Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,233 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

PylonTech 2.4 are in the region of €900-€1k last I checked. Big supply shortages though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

about 800-1000ish

One of the biggest advantages of the battery end of the grant that you got 600 for the battery, but it enabled an extra 600 could be claimed on the extra panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Got 9 panels(3.24kwh) with SAAS in the summer.

A friend is getting panels and it's perfect opportunity to get some more at a reasonable cost while they are down this way.

At 1000 it makes sense to get a battery as well with the 600 grant and 300 extra for more panels.

With 4 extra panels (1.4kw) for 1600 plus battery of 1000 - 900 grant. Equals 1700.

The initial 1800 grant was for 2.5kwh. Would I be able to include the extra 2 panels I've already got into a future equation or has that boat sailed?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

What about the inverter for the battery?

Ship may have sailed on the grant for extra panels.

I think you can get the battery one separately but chat to your installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I've not costed the bigger inverter with them. We're still just thinking about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ELCAT2009

Hi All, Looking at installing Solar PV in coming months and have got some quotes which to me see expensive. I would welcome comment / feed back from those of you who have more knowledge and experience in this area. Or if any of you have installed PV systems that you are happy with , a PM of the company name would be appreciated!

As back round, i have a heat pump in my house which provides all my heating. I currently use my night rate electrical to run the heat pump. Im thinking that the next car I will buy will be EV (probably within the next 12-18 months so also trying to future proof for this. Current electrical usage comes to approx. 9000 kw per year (4000 day & 5000 night)

Also is there much difference between the panel brand, battery brand and inverter brands in terms of reliability?

Quote 1:

Quote 2:

Quote 3:

Last one is off the charts obviously but the other two are quote close but still seem expensive enough! Both are indicating pay back after approx. 10-11 years.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭rx8

Firstly, forget about pay back. There's too many variables to accurately determine that. Estimates of 4300kw production are also speculation. You should be looking to pay approx 1K per kwp installed, plus extras. (Battery, diverter, optimisers etc.)

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭championc

First of all, the first option makes the most sense. It's all about getting the highest kWp per € while maximizing your available roof space.

There is very little difference overall between panels and inverters.

Now to the financials.

You say that your annual daytime usage is 4000kWh. Even with a big system, you'll maybe average 75%, so saving 3000 x about 0.15c = €450 - €500 per year. I assume that your current whole bill (excluding standing charges and pso) is nowhere even €1000, and you are likely so save very little of your night usage.

You can look at the monthly stats thread to get good "real world" feedback on monthly and annual generation figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

All three quotes seem frightfully expensive. If I were you I would go for 6+kW as in the first quote but the 2.4 Pylontech and Solis. All the panel and inverter makes you list above are decent. But some are more expensive than others. Similarly 400W+ panels are often more expensive on a per watt basis than 350-375W panels.

Do you have a lot of shading on your roof? Optimizers will add about 1000 to your quote.

Finally, you won't use much solar for your heatpump as in the winter solar production is low (sun is lower in the sky). As an example my system produces 10x as much in May as in December. You could use solar PV for your car on sunny summer days if the car is home and you have a Zappi. You could also reduce payback time by changing some habits and running the washer/dryer and dishwasher during the day in the summer.

500 per annum seems a reasonable estimate of what you can save - maybe a bit more now that electricity prices are on the rise. I would be looking at quotes closer to the 7k mark for your size system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I have gotten a good quote from a company with two offices, one in Sligo and the other in Dublin. I don't think I am allowed to name them, but I think their location is okay to mention as people often talk about the company from Eniskillen. I know that bullit_dodger has used them, but wondering if anyone else has positive or negative comments as I am inclined to go with them.

In an update to my earlier message, I have gotten replies from companies when I asked about how close they could come to matching the price from SaaS. Some quite snotty, but this company are close to matching it, however, costs are upfront rather than spread over ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

One comment on those lads, more a statement of the state of the market than with the lads themselves. Have the panels 3-4 weeks on the roof but waiting for the spark to come out and do the hookup. This isn't their fault as such as they have supply issues on the batteries (they are also sold out on midesummer.ie and midsummer.co.uk) , so it's not something local to them.

Just thought you should know so you are fully aware of the situation. Again, it would seem that most batteries are just hard to get at the moment. Not sure what's causing that, perhaps there's a tie in with the global semiconductor shortages? Or there's been a big uptake recently across residents with solar due to rising energy prices......dunno

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Aye. I have my system installed a couple of weeks at this stage, but still waiting for the battery. Supply chains are in tatters.

Ah the pandemic, it just goes to show how quick you can stop a planet but restarting it is a whole different story.

I feel we will be stuck with these shortages for a while too come.

I suppose with price inflation someone ie Joe punter will have to pay for lost profits.

My lack of knowledge in how all these pieces go together is showing! I would have thought at this stage in the development of solar tech with a hybrid inverter it would be a case of plugging the battery into a port on the inverter or to cables coming from the inverter. Both of which should be easy enough to do and not require the entire system to be kept on hold. Some rejigging of the system to use the battery rather than export to the grid would be needed too, but nothing stopping the solar generated from being used.

Can I ask (via PM) who you used?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Am I right in thinking that Tesla Powerwall's now comply with ESB/regs and can be used in Ireland?

They are about €7,550 delivered (or if you were buying 2 of them, say between 2 people, you'd only pay €6,850 each (€6,500 if buying 3))

Seriously money, but for a serious battery with 13.5kWh usable...

https://www.europe-solarstore.com/tesla-powerwall.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Can anyone in the Roscommon area give me a recommendation for an installer to come and advise/quote me?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Way overrpiced, go look at the Solar Battery Options thread, Phil put in a ~20kWh system recently, read up and take the leap of faith with your own!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Thanks. Yes overall annual bill coming to around €1400-€1500 but that includes PSO etc. I change suppliers every year in Sept. Last years rates from Enegria were cheapest at approx 14cent day and 7 cent night (incl VAT). I just changed earlier this week now as the cheapest i could find is Electric Ireland at 16cent day and 8 cent night approx. so prices only going one way

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

That price is Ex VAT. Assuming supplier sources it for you and installs it, you are looking at an additional 13.5%. Additional 23% if not.

DIY battery isn't for everyone, but for the prices, they need to be seriously considered.

• Advertisement

Thanks. My system would be a split system with 7 panels on south east roof and 7 on the south west roof. I have a chimney on the south west roof so some shading particularly when sun would be due west so might get away with optimisers only on the SW roof. I do plan to change my habits when I get PV...i guess it will just take a bit of time to figure out patterns of when there is enough energy to run appliances such as washing machine and even heat pump during the day.

I want what ever system i go with to have good info available (either via an app or preferably a desk top / laptop version) on what is produced, used, stored on a daily / weekly / month basis so i can figure when is best to run appliances / heat pump.

I was hoping for quotes around eth 7k mark but haven't found any yet!

Yes, first quote i got said it would be the new year before he could fit me in!

No, your right generally on the plug and play nature about the panels, inverter and battery.

Sadly while I mentioned "battery" in my post what I should have said was battery and inverter. If it was just the battery that was missing sure, they could have hooked me up and then added the battery later - albeit two separate trips for a spark out to my house. Stock due in early in November as far as I can see on midsummer.co.uk. It's not so much the installer that has the shortage, but with the uptake in solar installations recently and the general semi-conductor shortage there seems to be general shortages across the landscape. (speculation a little on my part that the shortage is semiconductor related) Prices have also risen due to shipping cost increases on containers. I've seen that on everything from solar pieces, to gaming chairs and indeed it maybe the shipping which is causing the delays ... and not semi-conductor shortages.

Hmm, given that I am looking at going with the same supplier as you that is definitely good to know. Thanks.

I am still going back and forth about the battery. Presumably there is an extra cost for the hybrid inverter vs regular, and then the cost of the battery. The only way I can see the battery being in any beneficial is to charge it at night time from say September to April using night rate electricity and discharging it during the day if the solar doesn't produce enough to power the house, and in the evening before night rate kicks in. For a 5kw battery, that is (with a 10c difference between night and day/24 hour rates) 50c per day or about e100 per year.

There's around 20% losses on battery between efficiencies in and out so your €100 = €80

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

If there is no shading on SE then you don't need optimizers on that half. The inverters being installed today are dual string and each string is independently optimized wrt current and voltage.

I agree about good monitoring. Solis has that as does Growatt and a few others. Look at the other long solar threads to see screenshots of what people have.

The math depends on your usage. I wrote an app to calculate it - but again, it very much depends on your specific usage.

Assuming you have 5Kwhr battery and you have 15% losses, and the unit costs above, you will see it return about €200-250. If you consume less than 16.7 units like like do, or your day/night split currently is much different then you might see longer paybacks.

On the whole though (edge cases aside), with grant money I think a 5Kwhr batter is generally something to recommend - but you need to do the math based on your consumption profile. Without grant money, or going DIY battery (which has other emotional rewards), I'd probably pass.

Larger batteries (assuming you can consume the units stored) tend to payback quicker as the kwhr storage/€ is greater.

You can reduce battery payback by getting a Pylontech for the grant and then selling it on to fund DIY battery

Hopefully my final post here looking for feedback on quotes. This is what I am inclined to go with at the moment from the Sligo & Dublin based company:

8x 380W Q-Cells Solar PV Panels/Modules

3.6kW Ginlong Solis 4G Inverter

EDDI Smart Immersion

PV Protect / Shunt Switch

AC & DC Isolators, and Cable

Renusol Roof Mounting Kit

Electrical installation, Roof installation

Commissioning of System with Online Monitoring

€5100 before grant. €3310 after grant which brings it pretty close to the €1 per watt.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement