Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now ye're talking - to a country barman

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jt69er

How often do Guinness and other brewers call to check the pints you pour ?
    Lines cleaned and equipment serviced every 23 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

jt69er wrote: »

Dont they have a new system now where they only call out half as often?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jt69er

clio_16v wrote: »
    jt69er wrote: »

Originally was 20 days, extended to 23 days in the last year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Do ye give regulars a free drink or two at Christmas time?

When was the last time ye got something for nothing from Guinness?

Is it true they are the tightest crowd to deal with?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Company Representative Posts: 128 Verified rep I'm a country barman, AMA

clio_16v wrote: »

I thought he meant the way it was a few years back, A random person would call and order a pint of guinness and ask for the receipt. They would then give you a score out of ten and a free polo shirt or fleece.

When they reps call to clean the lines the wont wait around for someone to order a Guinness to check the quality if there is no one drinking it.

• Advertisement

Do ye give regulars a free drink or two at Christmas time?

When was the last time ye got something for nothing from Guinness?

Is it true they are the tightest crowd to deal with?

Yeah the regulars get looked after at Christmas. Guinness never give us anything. The might with busy city bars but im not too sure.

I cant remember the last time I saw a guinness promotion. Carling are brilliant to deal with. Always giving tops and running competitions.

osarusan wrote: »
    Considering the normal service provided (range of food, drinks, facilities) by a country pub, what is the most ridiculous customer order/expectation you have had?

The regulars know what we have and are grand, Its usually Americans who insist on paying with dollars instead of card or euros. I had a european tourist pass through and the lady asked if she could use the bathroom. I let her. On the way back she asked for a glass of tap water and gave out there was no lemon with the water and the signage for the bathroom was poor.

I gave her a slice of lemon and asked for €1. She reluctantly paid after I explained that ice, lemon, glasswaher all cost money and she was taking up space. We would never charge normally for this but she was being a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Do you care about trip advisor reviews, do good/ bad ones make any difference to your business?
    Do you think you'll continue to work part time whenever you start paramedic training?

Redser87 wrote: »
    Do you care about trip advisor reviews, do good/ bad ones make any difference to your business?
    Do you think you'll continue to work part time whenever you start paramedic training?
    THey really dont make any difference to where I work. If would be a different story if we served food I would imagine.

I prob will work away part time if I need to,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Country barman who gives a **** lol, now you talking to a minimum wage worker

• Advertisement

Alpha_zero wrote: »

If you go back to post 131 you will see I all ready answered a question about minimum wage that you asked.

I dont make minimum wage I make a lot more. But even if I did what is wrong with that? Would you rather people claimed social welfare rather than work a minimum wage job? Or should they get off their ass and work a minimum wage job and accept the slide remarks you make.

You obviously give some bit of "A F***" as you have posted twice here all ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

If you go back to post 131 you will see I all ready answered a question about minimum wage that you asked.

I dont make minimum wage I make a lot more. But even if I did what is wrong with that? Would you rather people claimed social welfare rather than work a minimum wage job? Or should they get off their ass and work a minimum wage job and accept the slide remarks you make.

You obviously give some bit of "A F***" as you have posted twice here all ready.

Fair play to you OP, taking pride in what you do isn’t about how much you are paid. Thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

Do you have many customers that ask for specific glasses or have there own glass on the shelf? In my own local there are lads like this and I always find it odd

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

You on a break from cleaning the piss of the bar

• Registered Users Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You were well christened.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Fair play to you OP, taking pride in what you do isn’t about how much you are paid. Thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

Do you have many customers that ask for specific glasses or have there own glass on the shelf? In my own local there are lads like this and I always find it odd

There's a lady who comes into my former local pub in Cork and she used to ask for a pint of Budweiser in a Carlsberg glass, she would theh pour into a half pint glass. She was devastated when Carlsberg changed the glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Dude? If you're not interested don't post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

Great Thread.

Keep going:)

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Alpha_zero wrote:

Crawl back under whatever rock you came out of

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Was there controversey over the new guinness glasses when they came out?
    Some of my pals were up in arms !
    Me...it's the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

What are the main topics of conversation in your pub?

If someone came in that had no interest in GAA, would anyone have anything to talk to them about?

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

I cleared my PM’s now if you tried to respond yesterday!

Not where I work now. THere was a lad in another bar that would only drink lager in a nonic glass with no head.

ABout 20 years ago there was an auld lad who would only drink warm guinness. We had to pout hot water in to a nonic glass and place the pint of guiness in to it.

Was there controversey over the new guinness glasses when they came out?
    Some of my pals were up in arms !
    Me...it's the same.

We still have them in the store room. THey are a terrible glass. None of the regulars will use them. It only seems to be tourists who will use them.

scotchy wrote: »
    What are the main topics of conversation in your pub?

If someone came in that had no interest in GAA, would anyone have anything to talk to them about?

Gaa and politics would be the main conversations. To be fair the regulars would change the conversation to suit a stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

A good bartender is worth his or her weight in gold in a local, be it in the country, the city-centre, or as in my own case, a quiet Southside Cork suburb where about half the denizens aren't at all sure about this "City" caper at all at all, at all. :cool:

We still have them in the store room. THey are a terrible glass. None of the regulars will use them. It only seems to be tourists who will use the.

Awful glass. Shocking. We're talking about those taller, narrower ones with the sort of vaguely double-helix pattern engraved in them? They don't suit stout at all, and spoil the whole experience of the pint, I found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Would you have much gambling talk in the pub? I know in the few pubs in my town there's always tips and advice and bragging regarding horses and other sports going on. A lot of lads are in over their heads imo.
    Basically would you say there's a gambling crisis looming in this country?

Would you have much gambling talk in the pub? I know in the few pubs in my town there's always tips and advice and bragging regarding horses and other sports going on. A lot of lads are in over their heads imo.
    Basically would you say there's a gambling crisis looming in this country?

Good question. There would be a lot of lads who head to the Limerick, Galway races and back a few horses on the day. That would be the only time they gamble as there is no bookies around.

I have noticed that a lot of the younger lads are gambling online. They are glued to their phones when they are in the bar and gamble on everything. I do think there is a crisis looming as these young lads seem to be detached from society. They dont socialize with the other customers when they are in the bar, there lives seem to revolve around the phone.

The odd time they do win a few pounds they just gamble it all back. Factor in alcohol and they are making some stupid decisions. Its heartbreaking to see. Young lads really are getting in over their heads.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Awful glass. Shocking. We're talking about those taller, narrower ones with the sort of vaguely double-helix pattern engraved in them? They don't suit stout at all, and spoil the whole experience of the pint, I found.

I dont know what they were thinking when they gave them out. If I handed a pint out to someone in one of those glasses it would be handed back.

• Advertisement

I dont know what they were thinking when they gave them out. If I handed a pint out to someone in one of those glasses it would be handed back.

Those glasses proved so deeply unpopular around here that the two local pubs got rid of them all after a few weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement