Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NIO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭testtech05

I think all NIO cars are more then $45k?

I think the idea is that cars which allow for battery swapping such as NIO will be exempt from the 45k limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

testtech05 wrote: »
    I think the idea is that cars which allow for battery swapping such as NIO will be exempt from the 45k limit.

Almost like it was perfectly set up to exclude Tesla and include Nio/Xpeng.......:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

You mean to imply that the Chinese Government would be participating in some form of anti - competitive or protectionist practices?

Nah..... .

It's far more likely that the Chinese see battery swap as a way of making the initial cost of acquiring an EV cheaper (is you buy one without a battery, and just rent a battery instead) :)

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I think all NIO cars are more then $45k?

I can see NIO quickly enough coming out with the likes of a 25k car myself, similar strategy to Tesla, started out with the super expensive sportscar to get the small scale assembly going, then after the luxury market with high margins, and next step is to really scale production with lower priced models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

testtech05 wrote: »

Ah your dead right, I read it arse ways.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭crushproof

garrettod wrote: »

Great to see, this battery and semi conductor shortage is really holding the industry back though!

Yup - seems to be getting a mention from every car company now.

What I don't get is why the chip manufacturers can't maintain production at last year's levels, never mind increase output?

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Nio on a nice run today, got an upgrade from City at $58 dollars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Underground

I wanted some EV exposure so got in on NIO at $35. Late to the party I know, but better late than slightly earlier (ie when this was in the $60's) on this one.

I have watched a good few videos on the company and it seems to be a pretty impressive setup and a serious operation, I just hope it isn't all smoke and mirrors, always that fear with a Chinese outfit. Judging by how they've ramped up production it doesn't appear to be.

I got in at $50bn market cap. If NIO really is the real deal, it could 5x over 5 years imo.

• Advertisement

I got in at $50bn market cap. If NIO really is the real deal, it could 5x over 5 years imo.

I think they'll be one of the EV manufacturers to dominate the Chinese Market. The battery as a service concept seems a real winner, IMHO.

That said, I also think that it'll be a few years before we see significant growth in the value of their stock, purely because of the shortage of chips, and by extension, the limit on the number of new cars that they'll be able to produce in the next 12-18 months.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

What a day for us who are heavy into NIO. Long may it continue and hopefully it heads back up to near 60 dollars a share

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

A great week for Nio. I’m very happy I was averaged down the last few months. I do recall a few people here who sold and hopefully they don’t regret it! I expect to be holding Nio for years! If it breaks 46 on Monday it could break out with FOMO kicking in.

Let the good times roll my fellow Nio-ites

Timmaay wrote: »
    NIO still about 20% of my overall stocks/crypto portfolio, if it does pump rapidly to 45 or high 40s I may sell some and reduce my exposure to it. Still long term bullish, but I gotta go reduce the exposure of my portfolio to growth stocks with these crazy price swings.

Finally sold 20% of my Nio today for 47$, which is about 100% gain (I've lost track because I've bought and sold along the way and have NIO in both NYSE and Frankfurt). No change in my conviction on Nio but my risk tolerance is certainly changing and I'm more trying to protect my capital rather than aim for 100% growth etc.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Finally sold 20% of my Nio today for 47$, which is about 100% gain (I've lost track because I've bought and sold along the way and have NIO in both NYSE and Frankfurt). No change in my conviction on Nio but my risk tolerance is certainly changing and I'm more trying to protect my capital rather than aim for 100% growth etc.

I'm at over 200% growth. Thinking of averaging down a small bit but it's definitely a long term hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Seen this on Twitter , a 1.8B USD $NIO buy order. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Seen this on Twitter , a 1.8B USD $NIO buy order. :eek:

Not many funds with that much money to drop on NIO if it is true!

NIO Power Day on July 9.

Thanks,

G.

My portfolio was up nearly 2.9% today. Mainly due to $NIO. I’d be happy if it just breaks 50 this week. I think they’re also announcing June deliveries on June which hopefully will be positive also.

• Advertisement

Nio at 53 :)

Thanks,

G.

garrettod wrote: »
    Nio at 53 :)

I’m very happy with all my NIO shopping in the 30’s and 40’s now :) I play on holding onto this stock for years!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

I’m very happy with all my NIO shopping in the 30’s and 40’s now :) I play on holding onto this stock for years!!!

Fair play to you. My BEP is $47 soo finally in the green after what seems like an eternity in the red. EV makers are flavour of the month again. Happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Treppen

If you can ignore the relentless mentioning of higher lows and lower highs, then it might be of some use. He's a day trader though.

Every time I read an article about the motor industry, its mentioning the chip shortages are causing delays - this time, it was a BMW related article.

While the chip shortage must be causing a headache for the likes of NIO, its good that the wider industry is on a fairly even playing field, with regards to the problem.

Thanks,

G.

I sold 200 NIO shares when it pumped up to 55 early July (clearly looked overbought), and have bought back 250 shares the last few pullbacks in the low 40s, the aim is to sell if we get any sort of sudden pump above 55 with the likes of end of month delivery numbers or when this Chinese FUD ends. I've more NIO shares in a different account that I'm holding long term, but happy to swingtrade these and aim to make a tidy profit every month or so.

NIO delivered 21,896 cars in Q2 - that's up circa 112%, compared to the same period last year.

https://www.nio.com/news/nio-inc-provides-june-and-second-quarter-2021-delivery-update

NIO releases Q2 sales and how to value its stock, compared to Tesla, Ford and other rivals.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/nio-releases-earnings-wednesday-heres-how-to-value-its-stock-compared-to-tesla-ford-and-other-rivals-11628716814

Thanks,

G.

NIO expects third-quarter 2021 deliveries in the band of 23,000-25,000 vehicles, signaling an uptick in the range of 88.4% to 104.8%.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/nios-q2-loss-narrows-sales-115811255.html

Thanks,

G.

NIO just reported their monthly and quarterly deliveries for Q3, and the numbers are above expectations!

• NIO delivered 10,628 vehicles globally in September 2021, increasing by 125.7% year-over-year
    • NIO delivered 24,439 vehicles in the three months ended September 2021, increasing by 100.2% year-over-year. This result beat the expected 22,500 to 23,500 vehicles.
    • NIO is making outstanding progress in production and deliveries. They are also pushing a foothold in Europe and on September 30, 2021, NIO opened its NIO House and completed its first batch of vehicle deliveries in Norway.

https://simplywall.st/news/stocks/us/automobiles/nyse-nio/nio/news/nio-nysenio-delivers-a-record-number-of-vehicles-here-is-whe?blueprint=1760554&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=finance_user&utm_campaign=integrated-pitch

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement

the company right now is in alot better position than when it was 64dollars 9months ago, the whole China scandal unfairly holding back the share price still. Will be interesting to see if the chip shortage continues to hold back output once this new factory starts up.

Post edited by Timmaay on

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭HelloYoungBoy

Wolf of Harcourt Street has released a NIO stock analysis in his newsletter

https://www.wolfofharcourtstreet.com/p/nio-inc-investment-thesis

Absolutely brutal Oct delivery figure's due to the factory retooling and a Chinese holiday, but all sounds like its well worth the short term pain.

Brutal, but investors obviously are still very confident. The stock went up yesterday. I'm in heavy on Nio, and plan to stay there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭crushproof

Fairly certain the expectation of bad delivery figures was already baked into the price. Still a hell of a lot potential as long the Chinese economy doesn't implode

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sporter1

Just wondering what your expectations of how high the share price will go, or are you holding for longer term.

• Advertisement

Wow up 5% today. Mighty

Hopefully many more +5% days to come. NEO park (their new factory, will produce over a million cars a yr) is ahead of schedule and should be up and running for summer 2022 instead of the autumn. Another bank price upgrade, to 70$. Nio is something like 18% of my overall portfolio, I do need to move away from growth stocks, however I'm very optimistic about Nio still so will happily be hanging onto all them shares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Have a few shares of NIO myself. This article on SeekingAlpha is publicly available (I think)

In summary : Good potential, but certainly not risk free.

(Check out the comments.... They are often the most insightful parts of an SA article) .

Very good read. And yep I'm certainly guilty of being blinker at times with NIO, the risks that are meantioned there:

Chip shortage

CCP regulation

Share Diluted

Lithium supply

Competition

On the chip shortage, I think this is quite well priced in already, NIO cut their projections back in the early summer (which lead to the share price dropping back to low 30s), and its steady increases back to 40 as they have largely slightly beat all their revised projections. They are already researching chip development in-house to attempt to mitigate this problem moving forwards, that obviously won't be for another few yrs. China itself wants to try solve its chip shortage by simply taking back over Taiwan lol (to get control of TSM and several other chip companies such as UMC etc), how China will manage that without serious worldwide sanctions I don't know, the CCP are aggressive but not quite that confrontational.

On the CCP themselves, I think they already very much so have NIO under their thumb, Will Li the NIO CEO is certainly no Jack Ma, as in is no way as outspoken or vocal about hisown plans, instead he largely toes the line with the CCP. Also the CCP already bailed out NIO, and have some control of the state owned JAC factories that are producing the NIO cars. So can I see a massive unexpected rug pull similar to what happened BABA this year, no I don't think so.

More share Dilute will most likely happen, the Chinese especially are guilty of it, at the very least they tend to do it during bull phases when investors do not feel it nearly as badly. Its a very easy way of generating capital, so yep you need to absolutely price this into any future expectedly valuations.

Lithium supply is one I really haven't done any homework on, I am invested in some lithium mining to help reduce this risk for me (at least if say NIO is limited by lithium moving forwards I'll hopefully benefit from them stocks ha)

Competition is an interesting one. NIO definitely needs to enter the lower segments of the market (the talk is they might produce a subdivision under a different brand), and how well received they will be in the international market time will tell. Tesla in terms of competition is an interesting one, personally I think Tesla is horribly guilty of refusing to update its models quick enough, the model S is almost a 9yr old car now, yep plenty of upgrades along the way but no new restyling, and nothing really in the pipeline? Japan doesn't seem to be pushing EV development nearly as much as other counties, and obviously a huge number of manufactures are based there. The likes of Ford, VW and other European manufacturers will certainly hit hard across the next few yrs, will NIO of managed to get its foot in the door sufficiently before then in the US and enough European countries by then?

Anyways I'm still very optimistic about NIO, however will it follow the Tesla path and like 10x across the next few yrs, small possiblity but I'll happily absolutely not expect that, instead I'm comfortable with a risk to reward of something closer to 1 to 1 across the next 2yrs, it could double to 80 or drop back to 20. Either way it won't actually change my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

Deutsche Bank increased $NIO shares.

Earnings report on Tuesday 9th after close should lead to a interesting Wednesday.

https://www.benzinga.com/news/21/11/23926578/this-large-german-investment-bank-increased-its-bet-on-nio-by-22-in-q3

• Advertisement

When all is said and done, NIO needs to significantly increase its production-so it can sell more cars. That's really down to them getting their new factory open.

The chip shortage that everyone keeps talking about, doesn't really seem to be causing the level of problems that were first envisaged - and you've got a bunch of massive chip manufacturers all looking to increase output, so the problem will be resolved in time.

EVs are here to stay, given the push for greener power, and NIO is very well positioned in the Chinese Market, so they'll get volume sales, once they can produce the cars.

A friend of mine recently collected his Tesla, having had to wait 6 months (in the States), since he ordered it, so that shows the demand for EVs is there...

NIO's step into Norway got me really excited, as I want to see them expand further across Europe. I just love their Battery as a Service concept, and think its a game changer, if they can get enough cars to market (and enough battery exchange depots, obviously). In my view, NIOs next step should be to look at building a factory in Europe, to support growth in the European market. While they may not have sufficient resources to finance that, surely there are enough European motor companies, to offer them the chance to do it on a joint venture basis - allowing NIO to leverage off existing dealer networks etc, not just building the cars in Europe ?

Thanks,

G.

Hmm I accidentally posted the above tweet, and now in the new mobile site its impossible for me to delete it lol. Anyways.

But yeh Garrett the Nov and Dec delivery figure's will be telling, I'm hoping there will be a very significant ramp up now that the assembly lines fully up and running and the et7 being cranked out, will we see them make up for the losses in Oct, thats the real test this year. NIO day dec 19th, pure media hype (sh1te), but hopefully will push on the share price into the new year. Still holding onto 1500 shares and I've no plans to take profit's unless it goes parabolic to like 80.

Another very positive step for NIO. Their share price might of been alot more impressive at 68dollers back in Jan, but as a company they are in a hell of alot stronger a position today than they were then.

Assuming that's happening soon, it's massive, in terms of them being serious about selling into the European Market.

In not sure how quickly they can replace the "lost" October deliveries, due to retooling, but I'm looking for good numbers for the final two months of the year, in terms of new EVs rolling out the factory door.

Why they don't license their BAAS concept and tech, is beyond me. I think it's a game changer, and allows cars to be sold cheaper on Day 1 (which the global market needs). Baffling really, and if they are too slow with roll out, they'll miss important market share, on a global basis.

Thanks,

G.

What can ya do on days like this, other than buy more. Another 200 added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

The market cap is like 52 billion? Seems extremely overvalued imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Anyone got any thoughts on MongoDB at this level 430$ and Mkt cap 28.47B?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭OEP

All EV companies are going by traditional metrics

Same with Tesla etc. The entire EV market has a massive premium built in, based on future expectations. Forget traditional investor logic, when trying to figure out the current price.

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement
Advertisement