Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

As if I'm the only one who raised financial doping FFS. Every GAA follower in the country had talked about it at one stage or another.

They all have one thing in common. They don't understand what development funds are.

Stop trying to tie it into the current squad of players. You are not happy with the dominance of the Dubs, change the record.

Ingredients: Skill, gym, training, gym, training, diet, determination and management. They give up a lot of stuff we take for granted.

Its not rocket science pal.

I'm enjoying watching them as they are a joy to watch. No apologies. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I don't think splitting Dublin is very practical. The fans would hate it and it would be a logistical nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,900 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

ClanofLams wrote: »
    I wouldn’t think so personally. It will take about four or five years to judge this thread, if Kerry win in a freak match in a few weeks and Dublin cruise to the next four All Irelands many of the points raised here will be valid. The core issue being discussed here ie. funding disparity is valid regardless and the GAA admitted as much earlier this year if I recall correctly.

They did - something along the lines of they are seeking to 'rectify' it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

I know you have problems sometimes thinking that we're all agin ya but that post was aimed at Frankie boy who only piped up in your defence because I had the temerity to criticise you previously.

Have you anything to say on the Dublin financial "doping" situation? Or do you think we're all hyped up and therefore this is all a flash in the pan?

You mentioned my bitter agenda for a full paragraph? I have never complained about that but I have always stated you're overrated. The top teams are rebuilding as you're winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,900 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I don't think splitting Dublin is very practical. The fans would hate it and it would be a logistical nightmare.

Plus there is the 'brand' issue - leinster council would not go for it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Dublin have excellent players, no doubt some hard working volunteers and top class management, I don't think anybody would dispute that. But at the same time Central HQ has given Dublin a serious leg up, supported professional structures right down to club level, from nursery to juvenile to adult. Dublin have received way over what any other county could hope to put together it terms of time, effort and money from the GAA. Trying to say that none of this had an impact is mental.

Also, trying to say that other counties should sort themselves out is condescending, as if they are just doing nothing. Other counties dont have the luxury of full time administrators and coordinators in every club. You can't just switch that on for the majority of the country, unless the gaa start spreading the love, which they have shown no signs of doing.

They could do if the CBs created business plans that made sense for HQ to back.

Remember we have counties where the CB lock their hurlers out of their own stadium because minor football. I mean what do you do with that?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/regan-blasts-offaly-board-over-hurlers-treatment-157880.html

Do you want to give these people money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Black charlie

Kerry have no chAnce in the final
    Dublin’s professional fitness levels alone are enough to win the game.
    I honestly think dublin will hammer Kerry and that result will be what changes everything
    I can see salary caps being introduced for Dublin players

You mentioned my bitter agenda for a full paragraph?

It was a sentence. And it has since been edited to remove any unintentional bile.

I have never complained about that but I have always stated you're overrated. The top teams are rebuilding as you're winning.

I only ask as then I'm unsure why you're in here talking about MH and JG managing NY?
    That's rhetorical. I don't want or expect an answer for fear of dragging this place off-topic more.

Dublin have excellent players, no doubt some hard working volunteers and top class management, I don't think anybody would dispute that. But at the same time Central HQ has given Dublin a serious leg up, supported professional structures right down to club level, from nursery to juvenile to adult. Dublin have received way over what any other county could hope to put together it terms of time, effort and money from the GAA. Trying to say that none of this had an impact is mental.

Also, trying to say that other counties should sort themselves out is condescending, as if they are just doing nothing. Other counties dont have the luxury of full time administrators and coordinators in every club. You can't just switch that on for the majority of the country, unless the gaa start spreading the love, which they have shown no signs of doing.

Its not condescending. It is condescending to listen to the continued blind mantra of yeah they have loads of money which equals success. You'd swear the Dublin players were genetically modified with bionic arms and magically bought powers.

Development funds is to get kids playing GAA and not other sports. It has nothing to do with the success of the current Dublin squad.

Truth is its purely skill, strength and conditioning by a group of amateur lads with day jobs that give up their time and have the mindset to avoid luxuries that we take everyday for granted. Its condescending to those players to suggest that money is the key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

STB. wrote: »
    Its not condescending. It is condescending to listen to the continued blind mantra of yeah they have loads of money which equals success. You'd swear the Dublin players were genetically modified with bionic arms and magically bought powers.

Truth is its purely skill, strength and conditioning by a group of amateur lads with day jobs that give up their time and have the mindset to avoid luxuries that we take everyday for granted. Its condescending to those players to suggest that money is the key.

That is true. However, a lot of Dublin fans seem to think money is entirely irrelevant. That is idiocy of the highest order.

I didn't create this thread. Opinions were asked for on here. As soon as someone expresses a counter argument to the "Dublins success is nothing to do with the many advantages they enjoy" argument posters are generally subjected to the usual "you're only bitter" nonsense.

I've already reported one post for that accusation.

They do enjoy plenty and no one ever gets at me for not pointing what you are saying out. Instead I've got an 'agenda'. I don't want Dublin to win and that's it. Their advantage will make the win that much sweeter.

You can see how low they will go with me of the back of a joke. Talking about disrespecting the hunger strikers. Insane. Absolutely insane.

It was a sentence. And it has since been edited to remove any unintentional bile.

I only ask as then I'm unsure why you're in here talking about MH and JG managing NY?
    That's rhetorical. I don't want or expect an answer for fear of dragging this place off-topic more.

As the poster practically said Dublin's success was down to JG which is absolute bollocks imo.

Calm down mate you're the most reasonable dub fan on this forum.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    We beat them. You lot surrendered. An MP representing Tyrone made a mockery of men who died on hunger strike dressed up in a monkey suit to meet the Queen.

6 hunger strikers died for that because shinners let them when they had 5 demands on the table and had decided to crawl into Stormont.

So, less of the west Brits, pal.

This guy constantly brings up politics with me because I'm from the North. Surely this is not on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,789 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The point is that Dublin did not have to fund a huge stadium to play their home games at. This is a massive advantage to any county and means they can use the money saved elsewhere.

So let’s make Dublin poorer...... that’s not much of a point in fairness. We ‘could’ play our Championship games in Parnell Park, then people from other counties would be complaining about the ability to get tickets.... so in truth back to the essence of the thread...’penalize’ Dublin by whatever means necessary...financially, splitting them up, playing with no boots on...whatever may SEEM fair to enable others to win more and Dublin win less... hmmm right

This guy constantly brings up politics with me because I'm from the North. Surely this is not on?

Report such posts and the Mods will deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

You can see how low they will go with me of the back of a joke. Talking about disrespecting the hunger strikers. Insane. Absolutely insane.

Was merely pointing to the fact that Sinn Féin current leadership concealed a deal that would have saved lives of 6 of the hunger strikers because it interfered with their plans.

I'm not making this up. Former blanketman Richard O'Rawe who was Blocks PRO wrote a book about it. Most surviving blanketmen support his view.

SF accepted Stormont.

It was you called Dubs west brits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

We beat them. You lot surrendered. An MP representing Tyrone made a mockery of men who died on hunger strike dressed up in a monkey suit to meet the Queen.

6 hunger strikers died for that because shinners let them when they had 5 demands on the table and had decided to crawl into Stormont.

So, less of the west Brits, pal.

He shouldn’t have used the term West brits even though it seemed clearly in jest but that’s truly a disgusting post. Worst thing I have read on boards in a fair while.

Report such posts and the Mods will deal with it.

I have and he's still posting with no care so they do nothing. I'm asking for help basically

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Strumms wrote: »
    So let’s make Dublin poorer...... that’s not much of a point in fairness. We ‘could’ play our Championship games in Parnell Park, then people from other counties would be complaining about the ability to get tickets.... so in truth back to the essence of the thread...’penalize’ Dublin by whatever means necessary...financially, splitting them up, playing with no boots on...whatever may SEEM fair to enable others to win more and Dublin win less... hmmm right

Most of the thread has been discussing financial disparity which currently favors Dublin to a massive extent. Removing financial disparity would not be penalising Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

STB. wrote: »
    Development funds is to get kids playing GAA and not other sports. It has nothing to do with the success of the current Dublin squad.

The full time GDOs in Dublin clubs are responsible for developing talent at all levels of the club, not just the kids.

You are right that money doesn't buy trophies and nobody is saying Dublin haven't worked hard to get to where they are. But Dublin have the money to buy professional coaching staff, who can ensure that the volunteer coaches are trained to a higher standard, which increases professional contact time with players throughout their career, which in turn prevents good players falling through the cracks and ensures players meet their potential. Which leads to an overall improvement in standards and a higher standard of average county player.

Its an advantage Dublin have over other teams. I don't know why it's so difficult to just acknowledge that fact.

• Advertisement

ClanofLams wrote: »
    He shouldn’t have used the term West brits even though it seemed clearly in jest but that’s truly a disgusting post. Worst thing I have read on boards in a fair while.

It was blantently in jest

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭padjocollins

I'm just old enough to remember watching that great Kerry team and I was sure that team would defeat any that has come and gone since, that is up to this year. the sheer talent and athleticism of that Dublin team is a sight to behold and it's a great pity there is no real competition for them right now like there was in the 70's and 80's in Kerry v Dublin. Not their fault. However they got there, they got there and it for the benefit of the gaa, other counties will have to follow suit and get more return out of their player pool. That Dublin have a much larger player base, if dublins dominance continues on a longer trend. something will prob have to be done but a solution does not come to mind. I can't for example see splitting Dublin working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Whilst the funding is a factor to Dublin's success, it is not the only factor. So many other things came good at the same time.

They got a manager that cut out the superstar Hollywood bull**** that the players had in the Dublin teams before him. If someone was better than you in training, you were benched. The team started playing as a team rather than a bunch of glory hunting individuals.

Their first all-ireland win was hugely significant. As success breeds success. It was such a roy of the rovers, glorious way to win, it brought interest back to the kids, some of which now are playing in the senior panel.

Jim Gavin has no one way of playing, they can be defensive and stifle teams of scoring opportunities, all out attack and have enough heart to fight back and find a way if games are not going to plan.

Ultimately they are a monster as all of these factors and more have happened at the right time and anytime a team makes a step forward, Dublin have already made two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I've been involved in Dublin hurling for nearly 50 years.

Have Meath ever beaten Dublin in a senior match during that time? Maybe when we were at our really worst, but perhaps have erased it from memory.
    Leinster hurling championship 2002.

Laois 1-12 Wicklow 0-09

Westmeath 1-14 Kildare 1-10

Carlow 0-09 Meath 1-09

Meath 2-16 Laois 1-18

Westmeath 1-12 Dublin 2-12

Dublin 1-24 Meath 2-12

Wexford 3-15 Dublin 2-12

Fun fact:
    Meath player Nicky Horan was the 3rd top scorer in the championship with a tally of 4-20.

There's a few results from 2002. Dublin, Meath, Laois, Westmeath and Carlow were around a similar level. If Meath got the special money treatment for hurling we could be up there with the likes of Laois. So a few other counties like Westmeath and Kildare. I've a feeling the GAA don't give two ****s about hurling in our counties however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭mcgragger

Play the all Ireland football Final somewhere other than in Dublin. Take the home advantage away. If the final was in Killarney I'd have it a 50/50.

Playing the final at Croker is like Wembley for soccer players. It's got to be there.
    Dublin fans have been outnumbered at all of the recent finals. I was at the last 5 so its not a partisan Dublin crowd. Far from it.

Dublin should have their own 30k seater stadium to get them out of Croke Park. Parnell is too small. The football team has always been well followed. Needs somewhere bigger than Parnell.

As a Dublin fan I can hardly deny there is something broken. Yeah its great winning All Irelands after the barren years but even though we are in another decider its hard for me to get excited. I'm not worried at all about facing a county that probably has the greatest pedigree of them all....that's just mad. Kerry for fu*k sake, should be terrified but no, like everyone else O think its a foregone result. It would be an absolute miracle for Kerry to win. But..... Its like if we win thats great but if we lose ill applaud Kerry as ive seen enough wins now to.last a lifetime. In 2017 a Mayo man behind me in the Cusack Stand absolutely broke down in tears after the final whistle. Devastated.
    Doubt id be like that if Dublin lose but yet if we win the 5 in a row equally I doubt ill be jumping about deliriously.

Something has to happen. Splitting the county is not an option in my opinion. Dublin has always had the biggest population by far and thats not going to change. Pumping money into Longford and Leitrim isn't going to produce an all Ireland winning team ...ever.

There is an element of Jim Gavin being a brilliant manager and having a great bunch of players. The planets have aligned but also the production line is there for players. Dublin are the football version of the all blacks where the club's are set up to produce players for the motheship. Dublin has many clubs with 100s and thousands of members. The pipeline is full of strong players.

As a GAA football fan something needs to be done. At the minute Dublin have turned the All Ireland into the Leinster. Its got to be changed but I wouldn't even know where to satrt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Strumms wrote: »
    You've had a ridiculous number of advantages and effectively every team has been penalised compared to Dublin this last 15 years. Why is it such a big deal if Dublin get penalised for the next 15?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Kerry have no chAnce in the final
    Dublin’s professional fitness levels alone are enough to win the game.
    I honestly think dublin will hammer Kerry and that result will be what changes everything
    I can see salary caps being introduced for Dublin players

salary caps ffs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I am sure most people would accept that this Dublin team are fantastic footballers and arguably the greatest to ever play the game.

Just to note some things however, Dublin used 21 players against Mayo on Saturday. Next year 10 of those players will be 30+. Even the most ardent Dublin haters will admit that players can only go for so long until they start to decline and being in your 30s most agree would be that.

We hear the usual line about this production line of Dublin, however, how many young players have broken through into the larger playing squad over the last 3 years? If there was such talent lining up to seamlessly replace the current players why are they not playing, Dublin are still relying in their squad overall on the older core group, look for example the players who came on as subs, McMahon, Andrews, Connolly and OSullivan. Only Costello and Murchan will be still at their peak in 2/3 years time.

So my point is that this Dublin team have a core who are aging and will take alot of replacing, yes of course players will come through to replace them but will they be as good? Who knows but most likely not. Or if no one comes in to replace these players, do people honestly think they will not decline?

So many things are cyclical and this is an example, Dublin benefitted from a perfect storm, an amazing group of players, a fantastic manager who facilitated them and the standards of other counties dropping. This enabled them to dominate for the last 5 years. But it will not last nothing ever does. If changes are made to the championship in reaction to Dublins current domination this will be a mistake. Changes need to be made for thelong term good of the game overall and not a short term reaction that will need fixing when Dublin are not dominating anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,408 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

kilns wrote: »
    salary caps ffs :rolleyes:

Yes players will be forced to only do jobs that pay average industrial wage. That will show them.

That is true. However, a lot of Dublin fans seem to think money is entirely irrelevant. That is idiocy of the highest order.

I have never said it is entirely irrelevant. I have said that it is condescending to the current lads that devote their time outside work to it and get the results. There are contributing factors that has us here discussing the state of the game, rather than revelling in a brilliant period in the sport where the quality of football in one county is at an all time high.

The simple fact is that after the recession the GAA decided to get organised. The tried to professionalise elements of the sport whilst continuing to not pay them. This has coincided with the emergence of a very skillfull and devoted team of players that are playing at a higher level.

The GAA realised attendance figures were dropping after 2008.

In a previous thread ClamofLams quoted the years (2005-2008) and the record attendances which were post recession. The GAA as an organisation simply never recovered to get attendences to rise outside finals. They'd like to but they went about it completely the wrong way.

Long before the Dubs went on a run, the figures were going one way. Down.

So what did the GAA do ?
    • They sold some of the game to a paywall company in Sky, ensuring a fragmented championship with viewing figures that matched the smallest ground attendance figures in Ireland.
    • They raised the price of tickets.
    • They introduced the Super 8's, the thinking being more games = more bums on seats.
    Dominance is not a key factor, but it is a factor (and it was in the past when Kerry where dominant in the 80s). The period of dominance in the past were celebrated rather than honed in on as look what they have, rather than how can we fix our own. If you don't think Kerry were well organised as well as having good fit players, back in their period of dominance, you are only codding yourself.

To get to that level, you need to match it.

The quality of fare on display is an influencing factor in whether fans attend. Only the "fans" from those counties can answer the question why they didn't turn up to support their county at a semi final last weekend (a day on which they were also represented in the minor game).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Jesus that would be awful convenient if a post was deleted that was a complete figment of your imagination.

---

While you are sleeping you can mull over the questions I've posed:

How have Dublin been handed a free stadium?

Why don't you care about the GAA bailing out other counties like Cork and Galway and thus, taking funding from Carlow and Leitrim?

Because cork and galway screwing around like they did doesn't stop too many supporters losing interest, the level of Dublin dominance is bad for the viewnunbers of the GAA overall.

The stadium thing is obvious isn't it, I presume it's due to Parnell not being invested in and Dublin being given the run of CP for championship which was built with central funds directly from a central budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,124 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The stadium thing is obvious isn't it, I presume it's due to Parnell not being invested in and Dublin being given the run of CP for championship which was built with central funds directly from a central budget.

The central budget doesn't just magically appear out of nowhere.
    Has its size got nothing to do with the number of fans Dublin bring to the game - both to Croke Park and on TV?

It seems to be entirely reasonable, after investing serious money in redeveloping a stadium in the capital city, to have games there and look for big attendances. How could the GAA have paid off Croke Park without those Dublin fans? Not a chance.

No way there'd be enough fans & money floating around in last 15 years for pay for the redevelopment of Croke Park, bailing out Páirc Uí Chaoimh, co-funding stadium work around the country and a 25,000 Dublin stadium (which was scuppered by the dysfunctional property market in Dublin and NAMA).
    If Dublin hadn't been NAMA'd, and had built a stadium on new site, you can be sure that's where they'd be playing their games and that's where the gate money would be going.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Too much of this to read and the same arguments. My only input would be Dublin shouldn't be playing as many games in Croke Park. No league game outside a league final. No Leinster game outside a final. Then the usual AISF, Final and one Super Eight game if they continue. This would bring them into line with the rest of the teams in Leinster/Ireland.

Dublin CB who's house is so much in order should build a purpose built stadium to cater for the needs of Dublin GAA the same as every other county with the same help from Croke Park/grants/Fundraising that other counties receive.

My wonderful Dublin friends all agree this needs to happen. There seems to be a bit of resistance to this on this site and I can't see how anyone would not see it as an advantage. The statistics back it up.

Whether other teams voted to keep them in Croke Park or not should be immaterial. The hierarchy of the GAA should put an end to the practice. Players should earn the right to play in our national stadium. It should cause them to get goosebumps when the first walk out of the tunnel. It shouldn't be used on a cold March evening to play a league game.

I have and he's still posting with no care so they do nothing. I'm asking for help basically

They'll get to it. Don't worry.

@Bonniedog would you wind yer neck in.

Jesus that would be awful convenient if a post was deleted that was a complete figment of your imagination.

---

While you are sleeping you can mull over the questions I've posed:

How have Dublin been handed a free stadium?

Why don't you care about the GAA bailing out other counties like Cork and Galway and thus, taking funding from Carlow and Leitrim?

Can you post a link to when the GAA bailed out Galway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Where are you going to build the South Dublin stadium?

You'll not need a stadium you could play it in a park such would be the interest from fans for a North or South Dublin

Dublin CB who's house is so much in order should build a purpose built stadium to cater for the needs of Dublin GAA the same as every other county with the same help from Croke Park/grants/Fundraising that other counties receive.

Those counties wouldn't get near the same help, if HQ wasn't getting the money from Dublin fans on a packed Hill. That money would be going to the new stadium AND HQ would have to come up with at least €5 million to help.

Maybe they should build a stadium. Maybe they shouldn't. It's up to Dublin GAA to do it if it makes sense for the GAA in the county. It shouldn't be done on the basis of Dublin dominance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Part of the reason some counties have struggled to complete with Dublin is they've pissed millions away of 50,000 + stadiums that are never full and rarely used. GAA should have a policy of 2 major stadiums per province.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,408 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

This stadium thing is very odd, ideally Dublin would have a 30,000 stadium but the reality is it would be a waste of money. Building stadiums this size for a handful of matches a year is just a waste of money. We aren’t talking about sports leagues around the world that play week in week out.

• Advertisement

Can you post a link to when the GAA bailed out Galway?

Do we not remember the audit? Or HQ now paying the loan for Athenry?

A quick Google throws up a quare amount.

Nice article in the Mirror.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/pat-nolan-cork-galway-wont-13765601

salmocab wrote: »
    This stadium thing is very odd, ideally Dublin would have a 30,000 stadium but the reality is it would be a waste of money. Building stadiums this size for a handful of matches a year is just a waste of money. We aren’t talking about sports leagues around the world that play week in week out.

But then the arguments about Dublin in CP can move onto how Dublin "wasted money on a stadium".

We can't win ya see.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Those counties wouldn't get near the same help, if HQ wasn't getting the money from Dublin fans on a packed Hill. That money would be going to the new stadium AND HQ would have to come up with at least €5 million to help.

Maybe they should build a stadium. Maybe they shouldn't. It's up to Dublin GAA to do it if it makes sense for the GAA in the county. It shouldn't be done on the basis of Dublin dominance.

The Dublin dominance thing doesn't bother me. It's just about fairness. If Shane Walsh was needed to kick a free to win an All Ireland Final a la Cluxton/Rock I would love it to on a pitch he knows every blade of grass on, or which way the breeze is likely to pull to ball and in a stadium he knows inside out.

My belief like many not just from Dublin is this is an exceptional group of players who deserve all the admiration they get. I believe the dominance part will end too at some stage.

The home pitch thing does really grate on me though.

Just sticking these back in here as they still remain unanswered from last night despite being asked over and over:

1. How have Dublin been handed a free stadium?

2. Does the financial mismanagement in Cork and Galway not concern you as it impinges on the association as a whole and means such latent giants like Wicklow and Longford can't win All-Irelands?

Do we not remember the audit? Or HQ now paying the loan for Athenry?

A quick Google throws up a quare amount.

Nice article in the Mirror.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/pat-nolan-cork-galway-wont-13765601

I know all about the audit. Our finances. Our issues. Croke Park took over the loan. Galway GAA is still paying it back. Every cent of it.

I know all about the audit. Our finances. Our issues. Croke Park took over the loan. Galway GAA is still paying it back. Every cent of it.

You asked for evidence. I gave it to you.

Is that not enough?

---

My other questions remain outstanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

However they got there, they got there and it for the benefit of the gaa, other counties will have to follow suit and get more return out of their player pool.

To repeat a point that some people want to ignore, it needs to be realised and accepted that there is nothing, nothing, that most counties can do with their player pool that will see them compete with Dublin.

This idea that a good group of lads will get together and win the top trophies is a relic of the 80/90's that has not survived the advent of sports science.

Get more return from their player pool? The likes of Fermanagh could wring 110% from every single player born in the county and they will still not compete with a county that has ten times the players and ten times the resources. There used to be levellers, fitness for example, defensive tactics, or even just catch them on the hop in knock out games, but those have all been dissected and accounted for by teams that are professional in all but name.

If the GAA think there is going to be a return to the norm then they are bigger fools than I already think they are. They need to accept that they have passed a point of no return and adapt their structures accordingly.

You asked for evidence. I gave it to you.

Is that not enough?

---

My other questions remain outstanding.

I asked where they bailed Galway Gaa out? They took over the loan. Galway Gaa are still paying it back. Just to Croke Park instead.

Never said Dublin have a free stadium. Dublin still shouldn't be playing so many games in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,789 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    You've had a ridiculous number of advantages and effectively every team has been penalised compared to Dublin this last 15 years. Why is it such a big deal if Dublin get penalised for the next 15?

Yes penalize a team and supporters who dared work hard both on and off the pitch to achieve and maintain an unprecedented level of success.

In tennis, Pete Sampras won 7 Wimbledon titles, ok not quite in a row one year he was beaten but 7 titles in 8 years. People just said fûck it, he’s just that good, a freak if you will. I never heard people begrudge his success, claim he has access to xxx amount in his budget for better training facilities, better coaches, a dietitian, a comfortable private jet to tournaments, in hotel physio.... no, he was just that much of a talent as a player and athlete, he worked hard and was ultra hungry, competitive and with an unparalleled drive to achieve success.

His drive and determination got him to where he could achieve great things. Maybe he did have a better coaching set up then Jim Courier. So what ? If he did he earned it. Maybe he could walk out his back garden at 9pm and hit a few balls on his own floodlit court, fired at him by a machine. Poor old Jim has to wait for the tennis club to open in the morning and go meet his coach. Really ? Tough shît ! Should Sampras have been disadvantaged because he had the gaul to succeed ? A bulldozer come to his house and level his tennis court ? Made play in his bare feet ? NO ! Should he or anyone care about his fellow players, putting in hours upon hours of dedicated time and effort only to fall short again and again ? Should he ****....:):rolleyes: he has achieved success through hard work, dedication, skill and talent, if that brought him 12 titles in a row...he earned and deserved each one, the very same as Dublin.

I asked where they bailed Galway Gaa out? They took over the loan. Galway Gaa are still paying it back. Just to Croke Park instead.

Taking over a loan that another party cannot repay, and restructuring it with a below market value interest rate in that party's favour is a bail out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

When Dublin get 'split' what league are the separate entities going into.
    Will GAA HQ develop the Spawell land as a new stadium will definitely be required?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement