Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Ah ok, max of 8k panels on a 6kw solis inverter then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Well Quote B supplier finally came back to me after i tried to haggle with him. I already went with a supplier and am installed but thought it was worth while knowing the response some suppliers are giving to customers.

"I tried my best to get you best price.

As you know Building material prices have gone up by 30%, it very difficult for me to get reduction in price.

Now, we are charging 12300 before grant for 4.4kw system that has only 12 panels and 4kw inverter and 5kw battery.

I can Guaranty that you have got best price in the market for 7.2kw 12700 before grant that has 18 panes and 6kw inverter and 5kw battery. You can shop around to confirm.

That quotation is valid only for 30 days, after 30 days the same system will cost you somewhere around 15200/- grant.

I tried to get you smaller system for you, but it is coming around same price as new price have been updated, and there is no point in getting smaller system with same price and less performance."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

That Quote B wasn't bad though (the original one from Sept) for 12,700 before grant, so €9700 after grant for 7.2Kwp + 5KwH battery and diverter.

What did you go for Yankinlk if it wasn't that one? (forgive me if you have mentioned previously)

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭handpref

Just to update on this and thank those who messaged me with great advice-

I was over today with my father in law and he said the sales guy in this case was so pushy he wanted them to commit to it there and then and wanted a deposit to seal the deal.

Can you imagine a retired couple of modest means trusting a sales guy to do the right thing but instead he went in for the hard sell and got quite aggressive when they said they wanted time to think about it.

There’s a lesson there, and anyone looking to go down the solar route should start here first- thanks again -

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

i suppose it wasnt all that bad but at the time i had 10K before grant as my goal/budget so i asked for a cheaper option. The sales tactics put me off tbh = saying things like the Eddi is free so i cant reduce cost dropping it.

I ended up at 6.5Kwp and 5KwH battery from someone that didnt give me the hard sell and it was roughly 2K less cost.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Two install quotes, are these reasonable? To be fitted to slate roof.

Quote 1

380W Q-Cells Solar PV x 18 = 6.84Kw

8.2Kw Givenergy Battery

5kw hybrid invertor

Eddi smart immersion

BER Cert

8,600 after grant of 3000 taken into account

Quote 2

345W Q-cells G9 all black x 23 = 7.95Kw

Solis Hybrid Invertor

5Kw Puredrive Battery

Marlec Solar iboost Hot water divertor

BER Cert

10.850 after grant of 3000 taken into account

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Is this quote definitely correct?

"Quote 1

380W Q-Cells Solar PV x 18 = 6.84Kw

8.2Kw Givenergy Battery

5kw hybrid invertor

Eddi smart immersion

BER Cert

8,600 after grant of 3000 taken into account"

That seems way too good to be true. Although I wouldn't have a Givenergy battery near me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

Tell me, what would ever possibly make you in any way consider Option 2 ?

• Advertisement

Only got that quote today, so yes very true.

What reason for not liking the Givenergy battery and what would be a good alternative?

Is it worth getting a battery now, given that we may see a FIT before the end of the year, 2400 after grant is a lot to throw at something that I presume has a limited life span?

I've read countless comments on Facebook etc from people with issues with the Givenergy batteries.

The FiT is a long way off due to the incompetence of the government and other parties. And even when it does come in I'd say it will be sh*t.

Bearing in mind the guideline of €1k per €2.5kWh of battery storage, an 8kWh for €2.4k is a great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 batmansDad

Hi All

Excuse my ignorance on PV, I'm playing catch up on research. My house is already at B1 rating and uses a ground source heatpump.

Some designs are recommending a Hotwater Diverter while others are just recommending larger battery. Personally I am inclined to go towards a battery and allow the heatpump to do what it's been doing for the past few years.

I have 3 quotes at the moment:

1. 18x 355w LG Panels, 8.2kWH Battery, Invertor, Monitoring kit, EDDI Hotwater Diverter: 14,000
    2. 12x 335w, 10.0kWh Battery, Invertor, Monitoring kit: 15,500
    3. 18x 355w LG Panels, 10.0kWH Battery (LG), Invertor, Monitoring kit, EDDI Hotwater Diverter: 18,000

Compared to everyone else's quotes these do seem rather high, any thoughts on the quote. Also if anyone has recommended links etc. it would be great.

Got any links PhilG? I'd be interested also.

I looked around and didn't see anything overtly negative on them, but of course not seeing something doesn't mean that it's not there. :-)

Crazy money for all of those. Crazy. PM me and I'll give you some details.

Just seen a fair few comments about servers down, app not working, charging issues. On Facebook pages.

Only battery I think I've seen faults reported with.

I had PylonTech installed initially, before switching to a DIY build.

Dunno. I reckon they all have some issues to varying greater/lesser degrees. I've a Givenergy battery enroute, so naturally if I've bought myself a lemon I'd like to know about it. But stuff like the app not working servers, down etc happens everywhere, and is more an issue with the backend rather than the battery itself. For example we've a thread going here about the myenergy app not logging stuff correctly with discrepancies. Wouldn't stop me from buying/using it though as the problems maybe specific to that installation.

(989) Givenergy Battery 4 month update - lots of potential - YouTube

He does mention some graphing problems with the app, and some other issues.....but again, probably no more/less than all the other brands out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Scoopsire

Anyone switched from Givenergy to DIY? Posted similar query on the DIY battery thread but no takers!

In theory a Givenergy Inverter should work as it would communicate with a BMS.

I've been having a read of the manual but its pretty basic/generic info with a few typo as a bonus.

If the inverter connects to the lithium battery, must connect the BMS to the BMS -RS485 communication port (we recommend using the GivEnergy appointed lithium battery, because the battery BMS communication meet the GivEnergy inverter. ) 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Dats_rite

I've been on this thread for about 10 or 15 pages now and i apologise if this was answered before.

Generally where does the inverter and battery sit in the house following the install of the panels? I have a large roofspace and i would have thought in here? Then how does the system get hooked into the mains? Does a cable come through the gable of the house and in trunking down into the mains box located outside my house in the gable? Or can it be connected in the roof space somehow?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

There are no preset ways to do things. My panels are on my house roof while the inverters and batteries are in the shed at the end of the garden.

Cables can run inside or outside, or both

As for the AC cable coming out of the inverter - it just needs to go into it's own breaker somewhere within your property - so could go into a mini sub-board

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

If you can connect a pylontech or something like LG chem (uses the SMA protocol) to it you'll be able to DIY the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Scoopsire

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fearcorcai

Hi all,

I've been eager to go solar for a while now and really enjoyed reading through the posts, there's enough info here to make a training course! As the name suggests, I'm in Cork and there seems to be so many companies registered on the SEAI website that it's hard to know who to talk to and who to avoid. If anyone has any suggestions, PM me please! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I was talking to a man this evening about my panels

He had been quoted 7k for 2.5kw and a 2.4kw battery after grant.

I nearly spit my tea out😂

Tried to send you a PM but its blocked. PM me and I can send you some info on a company.

Quote 1 the inverter is too small, it needs to be a 6kw. With that amount of panels it would be pushing the 5kw inverter to its max and gives you no leeway to expand in the future .I would agree with Dr.Phil about the Givenergy battery. I would agree the price looks too good to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭S'

What do you think of the following quote?

20 PANELS 340 WATT 6.8 KW JA SOLAR 25 YEARS GUARANTEE.

6KW,SOLIS HYBRID INVERTER

5KW. PURE DRIVE.

EDDI WATER DIVERTER

WIFI DONGLE

PRICE 11900 EUROS BEFORE GRANT REDUCTION INC.VAT.

11.2kWp E/W split arra. Mayo

• Advertisement

I don't think its that bad for a non grant job. Fine size setup and the inverter could take another 4 panels if you feel the need to expand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement