Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

student goes on driving rampage around Dublin city centre.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

listermint wrote: »
    Loads isnt a number. And yes its a serious question

I would say very few 20 year old students drive expensive cars

You know BMW's aren't expensive... Yo do realise there is many years or reg plates in vehicles.
    BMWs aren't expensive?
    Indeed..one of the most erudite statements ever posted on Boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Seems like he comes from a well off background and has[had now, I suppose] good prospects. Doesn't fit the profile of a terrorist.

I say we take his oil though.

can't be much more than 5 or so liters in that car, hardly worth it really

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

EdEd wrote: »
    Funny thing is you're the first person to mention his religion. What does that say about you?

It says that I came prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

There’s a crew of students from rich looking Arab families always chilling at Starbucks on Stephen’s Green. Some have nice cars. Given this car was driven out from Stephen’s Green garage, I would guess he’s a friend of those guys. Not to say there’s anything genuinely sinister about all of that.

Glad you sorted that Dr Asset.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I was glad to have a fvcking bike when I was a student.

A bike??? La de da.
    I was lucky to have shoes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,472 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

BMWs aren't expensive?
    Indeed..one of the most erudite statements ever posted on Boards.ie

€500 will allow you entry to the 'elite' world of BMW ownership these days (running the feckin thing on the other hand...)

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars/BMW/?price_from=500&sort=price%20asc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I’m glad you solely use Boards as your news outlet.

Newspapers are reporting it.

I read the article linked above and no it does not say he was a Muslim. What "newsoutlet" you using?

Edit: No not even the tabloid is reporting the driver was a "Muslim" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

kneemos wrote: »
    God save us and protect our children that somebody should have a few Bob.

And your point is???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    A bike??? La de da.
    I was lucky to have shoes

Shoes? Luxury we just had to polish our feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DarTipp

regardless of his issues/background whatever as long he gets a heavy fine and ban off the road for a couple years in order to affect his insurance costs really badly when he does decide to use the roads properly will be fair imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,472 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

RustyNut wrote: »

There were two hundred and fifty of us living at the bottom of a septic tank in Ranelagh. And we paid landlord a thousand euro a month for privilege.

gozunda wrote: »
    I read the article linked above and no it does not say he was a Muslim. What "newsoutlet" you using? The Sun?

I have read a few articles. But on the google news app It was a red top that mentioned Muslim in the heading. Don’t think it was the sun. Also, as we have seen before people automatically associate Arab with Muslim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

RustyNut wrote: »

Polish? We were lucky to have feet.

I have read a few articles. But on the google news app It was a red top that mentioned Muslim in the heading. Don’t think it was the sun. Also, as we have seen before people automatically associate Arab with Muslim.

Google news app??? The whole idea is Not to make rapid associations based on religion or ethnicity. Just because others do it - doesn't mean anyone else should either. Works both ways imo ...

There were two hundred and fifty of us living at the bottom of a septic tank in Ranelagh. And we paid landlord a thousand euro a month for privilege.

ah now, that's only 4 quid each....not a reason for complaint really is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭millie35

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Polish? We were lucky to have feet.

Don't bring the Polish into it, it's complicated enough as it is.

Google news app??? The whole idea is Not to make rapid associations based on religion or ethnicity. Just because others do it - doesn't mean anyone else should either. Works both ways imo ...

Yes the google news app shows a range of sources for each news item.

So you are saying that you’d have jumped on whoever mentions the word Muslim first?

I’m just waiting for the anti-Muslim brigade to arrive.

there is no doubt that this is true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

there is no doubt that this is true

5 pages in, still waiting.

5 pages in, still waiting.

I only have 2 pages. It’s all down to settings ;)

• Advertisement

Here's a question....how long does everybody think this guy's family would need to live in Dublin before they go from a 'Dublin based Middle Eastern family' to just a 'Dublin family'?

And would it vary much by news outlet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

The mirror reported that he was an Arab and that there was a Koran found in the car. While it looks like it was someone with mental health issues, and not terrorist related, he will obviously have to be investigated thoroughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Brae100 wrote: »
    The mirror reported that he was an Arab and that there was a Koran found in the car. While it looks like it was someone with mental health issues, and not terrorist related, he will obviously have to be investigated thoroughly.

Don't know if that is true, maybe he wanted to plough into people and he just couldn't do it ?

Now is not the time to be PC with the guards - needs to be properly investigated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Exit: No not even the tabloid is reporting the driver was a "Muslim" :pac:

In fairness, several reports say this
    https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/south-quays-dublin-crash-14572801

A search of the car found a large number of items including a copy of the Koran.
    Possession of a book doesn't imply religious affiliation.

It could be just final year student going gaga, even if that's not something that I can recall happening before.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

And your point is???

Ah sure I'll have a Guinness. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Seems like he comes from a well off background and has[had now, I suppose] good prospects. Doesn't fit the profile of a terrorist.

I say we take his oil though.

A well off background with good prospects like those nice chaps who tried to firebomb glasgow airport or the nice well off chaps who flew airplanes into buildings?

That some profile you're working off there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Wow. An e90 bmw , thing must be worth 2000-3000...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

Don't know if that is true, maybe he wanted to plough into people and he just couldn't do it ?

Now is not the time to be PC with the guards - needs to be properly investigated.

Yep. You'd have to be extremely naive to not even consider the possibility that it could have been an attempted Islamist terrorist incident. The Gardai also removed several bags of "material" from the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

EdEd wrote: »
    Funny thing is you're the first person to mention his religion. What does that say about you?

You're probably a rereg, what does that say about you?

• Advertisement

Yes the google news app shows a range of sources for each news item. So you are saying that you’d have jumped on whoever mentions the word Muslim first?

The title of the thread clearly states "student". You gratuitously brought up about the issue about muslims. I seriously hope you don't believe everything you read online ...

I tell you what just drop the shovel and stop digging - you are the only one who has mentioned the 'student' being a Muslim

Advertisement