Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

My kids wanted to move back to Dublin a few years ago. Said its always raining down here. ☔🌈 Is all we see. But I suppose God has to test out His rainbows somewhere. Might as well be here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DWH1

Hi Everyone,

V useful forum! Learned lots and firmly down the solar rabbit hole.

I am just coming to the end of a self build. South facing, good roofspace. A2 is forecasted BER with usage of around 7000kwH per year (330 sq mt). Heat pump. MVHR, UFH etc.

I am thinking of going in heavy on the solar with a view to getting as much from the PVs as possible. I'd like to be almost 100% self sufficient the majority of the time. Possibly an 8Kwp system

Am I correct in saying I dont need a diverter as the heat pump is doing the job there for hot water? Can you string to batteries together in the system so the panels can fill these during the day and then we tap into these in the evening? Are the batteries smart enough to be able to set a charge going from grid in the evening when the solar gain during the day is low enough (winter)? I have wiring run to the apex of the roof and am putting a sub board in the garage with a view to being 100% ready for these.

Any approx spec I can open some quotes with assuming I have the real estate on the roof

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Diverter: LOL - that's always a tough one to answer definitively. In reality no one probably "needs" a diverter. Leaving the heat pump aside for a bit, even without a diverter someone could manually flick the switch on the immersion when you see it's sunny outside and utilize manually your PV generation to heat your water. Albeit your manually doing what the diverter does. Heat pump aside again, i think the once off cost is worth it for me personally. I don't have a heat pump and the thoughts of instant "free" (LOL) hot water 7-8 months of the year - yeah, that's kinda neat.

Fiscally though you'll probably take decades to get back your 400-500 euros, so on the money side it's not great. Gets more complicated if you have a heat pump. It's less advantageous for you, but I wouldn't go as far personally as to say it's pointless. The heat pump still requires energy, and while you might be getting a COP of 2-3 (more?), that input energy might be coming from the grid as opposed to an eddi only using excess.

Really does depend a lot I think on your usage, how much hot water you get through, the times of day that there is demand on the water. etc. If you need it early morning before sun is up and your not well insulated you may not have enough hot water etc. If your going hard core on a 8Kwp system that's going to be rocking in at €10K or above (ballpark). I'd probably get one, as it doesn't massively affect your overall cost, but yeah, your probably should think about your usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DWH1

Thanks for your info.

It's a new build, A2 BER so the insulation/air tightness is insane. Thanks for feedback. When I get some quotes I will share for feedback. I am expecting something in the 10K + bracket.

• Advertisement

I have Pm you tell them what you need and they will guide you in the right direction.

Regarding panels fit as many as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Glad to share. Unless you're very much edge case, it would be super unusual to be spending more than €10K+ on solar .... that would give you a LOT of power.

Now that said, you may very well need it, and with the uptick in EV's our electricity usage is going to explode over the next few years and also , as others have said, no one every complained "I have too many panels" :-) but I wouldn't like to see you super massively over provision what you need either. I'd highly encourage you to do the math.

You've already got a good installer there from Maulbrook and I can send you another if needed (PM me) but they'll be about the same price.

Don't panic they might still have stock,on the plus side the other ones are cheaper so if you expand them it will be less expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kennypowers

Looking at something similar in size and price any recommendations pms for suppliers in Kerry/ Cork ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ELCAT2009

Thanks. I actually contacted them today. They quoted for Dyness as they were out of stock of Pylontech. They said they will be getting more is so requoted with Pylontech (same price)which im happier with as it seems to be a well known brand without any issues that I have seen.

I need some opinions.

Only have my system in 3 months and looking to extend.

Currently 3.24kw with a 3kw inverter West facing.

The options I think I have are

1. Increase panels on the west but more than likely east. I'd either need a bigger inverter or is there an option to have a second string with a separate inverter .

No grant available though.

2.get more panels and a 2.4kw battery.

I'd have the additional cost of a hybrid inverter. As above to get a second one for additional panels or just increase the size for all panels.

Grant available as its a battery. I know its small but its a start. Option is also there to get the grant and sell the battery on.

I'm not sure how many more panels I'd get. Probably only 3 giving me a total of 12

It would be an additional 1.08 kW giving me a grant of 900 if I got a battery with it.

What's your thoughts?

I reckon I could get a better deal from Saas supplier than previously but I've not spoken to them yet. A few contacts are getting them in so I'm due commission at this stage.

You will need a hybrid inverter for a battery.

Like I have always said go as big as you can.

Your supplier should help you out with the inverter and everything else TBF.

Post edited by MAULBROOK on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Can you put any on the east side?

But there's no issue having 2 (or more) inverters in the same house.

Im not sure on how the grant works, I think you can get the battery grant separately, but not sure if you can get the extra panel allowance or not.

I can put more on the east. Grant is available per kW of panels(300) if I also have a battery (600)

I'm just not so sure if paying double the price for a hybrid inverter is worth it. The 600 would be swallowed up

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Hybrid inverter is roughly twice the price of straight inverter, then you’ve price of a few panels plus their installation costs and then (likely) a small battery. Just price all the above materials on midsummer and then look at the gain from just the extra panels, then decide if all this is worth it (even after the grant).

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

Hi all. Newbie to all this really. Is there an optimum output from the PV panels, inverter and battery you should aim for regarding cost effectiveness, grants and overall electricity use? I have a South facing 40 degree roof. Thanks.

To keep it simple, fill the roof with panels. You will never regret having too many but you will regret having too few.

Battery minimum 5kw (but thats just me).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭championc

Well a 40 deg roof is a fantastic help, particularly for the winter months with short days and a low sun.

You obviously want to try and cover the base load during cloudy days.

Aim to be spending €1k per 1kWp of panels. If you only plan for about a 3kWp battery less system, consider SaaS.

IMO, you'd really need a minimum of about a 4kWp system to consider for EV charging.

Remember that a 5kW battery will save you about 4 units of electricity for about 200 days per year - so maybe only save €100 per year, and might only have a lifespan of 10 years

Honestly, the best thing to do is to read this thread from start to finish, you'll come across specs that suit you and can make note of them and then .......... read the thread again! Then get quotes, then come back here and PM others with better quotes than you. It's not just about value, it's about fit for purpose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

For a guy that wants to forget about SAAS,you need to let it go.

Edit has been done, never post while drunk. Face plant by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Fair play, we've all done it, be careful with that plant though.😀

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Proach

Good day all,

Been reading the discussions here and it's about the best information available in Ireland so thank you! Wanted to get an opinion on a quote received. Ive got a heat pump and soon 2 EV'S , so I'm wondering if more panels is best for me? Any advice appreciated.

System size: 5KW - PV Panels – Jinko 395W x 13 - All black Panels.

Panel Mounting – Renusol

Inverter - Solis single phase 4G inverter.

Total cost: €8,300 including VAT.

SEAI grant is €1,800.

Price after grant - €6,500 ( Subject to eligibility )

Battery – to add a 10 year Pylontech – add €3,500 less €1,200 grant – Total : €2,300

You will never regret having too many but you will regret having too few.

Thats too expensive, it can be bettered. IMO

Get the 5G/6kw Solis inverter, it will give you extra capacity if you need to expand in the future. Feck all difference in the price on the inverters, so go bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

Does anyone here have an Eddi installed in their hotpress? The co I'm likely going to go with wants to put it beside the fuse board as it won't have a warranty cover in the there.

I wouldn't put it in the hot press, it is already warm when in use and needs ventilation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

Yeah I was thinking it might be a bit warm for it but some of the images online show it in a hot press or close to the immersion I'm going to try to get it on the wall beside the hotpress the immersion switch would back on to it so should be straight forward but would need the Harvi.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Niceday20

The correct answer may depend on what immersion heater(s) you either have or plan to have.

My eddi is installed next to the fuse board, but I only have a single feed from the fuse board to the hot press so can only support a single heater element despite it being a top entry dual sink/bath element. I have seen comments that using the eddi to switch between a top entry sink/bath immersion has little benefit as they both work off a single thermostat so no benefit in having the eddi in the hot press.

If on the other hand you have two immersion elements, ie top side/top entry and bottom side entry, then having the eddi control both probably worth it if you have a large enough hot water tank. What wiring you have, or plan to have, may influence your decision on where to located the eddi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Re this bit, because the boards quote tool is stupid...

Am I picking you up wrong or are you saying that they quoted you €3.5k for a single PylonTech 2.4kWh battery???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement