Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scholarstown Wood Rathfarnham

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 notkenny

Yeah, they are expensive if 405 for terraced houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

notkenny wrote: »

Trying to trade on the Rathfarnham name but obviously nowhere near Rathfarnham.

Even the google maps page on myhome shows it as Knocklyn.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭REFLINE1

Personally think they will struggle with that price range. maybe im underestimating the demand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

It's opposite Boden Park, so if anywhere it's Ballyboden. You wouldn't want to get off the bus at Rathfarnham if lived there though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's definitely part of Rathfarnham. It's on the border, but undoubtedly in there. That area along the Scholarstown road has never been part of Knocklyon; like most areas along the eastern edge, they never tried to assimilate themselves into the ever-growing Knocklyon area.

seamus wrote: »
    It's definitely part of Rathfarnham

Only on a technicality - it's nowhere near central rathfarnham hence why it's d16 and much cheaper than actual rathfarnham prices.

all you have to do is look at a map to realise where it really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

notkenny wrote: »

From what I remember phase 1 is only about 30 houses and that is split up between 4/5 different models from 3 bed terraced up to 5 bed detached so with that mix they'll probably sell them all easy enough I'd say.

Yes that's it.
    It's definitely part of Rathfarnham. It's on the border, but undoubtedly in there. That area along the Scholarstown road has never been part of Knocklyon; like most areas along the eastern edge, they never tried to assimilate themselves into the ever-growing Knocklyon area.

Actual physical locations of a lot of these new estates are becoming irrelevant as developers appear to just pick whatever address nearby is most sought after at the time of sale. It usually sticks and it seems even in some cases traditional parish boundaries change to accommodate it (i.e. Woodstown in Knocklyon but really it's Ballycullen)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Only on a technicality - it's nowhere near central rathfarnham hence why it's d16 and much cheaper than actual rathfarnham prices.

all you have to do is look at a map to realise where it really is.
    A technicality that's a few hundred years old though. If you look at the old townland maps, that piece of land was always part of Rathfarnham. Drift occurs all the time; some places that we consider quintessentially Rathfarnham - Marlay Park, St. Enda's - have only been renamed into Rathfarnham relatively recently.

All of the land bordering Stocking Lane is generally considered Rathfarnham, but it never was, it was originally Whitechurch.

While I agree that using Rathfarnham is a way to give more "prestige" than just "Scholarstown Wood, Dublin 16", of all places that have claimed it in the past, this area has a perfectly legitimate claim to it.

A technicality that's a few hundred years old though. If you look at the old townland maps, that piece of land was always part of Rathfarnham. Drift occurs all the time; some places that we consider quintessentially Rathfarnham - Marlay Park, St. Enda's - have only been renamed into Rathfarnham relatively recently.

All of the land bordering Stocking Lane is generally considered Rathfarnham, but it never was, it was originally Whitechurch.

While I agree that using Rathfarnham is a way to give more "prestige" than just "Scholarstown Wood, Dublin 16", of all places that have claimed it in the past, this area has a perfectly legitimate claim to it.

Inhabitants of Scholarstown Wood can setup a support group with those in Grange Hill :cool:

• Advertisement

Showhouse viewing in next week or so according to the EA yesterday, 3 beds starting @ 450,000 :/

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    Showhouse viewing in next week or so according to the EA yesterday, 3 beds starting @ 450,000 :/

Yeah heard that, 455k for 3 bed terrace and 570k for 4 bed semi-d. No price for the 3 bed semi-d but probably close to 500k. Very high prices considering 455k would easily get you a 4 bed semi-d in old Knocklyon. Having said that they are supposedly well built and well kitted out inside so they'll still probably sell no problem.

570k for 4 bed semi-d.

I think that's a scandalous price considering last year college square new builds 2 storey 4 bed semi Ds (1,650 sq ft) were going for €650k and built to a very high standard. Yes they were the edge of Terenure so closer to kimmage/templeogue but considering how much closer they are to the city...

Mad money, no way there worth that imo given some of the other options nearby. There effectively same price as Hazelbrook square churchtown, which is a far superior location IMO.

Timber frame build as well which is another negative for me- IM OUT!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nomes311

Crazy prices...for the area, sq foot and look of the houses. It's a disgrace...I hope people see sense and refuse to pay these prices. A bit of sense needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 whiteorchid

Have been looking in area for a while. Think houses in estates like prospect manor would be a far better buy. All have decent gardens well established mature estate. Have great size rooms downstairs and they feel a lot more private. But haven't seen any on market for a while . 4 beds here usually less than 500 k

I'd love to know the reasoning of someone who will buy one of the 3 bed terraced houses for 455k!? They'll probably all be buy to lets

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Pose Nicker

'Personally think they will struggle with that price range. maybe im underestimating the demand'

I would love to know what planet this poster and others are on!

Scholarstown Wood, especially the 2/3/4 beds will sell out off the plans, pitching a price of 460-480K for a three-bed semi (depending on garden size/location) enusures that for some this will represent a bargain, an address inside the M50 for less than 500K, close to Rathfarnham D14, decent schools, short hop to the city centre (there's a bus stop at the estate entrance) etc. etc. etc. Issues such as timber frame and density are irrelevant when you have one of the biggest housing shortages in history, and a developer builds an estate on one of most expensive parts of the most expensive towns in the country.

The children of residents from Templeogue, Knocklyon, Rathfarnham, Churchtown, Milltown, Donnybrook, Harold's Cross, Leopardstown, Stillorgan, Dundrum, Rathgar, Rathmines and all accross the southside of the city will pounce on these properties. Only a few in Phase 3 (if there is one) with bad locations and/or small gardens will go to 'buy to let'.

I live beside the development, and there is an unending stream of rubber neckers watching the houses go up. Downsizers and upsizers (from aparts) just in Knocklyon alone will account for a huge number of sales, if they had granted the original pre-crash Planning Permission for 640 dwellings, it would still sell out rapidly.

Do I want another development on my doorstep, probably not, but good luck to the developers (Regency), and to the new owners who have had almost no choices over the last 8 years.

Come on people, get real!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nomes311

'Personally think they will struggle with that price range. maybe im underestimating the demand'

I would love to know what planet this poster and others are on!

Scholarstown Wood, especially the 2/3/4 beds will sell out off the plans, pitching a price of 460-480K for a three-bed semi (depending on garden size/location) enusures that for some this will represent a bargain, an address inside the M50 for less than 500K, close to Rathfarnham D14, decent schools, short hop to the city centre (there's a bus stop at the estate entrance) etc. etc. etc. Issues such as timber frame and density are irrelevant when you have one of the biggest housing shortages in history, and a developer builds an estate on one of most expensive parts of the most expensive towns in the country.

The children of residents from Templeogue, Knocklyon, Rathfarnham, Churchtown, Milltown, Donnybrook, Harold's Cross, Leopardstown, Stillorgan, Dundrum, Rathgar, Rathmines and all accross the southside of the city will pounce on these properties. Only a few in Phase 3 (if there is one) with bad locations and/or small gardens will go to 'buy to let'.

I live beside the development, and there is an unending stream of rubber neckers watching the houses go up. Downsizers and upsizers (from aparts) just in Knocklyon alone will account for a huge number of sales, if they had granted the original pre-crash Planning Permission for 640 dwellings, it would still sell out rapidly.

Do I want another development on my doorstep, probably not, but good luck to the developers (Regency), and to the new owners who have had almost no choices over the last 8 years.

Come on people, get real!

You must work for the builders or Sherry Fitz 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Jeez really expensive, personally i would buy a used house instead and renovate

• Advertisement

I'm a musician actually.

However Nomes 311, I'm sure you'll have a smart-arsed answer to that, instead of an infomed opinion that might actually contribute something!

Asteroids over Berlin, I think you're right.

There's better value in the area in buying S/H and renovating, it would still come in less than Scholarstown Wood, But there are just so few coming on the market, other than executor sales, and total re-furbs.

I can see families offering huge support to children to get the deposits together for these, pretty much everything else is on the other side of the M50 (i.e, less desireable), if you look at what is being asked for Hersil Wood on Knocklyon Road, Scholarstown Wood actually makes sense.

Asteroids over Berlin, I think you're right.

There's better value in the area in buying S/H and renovating, it would still come in less than Scholarstown Wood, But there are just so few coming on the market, other than executor sales, and total re-furbs.

I can see families offering huge support to children to get the deposits together for these, pretty much everything else is on the other side of the M50 (i.e, less desireable), if you look at what is being asked for Hersil Wood on Knocklyon Road, Scholarstown Wood actually makes sense.

Hersil Wood is prime example of pricing high but taking less. They are excellent builds(better than Scholarstown Wood) in a better location and a lot higher sq ft. First phase went up for sale for 595k for the cheapest house. If you look at the property price register for 2015 and 2016 you'll see not one of them sold for over 595, about 559 is the highest one of them went for. Second phase they are looking for between 625k and 695k for them but they'll probably all go for a lot less than that

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭macguru

Hersil Wood is prime example of pricing high but taking less. They are excellent builds(better than Scholarstown Wood) in a better location and a lot higher sq ft. First phase went up for sale for 595k for the cheapest house. If you look at the property price register for 2015 and 2016 you'll see not one of them sold for over 595, about 559 is the highest one of them went for. Second phase they are looking for between 625k and 695k for them but they'll probably all go for a lot less than that

@youcancallmeal

As far as I'm aware new builds are listed on the property price register ex vat (13.5%), this might explain the price difference.

Edit: Just checked the PPR website, New builds prices are indeed listed EX VAT.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

The website has been updated with pictures and other details:

http://scholarstownwood.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Blud

Anyone make it to the open house yesterday? Any reports on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 notkenny

I was there and there were loads of people. I never seen that many people in any other new houses before.

3 bed Mid terrace, 3 bed end of terrace, 4 bed semi detached and 5 bed Detached house types were sold out. Only 3 & 4 bed semi detached are left.

I was at the open viewing also.

As per my previous post, the demand is staggering, most of Phase 1 is gone after just two weekends (see notkenny above).

The 4 bed is the pick of the bunch IMO at 1,500 sq feet (approx), fairly nicely proportioned rooms and four decent sized bedrooms, good bathrooms and a small utility room, for 570K.

The three bed semis are ok at around 1,200 for 470K, great for anyone getting out of an apartment or a starter home, but as ever they've used every trick in the book to make them look bigger, huge mirrors, same coloured walls throughout, clever window location etc. etc. Even the five beds at around 2,000 plus, represent value and both the ones in Phase 1 were gone, even though they have very poor gardens. Some strange layout decisions, especially the weird 3rd floor.

One aspect I was suprised with was that there were some sites with reasonable back gardens (some small as well of course), the decisison to go with just 320 units as distinct from the 600 plus of the original pre-crash plans have given a bit more space here and there.

Anyone wanting to get in here would need to be on the doorstep on viewing day for Phase 2 with the 7K booking deposit in their hand (and the rest in cash or with letters of approval from their lending agent)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Dropped in again, i agree the 4 bed is a fine house, nice size back garden too, pricey though.
    The 3 bed sycamore is ok but appear to be north facing gardens, no way for me - too pricey for what you get too. However the other 3 beds the maples are a disaster you would want to be off your rocker to be interested. No opinion on the 5 bed as the price is just beyond mental. I have no interest in buying, bit of a property hound, like to keep my eye on the market etc, feel they are overpriced by a generous margin but i guess thats what people pay these days

• Advertisement

I don't think the orientation (North, South) will matter, the better located ones will just be the ones reserved first, I'm in a Northish facing house, it never even occured to me to worry about this as the house was what I wanted.

Also, I wouldn't describe any of the prices as 'mental', I think Regency are being super clever here in releasing a comparatively small number in P1, at reasonable prices which will further put pressure for demand in P2, P3 etc., all of which will probably go up as each phase is announced, then you might see some 'mental' prices as they try to maximise profit in the final stages.

Well done to those lucky few who got in early!

Advertisement