Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Jumpers are Coming 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

I’ll put one up for the supreme in a couple of days I think it’s overlooked in market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Ok...i am just gonna say it.....

Yorkhill for the Hennessy!
    Get on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

What about borice the Galway plate winner in the Hennessy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭maximo31

Actually heading over to the Hennessey meeting so would love to hear folks thoughts on the race here or any other race over the 2 days.
    Not a classic Hennessy by any means.
    I can see Regal Encore running on late to snatch a place anyway. 50/1 at the minute.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    What about borice the Galway plate winner in the Hennessy?

Would have to have a chance, it looks a really weak renewal, I do not see any of the Grade 1 novices from last year?

Newbury is a different onion to Ballybrit, it needs to be said. It gets boggy around there in early December and there is no 3 1/2 furlong run in with no fences... you need to be a big dirty galloper and handle the mud. Good horses tend to win the race.

Borice got 22lbs and just beat Black Corton by 3 lengths, on summer ground. Under the same conditions you would be asking Black Corton to run off 12 1/2 stone. I don't think it adds up, even with the extra 7lb's for his win.

Given all that I think Elegant Escape, although carrying top weight, could have a sneak. He is no Denman but stays all day and is just 9lb's off his Welsh national win. If you take the line that the rest of the field are pigs he could run them ragged. The bookies have him roughly 10/1, so they are looking for ew money. He won the Welsh national handy. He is not the same beast as Native River but comes from the same stable and is running in the same races. It is interesting that Lost in Translation won last week, he was favourite for this.

Of the others it looks like Cabaret Queen is thrown in, after the Munster National win getting a stone off top weight looks handy enough. She is also a mare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

A big dirty galloper haha that's a new one, very good

I have been to Newbury for the Hennessy a good few times. The straight is a good half mile long, it takes some staying. So does the day out. You would want to see the skuffs from London on the train on the way up that morning. Nailing lines of banger in the train toilets and drinking cans all the way up, at 10.30 in the morning, foooking animals. They spill out behind the stand and the place does be heaving with punters. It is a great meeting.

I was there on the Friday a few years ago and met a jockey outside who gave me a trainers enclosure ticket. He also tipped me Coneygree and Different Gravey in the bumper , they both won, I fell out of the place. The trainer ticket was free booze and I got 16/1 about Different Gravey. It was great craic altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

I remember Mick Fitz saying before that Newbury is the closest track to Lambourn and the Hennessy day is the one the stable staff use as their big day out on the beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

maximo31 wrote: »
    Actually heading over to the Hennessey meeting so would love to hear folks thoughts on the race here or any other race over the 2 days.
    I can see Regal Encore running on late to snatch a place anyway. 50/1 at the minute.

Enjoy, Newbury is a great day out.

Kalashnikov at 7/2 is juicy for that handicap on Friday what do we reckon. They bypassed the betvictor gold cup for this

• Advertisement

Not surprised but see on Twitter certain firms still quoting Bigbadandbeautiful for the champion bumper, she cannot run. No shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Yala Enki interests me but I feel he will be plotted for the Grand National. I see hes moved to Paul Nicholls's yard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

BumperD wrote: »
    3.4 miler now

Oh bollox yeah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

Thought it was only shortening by 2 furlongs

BoldReason wrote: »
    Thought it was only shortening by 2 furlongs

Ya, just under 3m6f.

lemush wrote: »
    Not surprised but see on Twitter certain firms still quoting Bigbadandbeautiful for the champion bumper, she cannot run. No shame.

Has she run 4 bumpers?

Has she run 4 bumpers?

Yep.

lemush wrote: »
    Yep.

They must have another weapon or two

They must have another weapon or two

Farouk D'alene one to keep an eye out for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 WicklowBravee

Look at @Ui_Maine Johnny Ward’s twitter. The Envoi Allen Champion Hurdle dream is alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

I like Dingo dollar here, ran well in the race last year off 148 and down to 146 now. Had the same prep run over hurdles this season as he did last and went closer off a higher mark this time around.
    Jumping let him down at times last year and surely they've done plenty of schooling with him and there's a lovely horse in there and King came back to right a wrong with Smad place in this race a few years ago, here's hoping for a repeat.

On the blind side is another who I give a chance, was a good novice hurdler and I expected big things last season novice chasing but it's taken him a while to find his feet but a staying on run last time over shorter suggested he might be ready to make his mark in staying handicaps. Unfortunately the bookies have him well found and will likely be short.

Cannot see OTBS jumping well enough, let's him down time and time again and can see it fall to pieces in a race like this. No doubt he has the natural ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭piplip87

Lads surely Yorkhill is worth a few quid at 25s. In fairness would Mullins send him over just to make up the Numbers when there's a big Irish meeting on Sunday ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

piplip87 wrote: »
    Lads surely Yorkhill is worth a few quid at 25s. In fairness would Mullins send him over just to make up the Numbers when there's a big Irish meeting on Sunday ?

yorkhill is not going to be winning a hennessy. hound.

I don't think a double Cheltenham grade 1 winner deserves to be called a hound...

In saying that I can't see him winning a Hennessy, he was always a speed horse, I think you need to be a stayer to win this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Kalashnikov at 7/2 is juicy for that handicap on Friday what do we reckon. They bypassed the betvictor gold cup for this

Yeah really fancy him myself even carrying the weight, he looks a different animal going further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Yeah really fancy him myself even carrying the weight, he looks a different animal going further.

If glen forsa is back to himself he should have the beating of Kalashnikov in receipt of 5 lbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭piplip87

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I don't think a double Cheltenham grade 1 winner deserves to be called a hound...

In saying that I can't see him winning a Hennessy, he was always a speed horse, I think you need to be a stayer to win this.

Yes. I think Yorkhill is a solid EW chance. I'm sure some bookies will pay out for 5th in this too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

piplip87 wrote: »
    Yes. I think Yorkhill is a solid EW chance. I'm sure some bookies will pay out for 5th in this too

Lads, Paddy Power, Betfair, Unibet at least.

akelly02 wrote: »
    yorkhill is not going to be winning a hennessy. hound.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

You are a hound! YOU HOUND!

Poopy mouth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

You are a hound! YOU HOUND!

Poopy mouth

sorry rodger i didnt have my sweeties when i said that, was low in sugar

Yorkie is one mad bastard of a horse, but fu*k it, I love the lunatic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

I like the conditional for the hennessy it beat west approach in Cheltenham its last time out and west approach has won in Cheltenham since.
    Has a nice weight on his back and should not be out of the places.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Yala Enki is the one i like for the Hennessey at 25s. Trained by Paul Nicholls now who has form in the race. He's a dour stayer who will love the ground. Would prefer Harry Cobden to be on rather than Briony Frost but Elegent Escape is coming in off the back of a good run in the Charlie Hall so it's understandable HC has chosen EE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Great effort from old Thistlecrack today, surprised me how well he put it up to PP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Riquelme

Every run Thistlecrack has had since his big injury in his novice chase year makes me equally sad and happy. What a horse, and what might have been.

Hopefully he's King George bound, make it an even more stellar renewal than it is currently: LostinTranslation v Cyrname v Clan des Obeaux v Altior v Footpad v Thistlecrack. Fabulous :D

Hopefully he's King George bound, make it an even more stellar renewal than it is currently: LostinTranslation v Cyrname v Clan des Obeaux v Altior v Footpad v Thistlecrack. Fabulous :D

The KG was always the plan after today apparently, hopefully they stick with that plan.

Coueur Sublime for the CH
    LUMP ON!!!

Buveur Dire!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Coueur Sublime for the CH
    LUMP ON!!!

If he wins the Champion hurdle I will be astonished.As bad and all as the race looks he has no guts and won't win a decent race all season.

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Buveur Dire!

He was injured yesterday and operated on today. Season over and possibly career

https://www.racingpost.com/news/race-reports/anxious-wait-buveur-dair-splinter-injury-to-be-assessed-at-lambourn/411720

Whatever happened to Djakadam? He missed all of last season but hes still only 10 rising 11. He's still listed with WP Mullins too.

Whatever happened to Djakadam? He missed all of last season but hes still only 10 rising 11. He's still listed with WP Mullins too.

He was retired

Never got up the hill did djak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭maximo31

Might be of interest to a few of ye : Free tickets to Naas 5th Jan...:
    https://www.racehorseownership.ie/where-to-start/owner-options/ticket-giveaway-naas/

Speaking of Djakadam, which way was actually the right way of saying his name, Jack Adam or Jacka Dam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Riquelme wrote: »
    Speaking of Djakadam, which way was actually the right way of saying his name, Jack Adam or Jacka Dam?
    Second one I think.

Un de sceaux wins the Tingle Creek gents get the Christmas money down on it

• Advertisement

Second one I think.

That's what I thought too. Hannon always called him Jack Adam but I'd disregard his view completely. However I can never forget Richard Hoiles' commentary when Coneygree won the Gold Cup and he said Jack Adam too.

Advertisement