Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

student goes on driving rampage around Dublin city centre.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I wonder is this the same lad that was heard screaming in the UCD library after deleting his entire thesis

To be fair, I wrote a 40k word thesis a few years ago. Took the best part of three months working morning to evening.

I used to work in an internet cafe and had people come in with floppys that had the only copy of their thesis. One guy came in with a floppy "I spilled a pint of Guinness on it". I managed to rescue most of them.

But because of that I backed mine up on dropbox, google drive, the college drive and emailed it to myself every evening after I finished. I wasn't taking any fcuking chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

I see the mental health brigade are out in force. Not all mentally ill people get behind the wheel of a vehicle and go on a rampage. There’s millions of mentally ill people on this planet and it’s time to stop tarring them all with the one brush. Any mentally ill people I’ve met are lovely people and would condemn this behaviour...

He wouldn't be the first to do so in Dublin anyway. I remember a man with issues drove through the front arch doors at Trinity College

Trasna1 wrote: »
    He wouldn't be the first to do so in Dublin anyway. I remember a man with issues drove through the front arch doors at Trinity College

A guy rammed into the foyer of the paypal building years ago because he'd lost money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Grayson wrote: »
    Quite often you hear people complain about how students are snowflakes, the thing is that they can face a lot more pressure than students did 20 years ago. Thankfully students generally have very good access to mental health resources but they don't always avail of them. For some people they don't realise there's a problem until it's too late. Especially for guys. Guys are taught to suck it up and deal with it.

We do need more awareness of mental health issues and kids need to be taught when to ask for help.

He was a final year Law Student so probably at least twenty three years of age, a grown adult man with his kid days long behind him.

I agree he should be throroughly investigated, this could have been a potential terrorist incident, he choose to drive that car where there would have been lots of pedestrians.

The Rich students hanging out in the Starbucks near Stephens Green are probably from the Royal College of Surgeons. Dont they pay hundreds and thousands of euros or whatever currency they have to study in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

tretorn wrote: »
    He was a final year Law Student so probably at least twenty three years of age, a grown adult man with his kid days long behind him.

I agree he should be throroughly investigated, this could have been a potential terrorist incident, he choose to drive that car where there would have been lots of pedestrians.

The Rich students hanging out in the Starbucks near Stephens Green are probably from the Royal College of Surgeons. Dont they pay hundreds and thousands of euros or whatever currency they have to study in Ireland.

Article says he was 20.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Skimping on mental health services is a false economy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Skimping on mental health services is a false economy.

Skimping on anti-terror Gardai and throwing the borders wide open is a far bigger false economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Doltanian wrote: »
    Skimping on anti-terror Gardai and throwing the borders wide open is a far bigger false economy.
    Wrong thread? It has zero to do with this incident afaik.

there wasn't a terrorist incident though and he didn't target pedestrians. So saying it's a potential terrorist incident could be applied to just about anything.

Not sure what your point is. We shouldn't provide mental health services in colleges and teach students when to reach out for help?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

EdEd wrote: »
    Funny thing is you're the first person to mention his religion. What does that say about you?

Quite right. At the time, nobody had mentioned his religion. They'd just implied it heavily from literally the OP, and everyone then danced around nudging each other and winking theatrically, waiting for one of the leftists to say something so they could all act indignant.

A RACIST? MOI? YOU WOUND ME, SIR.

• Advertisement

Quite right. At the time, nobody had mentioned his religion. They'd just implied it heavily from literally the OP, and everyone then danced around nudging each other and winking theatrically, waiting for one of the leftists to say something so they could all act indignant.

I implied nothing. I just quoted the article.

I implied nothing. I just quoted the article.

Grand so, the Irish times implied it and you communicated their implication, indicating you yourself considered it a relevant part of the story. Wink wink.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

56844111.jpg

Grand so, the Irish times implied it and you communicated their implication, indicating you yourself considered it a relevant part of the story. Wink wink.

Take it up with the the Irish times so.

Take it up with the the Irish times so.

I'll write them a letter.

You personally feel the matter of his heritage is irrelevant then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Any source for this?

A quick google throws this up on the first page.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/dubliners-spend-55-of-take-home-pay-on-rent-1.3267093

That's the average dubliner and it's 55% for them. I'm in work and can't spend too much time looking but it's higher for younger people because they have less wages.

I honestly don't even know how a student is meant to pay rent. The grant would be hard pressed to cover it.
    "As much as 55%", is not 60%. It means that, at the absolute max, the rent for a particular apartment is 55% of the average take home pay for a Dub. It doesn't mean that the average Dub is paying 55% of their take home pay on rent.

I'd also not that, going by that article, they're taking the total rent for an apartment and calculating that as a percentage of take home pay, and not attempting to take into account multi occupancy apartments where the rent is shared amongst multiple people.

Summary: Lies, damned lies and statistics.

I'll write them a letter.

You personally feel the matter of his heritage is irrelevant then?

Neither you nor I know if it is relevant or not.

That remains to be seen. I’ll let the guards to do their investigation and won’t be pre empting anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

BMW drivers are always aggressive and rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭listermint

BMWs aren't expensive?
    Indeed..one of the most erudite statements ever posted on Boards.ie

You may have a penchant for the language, but you clearly have not got a clue about cars.

you see bmw you think oooo money...

They are one of the most common cars on our roads.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars/BMW/?year_from=98&year_to=04

look you can get a clean one for about 1000 Euro....

Neither you nor I know if it is relevant or not.

That remains to be seen. I’ll let the guards to do their investigation and won’t be pre empting anything.

Sure. However my point was that "Muslim" was implied in the OP. If you and the Irish Times felt that "middle eastern" might be relevant for some other reason, then that's ok, my mistake.

What was the other reason?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I don’t believe this to be terrorist related at all but this is more about other threads than this particular incident.

It’s mad the way people lose their sh*t if someone mentions Islam in a thread about a man going on a “rampage” with a vehicle. Of course it’s going to come up. Especially if it’s reported he was of Middle Eastern origin. It’s a well known method of Islamic terrorism at this stage.

When a bomb went off in London in the 80s. You’re going to think Irish terrorists straight away. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn’t. And if it wasn’t... big f*cking deal, it’s still something you would think and for good reason.

“Let’s wait until we have more info” Except if you want to blame mental health or any other factor other than religious fundamentalism. Fire away, speculate to your hearts content.

I understand that there are people who just want to come on and bash Islam and Muslims but it should still be up for adult discussion.

I don’t believe this to be terrorist related at all but this is more about other threads than this particular incident.

It’s mad the way people lose their sh*t if someone mentions Islam in a thread about a man going on a “rampage” with a vehicle. Of course it’s going to come up. Especially if it’s reported he was of Middle Eastern origin. It’s a well known method of Islamic terrorism at this stage.

When a bomb went off in London in the 80s. You’re going to think Irish terrorists straight away. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn’t. And if it wasn’t... big f*cking deal, it’s still something you would think and for good reason.

“Let’s wait until we have more info” Except if you want to blame mental health or any other factor other than religious fundamentalism. Fire away, speculate to your hearts content.

I understand that there are people who just want to come on and bash Islam and Muslims but it should still be up for adult discussion.

Except there's no reason to think this was a terrorist incident. This thread was created after we knew a lot of the facts. And at this point even more is known. The reason it's turned to terrorism is because the guy happens to be middle eastern. We don't even know his religion. There's someone trying to tie this to what happened in Dundalk and to all muslims in general. Even though there's no link at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

Except there's no reason to think this was a terrorist incident. This thread was created after we knew a lot of the facts. And at this point even more is known. The reason it's turned to terrorism is because the guy happens to be middle eastern. We don't even know his religion. There's someone trying to tie this to what happened in Dundalk and to all muslims in general. Even though there's no link at all.

There was a Koran in the car.

Brae100 wrote: »

North or South Korean?

Sure. However my point was that "Muslim" was implied in the OP. If you and the Irish Times felt that "middle eastern" might be relevant for some other reason, then that's ok, my mistake.

I cannot and will not be held responsible for whatever goes on in your head when you read one thing and imply another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭irishproduce

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Except for media gratification so that sensationalist and hysterical headlines can be created, the nationality if of no consequence - this guy suffered a mental breakdown, he went about it in a violent driving manner and it caused a crash.

Gardai were already on the case, but it could have been worse.

Mental illness affects many people - some will do things that will affect and hurt others, some will commit suicide. And they come from all sorts of backgrounds, and such background should not be used for sensationalist purposes.

Sort of reminds me of living in london in the 80's - any Irishman involved in anything and it was stated a "check was done for IRA connections" - effectively it was assumed you were involved with the IRA until it was proven otherwise.

Well if the Guards were working on the theory that there may be a terrorist attack a foot and working on the Nationality of the person. Ah fúck it, I actually know it is a waste of time explaining to you any further. You'll pretend a person's nationality has nothing to do with likelihood of committing atrocities. Forget it actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

gozunda wrote: »
    Nort or South Korean?

north-korea-is-best-korea.jpg

Does there need to be a 'reason?

The OP quoted an Irish Times article that detailed the individual was Middle Eastern. I do not believe that specifically 'implied the person is a 'muslim" one way or the other

Just as an news headline article detailed that 'American' tourists injured in a car accident. That headline did not specify whether they were North or South American. Fortunately the body of the article did. The point is though that news stories frequently detail the geographic origin of those reported on. e.g..

[URL]ttps://www.joe.ie/news/american-tourist-collision-cork-623498[/url]

The term 'middle eastern' is well used and afaik does not specifically imply 'Muslim'
    The Middle East is a transcontinental region centered on Western Asia, Turkey (both Asian and European), and Egypt (which is mostly in North Africa). The corresponding adjective is Middle Eastern and the derived noun is Middle Easterner. The term has come into wider usage as a replacement of the term Near East (as opposed to the Far East) beginning in the early 20th century.

*Please excuse my use of wiki as I really couldn't be arsed otherwise .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

BMW ?

449213.jpg

• Advertisement

Brae100 wrote: »

Point taken. I knew that as well for for some reason didn't make the connection. To be fair I own a Koran and I'm not muslim but it's a pretty strong indicator.

Advertisement