Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now ye're talking - to a country barman

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 128 Verified rep I'm a country barman, AMA

jimgoose wrote: »
    Those glasses proved so deeply unpopular around here that the two local pubs got rid of them all after a few weeks.

Same as Jim. We have a few boxes in the store room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

ok seriously why?

I'm no young lad, and i do like Guinness. How in the hell do ye reckon the glass makes any difference?

Is it from a publicans point of view? Stacking? Cleaning?

I would drink the stuff out of a brandy glass and no fcuks given asw long as it was a nice pint of creamy goodness.....

oh i just remembered something that would finish ye off altogether!

A friends bar got a load of these jam jar glasses and served up pints in them one evening for the craic.

Free pints mind, and yes one cranky fecker was insulted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭josip

ok seriously why?

I'm no young lad, and i do like Guinness. How in the hell do ye reckon the glass makes any difference?

Is it from a publicans point of view? Stacking? Cleaning?

I would drink the stuff out of a brandy glass and no fcuks given asw long as it was a nice pint of creamy goodness.....

It just doesn't feel right in the hand.
    Imagine you gave Joe Canning another hurley to play with.
    It's still a hurley, it might even be another Galway hurler's hurley.
    But it wouldn't feel right in the hand.

I always like to run a finger down the condensation on the outside of the glass before I drink any.
    Lovely and smooth on the proper glass.
    Horrible on the embossed yoke.

fair play josip!

It's the change!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Not sure if this has been asked but do you get many customers still looking for the 1/2 litre instead of the pint. It used to be quiet common where I came from.

A local bar near me has opened and it has no televisions. Craft beers and a general nice drinking vibe about it. I believe Sky Sports plus BT can be close to 10 grand a year depending on turnover.

Where do you see the future of bars. Most around me that are doing well are serving food.
    I notice when in Europe people drink much smaller size measures of beer.

A lot of villages in rural areas have barely a shop now and the pub must be an important outlet. Is the future of the rural bar an evening/weekend job with a main job alongside?

Thanks for the read. It touches on a lot of issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Good question. There would be a lot of lads who head to the Limerick, Galway races and back a few horses on the day. That would be the only time they gamble as there is no bookies around.

I have noticed that a lot of the younger lads are gambling online. They are glued to their phones when they are in the bar and gamble on everything. I do think there is a crisis looming as these young lads seem to be detached from society. They dont socialize with the other customers when they are in the bar, there lives seem to revolve around the phone.

The odd time they do win a few pounds they just gamble it all back. Factor in alcohol and they are making some stupid decisions. Its heartbreaking to see. Young lads really are getting in over their heads.

Interesting about the gambling. I remember being in a pub in a rural Kerry village about ten years ago which afaik kept a book and took bets not sure if it was above board or not?

Do many rural pubs these days take bets these days? assume yours doesn't atm or has it at any point?

Not sure if this has been asked but do you get many customers still looking for the 1/2 litre instead of the pint. It used to be quiet common where I came from.

A local bar near me has opened and it has no televisions. Craft beers and a general nice drinking vibe about it. I believe Sky Sports plus BT can be close to 10 grand a year depending on turnover.

Where do you see the future of bars. Most around me that are doing well are serving food.
    I notice when in Europe people drink much smaller size measures of beer.

A lot of villages in rural areas have barely a shop now and the pub must be an important outlet. Is the future of the rural bar an evening/weekend job with a main job alongside?

Thanks for the read. It touches on a lot of issues.

In all my years working in a bar I have never had someone ask for a half litre. If the Guinness head was high they would joke they asked for a pint not a half litre.

Its busy where I work so the shop is open at 9am and the bar at 10:30 am. A lot of other rural bars dont open until 4pm or even 6pm. The publican usually works some kind of a day job whether it be part time or full time. Its a tough way to make a living.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Interesting about the gambling. I remember being in a pub in a rural Kerry village about ten years ago which afaik kept a book and took bets not sure if it was above board or not?

Do many rural pubs these days take bets these days? assume yours doesn't atm or has it at any point?

The bar I work in has never taking bets. A lot of rural pubs would have had a few years back. Either the publican with take a risk and cover the payout himself, Or he would take the bet and gamble online but at reduced odds e.g You put a tenner on a 5/1 horse that wins. The publican pays out at 4/1 and keeps a bit himself. Im not 100% but I think its illegal. Other publicans would pay full price.

Its not as popular anymore with online gambling being so easy to access.

Crawl back under whatever rock you came out of

Let him off, If he wants my comeback he can go home and scrape it off his mothers teeth :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Let him off, If he wants my comeback he can go home and scrape it off his mothers teeth

Robbing a Jimmy Carr joke....now that is low😥😫😱

Still comical though.

His comment about piss in the bar wasn't that original either. Luckily where I work most people don't watch Jimmy so I can slag away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Does the tilting of the glass when pouring a pint of stout actually matter ? It's just my local pub do at times just put the glass on the tray under the tap and pour the pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Does the tilting of the glass when pouring a pint of stout actually matter ? It's just my local pub do at times just put the glass on the tray under the tap and pour the pint.

If you want a proper head it does. Otherwise there'd be no point even bothering.

My question OP, what ciders do you stock? Have you applemans? If so, does anyone actually drink it?

Itssoeasy wrote: »

It actually does. If you don't tilt the glass you will have a high head covered in bubbles. It looks terrible.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    If you want a proper head it does. Otherwise there'd be no point even bothering.

My question OP, what ciders do you stock? Have you applemans? If so, does anyone actually drink it?

With the exception of this summer. Cider has being a terrible seller in the last few years. We stock Bulmers , Cronins, Koppaberg and Rekorderlig. Bulmers is the biggest seller with Cronins a close second. (Local cider) the other 2 coders are strawberry and lime and only the ladies drink them.

With the exception of this summer. Cider has being a terrible seller in the last few years. We stock Bulmers , Cronins, Koppaberg and Rekorderlig. Bulmers is the biggest seller with Cronins a close second. (Local cider) the other 2 coders are strawberry and lime and only the ladies drink them.

A trend I find somewhat bizzare, I would be quite fond of cider, many people my age and under are the same. Perhaps it's somewhat due to a trend of young people not drinking in bars as much?

I'm surprised you don't stock orchard theives!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Ahem....!!!

ok... ****... can you call a taxi for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I agree about the gambling. Normally these days if I have a few pints it's between 6 and 8. I stopped going to the most convenient pub because nearly everyone is betting. Up to 20 people all putting on bets with the staff who ring the bets in to a bookie. There is more of the staffs time taken up on the phone, sorting dockets and cash than there is filling pints. Nobody wants to chat because there is always a race on or nearly on. That's just on the weekdays.

I don't know the legalities of it but it ruined a good pub. Every fiver the bookie gets is a pint a punter is not drinking.

• Advertisement

A trend I find somewhat bizzare, I would be quite fond of cider, many people my age and under are the same. Perhaps it's somewhat due to a trend of young people not drinking in bars as much?

I'm surprised you don't stock orchard theives!
    That's exactly it. The average age of the regulars is in the 40s.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Ahem....!!!

On the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Do the regular old boys at the bar have 'their' stools?
    And what happens when a stranger comes in and sits on it?

To thine own self be true

Do the regular old boys at the bar have 'their' stools?
    And what happens when a stranger comes in and sits on it?

Yes they do lol. They would stand behind them and politely say" your are sitting in my seat". It works 99 times out of a hundred. The other 1 out of a 100 they usually pick a different seat and mumble to themselves.

Ever done the drunk toss?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Ahem....!!!

Your name is John Rambo, and you drink strawberry and lime cider?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

How common is it for someone to say 'have one yourself'? and do you take a drink while working or would you put the money in a tip jar?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭josip

Lawlesz wrote: »
    Your name is John Rambo, and you drink strawberry and lime cider?

When your name is John Rambo you can drink whatever the f**k you want.

Ever done the drunk toss?
    Not in a long, long time.

• Advertisement

How common is it for someone to say 'have one yourself'? and do you take a drink while working or would you put the money in a tip jar?

Its common after a big game, eg Kerry winning, Ireland winning in the rugby etc. It goes in to a tip Jar thats opened every January.

The majority of customers would give me between €20 to €50 every Christmas. Country people tip well at Christmas, The postman makes a fortune as well at Christmas in rural locations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement