they are going to fuel extremists the way that they are carrying on. We've saw Laura Kuenssberg also seemingly try and direct and assemble a mob towards a sick childs father recently as well.

They are whipping up hate and conflict and are enjoying it too.

No doubt the government will condemn this in clear and unambiguous language.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

A somewhat tongue-in-cheek history of European integration and the UK reaction to same over the last 60 years:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1175055625413373955.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭looksee

A somewhat tongue-in-cheek history of European integration and the UK reaction to same over the last 60 years:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1175055625413373955.html

That's very good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

Surely there are privacy laws against such publishing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

Surely there are privacy laws against such publishing
    Denied by the MoS:
    https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1175415787357704193

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

fash wrote: »

I'm leaning towards believing Maugham at this point. If he was spoofing, surely he'd have just said 'a Sunday tabloid' instead of specifically naming the MoS.

Next tweet could be a screen shot of an email or DM...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If JM mentioned MoS and Cole is speaking for them, why wouldn't he say MoS rather than speak for all tabloids?

It could however be a spoof message purporting to come from the MoS.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,291 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm leaning towards believing Maugham at this point. If he was spoofing, surely he'd have just said 'a Sunday tabloid' instead of specifically naming the MoS.

Next tweet could be a screen shot of an email or DM...

I hope so

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

looksee wrote: »
    If JM mentioned MoS and Cole is speaking for them, why wouldn't he say MoS rather than speak for all tabloids?

It could however be a spoof message purporting to come from the MoS.

He hasn't done that but has done this

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1175459677829849088

No surprise that the Brexiteers are now asking for proof or him to delete his tweets in that thread.

No surprise that the Brexiteers are now asking for proof or him to delete his tweets in that thread.

Cui bono? What would Maugham have to gain from making this story up?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Very interesting thread on Wright Bus NI current predicament.

Clearly major job losses. Brexit related but the charity donation made in 2017 is particularly .... Well....

https://twitter.com/dup_online/status/1175358929162907648

• Registered Users Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Its one persons word v another at the moment.

Remainers will believe Maugham and leavers will believe Cole, it should be easy for Maugham to prove one way or other.

Lets see how this unfolds.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It really doesn't take a genius to decipher the polarity of the British Press now.

Telegraph - Hard Brexit and Rule Brittania.

Daily Mail, ditto,

Guardian, get with the program, Corbyn is toast, but we won't say it just yet, wait and see.

Anyone got another kind of Left leaning publication to counterract the RW ****e?

I am sorry to say it, but I am proud of my country in that we are very quick to see the rubbish spouted by our own Press, and will say it out loud too. Yep IT is right on and full of support for the immigrants and the Travellers for example. But it is dismissed by many for the rubbish that it is.

The Indo is full of carp most of the time too, Tabloid really, and most stuff is behind a login now. Not that we are missing much anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,085 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It really doesn't take a genius to decipher the polarity of the British Press now.

Daily Mail, ditto,

Guardian, get with the program, Corbyn is toast, but we won't say it just yet, wait and see.

Anyone got another kind of Left leaning publication to counterract the RW ****e?

I am sorry to say it, but I am proud of my country in that we are very quick to see the rubbish spouted by our own Press, and will say it out loud too. Yep IT is right on and full of support for the immigrants and the Travellers for example. But it is dismissed by many for the rubbish that it is.

The Indo is full of carp most of the time too, Tabloid really, and most stuff is behind a login now. Not that we are missing much anyway.

The Independent is left leaning and liberal and the Mirror is left wing

I would rate the Irish press light years ahead of the UK. Very few extremists writing for them and they tend to save opinion pieces for the Sunday editions only.

The English dailies are propaganda sheets and will think nothing of openly lying to and misleading their readers (except in the area of libelling and slandering individual people, where they have to be cautious because of the law).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Strazdas wrote: »
    The Independent is left leaning and liberal and the Mirror is left wing

I would rate the Irish press light years ahead of the UK. Very few extremists writing for them and they tend to save opinion pieces for the Sunday editions only.

The English dailies are propaganda sheets and will think nothing of openly lying to and misleading their readers (except in the area of libelling and slandering individual people, where they have to be cautious because of the law).

I agree, there is money and influence behind their stance.

But on our own turf, there is still a total reluctance to state FACTS regarding immigrants and asylum seekers and Travellers, and so called homeless, etc. because it is not allowed. Ever. We cannot debate it in the open anymore.

We are muzzled by a left wing media really, be it TV, radio, newspaper or whatever.

We are not allowed to voice our views anymore. Am I overreacting to balance in reportage or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Daily Mail, ditto,

Don't forget the Daily Express. Viz is more factual.

Daily Mail, ditto,

Guardian does go down the woke hole to often for my liking, but they have plenty of various lefty writers. Whether centre left or hard left you have choices.

New Stateman is pretty solid also tbf.

Steven Bush who is one of the best UK journos writes for them also.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Guardian does go down the woke hole to often for my liking, but they have plenty of various lefty writers. Whether centre left or hard left you have choices.

He is very good. The Spectator is the mirror image of The New Statesman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

Seen my first brexit ad on tv today from HM Government ’ about leaving on the 31st oct.

I think it was on the history channel or something

He is very good. The Spectator is the mirror image of The New Statesman.

Yeah Bush is great, obviously a leftie but rarely get a sense of bias from him when reading articles which is obviously fantastic.

Spectator is fine if you ignore the tedious reactionary bores Liddle, O Neil etc.

Forsyth is clearly in the know and I refuse to hear anything negative about Katy Balls and Hardman.:o

Financial Times obviously right leaning is pretty good also.

On other lefty publications not said here yet,,,hard to know really.

The likes of Squakabox,Novarra media Canary are lefty versions of the Guido Fawkes site, total propaganda sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

listermint wrote: »
    Very interesting thread on Wright Bus NI current predicament.

Clearly major job losses. Brexit related but the charity donation made in 2017 is particularly .... Well....

https://twitter.com/dup_online/status/1175358929162907648

Who in their right mind would bother with this basket case company? Any vaguely interested parties will let it collapse then pick over the remains with the liquidators. Northern Ireland “economy” is really in dire straits now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,291 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Rjd2 wrote: »

I really don't want to see that word taking hold in this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I know we like to think of Ireland as a great nation of writers, land of saints and scholars and what have you, but i have never thought there's any comparison between the quality of our media and the UK's. They have a tradition of great newspapers producing great reporters and writers and, well, we have the Irish Times and, really, not much else. Tribune had some good qualities back in the day but was in decline from around 1990s i thought. Have always unapologetically been a UK press reader - guardian mostly, not for the lefty liberal opinion pieces but for the likes of John Crace (not as good as his predecessor Simon Hoggart, but who could possibly be?), John Harris, Ian Jack (though seems to be gone now) and others in that vein. Financial Times also a serious newspaper and feel Times has been very good on brexit particularly, fair minded and incisive (Rachel Alexander stands out). I flick through New Statesman when i see it in library, Grace Blakely column first i go to. You have al the right wing tabloid rubbish, of course. Cant deny that.

I cant say anything terrible about the Irish Times, but it does bore me ever so slightly. I'd read O'Toole of course, then maybe Ferriter on the weekend and one or two others. But i dont see the quality of analysis or writing in a lot of its output and i'd still have it head and shoulders above the opposition.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement