Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

washman3 wrote: »
    what time is Spike in the ring.?

Around 10 est.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Any sign of him yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Ring walk now. If Spike wins maybe his purse could help fix Packie's nose! Steve Collins in his corner too.

Half way through and Spike is still there but behind. However he has had some success and got hit with a low blow in the sixth that had Munguia deducted a point.

As he said himself to win here will require a ko

Munguia in the 11th after the towel was thrown in. Inevitable really as Spike was not defending himself with almost no resistance. The age, height and accuracy differences were just too much particularly in the latter rounds where he gassed alarmingly.

Respect to Spike for taking this shot and hope his purse justified this.

Had it gone the distance it would have been a clear UD.

At 35 just don't know where he goes from here at either weight.

• Advertisement

That is a shock as it was meant to be a homecoming for Williams. I saw him deservedly beat Hurd in a great fight and one which Hurd sees to have had a very hard time getting over.

Interesting division.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ccarr

Jason Quigley fighting later this month and Andy Lee involved with Tyson Fury. Is Andy training the two together

ccarr wrote: »
    Jason Quigley fighting later this month and Andy Lee involved with Tyson Fury. Is Andy training the two together

Quigley on tonight. Golden boy keeping him busy

Handy win for quigley. Not sure he learned much. Those fight nights are on golden boys Facebook page live. Next week Luke keeler fights Andrade and Kevin farmer is on the same card

Very handy win alright. Patient, accurate and painstakingly stalking his man who succumbed to a great Andy Lee like right that literally staggered him across the ring. Fair balls to the Mexican for surviving the second where he was beaten up completely.

Good performance albeit the opposition wasnt up to much but these are confident boosters on the road back.

While its appreciated that the only Irish journo there was Chris McNulty how objective can he be being in the ringwalk with Quigley?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Anyone giving Luke Keeler a prayer in his title shot against Andrade this week?

I think he has very little chance....similar to Hogan v Charlo a while back..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

walshb wrote: »
    Anyone giving Luke Keelera prayer in his title shot against Andrade this week?

I think he has very little chance....similar to Hogan v Charlo a while back..

I'd love to see him do it, he has improved a great deal under Pete Taylor,

i think the international title he has is his level though

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Butson

I know we have the MTK issue but terrible he is getting so little coverage here

Off the Ball had him on but havn't seen anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I'd love to see him do it, he has improved a great deal under Pete Taylor,

i think the international title he has is his level though

He really has, in just over two years he's gone from a solid domestic level fighter (who scraped past Darren Cruise in an Irish title fight) to a genuine fringe World level competitor.

The problem is, he'd probably have to have improved the same amount again, to get to legitimate World level which is where Andrade is at.

I think Hogan is a better fighter than you give him credit for Walshb, but he has no real business at Middleweight. He was small enough at Light-Middle as it was, and trying to rely on his skill set to get him through at the higher weight is too big an ask !

Two shows on up North over the weekend.
    At the Ulster Hall there's a very strong card.
    David Oliver Joyce vs Lee Haskins
    Sean McComb vs Mauro Godoy
    Gary Cully vs Joe Fitzpatrick- Irish Lightweight title
    Lewis Crocker vs Joe Thain
    Also Steven Donnelly and Pierce O'Leary on the undercard.

A good comeback fight for Joyce. Haskins is obviously a former World champion, but will be tiny at the weight. You'd fancy Joyce to have too much for the smaller faded Haskins, but interesting all the same.

McComb in against a decent Argentinian, good progress fight for him and no gimme.

Cully vs Fitzpatrick is an excellent domestic fight, between two long lanky Lightweights. Cully probably the more skilled, but Fitzpatrick will be the puncher in there.

A nice step up for Croc aswell. Thain can't punch to save his life, but has operated in and around British title level. A win for Crocker would put him in line to challenge for British/Commonwealth titles in the very bear future.

The other Belfast card is headlines by Eric Donovan. Unfortunately his opponent Christian Montilla (who would have been his biggest challenge to date) has pulled out so he's in against a Mexican journeyman.
    A really good undercard fight between Francy Luzoho and Stephen Webb also appears to be off.
    Disappointing for Donovan, he's said if he can't get a European title fight this year he'll call it a day and he needs good opponents over the course of the year to get that !

Yeah that devenish card isn't great at the mkment

Will probably stream the MTK one on YouTube

Big Ears wrote: »
    He really has, in just over two years he's gone from a solid domestic level fighter (who scraped past Darren Cruise in an Irish title fight) to a genuine fringe World level competitor.

The problem is, he'd probably have to have improved the same amount again, to get to legitimate World level which is where Andrade is at.

I think Hogan is a better fighter than you give him credit for Walshb, but he has no real business at Middleweight. He was small enough at Light-Middle as it was, and trying to rely on his skill set to get him through at the higher weight is too big an ask !

I never commented on Hogan as a fighter.

I knew he would be beaten easily v Charlo. That’s all. And he was. Had nothing to offer...

Yes, too small as well..

Very very tough for Keeler tonight but what an opportunity for him though. To get a World title shot this early in his career could be a gateway for some decent pay days if he doesnt get humiliated.

I saw Andrade in a fortunate stoppage over Akavov a year ago but my abiding memory is walking by him after the Carroll fight in Philly and nobody recognising him. He has the skillset but that's not the whole picture getting the bigger fights.

In a way Luke has nothing to lose down in Miami. He is more of a middleweight than Hogan so feel that comparison is a wee bit unfair. Would love to be there as this week would be magical with the Superbowl sunday and all that energy infused with all the boxing history there. I hope he breathes all of this in and looks back with no regrets:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/behind-the-lines/2020/jan/28/luke-keeler-boxing-pro-debut-engineer-world-title-fight-miami?CMP=share_btn_tw

Luke in the ring.

In last real fight Tevin Farmer lost his title to Joseph Diaz. The latter fully deserved it, even with a horrendous cut early on, over the latter rounds as Farmer had said he was looking beyond this fight. There will be a rematch.

Andrade by TKO in the 9th in a mismatch really. Literally the first punch had Keeler down in the first and one feared that this would be a humiliation. While not hurt the left that did drop him in the second did hurt but surprisingly Luke dug in and survived round after round until the inevitable.

The punch stats spoke volumes here with Keeler too stiff to avoid shots, But for Andrade this showing will not encourage anybody to back him. He really should have had this wrapped up early to send a message.

Afterward he claimed that Luke is a future Champion! 1am here. Slan!

• Advertisement

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Luke in the ring.

In last real fight Tevin Farmer lost his title to Joseph Diaz. The latter fully deserved it, even with a horrendous cut early on, over the latter rounds as Farmer had said he was looking beyond this fight. There will be a rematch.

Not surprised. Farmer is average as world champions are!

That Ulster Hall card turned out pretty well.

I hadn't realised that Joyce actually moved down in weight. He seemed to make it okay and it's a good move for him, I don't see World titles or anything down the line, but he'll be able to impose his size and strength a lot more on Super-Bantamweights and it should take him a bit further.
    The signs seemed ominous for Haskins when he came out with his knee braces, how very despite that he boxed very well in the first couple of rounds. He wasn't as fleet footed before but his head movement made Joyce miss and he landed some very hard counter, stunning Joyce a couple of times.
    Joyce was able to impose his size and physicality over the next few rounds and the end came in the 5th after Haskins knee buckled. He bravely fought on, but a barrage on the ropes from Joyce prompted the referee to end the inevitable.
    An excellent career for Haskins who announced his retirement.

Crocker was very impressive vs Thain.
    He's a serious puncher, but the idea of putting him in with very durable guys so he actually learns to box and not just blast no hopers out of there seems to be working very well.
    I think as soon as he has a few more 8 and 10 rounders under his belt they'll try and get him in for the British/Commonwealth. He's got the ability to contest at that level anyway.

Cully blitzed Fitzpatrick in a round, in a sensational career best performance.
    Fitzpatrick, likely not used to facing opponents who are as rangy as him, or ad fleet footed, backed up with his chin high, got cracked and dropped hard !
    He got up, did the right thing in holding on to clear his head, but a follow up barrage had the ref jump in.
    Imo he was actually worse after a knockdown than during the barrage as he was actually slipping most of the shots Cully was throwing and seemed to have his wits about him.
    Nevertheless the knockdown was very heavy so I can see why he called it.
    Cully proving he's one to watch though !

In the main event McComb was fantastic, and won easily. He peppered Godoy throughout and hurt him a couple of times with real solid shots.
    Godoy could have been tricky if allowed to find his way into this, but McComb's performance was extremely impressive and bodes well considering he struggled last time out in a step up.

Carl Frampton was interviewed and said his hands seem to be healing up fine, and he'll likely be back out to fight again in May.
    A very good night for MTK, all of their guys got the job done and looked impressive, and their matchmaking was spot on.

On the other Belfast bill, Eric Donovan managed to become the first man to stop Mexican journeyman Joseafat Reyes. It was at least some positive after the dissapointment of Cristian Montilla pulling out again.
    Donovan will have to skip past Montilla now and look for another fight a step above that again if he wants to make his dreams of winning a European title come through.
    Ideally they should get him out soon again if he hasn't got many injuries or issues from the bout.

Michael Conlan supposed to be announcing his next fight today,

supposed to be in the Hullu Theatre in MSG on paddys day, hope it is as im in NYC that week anyways

opponent rumoured to be Hiroshige Osawa

Opponent is a KO victim of Osawa

Belmar Preciado is Conlan’s opponent next month...

Another absolute nobody! His record is against 23 or so opponents with a -40 loss record.

Although Mick has fought a heap of nobodies, at least their win-loss record is positive. +110 total..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭normanoffside

walshb wrote: »
    Opponent is a KO victim of Osawa

Belmar Preciado is Conlan’s opponent next month...

Another absolute nobody! His record is against 23 or so opponents with a -40 loss record.

Although Mick has fought a heap of nobodies, at least their win-loss record is positive. +110 total..

His opponent looks ok on paper 20-2-1 with 12Kos.

Look a bit closer though and he appears to be another feather fisted wonder....He has gone the full 8 rounds twice with a guy whose record is 0-28 (15 KO losses).

With Rigondeaux now a two weight WC after last night’s snoozefest split decision win over Solis for the WBA 118 lbs title, let’s hope by later this year him and Inoue get it on!!

Usyk-Chisora pushed back to May time now due to Usyk elbow injury..

He sure is taking his time at HW!!

James Tennyson is fighting Gavin Gwynne for the vacant British Lightweight title in May.
    Good fight, Gwynne gave Joe Cordina a tough fight about 6 months ago and is a very solid fighter.
    He's extremely tall for the weight, has a good engine, varies his punches well and hits considerably harder than his record suggests.
    His downfall will probably be that he's far too willing to stand there and trade, not a wise thing to do against a murderous puncher like Tennyson.
    Tennyson by Ko after a wobbly start is my predication.

Word is also going around the Spike O'Sullivam may have got himself a World title eliminator at 154lbs on a Canelo undercard in May.
    Can't say I was expecting that after the Munguia loss, but all the best to him and perhaps one more role of the dice in a big fight for him !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Big Ears wrote: »
    James Tennyson is fighting Gavin Gwynne for the vacant British Lightweight title in May.
    Good fight, Gwynne gave Joe Cordina a tough fight about 6 months ago and is a very solid fighter.
    He's extremely tall for the weight, has a good engine, varies his punches well and hits considerably harder than his record suggests.
    His downfall will probably be that he's far too willing to stand there and trade, not a wise thing to do against a murderous puncher like Tennyson.
    Tennyson by Ko after a wobbly start is my predication.

Word is also going around the Spike O'Sullivam may have got himself a World title eliminator at 154lbs on a Canelo undercard in May.
    Can't say I was expecting that after the Munguia loss, but all the best to him and perhaps one more role of the dice in a big fight for him !
    FFS a mustache is a title qualifier now?

• Advertisement

dinorebel wrote: »
    FFS a mustache is a title qualifier now?

It's a pretty good mustache tbf !

Advertisement