Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Basil3 wrote: »
    Definitely a good deal if it is still being offered. I swore I'd never go back on contract, but it is tempting.

Harvey Norman are doing the same offer on a straight purchase if you pre order before the 23rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

biebiebie wrote: »
    Used one briefly earlier yesterday.
    Impressively light and svelte was my impression.
    Used to have a Note. But to be honest looking back for me the pen was a novelty. I don't miss it at all now... even though I thought I would.

I'm very interested in the Note 9 and it's not because of the pen. The 8gb of ram interests me. I have a S9+ with 6gb and if that phone is anything to go by 8gb should make it a very brisk phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

the difference in price will be huge between three's 799 6/128gb and the 8/512gb model from amazon etc. at around 1230 euro.

435 euro extra for 2 gb of ram and the 512gb space, no way it's worth it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Think I’m going to pre order with Three. I know sometimes early models are unlocked anyway so fingers crossed but I’ll probably swiarch to 3 prepay anyway.

• Advertisement

Urgh. That would be around €600 if I purchase ex VAT through work. Not sure I have the power to resist.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Harvey Norman are selling it for €1019. Three have it on prepay for €799. Buy it on three and get it unlocked for 20 quid. That's what I'm doing. And if it has three bloatware on it you can easily flash a stock rom without voiding your warranty. Win win.

799 aint bad at all! The only thing is i hear a lot of people aren't successfully flashing different CSC's on the S9's. The Note 9 has the same running gear so whether it could be a problem i don't know.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Urgh. That would be around €600 if I purchase ex VAT through work. Not sure I have the power to resist.

No brain involved decision at that price.

How would you purchase exvat from three though, or do you mean work would just claim the vat back?

I've been resisting as much as possible but that €600 prospect is very tempting. Never did locked though and there's not a hope in hell I'm using the 3 network. Is there much of a rigmarole to unlocking them? I wouldn't be doing the CSC thing if I didn't have to.

_

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be doing the CSC thing if I didn't have to.

_

It might be important to have the correct CSC for wifi calling, VOLTE etc.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    It might be important to have the correct CSC for wifi calling, VOLTE etc.

I've never had that on a phone so I probably wouldn't miss it (work pay the phone bill anyway). I couldn't bring myself to start flashing a phone worth that dough anyway, €600 is pricey for a brick!

Black or blue anyway?

Black or blue anyway?

It'd have to be blue for me because of the different coloured pen.

Patww79 wrote: »
    It'd have to be blue for me because of the different coloured pen.

Yeah I'm liking blue too. I have had black iPhones and now this black S7 Edge so the blue would be nice. The contract pen looks good too..

I am very close to ordering one.. I was totally on the note 7 train until they exploded

Yeah I'm liking blue too. I have had black iPhones and now this black S7 Edge so the blue would be nice. The contract pen looks good too..

I am very close to ordering one.. I was totally on the note 7 train until they exploded

Pity they didn't go contrasting with them all instead of just the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shannonzk

It is a decent device but can't afford the price, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I don't really get the point of the Note. The S series Plus comes out a few months later with basically the same screen and improved hardware anyway, and usually an updated design, and it's generally cheaper too!

For the guys leaning towards the blue model, any reason why? I haven't been able to find decent video of it online but with the yellow S Pen it looks a bit like a toy to me? Could just be the publicity images samsung released but the black model looks far sleeker to me.

Cina wrote: »
    I don't really get the point of the Note. The S series Plus comes out a few months later with basically the same screen and improved hardware anyway, and usually an updated design, and it's generally cheaper too!

If I wasn't going for the Note, I wouldn't go for Sammy at all. I don't use the S-Pen loads, but I love having the option.
    For the guys leaning towards the blue model, any reason why? I haven't been able to find decent video of it online but with the yellow S Pen it looks a bit like a toy to me? Could just be the publicity images samsung released but the black model looks far sleeker to me.

Personally, I'd be going for it just to have something different. I'd be coming from a black Note 8, so would want change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

For me, the S-pen is a gimmick. I even went as far as buying the regular sized Samsung S-pen for use with my Note 5, that lasted all of 2 days.

I love the big screen and the large battery, but is performance really an issue with modern phones? My S8 will do me fine.

Note 5 with full-size S-pen for sale, btw. :)

Yep I've had all black phones always, I'm still in two minds between the black note and blue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    For me, the S-pen is a gimmick. I even went as far as buying the regular sized Samsung S-pen for use with my Note 5, that lasted all of 2 days.

I love the big screen and the large battery, but is performance really an issue with modern phones? My S8 will do me fine.

Note 5 with full-size S-pen for sale, btw. :)

I thought the pen would be a gimmick alright but I find myself using it a lot more than I thought I would, good few times a week anyway. Screenshotting is a common one and scribbling notes to myself, occasionally when browsing too...

I use it enough on the 8 that I'll miss it if I ever move to a non-stylus phone.

Yep I've had all black phones always, I'm still in two minds between the black note and blue though.

I’m coming from jet black iPhone plus and really love the look. I don’t think a blue phone with a yellow pen looks right in a professional setting. I’ll wait until I see video of the blue before deciding but think it’s black model all the way for me. I’d hate a contrasting colour s pen on the black model too.

The €800 price from three makes the price fine for me, I can get phones through work at cost price more or less and it’s not much cheaper than that. Three must have got some huge discounts or incentives for that price.

I wouldn’t be too keen to pay 1k for any phone but if apple are charging that much for the iPhone X I don’t see why Samsung can’t do the same for the note. It’s a premium high end phone, the fact that one plus is cheaper is irrelevant to me because it’s not competing with iPhones or Samsung. I’m still undecided if I’m going to pre order but I think I will. I’m bored with iOS and don’t expect the new iPhones to be particularly innovative.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭duckofdeath

It seems like Three just managed to negotiate a (for many) better deal, get the phone cheaper from Samsung and not offer the bundles like the rest. I wouldn't have minded getting a Galaxy Watch or those high-end AKG headphones others gets around the world, but €150 off is not a bad deal either! :)

Is it difficult at all to unlock a three prepay phone? I am with three at the moment but would like to swap to that good vodafone offer, since I more often than not while travelling can't even use my data on three due to dropping down to edge

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭duckofdeath

I think Three will give you a free unlock code after a year on a pre-pay phone. Before then you'd have to take it to one of those phone shops that root and re-flash them. That's not free though and probably also a breach of your contract with Three. :)

• Advertisement

any idea how much if you have to pay

Advertisement