Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Matrix Resurrections (with Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss and Lana Wachowski)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Gosh and I thought it was this deep metaphor about Cartesian Dualism all this time. The film's metaphor was deliberately broad and generic of course so that people could read anything they wanted into it. Even if that was something mostly forced on them by the studio, this still reads like retrospective pushback due to the film's cultural legacy being appropriated by the right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’m not convinced by the trans metaphor reading (although then again I’m not the creator of the Matrix), but I am wholly convinced by Lilly’s simple but elegant response to the morons who’ve tried to co-opt the series mythology:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh for sure there are plenty of readings - especially in the sequels - and as you mention it's few enough movies that have both an inclusive trans reading and a gun-nut Timothy McVeigh one. I do buy a little into the idea it was always written as a trans story though. Maybe it wasn't that way consciously, intentionally; but given the Wachowki's both later transitioned, and the character of Switch was meant to be trans, coupled with the narrative interpretation perhaps it was the subconscious speaking through the writing, highlighted afterwards by fans spotting the threads.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 60,353 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Which phone maker is going unveil there newest phone in this.

They will be hard pressed to come up with an original looking phone these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd be amazed if it was Nokia. Whatever about the technological leaps, it's nuts how a brand can have gone from top of the industry to relative obscurity or irrelevancy.

I'm more amazed this still has a November release date without so much as a trailer or teaser. Most I've seen has been some set photos. This is getting a cinema release, right? It's not just straight to HBO Max?

• Advertisement

Christmas week duel cinema & HBO Max release in the States so I'd expect the same here.

Oh december isn't so mad then. Still a little short notice feeling, given the size of the property.

I wouldn't be surprised if the trailer is a tied in marketing release you need to buy something to get to see it.

Something like the latest iPhone has the trailer attached something like that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The use of "duel" in there is a neat touch, given the ongoing arguments about home-release cannibalising theatrical performance 😁

I bought the Matrix on VHS. Then the machine chewed it up, so I bought it on VHS again. It was the first DVD I ever bought. I was in an airport flying somewhere, and they had it on UMD, so I bought it on UMD, and watched it on the flight to where ever I was going on my PSP. Considering thats how many times I've bought it, you can imagine how many times I've watched it. As for, the other two, ive seen them maybe 3 or 4 times each.

I'll go to see this in the cinema, but my expectations are very low.

Also, how will it work with Trinity? Considering she you know, starts voting Democrat

Edit: Looks like spoiler tags dont work on the new site. Sad Panda :(

• Advertisement

Its already out but, Samsung Flip Z? With a 1k price tag, it might be worth including it in the movie to drive buyers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Trailer coming in two days, some early footage here: https://thechoiceisyours.whatisthematrix.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Just noticed that both of those videos give the exact time you are watching the video meaning if watching it at 5:50 pm it shows that time in the video

I spotted that. Thats pretty cool, I have to say.

There’s real ‘this is how we marketed films in the 90s and early 00s’ energy off the website.

This isn’t a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

EDIT: Sorry, the teaser on YouTube is just the website thing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The viral website saying the time in the video is impressive. From a technological standpoint.

It appears to be baked in to the video. So how did they do it? I am trying to wrap my mind around it.

Like it's easy to serve up a customised website at any time using a script. Say you go to it between 1.00pm and 1.59pm you can write something that can turn the background blue say. That's nothing new. Video is rendered tho.

The hard-way is just to get the actor to say so many variations of the time, thus creating so many videos. But thats too much work. 60 minutes for every hour times 24 hours (as he says pm and am) would be 1,440 variations lol. Even if him saying am and pm is a clever edit it would still be 720 variations.

Must be some editing at play to achieve a video with every possible time rather than getting the actors to do each variation. But the cut is good if it is.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Oh, I like that sneak peak, I’m in. Was in when I heard there was gonna be another matrix but that looked really cool. I didn’t realise Yahya Abdul was in movie, I like him, is he the new morphious?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

You're missing how much can be done through clever design and using programming.

I would guess it's the streaming equivalent of seamless branching, i.e. when the video is requested the site runs a calculation to check what local time will be when the voice states the time and generates a playlist for the stream in three parts- the opening, the customised time clip (which might be several audio clips and one video clip), and then the rest. Broadly speaking the same idea as using a binary copy to combine multiple video clips into one, assuming the encoding and container formats support it.

For the time clip, all you need is the actor saying each number for the hour and day, along with "am" and "pm" - with the chosen cadence, splicing those snippets into all the required options is straightforward. We don't see them speaking, so it's that easy - the rest is just re-running rendering jobs with each possible time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

If I was making it...

For the audio, I'd record 1 to 12 and then the tens from 20 to 60. Then AM and PM.

So that's about 19 things to say.

Then [Audio Before Time] [Hour] [First part of minutes 10,20 etc] [Optional last part of minutes] [Audio after Time]

For the video, it's probably way less complex

[Video Before Time] [Time] [Video after Time]

Play video and audio.. probably can be done playing them separately or combined depending on the preference of technology being used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Oh, forgot the teens. So could add in 11 - 19 to the voice lines

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Top comment explains how they did it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

• Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Looks promising albeit the blue and red glasses characters are wearing is a bit on the nose. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That looks pretty fcuking great.

Clearly about the struggles after transitioning.

Not sure what to make of that; the Matrix was such a deeply late-90s vehicle it's super weird looking at something a little more present in modernity. A lot fewer trenchcoats and PVC too.

Also, am I the only one a little distracted by Reeves sporting his John Wick beard + hair? OMG, that universe was another version of the Matrix. Shared universe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

After seeing Reeves beardless in Bill and Ted he's much better off with the beard. That's not insulting him but contrary to all the jokes he is starting to look his age.

That's true, it's just he's looking so like Wick it distracted a tad during the trailer. Just a minor thing mind.

So I wonder what the damn plot in this is that The Matrix is still going, the agents still intervening. Wasn't there supposed to be some kind of harmony established with humanity at the end of number 3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

Stopped the trailer half way through :) Looking forward to it.

Not sure where they are going with it and I'm not sure I want to know. That was the fun of the first one.

Advertisement