Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Tuttlinghorn

Hi All, I would appreciate any comments here - all quotes below are before me asking for better and based on the same info i shared below (plus my postcode). seems obvious which supplier (1) offers better deal but how does this compare to what i should be able to get ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Im inclined to say none of them, if your going big get the battery.

Thanks Maulbrook - why 'none of them' - is it based on the spec quoted, or just that the price is too high and any idea on what it should be ? I am thinking of going for the 22 panel option. Re the battery - with the PHEV / EV, would that simply soak up the spare juice and act as battery ?

are there other reasons to get a battery vs just 'filling in' when the solar cannot provide power during the day or into the evening ?

Hang on, Supplier 1 quote B. ask them to throw in the 2 panels for free ie €500 off. or haggle

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Actually checked that with supplier today and it should be down as a 6kw .

I have double checked price with them and it is correct, however the battery is a cheaper version compared to what others have quoted me for. If people do not like Givenergy battery, have the similar issues the givenergy invertors?

• Advertisement

Thanks - and for anyone else reading who wants to throw in their tuppence - the prices are all pre-grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

Supplier 1 Quote A seems the best value to my eye, with 3600 grant knocked off that (do the grant paperwork yourself!), you're down to 9100 which is pretty good value considering all the future-proofed kit you'd be getting

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Both supplier 1 quotes are good. Going off the €1k/1kWh guideline.

When did you get your PHEV, and would you qualify for the EV charger grant?

Even if not, that top one is €9.7k for 6.8kwp, 5kWh storage plus inverter. Counting the Zappi separately.

As Maulbrook says, a little haggling and you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,638 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

1300 kWh usage in a month. Does that make sense?

So what is needed to replace that in solar ?

• Advertisement

Thats alot, you need to understand whats causing the high usage and making some alterations or small change in habits.

If not possible the simple answer is fill the roof or a sizeable ground mounted setup.

A East West is good south is ideal a mix of those 3 is good. North is utterly pointless.

Tried to pm you but its blocked. PM me and I will send you more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭championc

Well you're burning about 2kW per hour across the whole 24hrs. I can only assume that you are mining.

So a 5kW battery would only last about 2 hrs at that rate.

So you'd have to go big with panels and maybe 2 sets of 200ah DIY AliExpress batteries (giving 20kW) - see the DIY battery thread

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Conorkcp

Thanks to those who sent me recommendations by PM.

If it helps others, these are three of the initial quotes I got from three different suppliers. I won't bother including some of the other extortionate quotes from the names at the top of a google search. The quotes are before grant (I don't qualify) and I expect to be able to get more off with some haggling when I decide on what setup I want.

1. 4 kW (12 panels), 4.8 kW battery, 3.6 kW hybrid inverter, Eddi - 10,500
    2. 5 kW (14 panels), no battery, 5 Kw hybrid inverter, no Eddi - 7,200
    3. 7.5 kW (20 panels), no battery, 6 kw hybrid inverter, Eddi - 10,250

My current thoughts are to go big on the panels, 7.5 kW, put in a hybrid inverter but no batteries for now and probably leave out the Eddi also (hot water is currently heated by Nilan Compact P which is fairly efficient). I will almost definitely then add batteries down the line when I have data on how much excess the panels are generating, might even consider the DIY battery route. I'm thinking that adding extra panels in the future would be more expensive (due to roofing, scaffolding costs) and so best to invest in the panels now and invest in the batteries down the line.

Is there much difference between different brands of panels? The three quotes above are all for Solis inverters, but all 3 use different brands of panels - JA Solar, Longi and Qcells.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Got quoted for the same setup for €900 less so might be a bit of room for a haggle.

Having said that prices(across the board) have been rising and our install should be fairly straight forward on a bungalow with a wide open roof space.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That's no problem with a two EV household, we're one and with WFT ceasing will be back up to 20Mw a year

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

thanks DrPhil

I would qualify for the 600 EUR grant (had previously been approved for it , for current car, but didn't use it ... hopefully not going to be an issue to reapply ..)

do you (or anyone else) know what i should expect to be paying for a Zappi + install, before grant ?

I am trying to adjust my quote to compare to some other quotes on here

Most of the regular installers charge around €1,200-€1,400.

I got a Zappi alongside my PV but it was an upgrade on an existing charger so there wasn't much in the way of labour.

That didn't stop one of the main installers in the country quoting me €1,200 anyway lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,638 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

No mining, so I dunno what is using the power. Nothing I can think of, tv in kitchen is on all day, which is typical of any home that has someone in the home all day, Desktop on from 12pm to 1am, just on, it's not actually doing anything other that being there to use if needed.

Boiling kettles, toaster, sky box, isn't this all typical stuff for EVERY home though.

I'm a pretty high user and I only went through 9044kWh last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I can tell you that if you are using 2Kw/hr, that most definitely is not a normal home :-) Your average house probably rocks in with 400-500watts for the fridge, house alarm, WI-FI router and the few other random pieces that you might have going. For example, TV is about 100watts or there abouts.

If your doing a huge amount of washing/drying (think 3-4 loads a day, every day) that could explain some of it? But it's hard to see 2kw/hr for 24 hrs a day x 7 days a week.

Best 20 quid you'll spend here is getting yourself a monitor off Amazon and attaching to your main fuse box and going around the house trying to find the culprit(s). Maybe you have lots of those 50Watt halogens for lights. They do add up and replacing with LED's will see you recoup money very quickly.

Best advice I ever heard on this ....."you can't improve on it if you can't measure it". I'd tackle knowing your consumption before looking at solar. Yeah, it's less sexy, but you could see some really nice savings.

• Advertisement

Another quote:

20 PANELS 340 WATT 6.8 KW. JA SOLAR (25 YEARS GUARANTEE).

6 KW HYBRID SOLIS INVERTER.

5 KW PURE DRIVE BATTERY

EDDI WATERDIVERTER

WI FI DONGLE

PRICE 11900 EUROS INC.VAT.

Organise your own grant of 3000 to bring this to 8900 installed

Sort out your own grant? Its a good price but you will have to factor in your time for the grant and BER.

The grant process is simple enough, just fill in the form online. They will also facilitate the grant being paid to them directly as part of the deal, meaning I only have to come up with the 8,900 and not 11,900 and then have to wait on the 3000. The BER will add an additional 150/200 to the price, bringing it to around 9,000E, which I thought was very decent for a near 7KW of panels with a 5Kw puredrive battery?

As I said its a good quote but if that's the deal setup then rock on.

I hope you have gotten some references and called previous customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭championc

As others have said, you need to understand your usage. A lot of people's houses at night could be sub 200w for 8 hrs each night.

Every device will have a sticker showing it's rating. Look at your kettle - it's possibly 2kW.

Do you cook and heat the house and heat water with electricity ?

I think you're being a bit harsh there, it's a fantastic price.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

That's a good price for a nice system. The grant stuff is pretty straightforward btw. As is the BER.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭rx8

I think it's from the "Enniskillen " crew.! 😁

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement