Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross Country Training Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Silly question perhaps, senior age grade is from 19/20 to 35 and masters is over 35 upwards - open to correction on that. Can you race senior even if over 35 or are you confined to masters and novice?

You can race senior if you're a registered athlete, not a junior and have a pulse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    You can race senior if you're a registered athlete, not a junior and have a pulse

Pretty sure the pulse is only a requirement at start line, has been questionable in the past for me falling over the finish line 😂

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

adrian522 wrote: »
    The goal for tomorrow will be 2nd last or better! (Fairly ambitious target though)

105 out of 108 so job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Instinct for self-preservation definitely not required

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Any cross country races on weekend of 11th 12th November that would be open races or open to guests from clubs out of county or province

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

youngrun wrote: »
    Any cross country races on weekend of 11th 12th November that would be open races or open to guests from clubs out of county or province

Munster Senior XC is on in Galbally on the Tipp/Limerick border that weekend, no idea about guest's for it, you'd have to ask.

youngrun wrote: »

Leinster Seniors also and think they are usually good about guesting though it's in Adamstown Wexford so might be a bit of a trek for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

It begins...

Autumn Open XC entries open.

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/downloads/events-timetable/Autumn_Open_Timetable_2018.pdf

First year since 2014 where I've not missed the track season with injury leading into cross. Looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

anyone know where national novices is on this year?

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    anyone know where national novices is on this year?

My memory of last year was that it was announced fairly late. I'm surprised Abbotstown - as the designated national course - hasn't been used for much more than seniors/open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Sacksian wrote: »
    It begins...

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/downloads/events-timetable/Autumn_Open_Timetable_2018.pdf

First year since 2014 where I've not missed the track season with injury leading into cross. Looking forward to it!

I feel sick looking at that -- 6k of mud and sand and despair ... sign me up! :pac::)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

It begins...

Was it 7.5k last year as well?

It felt a lot longer......

Was it 7.5k last year as well?

It felt a lot longer......

I think it was advertised as 8k but ended up being 7.5k - I wasn't there but I have a vague memory that they used the 1500m lap (and did 5 laps), instead of doing 4 laps of the 2k one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

If all the stars align I hope to do my first full cross country season since....2015. :eek: Can't frickin wait to get back on the grass.

Star of the Sea AC 30th Anniversary Cross Country takes place on Sunday 23rd September.

Races for all ages and levels. See attachment.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Aurelian

Hoping to do my first XC race at the end off the month. Any advice on shoes? I've been running in standard runners up to now.

Aurelian wrote: »
    Hoping to do my first XC race at the end off the month. Any advice on shoes? I've been running in standard runners up to now.

In the drier weather you can get away with just regular runners, or trail shoes. But if you intend on doing a few more races later in the winter it would be good to invest in a pair of XC spikes. Can be picked up for about €50-80 and should last you years if you mind them. They usually come with 7mm or 9mm spikes but you can buy longer ones, I usually wear 9mm or 12mm spikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I think it was advertised as 8k but ended up being 7.5k - I wasn't there but I have a vague memory that they used the 1500m lap (and did 5 laps), instead of doing 4 laps of the 2k one.

I think you're right.

I really like the course as long as it's not too boggy.

Would be great if the Novice took place there this year or headed back to Santry. The atmosphere at Santry was unreal. I've never ran a race like it. It was like a hilltop finish at the Tour de France with the crowd on top of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Aurelian

pconn062 wrote: »
    In the drier weather you can get away with just regular runners, or trail shoes. But if you intend on doing a few more races later in the winter it would be good to invest in a pair of XC spikes. Can be picked up for about €50-80 and should last you years if you mind them. They usually come with 7mm or 9mm spikes but you can buy longer ones, I usually wear 9mm or 12mm spikes.

Thanks would I use spikes in all conditions even in drier weather? Was thinking to get them soon and break them in...

• Advertisement

I think you're right.

I really like the course as long as it's not too boggy.

Would be great if the Novice took place there this year or headed back to Santry. The atmosphere at Santry was unreal. I've never ran a race like it. It was like a hilltop finish at the Tour de France with the crowd on top of you.

Yeah - surprised Abbottstown is not used for more national events. I trained on it last year a few times and thought it was nice. It's obviously not a killer course but it's very easy to get sucked in by the downhill start when all the elevation and mud are round the back, and most of the steepest rise is made entirely of mud. I'll have to go back for a few sessions this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Any advice for a thirty something year old about to venture into cross country next weekend :eek:

Any advice for a thirty something year old about to venture into cross country next weekend :eek:

Go out conservatively. That will probably be the difference between spending the latter stages of the race feeling like you're going down on an up escalator, vowing never to run xc again, and spending them passing people who went out too quickly. They will come back to you (unless you're running on a bone-dry golf course!).

Definitely worth doing a season of xc, whatever your age or standard: new training stimulus, team competition, racing skills, etc. It's a great buzz, but it's good for your running too. There's a reason almost every national-level runner from 1500m to marathon toes the line at the National Senior XC!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

I trust your going to wear spikes.
    Enjoy its a great buzz,
    Im looking forward to the upcoming XC muck, cold, rain and banter already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I really enjoyed it today. Castlegar AC in Galway open 6k xc. Hard going when you're not used to xc but looking forward to the season ahead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I really enjoyed it today. Castlegar AC in Galway open 6k xc. Hard going when you're not used to xc but looking forward to the season ahead :)

Heard it was good alright. I'm resting a niggle and was afraid to go down for fear of temptation :D Seen some photos, nice touch having to hop over a few bales :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

Any word yet on where the National Novice XC (Dec 16th) is going to held?

Here's a calendar for the XC season if you want to put some races in your diaries. Apart from National Senior XC, the venues for national competition are still to be announced, and I'm pretty sure it was fairly late last year that the Novice venue was announced.

It's missing loads of details outside Dublin/Leinster too, including Open & BHAA races outside Dublin, so stick in any extra details - and there'll be more Dublin BHAA XC races announced in the new year.

Date|Race|Venue
    October 7th|Dublin Novice|Phoenix Park
    October 13th | Connacht League|
    October 13th | BHAA Teachers | Castleknock
    October 21st | AAI Autumn Open | Abbottstown, Dublin
    October 21st | Munster Novice |
    October 27th | Leinster Novice | Navan, Co. Meath
    November 4th | Dublin Senior | TBC (Probably Santry)
    November 4th | Connacht League|
    November 11th | Leinster Senior | Adamstown, Co. Wexford
    November 11th | Munster Senior |
    November 11th | Connacht League |
    November 11th | Ulster Novice |
    November 17th | BHAA Irish Life | Santry Demesne
    November 18th | Munster Masters |
    November 25th | National Senior |Abbottstown, Dublin
    December 2nd | Dublin Intermediate | TBC (Probably Tymon)
    December 2nd | Munster Intermediate |
    December 16th | National Novice |
    January 6th | Dublin Masters | St. Annes
    January 13th | Leinster Intermediate & Masters | Venue TBC
    January 26th | Ulster Intermediate |
    February 2nd | National Intermediate & Masters|
    February 23rd | Ulster Senior |

Anyone who hasn't dabbled much before, I'd strongly recommend doing the National Novice. It's a very, very special race. While it's fierce up the front, it's also very accessible because of the size of the field and (compared to national senior) the distance - 6k/4k.

Irish Runner ran an article by a DCH athlete a few years ago that captures some of its charm:

http://www.irishrunner.ie/running-for-your-clubs-counts/

Here's a calendar for the XC season if you want to put some races in your diaries. Apart from National Senior XC, the venues for national competition are still to be announced, and I'm pretty sure it was fairly late last year that the Novice venue was announced.

It's missing loads of details outside Dublin/Leinster too, including Open & BHAA races outside Dublin, so stick in any extra details - and there'll be more Dublin BHAA XC races announced in the new year.

Date|Race|Venue
    October 7th|Dublin Novice|Phoenix Park
    October 13th | Connacht League|
    October 13th | BHAA Teachers | Castleknock
    October 21st | AAI Autumn Open | Abbottstown, Dublin
    October 21st | Munster Novice |
    October 27th | Leinster Novice | Navan, Co. Meath
    November 4th | Dublin Senior | TBC (Probably Santry)
    November 4th | Connacht League|
    November 11th | Leinster Senior | Adamstown, Co. Wexford
    November 11th | Munster Senior |
    November 11th | Connacht League |
    November 11th | Ulster Novice |
    November 17th | BHAA Irish Life | Santry Demesne
    November 18th | Munster Masters |
    November 25th | National Senior |Abbottstown, Dublin
    December 2nd | Dublin Intermediate | TBC (Probably Tymon)
    December 2nd | Munster Intermediate |
    December 16th | National Novice |
    January 6th | Dublin Masters | St. Annes
    January 13th | Leinster Intermediate & Masters | Venue TBC
    January 26th | Ulster Intermediate |
    February 2nd | National Intermediate & Masters|
    February 23rd | Ulster Senior |

Anyone who hasn't dabbled much before, I'd strongly recommend doing the National Novice. It's a very, very special race. While it's fierce up the front, it's also very accessible because of the size of the field and (compared to national senior) the distance - 6k/4k.

Irish Runner ran an article by a DCH athlete a few years ago that captures some of its charm:

http://www.irishrunner.ie/running-for-your-clubs-counts/

Fantastic article, a must read for all club athletes. Sums up everything I love about XC and club running better than I could ever do.

• Advertisement

spc78 wrote: »
    Any word yet on where the National Novice XC (Dec 16th) is going to held?

National Novice is being held in Navan. Same course as Leinster Novice and I think that's where last year's Leinster Novice was held too.

Advertisement