Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm plotting another 6 landscape on the garage.

Could probably fit 60 on the back of the house if I maxed it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

I'm trying to pm you but no joy. Send me a pm and I will send you a company.

If it has a roof then panels can be fitted. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

That would be some system if the feed in tariff was available and reasonable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The FIT will never make home generation financially feasible

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Sad but true, it has turned into a total **** show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Anyone got a recommendation on 'background information' to look at when thinking about adding solar power to the house? It's showing up on homes here lately (Dingle Peninsula), herself thinks its something we should look into. I'm all in favor it, help with the bills and hopefully with an eventual electric car charger. But, total deer in the headlights as to terminology, products, sizing, .... Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Yesterday was install day! Many thanks to all here who helped me with advice.

Originally priced 14 panels, added 2 - then when they arrived they had leftover from previous job. After follwoing this thread it was an easy decision to add the 3 extra panels - ended up with 19 at 6.5 KW system. Been impressed already with even a cloudy days generation. Thanks all

BOOM that's a 100% win, nice one. Welcome to the club

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I'm about an hour from you and have 9 panels with the SAAS provider referred to on here.

Reading the last 20 or so pages of this thread will help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

Hi all, new to this, trying to do some research into solar pv, before making the plunge. Our electricity bills are relatively small, roughly €850 a year, and similar for gas. From the (limited) research I have done, financially it probably doesn’t make sense to go down the battery route, but I’ve no problem being corrected on that if I’m wrong.

Have received 2 quotes, thought I’d share them with ye and get some feedback.

1st quote:

2.72kwp system

8 qcell qpeak duo 340(W) G9+

Huawei sun2000 string inverter

iboost

incluedes Ber.

Cost before grant €8500.

2nd:

2.56 system

8 320(W)

Solis Inverter

Cost before grant is €5570

Any advice regarding quotes would be really appreciated. Or if there are installers that any of you think might be worth contacting for a quote?

Also would I be better off considering going with more panel’s or a battery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

If you only want or need a sub 3kWp system, then go Solar as a Service (SaaS) for €2400 net, spread out over 10 years (€20 per month) - which will save you an average of about €10 per month - so net cost of €10 per month. Google search mys***r.ie

But if anyone thinks of powering an EV, think minimum 4kWp.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 frisbee!

About to press go with SaaS, roof will only fit 6/7 panels max and they were by far the best quote I got for that size. Not getting the hot water diverter since it seems to double their price, might go down the DIY route with that if we're generating loads of excess.

There will be some shading from my chimney so to add on emphase microinverters to the panels (instead of adding optimisers to panels on a string inverter) adds €500 for 7 panels - spread over the 10 years.

Thanks for all the help here folks, really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

What time of day and for how long does chimney throw shade? It might not be worth it if it's early or late in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 23 frisbee!

Midday-2, pretty much peak time unfortunately!

Anyone have experience on sting inverters with optimisers vs micro inverters?

Get a price off them on buying the optimisers upfront

Micro Inverters & Optimizers

Micro Inverters create the AC at the micro inverter, thereby removing the need for an Inverter. The output is individual to each panel.

Optimizers allow for one underperforming panel to generate DC somewhat independently of the rest of the string. Without an Optimizer, the WHOLE string would be dragged down to the same level of the lowest outputting panel

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭handpref

I think the first quote is outrageous and the second way too high - what’s going on with installers-

Im saying this because my in laws got a quote yesterday - wait for it !!

7 panels €10375

I boost €968

Ber €410

total €11,753

minus grant

€9953

holy **** Batman that’s €9953 for a 2.5kwp system - these guys should be on Rogue Traders

Would I be right in the €3000-€3500 mark for 2.5kwp (no eddi or battery )?

Wow that's disgusting.

PM me if you want a reference for an installer. Discount code available as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

Thanks for the advice. There’s a huge difference between mys***r.ie and the quotes I had been given. Just wondering if many on here have gone the SaaS route, and how have they found them to deal with and how have they found it savings wise?

Probably a few years away from an EV, but might it be worth considering future proofing and adding extra panels, and maybe consider adding a battery in a few years?

Holy crap...

So that's basically €1,480 per panel fitted.

Compared to my installer and most others who are around €200.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭handpref

Aye, they will be Actively looking for fairer pricing !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

LOL (I see what you did there)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,277 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Even the BER is ridiculously overpriced 😂

€8,888,888,88 for a 2kw setup with a .05kw battery. Sorry its an in joke.

Post edited by MAULBROOK on

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pale rider

I have a 4.2 kw array, inverter and iboost about three years and have become very tuned in to all aspects of solar pv

this past week I sat in on an Active presentation after 8 as an observer for a novice friend considering it.

10 panels 3.35 kw, no battery with diverter, quote €8550 with no battery, access to app an extra €200, includes 20% discount as they would be a new customer for them in that area.

now for the lies…

constant hot water year round

dull overcast day with rain, I asked about production at that moment, told almost 3kw, my app was showing 500 watt from a 4.2 kw array at that time.

payback in about five years based on their customer feedback.

said they were the official Solar advisors to the Government.

I had enough and let him have it, he said that they had lots of positive google reviews, a lot of them curiously only ever did one review by the way, not so good on Trustpilot.

guys, I posted maybe three years back that the Solar PV business was in my experience being peddled by so many chancers and the business was the Wild West well it has not changed.

some companies are literally prepared to fleece the consumer, my advice is choose a reputable company, read boards and if you can have somebody who has knowledge of a system sit in on the meetings then do that.

I was actually so mad with this sales guy that I asked the owner of the house to show him out that this meeting was over.

The thing is he tried to defend all his lies, I came to think that he was ‘ trained ‘ that way at an induction meeting, he did not have a clue other than stick to script and sales notes.

be very careful.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Your friend is fortunate that they had you.

The sales can be very flashy, over exaggerated payback etc.

Paying for people's time, knowledge and experience is not an issue.

But the absolute over charging of some companies is ridiculous. And they only need a few suckers to keep going.

Best we can do is keep pointing people to reasonable installers and making people not just go for the first offer.

As I said, anyone looking for sub 3kWp systems should simply go SaaS.

What I would then suggest is to consider an AC Coupled battery setup if you want battery.

I would also suggest installation starting in one corner on a roof rather than being plonked in the centre, giving the possibility to add extra panels later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

100% could not agree more graememk. I mentioned it previously, it's in our best interest that installers make a profit and even a healthy profit at that. Got to paying for their time, experience and effort.... and of course we want them to stay in business. But when the profit turns to gouging, that's not right. I realize that these larger companies have different and more overheads, but still the level of abuse that's going in seems absurd. Of course they are perfectly legally entitled to charge as they see fit.

Shame though, as it's deterring solar adoption I feel. I'd say there's a good few people out there who'd get solar, but heard from their buddies that they paid €13K or worse, when in reality you can get a perfectly adequate system to match the needs for 80% of Irish households for €5-6K. So they never go there......

Gretta would be sad :-)

<whine off>

I posted on a well known Irish Facebook group related to self build and renovation. 130k+ members.

I've seen a few people on there recently posting scandalous quotes that they've been given.

I posted a long list of things to look out for, including the €1k/1kWh guide, various other things simply designed to help people avoid being conned.

Had 400+ likes in half a day and dozens of people replying about how big a help it was, then it was deleted by admin. No explanation on why. Today I mentioned the deletion on another post, and a solar installer, who had been hawking his business left right and centre on the post itself, said that it was pulled because I had criticised installers and called them "cowboys and hawkers".

In other words he squealed on me for criticising installers and admin kicked the post. An absolute disgrace. A post designed to protect people from bad installers, removed to protect the bad installers from educated customers.

• Advertisement

Saw your post. It was very informative.

It would be worth your relocating it here as a sticky

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement