Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭scwazrh

The “Tommy in a Transit “ are a different group .They are the post recession boys .They’ve done the business course but focused only on the charging and getting paid .These boys are flat out all week which is why they don’t answer the phone unlike the hiace boys who just want to avoid ya or they’re busy chairing the Monday Club meetings .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Could well be worth a visit to the UK for anyone planning some purchased of anything that isn't SS Rolex unobtainium.

A seriously weakened £stg and 20% back 🤔

If they tack on the implementation to the existing tax-back shopping scheme, it could be a quick roll out. The volatility around sterling will last a little while yet and that budget today isn't going to help. I've already seen strong speculation of another emergency BoE rate rise as early as next week and just had a Deutsche Bank research note that UK could hit 5.5% rate as early as March.

I wonder would you get caught for import and vat on returning to this side ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭893bet

Post the box separately. Post the card separately again. Wear the watch and take your chances.

• Advertisement

That's what I'd do. Actually I'd probably post those to N.I and collect them when passing.

Fly home to Belfast would work also

If it’s like the Irish tax back for tourists , you file a form in the airport and the refund is then credited back to you within a short period of time.So that would have you register your details on UK side so that you could receive the refund.Wouldn’t be a big job for those details to be shared with Irish revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Unknownability

That would be a massive job to share those details. Besides there would be zero incentive for the UK to co-operate.

That will most likely kill the personal high end good market in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,926 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You get the UK VAT back only if the shop ships directly to your country. You can't take the product with you out of the shop. In our case, we will have to pay 23% Irish VAT when it lands here.

Oh wait, that's the plan in the link to change that. What I posted above is the current situation. Still - you are supposed to declare the goods when importing them here and pay the Irish VAT. Not that many people would do that mind, if there is very little chance of getting caught 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

To Be honest it makes sense, the luxury shopper from the Middle East doesn’t have an incentive to go to London over Paris at the moment with tax free available in France/other parts of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

I’m looking at buying from Chrono24 for the first time - stupid question - if I buy from a seller in an EU state is the VAT already applied? Or will I get hit with another charge by the revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Morning is there any way of knowing if an item is in stock ib the Dublin warehouse of amazon? To avoid duty/customs coming from UK. Thanks

You’ll know when you order if there will be any customs I think Amazon have it all sorted.

The volatility around sterling will last a little while yet and that budget today isn't going to help. I've already seen strong speculation of another emergency BoE rate rise as early as next week and just had a Deutsche Bank research note that UK could hit 5.5% rate as early as March.

Well last night was certainly interesting with regard to sterling 😮 I do think there will be a drop back down to 1.03 and below level but that it won't breach parity Vs $ unless there is political upheaval or general striking in the UK.

The interest rates and what the BOE do will be telling. I do think rates are going to rise and I'm in the Deutsche Bank camp. I think they will breach 6% by end of March.

The speed of economic change and risk in UK is going to catch a lot by surprise and will hit hard IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Maybe, maybe not.

Just saw reports that banks and lenders are withdrawing fixed rate mortgage offers with immediate effect.

Sounds like the first ripples of a contagion that could precipitate a collapse.

The Chinese Central bank has started buying securities and providing liquidity via reverse repo ops. US has done the same for years but in a sign of how important that liquidity is? The US has upped it's daily reverse repo from a $500bln average 2yrs ago, to now over 2trln for the last 6 months.

In the stocks forum here last August I started flagging the collapse of Evergrande as a moment of extreme systemic risk. The amount of dollar backed development in China that had to be underwritten by the Yuan is IMO a massive risk and the containment efforts for the ripple it is causing is now spreading and will be hard to arrest.

The impact of the Chinese investment woes and, UK £stg collapse are hitting someone's collateral hard and there will be a lot of pain to come IMO.

The problem with QE is that some point? The liquidity gets turned off and actual value has to be found.

It is a very interesting time to be in the markets. The collision of fiscal & monetary policy at odds with each is playing out in the UK and it will cause severe pain. They can't print their way out of this one.

It has undermined Euro, £ and yuan as potential reserve currencies too. The Euro at least has the market and the dominant position to ride this out.

There are so many other knock on effects to a weak £ though, combined with their restricted market access that will cause huge problems.

A quick example of how this will impact the UK. They are doubling defence spending to £100bln. A huge portion of that budget goes to US, in last 6months the £ is down over 20% versus dollar. The UK will either spend more again to get original plan? Or it will spend the new budget to get less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

You also have to factor in the amount of governments that have debt denominated in USD, as the dollar grows stronger the amount they owe relatively in their local currency grows and the stronger dollar can become a self fulfilling prophecy as governments have to accept the growth in value of debt or print local currency and risk further inflation.

Pleased to have got a call from an AD this morning to say they have a Rolex for me. Not a Sub or Date Just, but definitely a model I was considering going grey for. Absolutely chuffed :)

Post edited by UhOh on

• Advertisement

+1

Which Rolex is it?

Nice one and an ideal starter Rolex. Lovely watches. How did you go about getting this one, did you tell (Weir's presumably) that you were in the market for anything steel?

I was in there to collect a watch in June & asked if I could put my name down against a few models I was interested in. Think I had 3 or 4 models (all steel), the guy took details & that was it.

Well done & well wear! Make sure to post a few pics when you get it. Good start of the relation with the AD too and costing you nothing (as in having to spend money on stuff you don't need or want)

Well done and may you wear it in good health 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Nice one, a nice watch the OP41.

• Advertisement

If I recall you have no history with them?

getting stainless sports like that shows there is definitely more availability that previous.

Advertisement