Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now ye're talking - to a country barman

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

How many times have you went home for a bit of jiggy with one of the customers once you finished work?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Interesting to hear you talk about the alcoholics, like they are all the same. Would you hear the reason why they turned to drink or would their stories just be the same old bitter and twisted nonsense?

If a family member came in and pleaded with you not to serve their relative. Would you?

I worked as a barman in a Greek holiday resort many lives ago. There were very few punters whom I wasn’t delighted to see go home after their week/two weeks away. How do you manage to cope with the same faces, year after year, boring the pants off you?

Still waiting to hear if you’d ever run your own bar?

Do you know all the tricks for scamming the place? Can you give us some examples please?

If the owner has the till covered by a camera or two, how does it make you feel as the employee?

Have you had many trying to sue the owner for some spurious negligence claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭flatty

My question is about Guinness. In some places its lovely, in others undrinkable. Why is this?
    Also, in the UK, why is it usually worse, and why is it nearly always nice in some pubs and nearly always rotten in others (as a rule of thumb, when I go into a bar, if a good few people aren't drinking Guinness already, then I drink lager)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

flatty wrote: »
    My question is about Guinness. In some places its lovely, in others undrinkable. Why is this?
    Also, in the UK, why is it usually worse, and why is it nearly always nice in some pubs and nearly always rotten in others

I suppose it depends on how often they clean out their taps and the training of the bar staff. Also in the UK it wouldn't be as popular so the correct procedures wouldn't be adhered to.

That's what I've heard anyway from people involved in the pub trade our guest might have a different explanation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭Jennehy

Do you get old Shielas wrote off on wine looking for more than a ride home regularly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

flatty wrote: »
    Quite often, the kegs may not be changed correctly. When I was a loungeboy 20 or so years ago, there'd be one way to change the all kegs, and another way to change the Guinnes kegs. This would be because the gas in post pints would not be in Guinness. Doing this badly would mean a bad pint.

Added to this, most barmen will pull all pints from the one tap, as that tap would be most used, and thus would be chilled. Next time you're getting a Gunness, feel the base of the tap; if it's not cold, ask them to use one that is, or goto another pub.

=-=

My question would be about the smokers; when the ban came in, was there much of a reduction in people smoking, or indeed people coming to the pub? Or did you just work around it?

In the local down where my grandfather used to live in Scartaglin, Lyons, there'd be a section out back on the way to the toilets that you could smoke in, or over in the Brown Flesk Inn in Currow there'd be what can only be described as a possible outhouse due to the size where'd have to cram into to smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Jennehy wrote: »
    Do you get old Shielas wrote off on wine looking for more than a ride home regularly?

Pretty sure he’s in Kerry, not Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

They;d be against the legislation of off licences as well

• Company Representative Posts: 128 Verified rep I'm a country barman, AMA

Noveight wrote: »
    Having seen how the industry works, would you buy a pub yourself?

No I would not. The hours that need to be put in are crazy.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Would you consider buying or taking over the pub once the owner retires or if it's ever a possibility?
    Not a chance. There is just too much work involved. I'm hoping to be a paramedic in the near future.

• Advertisement

And...??

Turned it down. I'm a married man.

beertons wrote: »
    Auld boy comes in and asks for top shelf. What have ya got?

Jameson, powers, paddy, Most auld me drink whiskey and water. It would be rare they would drink something else from top shelf.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Are ye worried about being identified? Can't be that many POs in Kerry with a bar attached?

Maybe enough for doubt, but I see you're being careful in answers so perhaps anticipated this?
    there's quiet a few with a post office. Not really worried about being identified, but I'd rather not be.

RasTa wrote: »
    How much is a pint of Guinness?

What would be the average weekly takings? Say during a decent week.
    Guinness is €4.20 , lager is €4.60, powers is €3.60. They would be the most popular drinks. A mineral is €2.50. Baby is €1.80

What whiskys have you got and which one is your biggest seller? Also what id the most poular way of taking it: red lemonade, ice, drop of water, neat, with coke ...etc?

Powers , Jameson, Paddy and a few scotches that are rarely used. Neat is most popular with water a close 2nd.

Om your night off would you go to your workplace for a few, or go somewhere else?
    The last person you barred, what was the reason?

The odd time. The wife is nervous driving over from where we live to collect me. It's a dark tight road.

It's being years since i barred someone. Prob ably would have being barred for getting agressive when told it was home time.

How many times have you went home for a bit of jiggy with one of the customers once you finished work?
    Not as much as I would have liked lol. A handful maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Do you charge for a dash or do you thrown the large bottle on the counter ?

Do you mind the customers that ask for an orange cordial and spend an hour sipping it watching a Premier League match. ?
    Do you charge for cordials ?

I know many ladies that bring the shoulder of Caot Morgan in their handbag and top up every now and again.
    Do you watch out for this kind of thing ?

Interesting to hear you talk about the alcoholics, like they are all the same. Would you hear the reason why they turned to drink or would their stories just be the same old bitter and twisted nonsense?

If a family member came in and pleaded with you not to serve their relative. Would you?

I worked as a barman in a Greek holiday resort many lives ago. There were very few punters whom I wasn’t delighted to see go home after their week/two weeks away. How do you manage to cope with the same faces, year after year, boring the pants off you?

Still waiting to hear if you’d ever run your own bar?

Do you know all the tricks for scamming the place? Can you give us some examples please?

If the owner has the till covered by a camera or two, how does it make you feel as the employee?

Have you had many trying to sue the owner for some spurious negligence claim?
    There are 3 alcoholics that drink in the bar. 2 of them have no children or wives. One of them had a wife but left her years ago. His 2 children are in their 20s now.

They don't say why they drink. They don't admit to being alcoholics just "good pub men"

If there as found kids at home and the money was being wasted on drink I prob would stop serving them if a family member asked.

I wouldn't run my own bar. Too much hassle involved. I hope the be a paramedic soon and out of the pub game.

99.9 % of the customers I look forward to seeing. They are sociable drinkers and I enjoy the banter. They don't drink themself stupid like people do on holidays. It's also nice to see their kids grow up and head on to college, emigrate etc.

The most usual scam involves working with a customer. They hand €5 and get the change of a €50. The barman gets 25 and the customer gets €20. A few pints would not be rang through the till so it balances at the end of the night.

I've never stole myself. Eventually you will be caught.

I know where all the cameras are. It's not just a barman that could steal money from the till. Could be a customer running in behind the bar when a barrel is being tapped, a family member, money paid out by the boss that was forgetting about etc. I have no problem with cameras being anywhere in the bar

No one has tried to sue in any of the bars I have worked in.

• Advertisement

I know there's still a few questions that haven't being answered. I'm back home tomorrow evening and I will make sure everything is answered.

I know many ladies that bring the shoulder of Caot Morgan in their handbag and top up every now and again.
    Do you watch out for this kind of thing ?

That only happens when a bus pulls in on a mystery tour. We keep and eye out then. It's a huge problem with the younger generation and mostly women.

Does your pub water down the vodka especially for the ones that have had one too many ?

Have you ever caught anyone reaching in to top up their pint ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Would you ever consider renaming your pub The Melted Welly?

I can guarantee you at least 10 new regulars. Like, for once a year meetups maybe.....

We are all raging alcoholics though, so it'll be well worth it even for that one night!

Any answer for this one op?

Time is running out for the meet up, about 10 weeks from now, plus rooms! (but we are thinking of sharing just the one room)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

there were 3 pub break-ins around my neck of the woods recently and they seem to be on the rise. do you ever worry about that happening with a pub, shop and post office connected and it being so rural?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

There are 3 alcoholics that drink in the bar. 2 of them have no children or wives. One of them had a wife but left her years ago. His 2 children are in their 20s now.

They don't say why they drink. They don't admit to being alcoholics just "good pub men"

If there as found kids at home and the money was being wasted on drink I prob would stop serving them if a family member asked.

I wouldn't run my own bar. Too much hassle involved. I hope the be a paramedic soon and out of the pub game.

99.9 % of the customers I look forward to seeing. They are sociable drinkers and I enjoy the banter. They don't drink themself stupid like people do on holidays. It's also nice to see their kids grow up and head on to college, emigrate etc.

The most usual scam involves working with a customer. They hand €5 and get the change of a €50. The barman gets 25 and the customer gets €20. A few pints would not be rang through the till so it balances at the end of the night.

I've never stole myself. Eventually you will be caught.

I know where all the cameras are. It's not just a barman that could steal money from the till. Could be a customer running in behind the bar when a barrel is being tapped, a family member, money paid out by the boss that was forgetting about etc. I have no problem with cameras being anywhere in the bar

No one has tried to sue in any of the bars I have worked in.

I don't have any questions, just on observation, I'd say your experience as a country barman (and probably bouncer) understanding and dealing with seasoned alcoholics, various members of ethnic communities, teenagers, chancers, thieves, unseasoned drinkers being drunk, bad parents, drunk drivers etc... would be very very handy as part of a paramedic crew.

I'm good friends with one of the countries most senior paramedics and the majority of problems are to do with booze. More than drugs. (and that's Dublin city).

Best of luck with the paramedic ambition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

- In an average month, how many people do you get coming in asking for donations for whatever charity event or fundraiser they are doing?

(I overheard a pub owner who was well used to them, turn down a fairly annoying woman
    with the fantastic offer of no cash donations, but she can have free use of the lounge for a quiz night)

- Do ye leave the till open at night with a small sum of cash inside?

(Odd question, but I know a former bar manager who used to do this in case of a break-in
    that could cost a few thousand in damage from someone trying to force open the empty tills)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Hi OP.

Do you consider barwork easier these days than years ago? I did it for years from the early 80s till the mid 90s. There was always a chancer on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

Is a baby soda water just sparkling water trying to be classy and expensive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

- Do ye leave the till open at night with a small sum of cash inside?

(Odd question, but I know a former bar manager who used to do this in case of a break-in
    that could cost a few thousand in damage from someone trying to force open the empty tills)

Standard practice for most retail outlets I believe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement