Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Dude - for the €1,850 figure, gaddamit it was random garo. I was using that purely as an example to illustrate my point that it's not typically linear. But ok, sure if you want an example....

Second one isn't double the price. Yet the capacity is doubled. So yeah, it's not-linear, at least not for every situation. DIY batteries are I know. The price for the 8.2Kwhr (not 10Kwhr) was taken from my own quote actually. I might have in advertently screen shot it with wrong number there, and for that I apologize. I did previously have it posted at the correct €3,200 (check back through the thread if you don't believe me)

I see your points, and in fact I agree with many of them. I'm am however fairly comfortable with my math, and the value system that I attribute to it. I don't think your wrong and you are well within your rights to question, but not sure it's in the best interests to continue this argument.

I still reckon a 5Kwhr is probably the "sweet spot" for 85% of homes out there and I'm good with that position. Your obviously of the train of thought that 2.6 Kwhr is better. That's cool. No issues there. World is better with different viewpoints.

Post edited by bullit_dodger on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I am impressed. You backed your claim with evidence and I concede the point. You are 100% correct. While the cells themselves increase linearly things like the BMS, cabling, rack are fixed costs. One point of order. Those numbers in your screenshot are pre-VAT numbers.

I ran your calculations in Excel for an 8.2kWh battery (3500 EUR per midsummer).

Looks pretty good. If I change to a 2.6kWh battery and assume 100% day use I get 12.3 years payback. You have changed my mind. (Subject to the SEAI grant caveat).

I'll add here that I was too wedded to my calculations from two years ago when a 2.4kWh pylontech went for 1200 and because every pylontech has its own BMS stacking them didn't save money. Oh and I used to pay 15c/7.5c for electricity back then.

But in the case of the poster who has a choice whether to go for 2.6 or 5.2, I'll say that I am still correct as the installer is offering the 5.2 for 1300 extra (instead of 995 extra when buyng online) which as per your own calculations makes the payback period 17 years and thus extends payback for the system.

So the installer is pocketing that 300 (and another 100 of VAT savings as they pay a lower rate of 13.5%) pushing out the payback period for the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 paulos

Hi,I

'm looking for an installer in the Dublin area,if you could pm me suppliers.

thanks.

I spent ages thinking on the "best" way to model things, and in truth, there is no perfect answer. Really does depend on so many variables - that people have to crunch your own numbers to know for sure. Your own unit rates, the provider your with (some have penalites if you use too little!), your usage plays a part of course and also when in the day you use things (ovens, gaming pc's, etc), are you on day/night tarrifs. etc, etc.

Generally, if your someone reading this and you can't be arsed to crunch the numbers (I know not everyone is so inclined....hehe) your safe enough with either a 2.5Kwhr or 5Kwhr. Larger batteries (than 5Kwhr) have their place for sure, but you have to have the consumption to utilize it or your effectively wasting money. Head over to the DIY battery thread for good advice there if your looking to get something big on the cheap!

One thing you can update your spreadsheet with Garo is that you have 90% efficiency in and 90% out. Giving you an overall roundtrip of 81%? I used an overall roundtrip of 85% - but that's actually a little pessimist apparently.

(959) Givenergy AC3K 5.2Kw home/solar battery discharge/efficiency test - YouTube (skip to last minute for the details)

He found 87% and some of the other comments there on that Youtube page reporting that 89% - 90% is pretty standard for an AC battery. If we use 90% you drop the payback time further from your 10.42 years, although naturally it drops the payback time across all sizes of course irrespective of size.

I also realize the efficiency will slightly deteriorate over the lifetime of the battery. So maybe 85% roundtrip is fair....dunno.

We're probably boring people :-)

• Advertisement

I think this test could easily be off by a few percent. He didn't explain why the app thought it was discharging at 2.2kW when the only thing that was running was a 2kW inverter. The Givenergy battery app may not have measured charging or discharging losses accurately. One of of the denizens of this forum did a test with professional grade equipment and found 80% efficiency for a LifePO battery. Efficiency also depends on charge and discharge rates, battery temp etc. We can go with 85% as a compromise. That shortens payback time by half a year.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Thats my battery efficiency since Jan, Measured externally on an emon tx, AC kwh out of battery / AC kwh into battery, July and Aug have been warmer... maybe that improves it.

You referring to Unkel's test a few months back? Quiet impressed by that too , nice piece of work that if your reading Unkel. Although these Givenergy batteries are apparently AC batteries.

Now, my knowledge here is a little spare (so feel free to correct!!) - but my understanding was that full load discharging on these type of batteries would be 90% efficient, and that loads in the low 100's watt range they would be closer to 98% efficient. I'm not really sure how or why they can achieve those figures. Assuming 90% was the normal for full discharge, and since that steady load your man had of 2kw on the battery wouldn't be indicative of my normal house which is 1kw, I'm hoping for a higher figure than 85% myself. For sure, I'll be giving some real life measurements once I'm up and running.....

Just as an FYI : German start-up offers 5.2 kWh AC battery that works without inverter – pv magazine International (pv-magazine.com)

(I probably should stop hogging the thread and we should get back to quotes, but maybe others out there find it interesting. :-)

Let's switch to the correct thread. We have gone way off-topic. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/117977281#Comment_117977281

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Thanks be, this rabbit hole was getting confusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Birka

€3950 for a 5.2 kWh LiFePO4 battery AC coupled into an existing system with a non-hybrid inverter. Less €600 grant.

Bit high given that you can buy the parts for under 3k. https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/giv-energy/giv-ac-3-5200-bundle

Interesting that your link shows that it can support dedicated critical circuits as is - I was quoted an additional €1100 plus to provide power to one or two dedicated circuits during power cuts. Maybe the guy that I was talking to had another solution in mind

Most inverter have an EPS output now. Maybe the extra cost had to do with wiring up those circuits into the house? There's also the isolator/flip switch to consider. I would ask what precisely you are getting for that 1100. Mayb they just don't want the hassle and are quoting a go-away price?

Might be a go-away price - he didn't sound enthusiastic. I'll find out exactly what's included - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Proach

Final quote, followed advise here and went bigger. Seems very fair but would love some thoughts. Have both a heat pump and 2x EV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Could anyone point me in the direction of a podcast about domestic solar.

Just to hear chats/discussions and absorb info.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jessica.Fletcher

I know someone that paid 20k for for 7kw system with battery but im not sure on the details.

Talked into it by a door to door sales man in Naas.

Some sort of voucher scheme 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

My first quote:

4.2kw system

11 x 400w solar panels

6kw Hybrid Inverter

4.8kw Battery

Hot water diverter

€13.5k before grant

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ajea

Hi Guys

Am a newbie to this forum and am looking for advice on installing solar PV. I got the below quote recently which is similar to the one reference on this thread and I was wondering if anyone could advice if this is a reasonable price.

10 Panels 380W Q-cells

3.6kW GivEnergy Inverter

5.2kWh GivEnergy Battery

EDDI smart immersion

Quote Total € 9,880

€ 6,950 after grant

I would appreciate if anyone could recommend other company or send me a link to the Saas company that is being talked about on this thread.

Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 45,309 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Not sure you'll need that size of battery as well as a diverter with a 3.8 kwp system

That's awful.

Can you message me your installer details? Interested to find out is there a pattern in these bad quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ajea

Not sure myself either but could it be because I listed I have an EV hence the bigger size battery?

It's so bad it sounds unbelievable tbh.

What size was the battery?..

That doesn't make sense. Having an EV should have nothing to do with size of the the solar batteries. I'm pretty sure you won't be charging your EV from the batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Hi Guys

Similar dwelling and heating system, what do you advise for me?

What sort of cost? I've been quoted 20k

Cheers

• Advertisement

Well thats a record and not in a good way.

Did the company have the number 8 in their name.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement