Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 minivtec

Could someone send me some recommendations for a company for solar installation in Cork area, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fearcorcai

If you don't mind me asking, why? From what I can find, a north-facing roof panel generates about 60% of the electricity annually that a south-facing one would. While south is obviously preferable, do you think a north-facing panel wouldn't pay for itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

For the very small window of generation during the summer its just not worth it IMO. They wont cove the outlay.

Someone can blow this out of the water but for me East/West south are the best options. Thats where you put your money.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

If you can be 100% sure that you will self-consume any generation from the north facing panels (even during the height of summer) then go ahead.

Most people have surplus generation from their south or east/west panels during the summer, so to add a north array to that doesn't make sense IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jim_Cannon1890

Hi,

Looking to get PV on the house. Me and my partner - she works from home most of the time, I work from home some of the time. South-West facing house in Dublin.

Have got three quotes so far:

Supplier A:

System size: 4KW - PV Panels – Jinko 395W x 10 - All black Panels.

Panel Mounting – Renusol

Inverter - Solis single phase 4G inverter.

Hot water – My Eddi included.

BER Included.

Total cost: €8,000 including VAT.

SEAI grant is €1,800.

Price after grant - €6,200 ( Subject to eligibility )

Battery – to add a battery 2.4 Pylontech with 10 year warranty – add €2,000 less €1,200 grant - €800

Warranties - 25 years for both performance and panel, 10 years on inverter & battery.

Whole system Workmanship warranty - 5 years.

Insurance – Included.

Supplier B:

12 PANELS 340 WATT 4KW. JA SOLAR 25 YEARS GUARANTEE.

4.8 BATTERY

3.6 KW HYBRID SOLIS INVERTER.

EDDI WATER DIVERTER

WI FI DONGLE 

PRICE 10500 EUROS INC.VAT.

GRANT 3000 EUROS APPLY TO SEAI

TOTAL 7500 EUROS 

Supplier C:

Just got it over the phone so far, but it was essentially the same stuff as B but was close to 8k.

Should I keep looking for more quotes or are they all going to be around this level?

Thanks a lot for any help. Also if someone wants to PM me the name of the famed Eniskillen company (or anybody else!) I'd be most grateful. Supplier B is from an Eniskillen company, but just checking it's the right one!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Sorry to ask again here... the lads are onsite for the install.

I'm wanting panels installed on 3 roof aspects. Is that possible grant wise?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I don't see any reason why it would affect grant. What are you doing regarding your MPPTs though?

Supplier B is the Enniskillen company. Their caps lock key seems to be broken. 🤣

Sorry, MPPT's? I'm a bit lost there...

on the plus side, the lads reckon they can get between 16-19 panels up there in all!!

• Advertisement

Single phase inverters usually only have one or two MPPT (string) inputs.

Ideally you want one aspect per MPPT. Not sure how you will manage that with panels on three aspects, unless you are adding optimisers?

As regards the amount of panels, I had same experience with Enniskillen crowd. The roofer managed to find space I didn't know existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭idc

To have 3 aspects on a 2 MPPT inverter will mean you need optimisers. so string 1 can stay as is with no optimisers, but strings 2 & 3 will need optimisers on every panel - as far as I know thats how to do it (either that or you have a second inverter! ) Tigo optimisers are approx 45-50 euro, they do have dual panel versions as well for about 60.

Option B is the one but I feel the inverter is a little on the small side.

If you want or can add panels in the future the inverter would be undersized.

Go for a bigger inverter maybe 5 to 6kw and try and keep the price the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Covieland

Hi guys, can I get some recommendations for installers as well, can someone PM me the name of the Enniskillen crew thanks

I get yea now lads, yes, I'm going to have to use optimisers on 2 of the aspects, so possibly 10-12 optimisers, which will push the price up a bit, but I can live with that if I'm getting a nearly 6kW system!!! (especially when only a few months ago I thought I was limited to a sub 3kW system!!)

Fantastic, I hope the inverter is 6kw to make the most of it. Its not a game changer but its nice to have.

The inverter is a Solis Hybrid 6kW

Delighted with the days work....

Scaffold is up, Inverter is in place (in the attic press, and not outside in the room like I thought it might have to go), battery is in it's box in the hallway, a few rail clamps went up, and the boss sourced the optimisers needed...

I'm looking at between 17-19 panels.... a 5.78kW - 6.46kW system -- well beyond our expectations. We wee quoted for a 4.76kW system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭rx8

Can I ask who's doing the installation. Is it the Enniskillen lads ? PM please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I just got back a quote that I sent off for a month ago and had nothing to do.

A crowd in tipperary offering

8x 390w pv (3.1kw)

3 kW inverter

3200 after grant.

10 year manufacturers warranty

5 year workmanship warranty.

Never used them before but looks good on the face of it and in at the 1k/1kwh mark.

Only thing mad about them was their 5 year payback

I have the details if anyone wants to follow up.

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm stubborn but I'd like drawing less from the grid in the winter if it means sending it back in the summer. Hopefully will be less of an issue when FIT comes in 💀.

Absolutely, but you also need to be realistic with what you should be expecting to generate in winter.

Put the figures in here and see what you come out with. https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/#PVP

I know the site very well by now! I understand that I won't be generating enough to cover my daily use then, but it will reduce it somewhat.

Hopefully this can help, 6.2kw South East facing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Coo225

Hi all,

I've been getting quotes for a 4-5Kw system (~12 panels) with a battery (~3-5KwH) (no hot water diverter needed as we have an all in one heat pump system).

I've got a fair few quotes now but all are roughly 10-18k which seems to be high compared to what you are all quoting in this forum as good value. Could someone PM me a few good suppliers/installers please?

Thanks in advance :)

I just put my details in to that and F me its near as makes no difference the same. very accurate its spooky.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

How long did you have to wait between order and installation?

What type of scaffold are they using? Is it the lightweight aluminum 'towers' that clicks together?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

I got an email with an identical quote from the same crowd, it’s possible I did, but I’ve absolutely no recollection of contacting them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

Also got this quote today, seems ok, it would be €7500 after grant. Just not sure if I need a battery system, our usage the last couple of years has averaged around 2,800 kWh per year, so is a battery system justified at that usage?

12 PANELS 340WATT 4KW JA SOLAR 25 YEARS GUARANTEE.

4.8 KW. BATTERY

5KW HYBRID SOLIS INVERTER

EDDI WATER DIVERTER

WI FI DONGLE.

PRICE 10500 EUROS INC.VAT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 viewofthehill

Thanks to all here for the leads in relation to suppliers. I received 2 further quotes earlier today

Quote 1

Qcell 345w g9 gapless mono x 24 (8.28kW)

Solis hybrid inverter (no size given)

Puredrive II - 5kW battery

Renusol mounting system

€14,500

Quote 2

JA Solar 340w x 12 (4.08kW)

4.8kW Battery

5kW Solis Inverter

Eddi water diverter

Wifi dongle

€10,500

Both are pre grant as I don’t qualify. First quote would be mounted SSE and WSW. Second would be mounted SSE. Do these seem on the right lines.

A couple of questions which you may be able to help with. Can you mix orientations of panels (portrait and landscape) within a string? Can you mix wattages on the panels or should they all be the same? How much of gap is needed at the edge/ridge of the roof)? Other than cost and size is there any reason not to use higher wattage panels? e.g. on my SSE roof I could fit 20 Qcell 345w g9 (6.9kW) or 20 Qcell 450w g9 XL (9kW)

Sorry for all the questions but trying to get my head around this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement