Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

student goes on driving rampage around Dublin city centre.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Except for media gratification so that sensationalist and hysterical headlines can be created, the nationality if of no consequence - this guy suffered a mental breakdown, he went about it in a violent driving manner and it caused a crash.

Gardai were already on the case, but it could have been worse.

Mental illness affects many people - some will do things that will affect and hurt others, some will commit suicide. And they come from all sorts of backgrounds, and such background should not be used for sensationalist purposes.

Sort of reminds me of living in london in the 80's - any Irishman involved in anything and it was stated a "check was done for IRA connections" - effectively it was assumed you were involved with the IRA until it was proven otherwise.

Quite often you hear people complain about how students are snowflakes, the thing is that they can face a lot more pressure than students did 20 years ago. Thankfully students generally have very good access to mental health resources but they don't always avail of them. For some people they don't realise there's a problem until it's too late. Especially for guys. Guys are taught to suck it up and deal with it.

We do need more awareness of mental health issues and kids need to be taught when to ask for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

gozunda wrote: »
    The title of the thread clearly states "student". You gratuitously brought up about the issue about muslims. I seriously hope you don't believe everything you read online ...

I tell you what just drop the shovel and stop digging - you are the only one who has mentioned the 'student' being a Muslim

Not sure why you are taking what was in a headline this morning so personally. Each to their own. Hope the stress doesn’t cause you a heart attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Grayson wrote: »
    We do need more awareness of mental health issues and kids need to be taught when to ask for help.

"Kids" just need to be taught that going on stabbing spree's or smashing into other peoples car's are indicative that they might have a slightly bigger problem than the common or garden variety that students tend to suffer from.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Quite often you hear people complain about how students are snowflakes, the thing is that they can face a lot more pressure than students did 20 years ago.

why? when I graduated, unemployment was much higher than now

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Not sure why you are taking what was in a headline this morning so personally. Each to their own...*

What headline? You've provided no link to a headline stating the student was a 'Muslim' And yet you choose to deride others on that basis. Exagerate much?
    I’m just waiting for the anti-Muslim brigade to arrive. .

There's more written here about mental health than your overt assumptions about others...

*your personal comment removed

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    "Kids" just need to be taught that going on stabbing spree's or smashing into other peoples car's are indicative that they might have a slightly bigger problem than the common or garden variety that students tend to suffer from.

I don't think you understand the phrase "mental illness". I think you also have to remember that this guy didn't go on a stabbing spree. So maybe you shouldn't conflate the two.

silverharp wrote: »
    why? when I graduated, unemployment was much higher than now

House prices were lower and so lower paid could have a future. There were also less graduates. Younger people nowadays live in a completely different world.

What headline? You've provided no link to a headline stating the student was a 'Muslim' And yet you choose to deride anyone on that basis. Exagerate much?

There was a headline on one of the red top websites this morning. It may still be there, it may have been updated since, it may be deleted. Enjoy your stress levels and the rest of your day. I’m off out for a while with my son and wife, and that’s far more important than being brought down to a certain level in a silly online discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Seems like he comes from a well off background and has[had now, I suppose] good prospects. Doesn't fit the profile of a terrorist.

I say we take his oil though.

A well off background with good prospects like those nice chaps who tried to firebomb glasgow airport or the nice well off chaps who flew airplanes into buildings?

That some profile you're working off there :D
    The likelihood of an individual with good life prospects becoming radicalised is much lower than an individual with none.

Of course, you get the odd one who could have made something of themselves, but most of the "lone wolf" terrorists are unemployed, uneducated and with little to live for.

There was a headline on one of the red top websites this morning. It may still be there, it may have been updated since, it may be deleted. Enjoy your stress levels and the rest of your day. I’m off out for a while with my son and wife, and that’s far more important than being brought down to a certain level in a silly online discussion.

So you have claimed. Do you believe everything on the tabloids / red tops? Quite laughable after commenting that others only belived what they read on boards ... lol. Silly indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,039 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

From the Irish Times article

Surely immigration status he would have been subject to a robust check prior to arrival?

Not much to check up on before someone's born - they know exactly where he's been for the last nine months and who he's been in contact with.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

So you have claimed. Do you believe everything on the tabloids / red tops? Quite laughable after commenting that others only belived what they read on boards ... lol. Silly indeed.

LOL. You’ve wrapped yourself up so much in having to argue you forgot what you were arguing about. Re-read my first post. It shows that I don’t believe it.

Definitely off this time. I just had to check back in to see if you were still looking for a row.

You’ve wrapped yourself up so much in having to argue you forgot what you were arguing about. Re-read my first post. It shows that I don’t believe it. Definitely off this time. *.

When asked who said he was a Muslim - you said
    I’m glad you solely use Boards as your news outlet.
    Newspapers are reporting it.

So in plain English - what newspaper stated the student was a Muslim?

The relevant comment ...
    I’m just waiting for the anti-Muslim brigade to arrive....

I hope your long wait hasn't been too futile - perhaps you might think twice before spouting silly comments like that next time as its only purpose serves to stir trouble and hinder discussion imo.

* personal comments deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

House prices were lower and so lower paid could have a future. There were also less graduates. Younger people nowadays live in a completely different world.

when I graduated the thought of buying a car let alone a property seemed like a distant dream. There probably are too many kids doing degrees that wont add value, they should be aware of that going in.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

when I graduated the thought of buying a car let alone a property seemed like a distant dream. There probably are too many kids doing degrees that wont add value, they should be aware of that going in.

This is kinda separate and I don't want to derail too much but 20 years ago I knew people on minimum wage who could afford a mortgage. Sure they saved and lived at home but they did it. Now you have people on 30k a year who do that.
    It used to be that working hard was enough, now the majority need to work hard, study hard and even get a little bit lucky. The average house price is probably 10 times higher than it was 10 years ago and wages haven't kept up. The average young person is spending 60% of their wages on rent so saving for a deposit is out of the question.
    And in colleges so many are pushing themselves so they can get a graduate position. For that they need the best grades since they're competing against so many other graduates.

btw, I remember when i was in my 20's a guy I knew got a quite for 8000 punts for car insurance. He eventually went with Quinn for 3k. That was the reason we couldn't afford cars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

This is kinda separate and I don't want to derail too much but 20 years ago I knew people on minimum wage who could afford a mortgage. Sure they saved and lived at home but they did it. Now you have people on 30k a year who do that.
    It used to be that working hard was enough, now the majority need to work hard, study hard and even get a little bit lucky. The average house price is probably 10 times higher than it was 10 years ago and wages haven't kept up. The average young person is spending 60% of their wages on rent so saving for a deposit is out of the question.
    And in colleges so many are pushing themselves so they can get a graduate position. For that they need the best grades since they're competing against so many other graduates.

btw, I remember when i was in my 20's a guy I knew got a quite for 8000 punts for car insurance. He eventually went with Quinn for 3k. That was the reason we couldn't afford cars :)

Any source for this?

Not much to check up on before someone's born - they know exactly where he's been for the last nine months and who he's been in contact with.

Now don't be going bringing up the 8th amendment ...

The news said nothing about being a fetus either ;)

May be they can ask the Mammy?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Any source for this?
    I'm the source

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

I can understand the frustration of impending exams and realising you have dossed off for too long.
    I can only presume this guy crossed the event horizon of realising he was screwed for his exams, the dossing caught up with him and he was going to fail.

There must have been some severe expectations weighing on his mind and this resulted in him having a mental breakdown, so much so that he vented these frustrations in a car, weighing about a tonne, at speed. It's lucky nobody was killed. We all remember the accident on Wellington Quay involving the bus.

Quite often you hear people complain about how students are snowflakes, the thing is that they can face a lot more pressure than students did 20 years ago.

do you speak as a student 20 years ago or as a student now?

and what gives you authority to compare?

• Advertisement

also to Grayson:

"The average house price is probably 10 times higher than it was 10 years ago and wages haven't kept up"

what? thats nonsense.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Do we know that it was exam pressure that got to him.

What I've heard is that he came out of Stephens Green and hit a car.....could it be a case of him panicking and trying to do a legger but very unsuccessfully.

also to Grayson:

"The average house price is probably 10 times higher than it was 10 years ago and wages haven't kept up"

what? thats nonsense.

Did I say 10? Sorry I meant 20. I meant pre boom, not when we were in the peak of the actual boom.

20 years ago my landlord in Maynooth sold the house we were in for 37k. He'd bought it for 32k and said "lads this can't keep up. I'm selling when there's a good profit to be made". Those houses are now over 350k.

Any source for this?

A quick google throws this up on the first page.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/dubliners-spend-55-of-take-home-pay-on-rent-1.3267093

That's the average dubliner and it's 55% for them. I'm in work and can't spend too much time looking but it's higher for younger people because they have less wages.

I honestly don't even know how a student is meant to pay rent. The grant would be hard pressed to cover it.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Do we know that it was exam pressure that got to him.

What I've heard is that he came out of Stephens Green and hit a car.....could it be a case of him panicking and trying to do a legger but very unsuccessfully.

True. He might have damaged the BMW on a car worth even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I don't think you understand the phrase "mental illness". I think you also have to remember that this guy didn't go on a stabbing spree. So maybe you shouldn't conflate the two.

I understand that you trying to conflate this sort of outlier psychotic case with students who suffer from mental issues is nothing more than a hail mary nothing-to-see-here-move-along-attempt.

Same with that knife wielding headbanger who killed a young Japanese chap on his way to gainful employment in Dundalk.

Those of us with long memories will recall that long before the more fervent Islamic types started playing ten pin bowling with pedestrians an African chappie unhappy with his asylum status being rejected decided to take a spin up Henry street straight through the shoppers. Apparently he'd took the death of the mother fierce bad. :rolleyes:

Anyway, Mental health issues you say? Might be an idea to stop importing nutters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I see the mental health brigade are out in force. Not all mentally ill people get behind the wheel of a vehicle and go on a rampage. There’s millions of mentally ill people on this planet and it’s time to stop tarring them all with the one brush. Any mentally ill people I’ve met are lovely people and would condemn this behaviour...

I understand that you trying to conflate this sort of outlier psychotic case with students who suffer from mental issues is nothing more than a hail mary nothing-to-see-here-move-along-attempt.

Same with that knife wielding headbanger who killed a young Japanese chap on his way to gainful employment in Dundalk.

Those of us with long memories will recall that long before the more fervent Islamic types started playing ten pin bowling with pedestrians an African chappie unhappy with his asylum status being rejected decided to take a spin up Henry street straight through the shoppers. Apparently he'd took the death of the mother fierce bad. :rolleyes:

Anyway, Mental health issues you say? Might be an idea to stop importing nutters :)

So now you want a psychiatric report for anyone who wants to enter the country? Or are you trying to say the guy in Dundalk didn't have mental issues.

btw, did you notice that i agreed with someone who said he had dinged a car, panicked and was trying to get away. Also I replied to someone who was discussing mental issues.

You however are trying to say this was some kind of islamic attack or because he's muslim. That is really stretching the limits of anyones imagination and shows you have an agenda. We don't know he's muslim. And there's no evidence to suggest any other motivation. Not a single iota.

I see the mental health brigade are out in force. ...
    I’m just waiting for the anti-Muslim brigade to arrive.

The brigades are advancing! :eek:

Run run - run for your lives! ...

• Advertisement

I wonder is this the same lad that was heard screaming in the UCD library after deleting his entire thesis

Advertisement