Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now ye're talking - to a country barman

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,333 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Around here years ago the oul fellas used to drink a Black and Tan, Half Smithwicks and half Guinness I think it was.

Would anyone ever ask for that where you work?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Do Cheese Flavoured Moments actually exist? Always see Scampi Fries and Bacon Fries, but I fear that like Leitrim, their cheese cousins are a myth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Its common after a big game, eg Kerry winning, Ireland winning in the rugby etc. It goes in to a tip Jar thats opened every January.

The majority of customers would give me between €20 to €50 every Christmas. Country people tip well at Christmas, The postman makes a fortune as well at Christmas in rural locations.

Is that your health insurance policy?

• Company Representative Posts: 128 Verified rep I'm a country barman, AMA

Around here years ago the oul fellas used to drink a Black and Tan, Half Smithwicks and half Guinness I think it was.

Would anyone ever ask for that where you work?
    No not anymore. Its being about 20 years since I saw that being served.

Do Cheese Flavoured Moments actually exist? Always see Scampi Fries and Bacon Fries, but I fear that like Leitrim, their cheese cousins are a myth.

Haha I never saw them. We sell bacon fries and scampi fries. I think it may be like Leitrim .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Yes they do lol. They would stand behind them and politely say" your are sitting in my seat". It works 99 times out of a hundred. The other 1 out of a 100 they usually pick a different seat and mumble to themselves.

Like in the Cheers scene with Norm/an & Cliff >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdyf9ZRjda8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

With the exception of this summer. Cider has being a terrible seller in the last few years. We stock Bulmers , Cronins, Koppaberg and Rekorderlig. Bulmers is the biggest seller with Cronins a close second. (Local cider) the other 2 coders are strawberry and lime and only the ladies drink them.

Had to look up this Cronins; I loves my cider I do but had never heard to that one.

With that in mind (mine's a Falling Apple) is it difficult to get into country pubs when you're a new kid on the block?

With established brands on tap already do they insist on booking taps to preclude newer brands?

Is it similar with bottles or would it be easier to be on a shelf for craft ciders/beer?

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Had to look up this Cronins; I loves my cider I do but had never heard to that one.

With that in mind (mine's a Falling Apple) is it difficult to get into country pubs when you're a new kid on the block?

With established brands on tap already do they insist on booking taps to preclude newer brands?

Is it similar with bottles or would it be easier to be on a shelf for craft ciders/beer?

Cronins cider is a local cider, That it shy it is so popular.

Its easy to get in to a local pub being the new kid on the block. The locals are very welcoming with you dont act the maggot.

Each supplier will offer different incentives to remove another tap. Carling were asking us for ages to get rid of the fosters, if we did they would have lots of competitions, a few free barrels, regular supply of glasses and polo shirts. They kept their word.

Its much easier with bottles as they dont come directly from Diaego, Carling etc.

Alpha_zero wrote: »

Brilliant, The best comment I have read on the internet. If only everyone was as great as you, Take a bow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Carling is awful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Try_harder wrote: »
    Carling is awful

It was actually quite a decent mass produced lager when it was brewed at South Main Street. Utter piss now.

As bad as carling is it's much better than fosters.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Thread ban - do not post in this thread again, Alpha_zero.

Have you ever considered selling soft drinks on draught like in the UK? The price of soft drinks is extortionate in public houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,498 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Each supplier will offer different incentives to remove another tap. Carling were asking us for ages to get rid of the fosters, if we did they would have lots of competitions, a few free barrels, regular supply of glasses and polo shirts. They kept their word.

Does everyone involved know that this kind action is almost certainly illegal under anti-competitive legislation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Does everyone involved know that this kind action is almost certainly illegal under anti-competitive legislation?

Pubs also act in concert to keep prices at a certain level. This is anti competitive aswell but none seems to care.

Its common after a big game, eg Kerry winning, Ireland winning in the rugby etc. It goes in to a tip Jar thats opened every January.

The majority of customers would give me between €20 to €50 every Christmas. Country people tip well at Christmas, The postman makes a fortune as well at Christmas in rural locations.

Tipping and a pint racing over €5, for what exactly?

Have you ever considered selling soft drinks on draught like in the UK? The price of soft drinks is extortionate in public houses.
    A mineral where I work is €2.50 which is a fair price. The ice machine costs money so does the glass washer. As well as the slice of lime etc.

Generally speaking someone drinking minerals will only only have 2 to 3. Where as someone drinking alcohol will have a few more,

Im not sure if it is illegal but thats the way it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Do you like a pint yourself?

• Advertisement

Tipping and a pint racing over €5, for what exactly?

Guinness is €4 Lager is €4.40. Lads tip at Christmas as its the country way. A lot of these people would have got drives home during the year from me.

gozunda wrote: »
    Do you like a pint yourself?

I love them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

Yes they do lol. They would stand behind them and politely say" your are sitting in my seat". It works 99 times out of a hundred. The other 1 out of a 100 they usually pick a different seat and mumble to themselves.

Theyd be told to get to f**k in my local. Any stools thats empty and once theres no drink in front of it is fair game. W@nkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,333 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I used to see the same thing in my local, one oul fella used to have a stool he always wanted to sit on in the corner and everyone knew him so they let him have it.

Most of those lads are dead and gone now so it's different these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

A mineral where I work is €2.50 which is a fair price. The ice machine costs money so does the glass washer. As well as the slice of lime etc.

Generally speaking someone drinking minerals will only only have 2 to 3. Where as someone drinking alcohol will have a few more,

Do you serve them in 250ml glass bottles, 330ml glass bottles or regular cans? Are they refigerated or do you just use ice?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,498 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Pubs also act in concert to keep prices at a certain level. This is anti competitive aswell but none seems to care.
    Im not sure if it is illegal but thats the way it works.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/large-breweries-pay-publicans-not-to-stock-smaller-companies-beer-cider-1.3553407

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Do you serve them in 250ml glass bottles, 330ml glass bottles or regular cans? Are they refigerated or do you just use ice?

250 Ml Glass Bottle and yes they are refrigerated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Brilliant, The best comment I have read on the internet. If only everyone was as great as you, Take a bow.

Are you not familiar with the title of the thread? Your talents are not being wasted that is for sure

Are you not familiar with the title of the thread? Your talents are not being wasted that is for sure
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Alpha_zero banned from forum for 1 week for ignoring mod instruction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement