Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scholarstown Wood Rathfarnham

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how these houses are priced. Due to launch in autumn apparently, works have started on site.

http://www.regency.ie/projects/scholarstown-wood/
    http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/scholarstown-road-rathfarnham-dublin-16/3598804

Looks like there constructed as timber frame houses as well based on what i can see from the site so far.
    What are peoples thoughts on modern timber frame houses. I'm a little conflicted myself, in theory they are perfectly fine but i would have slight reservations, mainly due to risk of poor acoustics.

We have been looking in the general area, it looks like it could be very like hunters wood or dalreida which we don't like as it all seems very on top of itself from what I can tell. Have registered interest though in the hope it's more like other developments that we like.

Price will be interesting to see

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

We have been looking in the general area, it looks like it could be very like hunters wood or dalreida which we don't like as it all seems very on top of itself from what I can tell.

That's pretty much the way all developments in Dublin are going, from what I can see. Tiny gardens so they can maximise the number of units without compromising too much on house size.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    That's pretty much the way all developments in Dublin are going, from what I can see. Tiny gardens so they can maximise the number of units without compromising too much on house size.

There are one or two that are not as bad. It's not just the gardens it's the proximity to neighbours, the public spaces, the roads etc. The few that we have liked though seem to sell extremely fast though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

It will be interesting to see how these houses are priced. Due to launch in autumn apparently, works have started on site.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/scholarstown-road-rathfarnham-dublin-16/3598804

Looks like there constructed as timber frame houses as well based on what i can see from the site so far.
    What are peoples thoughts on modern timber frame houses. I'm a little conflicted myself, in theory they are perfectly fine but i would have slight reservations, mainly due to risk of poor acoustics.

the insulation regulations now and whats required to get an "A" BER rating will likely mean the sound insulation is alright (Im not going to say good as I have yet to be in an Irish property with good sound insulation)

id imagine it'll come in at 400k-450k for the 3 bed then add 100k for each extra bedroom.

Id also say its the new Irish version of detached, a side gate on one side and no more than 90cm between the houses on the other side.

the insulation regulations now and whats required to get an "A" BER rating will likely mean the sound insulation is alright (Im not going to say good as I have yet to be in an Irish property with good sound insulation)

id imagine it'll come in at 400k-450k for the 3 bed then add 100k for each extra bedroom.

Id also say its the new Irish version of detached, a side gate on one side and no more than 90cm between the houses on the other side.

Was hoping under 350 but doubt it will come in at that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

maybe for the apartments. SCD, transport, very limited building space, high land value , considering theres 5 beds there id imagine the finish will be high end enough. Doubt theres any chance of a detached being under 400, even a semi-d would be almost hitting that number.

maybe for the apartments. SCD, transport, very limited building space, high land value , considering theres 5 beds there id imagine the finish will be high end enough. Doubt theres any chance of a detached being under 400, even a semi-d would be almost hitting that number.

Sorry meant to clarify its the 3 bed semi I'm talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭REFLINE1

BER insulation ratings aren't necessarily related to acoustics in a building. Acoustics rely very much on good detailing in design and excellent workmanship. On one hand prefab timber frame elements take away a certain amount of site error out of the equation but on the other concrete/blocks are much denser materials and absorb sound better. Im not saying timber frame is necessarily poorer in this respect but its a concern for me.

Regarding the development im on the fence a little, good geographic location but actually not much in terms of services or transport nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Can't see them being anywhere near that when the 3 bed semis in Dodderbrook went for c.345k in the first phase and this is a "better" postcode.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Can't see them being anywhere near that when the 3 bed semis in Dodderbrook went for c.345k in the first phase and this is a "better" postcode.

332,500 in Dodderbrook not 345

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm very interested in this development as well. Should have enough saved for 400-450k mortgage by end of this year. Would like a 4 bed but realistically I'd say we'll only be able to afford a 3 bed. I emailed Sherry Fitz today to see if they can give some indications on price, not expecting them to reply any time soon. I'm hoping with all these new houses it may reduce the price of other 2nd hand house on sale in the vicinity, maybe a naive outlook?

I presume these houses are built in such a way that there is no room for extending them in the future? Seems most new houses these days are 3 stories with tiny gardens to ensure small footprint and fit more into a smaller area.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I presume these houses are built in such a way that there is no room for extending them in the future? Seems most new houses these days are 3 stories with tiny gardens to ensure small footprint and fit more into a smaller area.
    The building specs will be in the planning application on the sdcc website. Havent looked at it myself, but typically properties in Dublin now are built over 3 floors to maximise floor space, with a relatively small rear garden, no front garden and one or two parking spaces at the front. There is usually some attic space, but enough space to crawl in or just stick your head in, at best.

Expect all the 3-beds to be semi-D or terraced, 4 beds to be a mix of semi-D and detached and 5 beds to be detached.

Modern build standards are good - you'll get a house that's cosy, very homely, energy efficient, wired up to the nines with modern hardware and much larger than a 3/4/5 bed from another era. You just lose out on more traditional things like six-foot high attics and front and rear gardens.

Depending on the location of the property you can sometimes get some scope to extend into your side passage or extend out the back. Either way, the scope to extend is limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭powerstar

I rang them on Friday for guide prices but they did not give any details and said prices will be released in August and launch will be in September.

Actually, looking at the plans, I stand corrected. There are 2-beds in the mix as well. 2/3/4-beds include some with 2 storeys and some with 3 storeys.

All of the 3-storey houses they try to pass off as 2-storey + dormer, but they're 3-storey houses.

All look like pretty generous sizes, even the 2-storey 3-beds claim 120sq.m.

seamus wrote: »
    Actually, looking at the plans, I stand corrected. There are 2-beds in the mix as well. 2/3/4-beds include some with 2 storeys and some with 3 storeys.

All of the 3-storey houses they try to pass off as 2-storey + dormer, but they're 3-storey houses.

All look like pretty generous sizes, even the 2-storey 3-beds claim 120sq.m.

Have you got a link to the specs to save me searching? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lillylally

Heard that 20% social housing... Not sure what implications are but not sure it's encouraging me to buy here

Was at the open evening Sherry Fitz put on this evening in their office. The first 30 houses will be ready in September, a mix of 3,4 and 5 beds. They had detailed plans of each of the houses, they look very good and will be high spec. I tried getting the possible prices out of them but they were quite tight lipped. I did manage get them to admit that the 3 bed houses would be over 400k. If I was gonna guess I'd say the 3 beds will be about 450-475k and 500+ for the 4 beds

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mari123

We were also at Opening evening for these houses this evening. We were told between 405 k and 420 k for 3 bed. They did also say don't let price turn you off as they couldn't confirm till September.

Mari123 wrote: »
    We were also at Opening evening for these houses this evening. We were told between 405 k and 420 k for 3 bed. They did also say don't let price turn you off as they couldn't confirm till September.

Where did you hear about the open evening I registered interest and heard nothing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Mari123

We also registered interest and received an email about an information evening with sherry Fitz. There is another information evening on this evening between 5-7 pm. You can pop in anytime before 7 pm. I'm not sure exact location for this evening as it's different to yesterday, I think it's Dundrum, you may need to ring them to confirm location and inform them that you plan to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭powerstar

This is the address for today's open evening

Sherry FitzGerald Dundrum

Date: Wed 15 June, 2016 from 5:00 PMto 7:00 PM

But you need to register with them, Just call Dundrum Office.

Thanks for the info. I'm seriously annoyed at them for not contacting me. We have mortgage approval and everything, just hoping now that this isnt happening with other developments we have registered interest in.

They also didn't have any info when any subsequent waves of houses would be ready. They did say they expected the development to be fully completed in about 5 years. Seems like quite a long time to be living there and building going on around you.

Thanks for the info. I'm seriously annoyed at them for not contacting me. We have mortgage approval and everything, just hoping now that this isnt happening with other developments we have registered interest in.

Yeah they seem to be a bit hit or miss, I got an email from them about the open evening but my wife didn't even though we both registered interest?

check your spam folder, thats where mine went!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Squeak1983

Hi all, does anyone have any pricing info on the 2 bedroom houses? I think these will be available in the second phase. We were told the 3 bed terraced houses will be 405k in phase 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 notkenny

Squeak1983 wrote: »
    Hi all, does anyone have any pricing info on the 2 bedroom houses? I think these will be available in the second phase. We were told the 3 bed terraced houses will be 405k in phase 1.
    Hi, Where did you get the pricing info for 3 bed houses ( 405).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Squeak1983

Hi Sherry Fitzgerald gave us this rough guide price for 3 bed terraced in phase1. They said the final prices will be announced at the launch of the first phase in Sept

• Advertisement

more expensive than i thought if thats the starting price for terraced.
    they seem to be making good progress on site, not sure im mad about the layouts ive seen so far from the road.The timber frame build a concern also for me.

Advertisement