Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cross Country Training Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭28064212

They need better tech people. Try: https://athleticsireland.entry4sports.com/

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

28064212 wrote: »
    They need better tech people. Try: https://athleticsireland.entry4sports.com/

I tried that link again. Its given me Error: 403

Will ring them tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Entry lists for Inters/Masters are out. Masters entries are hard to follow, but the o35 category looks absolutely stacked, inters looks a little light in terms of numbers:

https://www.athleticsireland.ie/downloads/other/Inter_Masters_XC_31012019.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Sacksian wrote: »
    Entry lists for Inters/Masters are out. Masters entries are hard to follow, but the o35 category looks absolutely stacked, inters looks a little light in terms of numbers:

https://www.athleticsireland.ie/downloads/other/Inter_Masters_XC_31012019.pdf

Hard to see how many are in the masters alright...
    Intermediates awful low. Have tried to get teams together here and nothing stirring , Indoors and excuses:D the reasons......... Not sure if this competition will survive. Plus the age profile of those doing Xc seems to be rising

youngrun wrote: »
    Hard to see how many are in the masters alright...
    Intermediates awful low. Have tried to get teams together here and nothing stirring , Indoors and excuses:D the reasons......... Not sure if this competition will survive. Plus the age profile of those doing Xc seems to be rising

I would love to see 3 county championship races in Dublin: 6k, 8k & 10k - each race with 3 age grades: u23 / senior / masters, and the same at National level.

Forget the Novice/Intermediate stuff - I don't think it would add much to the hassle of scoring and would hopefully increase numbers and quality. Get a league going and bring a bit more competition into it.

I'm thinking particularly of some of the young guys who come through from juniors, run away with the Novice and then are stuck doing 10k xc.

Eoin Strutt, Cathal Doyle and Sean O'Leary have been the last three winners of the Dublin Novice - I think it would be interesting if they could still compete against each other over 6k?

Any distinction between Novice and Intermediate is completely gone in Dublin. For whatever reason, the quality and depth of the field is higher in the Novice and that's the same at national level.

Particularly for Cork & Dublin athletes, you can have a middling run in the Inters and be struck out of both Novice and Intermediate for life by scoring on the winning county team unless you get regraded. There's plenty of guys in Dublin clubs who were unlucky enough to score on a winning Dublin county team in the National Intermediates who now have basically 3 cross-country races available to them every year: Dublin Senior, Leinster Senior & National Senior. I'm sure a lot just don't bother.

Presumably, everyone wants to increase participation (outside masters, who don't need much encouragement!) and, if so, then I'm not sure the Novice/Intermediate/Senior grading helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

It's unfortunate to see the numbers on the Inters dropping, can't remember the Dublin Inter numbes but it seemed healthier than Leinster or indeed how the National Inters look now.

It really does fall off a cliff after Christmas for whatever reason - while the masters continues to thrive

Duanington wrote: »
    It's unfortunate to see the numbers on the Inters dropping, can't remember the Dublin Inter numbes but it seemed healthier than Leinster or indeed how the National Inters look now.

It really does fall off a cliff after Christmas for whatever reason - while the masters continues to thrive

Think Dublin numbers were pretty okay at Intermediate this year, but maybe there's something about the 'Intermediate' name that means a lot of guys who throw their hat at the Novice think it's more of a step-up than it is. Probably not a good look that Dublin masters is going to be the biggest xc race in the country this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

I think scheduling doesn't help either tbh. Some people started the XC season back in September and had a packed schedule into early december and then it just goes quiet for 6-8 weeks. It might be a better option is to either move the odd post Christmas races to before Christmas or spread the schedule more evenly over September to January/February? Indoors and the spring road season are building up now along with many in marathon training that I think it's hard for XC to pull numbers this time of the year as people's priorities change in that Christmas break period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Think Dublin numbers were pretty okay at Intermediate this year, but maybe there's something about the 'Intermediate' name that means a lot of guys who throw their hat at the Novice think it's more of a step-up than it is. Probably not a good look that Dublin masters is going to be the biggest xc race in the country this year.

I hope the inter races continue at provincial and national level, I love those races ( although I am guilty of missing this weekend, Seville in two weeks)

• Advertisement

Duanington wrote: »
    I hope the inter races continue at provincial and national level, I love those races ( although I am guilty of missing this weekend, Seville in two weeks)

I think 8k is a great distance for xc (not my favourite) - would just love to see more doing it, and when you see the number of masters who combine road, marathon/indoor and xc, I'm not sure scheduling is the problem. Anyway, season finishes tomorrow - good luck in Seville!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Anywhere to view the results from Dundalk online yet?

Anywhere to view the results from Dundalk online yet?

Up on the wall on Dundalk IT !

A few mistakes people were saying so it may be tomorrow.
    Mens Masters winner wasnt on list so not sure what happened there...The guy who was 3rd in Raheny was first over line,Derese, then McKinstry, Hurley top 3
    Martina Kiely Finbarrs Masters women winner
    Cheryl Nolan Inter women
    Clonliffe lad won Inters Sean O Leary
    #
    This is up now. So whatever happened the first man is not the winner in Masters ? Is this the Irish passport rule I wonder? https://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/oleary-and-nolan-crown-great-day-in-dundalk

Results from yesterday:

https://www.athleticsireland.ie/downloads/results/Masters_and_Intermediate.pdf

Some great racing - men's masters was an incredibly high standard at the front and the team competition in the men's intermediate was ridiculous - NB Harriers had 4 in the top 10, Clonliffe had 4 in the top 20.

Over the intermediate, masters and novice in the last few years, the NI teams are really raising the standard for the individual and team competitions.

I thought DKIT was a perfect venue for a national race, good access, lots of parking, seemed to be no problems with the numbers, etc. First time on their course, no big hills but lots of little very sharp up and downs that slowly take their toll. Good way to end the XC Championship season!

Results from yesterday:

https://www.athleticsireland.ie/downloads/results/Masters_and_Intermediate.pdf

Some great racing - men's masters was an incredibly high standard at the front and the team competition in the men's intermediate was ridiculous - NB Harriers had 4 in the top 10, Clonliffe had 4 in the top 20.

Over the intermediate, masters and novice in the last few years, the NI teams are really raising the standard for the individual and team competitions.

I thought DKIT was a perfect venue for a national race, good access, lots of parking, seemed to be no problems with the numbers, etc. First time on their course, no big hills but lots of little very sharp up and downs that slowly take their toll. Good way to end the XC Championship season!

Yes very high quality races , ditto in womens .
    Should have used a 2k lap in Mens masters I think given half the field was lapped
    Great set up and course alright. Long haul though, drove a 640 km round trip yesterday up to it + 7 km race and feel it today:D

Might as well get this rolling again...add and amend as you see fit!

October 6th | Dublin Novice Cross Country | Phoenix Park
    October 12th | Teachers BHAA | Castletown Estate, Co. Kildare
    October 12th | Connacht XC League 1 |
    October 20th | AAI Autumn Open | National XC Course, Abbotstown
    October 20th | Munster Novice | Limerick Racecourse
    October 26th | Leinster Novice & Masters Cross Country | Gowran, Kilkenny.
    November 3rd | Dublin Senior Cross Country | Santry
    November 3rd | Connacht XC League 2 |
    November 9th | Leinster Intermediate Cross Country | Ferbane, Offaly.
    November 10th | Connacht XC League 3 |
    November 10th | Munster Senior | Killarney, Kerry.
    November 16th | Irish Life BHAA | Santry
    December 1st | Dublin Intermediate | Tymon Park
    December 1st | Munster Intermediate | Two-Mile Borris, Tipperary.
    December 8th | BHAA 5k XC | TBC
    December 15th | All Ireland Novice Cross Country | TBC
    February 8th |National Intermediate & Masters | St. Annes

Never been more unfit and demotivated heading into xc. Hopefully, do Dublin Novice and Autumn Open and, once the first couple of races are out of the way, will get the head down. Would also like to do the National Senior XC for the first time, always a brilliant race to watch and Abbotstown will be properly cut-up by the end of November!

Whatever shape I'm in, I'll be doing the National Novice - it is the best race in Ireland every year. The top 10 is an absolute savage standard but there's a very wide range of ability and a huge depth. It was won last year in 19:36 but once you get past the top 20, I don't think there is more than a couple of seconds between finishers right up to the 200s. Which means even if you're finishing 10 minutes behind the winner (and many people did), there will always be a lot of people around you. And lots of flailing and moaning in the last 100m as people try to desperately to make up a few positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Nice start to the season at the Dublin Novices.

In spite of all the rain, the ground was a lot firmer than I expected. Better finishing position (and faster time) than last year, so that's a win in my book. I've never run the Abbotstown course before - I believe it's tricky enough, even without the extra rain that's forecast.

Nice start to the season at the Dublin Novices.

In spite of all the rain, the ground was a lot firmer than I expected. Better finishing position (and faster time) than last year, so that's a win in my book. I've never run the Abbotstown course before - I believe it's tricky enough, even without the extra rain that's forecast.

I only found out about the BHAA switching the next race to Abbottstown on Sunday, so will hopefully give that a go. Brilliant idea to switch it to there.

It's a good, solid cross-country course. Good running on a lot of it, but still tricky to pace right and there's usually potential for a mudfest on the hills around the back, although it might be okay this time of year.

I think it'll get good numbers due to the location and event.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

BHAA is cancelled on Saturday.

adrian522 wrote: »
    BHAA is cancelled on Saturday.

That's really disappointing, the excuse cited by Sport Ireland Campus is also a bit odd.
    As of yet, we have not confirmed your booking and unfortunately, it is unlikely to go ahead for 12/10/19 as there won’t be anyone rostered in to create an event management plan and the weather conditions may affect a race that was booked in a few months ago for the 20/10/19.

Not sure how weather conditions this weekend might affect next weekend's Autumn Open??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, pretty bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

Yeah, pretty bizarre.

Agreed. Very strange and disappointing as I was really looking forward to racing on that course.

Incidentally, is the Masters race at next weekend's Autumn Open actually open to non-affiliated runners, or is the Spar Xperience the only option for those not in a club?

Open to everyone I'm pretty sure.

I needed my athletics Ireland number to register online for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

Open to everyone I'm pretty sure.

Sounds good. I'm currently mid pack at BHAA races. I expect the standard here would be higher and be further down the field but would I feel completely out of my depth?

MrSkinny wrote: »
    Sounds good. I'm currently mid pack at BHAA races. I expect the standard here would be higher and be further down the field but would I feel completely out of my depth?

If you're not sure, you should have a go at the Spar Xperience - if winning it would be the worst that could happen, it's worth it! I'm sure you'll get a good race anyway. And, if you're not in a club, the Spar Xperience should be a nice opportunity to have a go at the National Cross Country Course.

If you run away with the race, you'll know you can come back next year and do the Open. Alternatively, if you don't mind finishing towards the back of the race, then the Autumn Open is a great race. However, the standard would be much higher than a BHAA race (and less variance in standard than a BHAA race too).

The masters' race is a selection race for the British & Irish Masters XC International, so most of the masters are competing for a spot on those teams. The standard in the senior men's race, run at the same time, is also really high because it's one of the few chances the top guys get at xc outside the National Senior. So, while the original intention of the Autumn Open was to encourage more people to try cross-country, I'm not sure that's possible in its current format.

Here are the results from last year (click on the relevant tabs for results of individual categories) - think men's senior & master races were 7500m:

https://www.myrunresults.com/events/athletics_ireland_autumn_open_cross_country_/2794/results

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Aquals

That's really disappointing, the excuse cited by Sport Ireland Campus is also a bit odd.

Not sure how weather conditions this weekend might affect next weekend's Autumn Open??

This is disgraceful from the AAI. If they're afraid of the BHAA making the course muddy before their event the following week, they should remember that this is cross country!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Aquals wrote: »
    This is disgraceful from the AAI. If they're afraid of the BHAA making the course muddy before their event the following week, they should remember that this is cross country!!
    Sport Ireland'a decision not AAI. someone with an axe to grind no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Aquals

As an aside, does anyone know the venue for the National Novice Cross Country this year?

Aquals wrote: »
    As an aside, does anyone know the venue for the National Novice Cross Country this year?

Think it was announced towards the end of October last year. Would love to see it being held in Abbottstown.

Think it was announced towards the end of October last year. Would love to see it being held in Abbottstown.

According to Cork Athletics, it's in Navan again....

• Advertisement

According to Cork Athletics, it's in Navan again....

I could be wrong but I think that's just the Cork Athletics template copying it from last year (they have the 2020 Masters XC in DKIT, same as this year).

Navan would be great though, thought that and DKIT were good national courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Just in case anyone’s interested, I have an article about the joys of cross country (!!) in the latest Irish Runner mag in case that would be something any of you would like to read :-)

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Just in case anyone’s interested, I have an article about the joys of cross country (!!) in the latest Irish Runner mag in case that would be something any of you would like to read :-)

Thanks H, I did have a read of it, and enjoyed it. Particularly the section about scoring, and every position being important :)

Yesterday's races in Abbotstown were of very high quality - I'm certain that's the most times I've ever been lapped :eek: Thankfully most of the course, apart from around the graveyard, was fine in spite of all the rain.

https://www.myrunresults.com/events/spar_autumn_open_int_cross_country/3393/results

Thanks H, I did have a read of it, and enjoyed it. Particularly the section about scoring, and every position being important :)

Yesterday's races in Abbotstown were of very high quality - I'm certain that's the most times I've ever been lapped :eek: Thankfully most of the course, apart from around the graveyard, was fine in spite of all the rain.

https://www.myrunresults.com/events/spar_autumn_open_int_cross_country/3393/results

Well done for heading out there! Do you think a lot of the more mid-pack runners ended up doing the Xperience one? I know a lot of my clubmates did it.

Are you doing Leinster novice this weekend?

Thanks for saying you liked my article!

Well done for heading out there! Do you think a lot of the more mid-pack runners ended up doing the Xperience one? I know a lot of my clubmates did it.

Are you doing Leinster novice this weekend?

Thanks for saying you liked my article!

Yes and yes :D

Certainly, there were a good few running in the Xperience races who wouldn't have looked out of place in the Open events, as shown in the results below (over 4.1k). It seems that we may have been in the minority, in the sense that we had more runners in the Open races (6) than in the Xperience races (one).

Under 26

Over 26

My race certainly wasn't for the faint hearted - 5 laps, and I was in last place for a lot of the first two laps, followed by getting lapped repeatedly throughout my third and fourth laps. I'm still glad I took it on. Senior is another level up again - I know I'd be in way over my head there.

Might see you in Kilkenny if you're heading south east. In the meantime, keep up the good work, on and off the course :)

The standard in the Leinster novice shouldn’t be much higher than the Dublin Novice, should it? (She asked nervously)

Yes and yes :D

Certainly, there were a good few running in the Xperience races who wouldn't have looked out of place in the Open events, as shown in the results below (over 4.1k). It seems that we may have been in the minority, in the sense that we had more runners in the Open races (6) than in the Xperience races (one).

Under 26

Over 26

My race certainly wasn't for the faint hearted - 5 laps, and I was in last place for a lot of the first two laps, followed by getting lapped repeatedly throughout my third and fourth laps. I'm still glad I took it on. Senior is another level up again - I know I'd be in way over my head there.

Might see you in Kilkenny if you're heading south east. In the meantime, keep up the good work, on and off the course :)

So 114 of the 195 in the Over 26mins race ran sub 26 mins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

The standard in the Leinster novice shouldn’t be much higher than the Dublin Novice, should it? (She asked nervously)

Wouldnt think so, especially as DCM is the same weekend.

Is the national novice in December a open race?

• Advertisement

Is the national novice in December a open race?

I think you have to be in a club

Wouldnt think so, especially as DCM is the same weekend.

I would also doubt it. From my own experience last year, I found them much the same, as regards fighting to keep out of the relegation zone :D (108/112 in Dublin, 110/115 in Leinster)

Last year's races were in Navan , where I got away with wearing runners - the ground was much heavier for National Novices, at the same venue last December.

This year's Leinster Masters races were also in Gowran, in January. I've never run there before, so I'm not sure if it's usually a faster or slower track than Navan or PP.
    So 114 of the 195 in the Over 26mins race ran sub 26 mins?

Correct. If you know you're going to be much faster than 26, why not go in the first race? For those in clubs who would be of the (very high!) standard required for last Sunday, would it not make more sense to run in that one? Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Leinster is actually weaker than Dublin as team events more competitive so the big clubs usually field more depth

That applies to novice inter and senior

KSU wrote: »
    Leinster is actually weaker than Dublin as team events more competitive so the big clubs usually field more depth

That applies to novice inter and senior

That definitely used to be the case but the last three years at least, the Men's Novice in Leinster has been better in terms of individual depth at the top (barring the winners in Dublin who rarely turn up for Leinster). But from positions 3 to 30, Leinster looks to be a lot deeper now. A few guys who are low 15mins for 5k in the top 10s in the last few years.

Men's is also strong because no one's noticed Crusaders keep on turning up with the same team to win the team title the last 3 years!! And then other clubs like Dunboyne, Mullingar and Ratoath have stronger squads than in the past too.

I don't know if we have a team this year - haven't heard anything about it, which suits me!

Entries for the Novice Men 6k are here (links to other categories from there).

Entries for the Novice Men 6k are here (links to other categories from there).

Ah, that seems less strong than the last couple of years then for the men.

Women's novice looks pretty strong though!

• Advertisement

Ah, that seems less strong than the last couple of years then for the men.

Women's novice looks pretty strong though!

Nooooo! Oh well, as long as I run the whole thing and am not too far last, that's OK by me! I just keep telling myself XC is good for building strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

That definitely used to be the case but the last three years at least, the Men's Novice in Leinster has been better in terms of individual depth at the top (barring the winners in Dublin who rarely turn up for Leinster). But from positions 3 to 30, Leinster looks to be a lot deeper now. A few guys who are low 15mins for 5k in the top 10s in the last few years.

Men's is also strong because no one's noticed Crusaders keep on turning up with the same team to win the team title the last 3 years!! And then other clubs like Dunboyne, Mullingar and Ratoath have stronger squads than in the past too.

I don't know if we have a team this year - haven't heard anything about it, which suits me!

After I got absolutely blown outa it at the leinster novice, please tell me there was a decent standard in it and it wasn't just me haha.

Timmaay wrote: »
    After I got absolutely blown outa it at the leinster novice, please tell me there was a decent standard in it and it wasn't just me haha.

Maybe not quite as strong as last year, but definitely stronger overall than Dublin Novice. It's all about mid-December - everyone ahead of you has peaked already!

Maybe not quite as strong as last year, but definitely stronger overall than Dublin Novice. It's all about mid-December - everyone ahead of you has peaked already!

+1 to this.

Certainly true for the tailenders!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Did the Leinster Nov at the weekend, probably not the same pure class in the top 5 positions as say the Dublin Novice but there was a good depth throughout the field. Proper cross country course in Gowran made it interesting too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement