Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross Country Training Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Djoucer wrote: »
    So if you're an AAI member you can enter all xc races?

What's the difference between novice/inter/senior?

Cheers

These are classifications aside from the distances -

Novice 6km men / 4km women
    Intermediate 8km men / 5km women
    Senior 10km men / 6km women

Effectively if you are top three individual or on a winning team you are then ineligible going forward. If you medal at senior then you are excluded from Novice and Intermediate but can continue competing at Senior level)

(gets a bit more convoluted)
    Medalling at county level excludes you only from county Novice (can still compete at provincial and National)
    Medalling at provincial level excludes you from County and provincial (Dublin is considered a province so negates this)
    Medalling at Nationals excludes you from all three going forward.

You are no longer eligible unless you get regarded which has to be approved by county board (usually only given to team medalists or lads who have not run Novice in over 10 years)

There are also county and provinces team spots up for grabs as at all Ireland level there are medals for the following

Individual
    Club
    County
    Province (5 provinces as Dublin is classified as a province also)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Thanks for that. Makes sense.

Cheers! Plan to run a couple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

The year isn't complete until you've run through a random farmers field covered in mud... so I'll be having one or two cracks again this year post-marathon and National Senior looks as good a time as any to return to racing. Going to play it by ear for the minute though as I haven't really thought about which races I'm going to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Djoucer wrote: »
    So if you're an AAI member you can enter all xc races?

also, entry for the novice/inter/senior/masters races is through your club.

In Dublin at least, they're moving to unlimited teams. Rather than having to pick 8 on a team, and if you have more than 8 they go on a B team, you just name them all on your team and the first four across the line are the scorers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I'm just gonna leave this here :p

October 1st - Dublin Novice Cross Country - Phoenix Park
    October 14th - Teachers BHAA - Castleknock
    October 22nd - AAI Autumn Open (previously Gerry Farnan)
    November 5th - Dublin Senior Cross Country - Santry
    November 12th - Leinster Cross Country - TBC
    November 18th - Irish Life BHAA - Santry
    December 3rd - Dublin Intermediate - Tymon Park
    December 17th - All Ireland Novice Cross Country - TBC
    January 7th - Dublin Masters - St. Annes??

Any other Muckers this year?
    AAi Autumn Open one week before the DCM, probably missing out on a lot of would be entrants.

• Advertisement

AAi Autumn Open one week before the DCM, probably missing out on a lot of would be entrants.

Sadly usually very little overlap to be honest which is a pity given the huge overlap in benefits of Cross Country for Marathon runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Sorry for the noob post but what is the Autumn Open? What distances are involved and will it be chip timed?

Not a lot of info about the 2017 event other than it costs 15 quid to enter!

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Sorry for the noob post but what is the Autumn Open? What distances are involved and will it be chip timed?

I presume it will be the same as last year?

Autumn_Open_Senior_Time_Table.jpg

- Held in Abbotsown
    - Used to be Gerry Farnan Race
    - Mens 8000m, womens 6000m
    - Acts as Masters Trial for Home Nations Cross Country
    - Working towards getting European Circuit Accreditation for 2018
    - Cash incentive for 1st 5 male and female (and top 3 in Junior Race)

Elite field
    Athletics Ireland will cover the following costs for International athletes who have achieved the guideline standards
    listed below.
     €100 contribution to flights (athletes /federations book their own flights)
     1 night (Saturday) accommodation in twin room (sharing). Where flights are unavailable, accommodation
    will be provided for Sunday night.
     Saturday – Lunch and Dinner
     Sunday – Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner
     Airport collection and return
     Transport to course and return
     The flight contribution is for senior men and women only

GUIDELINES MINIMUM PERFORMANCE STANDARDS
    Senior Men: 3000 metres 8.00; 5000 metres /5 K 14.10; 10,000metres /10K 29.30
    or equivalent performance.
    Senior Women: 3000 metres 9.30; 5000 metres/5K 16.30; 10,000 metres /10K 34.30
    or equivalent performance.
    Under 20 Men: 3000 metres 8.30; 5000 metres/5K 14.50 or equivalent performance
    Under 20 Women: 3000metres 9.50; 5000 metres/5K 17.00 or equivalent performance

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Stamullen/star of the sea on this sunday. A proper cow field , pissing rain most of the week for an added bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

October 1st | Dublin Novice Cross Country | Phoenix Park
    October 1st | Wicklow Novice Cross Country | Roundwood
    October 8th | Wicklow Intermediate Cross Country | Avondale, Rathdrum
    October 14th | Teachers BHAA | Castleknock
    October 22nd | AAI Autumn Open (previously Gerry Farnan)
    October 28th | Leinster Novice & Masters Cross Country | Venue TBC
    November 5th | Dublin Senior Cross Country | Santry
    November 12th | Leinster Intermediate Cross Country | TBC
    November 18th | Irish Life BHAA | Santry
    December 3rd | Dublin Intermediate | Tymon Park
    December 17th | All Ireland Novice Cross Country | TBC
    January 7th |Dublin Masters | St. Annes??
    January TBC | Leinster Senior Cross Country | Venue TBC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

January 14th Leinster Masters & Inter?

I enjoyed the Dublin & Leinster Masters this year. Hopefully I'll get to take on more after DCM, probably starting with the BHAA Irish Life race in Santry.

January 14th Leinster Masters & Inter?

I enjoyed the Dublin & Leinster Masters this year. Hopefully I'll get to take on more after DCM, probably starting with the BHAA Irish Life race in Santry.

I received this note re Leinster fixtures, I know the masters were in Jan for last season.
    Day 2 Saturday 28th October 2017 - Leinster Cross Country Even Ages & Novice & Masters Championships

Day 3 Sunday 12th November 2017 - Leinster Cross Country Uneven Ages & Intermediate Championships

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Isn't that just wonderful planning, Autumn Festival of cross country one week before the DCM and the Leinster Novice & Masters the day before DCM

Isn't that just wonderful planning, Autumn Festival of cross country one week before the DCM and the Leinster Novice & Masters the day before DCM

Sadly the overlap in cross country runners and your average marathoner in this country is a hell of alot smaller than you might think and not for calendar clashing reasons.

I'm thinking of entering the Autumn open. Is it a good idea to do it even though I'm just an average enough runner that does Parkrun every week?

This Cross Country business sound intimidating to someone unattached to a club!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

I'm thinking of entering the Autumn open. Is it a good idea to do it even though I'm just an average enough runner that does Parkrun every week?

One thing you could do is have a look at last year's results. Bear in mind that XC times tend to be a bit slower than on the road.

In any event, it's fun to try something a bit different, especially if the parkrun is all you're doing :)

It's the same every year. You need to fit in county, province, and national XC, at novice, intermediate, and senior levels, with gaps between each one, and fitting in the European XC championship. Festival of XC is a selection race for the Home Nations XC, so needs to be before that. Start too soon and there'd be complaints about running XC in the sun, when athletes haven't had time to train after the close season. Go on too late and there are complaints that the season is too long, and it interferes with build-up to the track season. Races too close to end January/beginning of February and there are complaints about clashing with indoors.

The BHAA races would be a good introduction to cross country, wide range of standards there.

RayCun wrote: »
    The BHAA races would be a good introduction to cross country, wide range of standards there.

Good idea, checked the AAI Autumn times from last year, everyone bar 1 ran sub 33. By comparison, I ran the Terenure 5 mile in 43 mins ish.

• Advertisement

Good idea, checked the AAI Autumn times from last year, everyone bar 1 ran sub 33. By comparison, I ran the Terenure 5 mile in 43 mins ish.

It's a bit of a catch 22 these races are open and welcome to all but people are turned off because of the quality of thof field.

The more runners we can encourage to do it though the less people will be out of their depth and the more runners would follow suit.

Would definitely advise trying BHAA though XC goes a long way towards making you a better runner and will stand to you

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

I was in a similar position last year. Being a novice cx runner the Dublin Novice sounded attractive. I'm a club member by virtue of coaching kids, rather than being a club runner. My kids were already running the junior races that morning so it was a bit of a day out.

I hit the first corner and though I really should not be here. Persevered, did not get lapped and trailed in 90th of 93. I figured that the guys behind me were having a bad day relative to their usually standards whereas I was having as good a day as any I have.

My daughter was running her first u10 race and similarly had had hard day. My ordeal was worth it when her downcast face lit up when I told her I came 3rd last. "Oh daddy I came 3rd last as well". She has an inflated view of my athletic prowess so that fact that we both finished the same hugely enhanced her assessment of her own performance. Still brings a tear to my eye.

Ran most of the BHAA XC races where I finished in respectable mid-table mediocrity. Thoroughly recommend them and particularly as a place to start. Really looking forward to the start of the BHAA XC season.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Anyone going to Navan tomorrow?

adrian522 wrote: »

Had to give a miss, couldnt get the time off work so saving myself for Santry next week

Yep, making up the numbers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What's in Santry tomorrow?

The goal for tomorrow will be 2nd last or better! (Fairly ambitious target though)

What's in Santry tomorrow?

The goal for tomorrow will be 2nd last or better! (Fairly ambitious target though)

^ Dublin Juniors and Seniors - Nov 5th

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Butterbeans

Silly question perhaps, senior age grade is from 19/20 to 35 and masters is over 35 upwards - open to correction on that. Can you race senior even if over 35 or are you confined to masters and novice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Butterbeans

Silly question perhaps, senior age grade is from 19/20 to 35 and masters is over 35 upwards - open to correction on that. Can you race senior even if over 35 or are you confined to masters and novice?

Advertisement