Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Do you have a separate inverter in the Garage, or do you have a duct to run the DC cables over to inverter?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ELCAT2009

Thanks for that. Nice to see the pictures of the finished product. Would be great if a few more could do the same :-) I got my official quote today from the Enniskillen boys but they have changed the batteries to Dyness from Pylontech which is what they had originally quoted me for. Anyone else heard or know anything about Dyness batteries?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

From what i can find they are cheaper than the Pylon and fairly new to the market.

Check out this https://powerforum.co.za/topic/6098-dyness-vs-pylon/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

I am coming to all this new and trying to get quotes,learn and not get ripped off. Could you please PM contact details for SaaS. I assume they are the Eniskilllen company that I see referenced .

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭randomname2005

No, SAAS is a different company, if you Google solar as a service ireland you will find them. Or check pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ELCAT2009

Thanks yes had found that myself with a quick google. Was wondering if anyone on here who has already used the Enniskillen boys had found they actually installed the Dyness onsite and also if anyone had any knowledge of their performance. I guess the fact they are pretty new means there wont be info on that yet which worries me a bit in how they will perform long term or if they are troublesome in anyway...am i being done and should I insist on the Polytech? Perhaps it's a an issue of supply chain again and pylontech cant be got?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Supply is going to cause big issues for the next year. Never heard of Dyness mentioned here before so time to haggle with them……

• Registered Users Posts: 35,816 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I so need to learn more about all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭the-island-man

Just going back to the payback on Solar Panels. Should the increase in your BER and the expected corresponding increase in value of your home be counted as part of the payback? Would it possibly increase the value enough for some peoples mortgage to be pushed into a better LTV ratio?

I have never thought of that but good point.

I suppose it could, look at it this way because of solar pv I now have a B2 BER which means it can get a better mortgage rate with AIB with there green mortgage of 2.15%.

Thats a lot better than the 3.3% i was on. Yes its a pain in the hole changing provider but worth it imo. Mortgage gone down by about €300 per month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Definitely worth factoring in if you're able to switch on the back of an install.

Some people may not be able to avail of a change in mortgage- if they are on a fixed rate for example, as it may not be financially viable to break the fixed contract. Worth noting.

We are on a fixed rate and it still worked out better for us to pay the penalty. Yes its a hit but some times it works out better in the long run.

Nice one. Definitely a case by case regarding fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,233 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

I was considering starting a small,small PV thread, the set up I have is mostly free,getting batteries from the local garage when they won't turn over a starter motor,but will charge my various USB devices,run 12 volt Led lighting,radio,wireless speakers etc.

Small scale PV,means for very little outlay,few hundred say,you can generate your own 5 and 12 volt supply.,when ESB/NIE supply theses to my premises they start out generating 44,000

volts 60 miles away.

It's a great way to learn basic electronics,staying away from the mains, putting panels in series/parallel, charging lipo,lead acids etc,

I've also introduced a small 100 watt turbine,for less than €200, keeps things going when sun doesn't

Anyway,I digress, if there's an interest, it's a bit of a hobby, fun and informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Conorkcp

Can anyone recommend a solar panel installer that would cover Co. Meath? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭domeld

I just got quotation for 10 panels, seems very expensive:

10 x OR6H365M 365 Watt Panels (Peimar)

1 x SUN2000-5KTL-L1 (Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.)

1 x Luna2000-5-S0 (Huawei)

10 x SUN2000-450W-P, 1 x Scaffolding

14000 euro (before grant), can somebody give me recommendation for cheeper company?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Just starting to look into this now and looking to get a good battery and hot water system installed in Dublin on a south facing roof. Am I right in thinking that SaaS will always be more expensive than paying outright? I'm getting external insulation put in over the next few weeks as well, so I'd rather pay monthly for the solar and not splurge the guts of an extra ten grand up front at a time when I've already got big outlays. Was also going to have the battery stored next to the water tank in the eaves of the converted attic, is that somewhere you'd usually put it? Thanks for all the help, this thread is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Hot water system being solar thermal where you have the tubes on your roof, or an immersion diverter where excess after appliance usage and battery charged is used to heat water in the immersion?

Depending on specifics, SaaS can be cheaper, if you go with the basic system they have - €2400 over ten years (after the grant) is cheaper than most other suppliers will offer even paying up front. If you want battery and more panels and an immersion diverter, then they can become very expensive very quickly. Their immersion diverter works out at over 3x the cost it should. It shouldn't cost more than about €500 quid for an Eddi immersion diverter (using as a basis (I think it was SouthWesterly's quote of) €435 and allowing for price increase due to shortage/better margin). It costs an extra €15 quid per month over ten years through SaaS which is €1800.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Thanks for this, it's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. It's an emersion diverter that I was thinking of. I'll do some thinking about whether or not I need the battery. It would seem silly not to go with one. I also have a Nissan Leaf with a normal Wallbox charger. Will need to think if there's any benefit to changing that. Thanks again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Re Car Charge Point, financially speaking there is zero reason in changing it, you will never recoup your cost of change

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,233 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Is that a new record for the worst quote yet? 2-3 times what it should be.

Some absolute scumbags out there. This kind of crap should be highlighted to trading standards. That's no better than trying to con some old person's bank info off them and stripping their account.

To be honest its the market but thanks to this forum I think we have stopped some people getting ripped off.

I think we should be proud of that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If even one person has been helped from been ripped off then this forum is worthwhile, the more the merrier though....the knowledge on this forum far exceeds both sales and operational PV folk

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

DrPhiG, MAULBROOK +1 from me.

Sadly I can (probably) guess who the supplier is. Thing is though, as much as I think it's scandalous, it's a free market I guess. If they want to charge that, and they can get people to pay it, more power to them. The problem though is that is sort of preys on the ignorance of peoples knowledge as to what these things "actually" cost.

I've no issue in them making a few quid - in fact I WANT them to make a healthy profit. If they don't make a healthy profit then they go out of business and we're a few installers less choice on the market and people are out of a job. Its where the healthy profit turns to gouging....that's not right. But I guess that's the world we live in.

That's scandalous. It's treble what it should be.

Can you please pm me the installer so I can tell people I know to avoid them. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

Hi @randomname2005 this looks very similar to what I am after wouldn't mind a PM if you could? my quote seems excessive in comparison ?!

• Install 10 No. 340W Qcell Solar Panels (3.4kWp) €5,399.00
    • Huaewi Sun2000 3KLT inverter €2,299.00
    • Supply and fit Solar iBoost free €0.00
    • Supply and fit fireproof mounting to meet SEAI and Irish building regulations €299.00
    • Supply and fit Dual Array €289.00
    • Building Energy Rating (BER assessment - required for SEAI grant) €250.00

Total Cost (inc VAT) €8,536.00

Grant €1,800.00

Net Cost €6,736.00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,816 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I know nothing about it, but I know I have the perfect roof for it, and that I use quite a lot of electricity. Don't ask me how much though, is there a way to find out my monthly usage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement