Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€15 - 20GB + Unlimited any network calls and texts + free roaming - Lycamobile

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

Has anyone noticed a drop in coverage with calls lately? Can't understand a word people do be saying, have to hang up and phone back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭randombar

stevek93 wrote: »
    Why abuse it, this deal won't be around for much longer if people start hammering lyca mobile network by the likes of this.

Not sure how it is abuse, I'm just using the data aspect of their service?

GaryCocs wrote: »

You are tethering and want to hammer the network by streaming "shows" which I presume are in HD...

stevek93 wrote: »
    You are tethering and want to hammer the network by streaming "shows" which I presume are in HD...

How nice of you to presume :D

If I can't tether I'll just use a large phone to do the same thing so not really sure what the difference would be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

How nice of you to presume :D

If I can't tether I'll just use a large phone to do the same thing so not really sure what the difference would be?
    5. Acceptable Use Policy
    You agree not to use the SIM Card or the Services and not to permit another person to use your SIM Card or the Services:

in or connected to any other device including modems, dongles and tablet devices, or any other way to connect to a personal computer, which includes using your GSM mobile telephone as a WiFi hotspot in order to connect to multiple devises, and any other form of tethering activity,
    Don't argue with people here about this as it's clearly against their TOS. Take your argument up with Lycamobile themselves.

Don't argue with people here about this as it's clearly against their TOS. Take your argument up with Lycamobile themselves.

Not arguing about their TOS, arguing about the comment about abusing it. I'll be using the same amount of data in the same way whatever the device is, no "abuse".

Not arguing about their TOS, arguing about the comment about abusing it. I'll be using the same amount of data in the same way whatever the device is, no "abuse".

No you can't read below,

You agree not to use the SIM Card or the Services and not to permit another person to use your SIM Card or the Services:
    • in or connected to any other device including modems, dongles and tablet devices, or any other way to connect to a personal computer, which includes using your GSM mobile telephone as a WiFi hotspot in order to connect to multiple devises, and any other form of tethering activity.

Right, don't like threads going off topic.

I won't abuse it I promise.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Mobile services simply aren't designed or capable of doing lots of high data services like video streaming. The odd video here or there is fine, but if you are regularly watching streaming TV shows etc. then you should really be using a proper wired broadband service which is actually designed for it.

If everyone goes around doing lots of video streaming on mobile services, the services will quickly collapse and it will be ruin them for the normal light users as it is a shared resource.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    Mobile services simply aren't designed or capable of doing lots of high data services like video streaming. The odd video here or there is fine, but if you are regularly watching streaming TV shows etc. then you should really be using a proper wired broadband service which is actually designed for it.

If everyone goes around doing lots of video streaming on mobile services, the services will quickly collapse and it will be ruin them for the normal light users as it is a shared resource.

I really hate when someone gatecrashes the party :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Fair enough on the video streaming, but tethering is a pretty important mobile service to have included when you work on the go and have a laptop and no wifi. It may only be to send a few emails and browse a few sites etc, so the thought of not being able to do it is pretty restrictive, especially considering how easily phones can become a wifi hotspot now too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

cormie wrote: »
    Fair enough on the video streaming, but tethering is a pretty important mobile service to have included when you work on the go and have a laptop and no wifi. It may only be to send a few emails and browse a few sites etc, so the thought of not being able to do it is pretty restrictive, especially considering how easily phones can become a wifi hotspot now too.

I agree with you on the concept of tethering in general and do so myself from time to time.

However I also understand why they restrict it. Many operating systems expect that they have unlimited data available and are often silently doing massive downloads in the background. You might think you only checking some emails on your laptop, but in the background it is silently downloading a massive, multi gig windows update.

It is a pity Apple and Microsoft don't develop a tethered mode where they restrict background services when you are connected via tethering * I think that would help greatly and I think more mobile companies would be inclined to allow tethering if such a service was in place.

* BTW it is possible to set something like this yourself via firewalls, but it is a bit of a pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

FrostyJim wrote: »
    What speeds do people get in Dublin on lyca?

twF1wzkdztsVggw3A

See attached

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Zynks wrote: »
    twF1wzkdztsVggw3A

See attached

I'm in Kilmainham. Just did a spped test about 3.5mb down and 1.5mb up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

Tethering works fine for me (rooted), but the lack of 4G makes it fairly useless for anything other than just basic browsing/PokémonGo:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

NikoTopps wrote: »
    Tethering works fine for me (rooted), but the lack of 4G makes it fairly useless for anything other than just basic browsing/PokémonGo:pac:

I dunno about that, I find that FB, Twitter, Instagram and general browsing works perfectly well on 3G and Spotify works well even on Edge. Yes 4G is very good, but for the prices that lyca and Tesco charge, it's very good value even if it is only 3G

I've switched my wife over from 48months to lyca last month as the 1gb of data wasn't enough for her and her usage didn't warrant moving her to the €20 plan with 48, so the €15 play with lyca is working out very good so far.

With the new 10gb of data for €5 top ups now, I'm moving my two young lads over to lyca from the €10 48 months deal. They won't know themselves with all the extra data, and I'll be saving a tenner a month :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I've switched my wife over from 48months to lyca last month as the 1gb of data wasn't enough for her and her usage didn't warrant moving her to the €20 plan with 48, so the €15 play with lyca is working out very good so far.

With the new 10gb of data for €5 top ups now, I'm moving my two young lads over to lyca from the €10 48 months deal. They won't know themselves with all the extra data, and I'll be saving a tenner a month :)

So is it €15 initial setup and then €5 pm thereafter? That sounds like a great deal!

degsie wrote: »
    So is it €15 initial setup and then €5 pm thereafter? That sounds like a great deal!

No, the €15 deal is one of the bundles, unlimited calls and texts and something like 20gb of data, I think it might actually be 30gb now thou. And the €5 top up is just pay as you go, I'll top them up by €5 and they get 10gb data for that and then spend the €5 on calls, and use viber and whatapp for messages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

No, the €15 deal is one of the bundles, unlimited calls and texts and something like 20gb of data, I think it might actually be 30gb now thou. And the €5 top up is just pay as you go, I'll top them up by €5 and they get 10gb data for that and then spend the €5 on calls, and use viber and whatapp for messages.

Maybe I'm slow :( but €5 spend on data plus €5 on calls makes it the same as cheapest 48 option? Plus you have no sms but more data?

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    Maybe I'm slow :( but €5 spend on data plus €5 on calls makes it the same as cheapest 48 option? Plus you have no sms but more data?

No, the data is given to you for topping up by €5, you get to keep the credit, at the moment it's only a special offer, but like most of their offers, they tend to keep extending them, so we'll just have to wait and see.

http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/bonus-data-offer

And don't forget, when you topup, you also get free calls to other lyca mobile numbers for the month. So your lads can call one another and your wife and yourself without using any of their credit, very handy for a family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So does this €15 bundle include mobile calls within Ireland?

But no 4G...

ID have a €15 bundle with 4G but not unlimited calls.

Might just jump on this for 6 months @ €14.50 pm first: https://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/shop/phones-plans/id-simonly

HALF PRICE SIM ONLY
    • 5,000 minutes
    • 5,000 texts
    • 20GB data (4G too)
    • 30-day contract
    • Was €29.00
    • NOW ONLY €14.50

can you cancel that after the 6 months?

lawred2 wrote: »
    So does this €15 bundle include mobile calls within Ireland?

But no 4G...

Yes and Yes
    lawred2 wrote: »
    ID have a €15 bundle with 4G but not unlimited calls.

But then ID is absolutely terrible service with loads of problems. No one recommends them, just go read the thread about it over on the mobile forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maurice1

And don't forget, when you topup, you also get free calls to other lyca mobile numbers for the month. So your lads can call one another and your wife and yourself without using any of their credit, very handy for a family.

and with a €5 topup you also get free 28 minutes to call any RoI Landline / mobile, without buying any bundle, so you only pay for SMS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

I dunno about that, I find that FB, Twitter, Instagram and general browsing works perfectly well on 3G and Spotify works well even on Edge. Yes 4G is very good, but for the prices that lyca and Tesco charge, it's very good value even if it is only 3G

It just feels a bit slow to me but I suppose I was used to getting 60odd down and 30odd up on 3 so I'm a bit spoilt really.

I shouldn't complain, it's a fantastic offer.

NikoTopps wrote: »
    It just feels a bit slow to me but I suppose I was used to getting 60odd down and 30odd up on 3 so I'm a bit spoilt really.

But other then running benchmarks, there isn't actually any benefit of 60/30, once you get above 1 or 2Mb/s for anything text or picture based (facebook, twitter, instragram, etc.).

A <.5MB html page (including images, etc.) simply can't possibly download any faster on a 60Mb/s then a 5Mb/s connection.

HD video streaming tops out at around 8Mb/s

So there is no point of anything above 10Mb/s unless you are tethering and doing large file downloads, which mobile data really isn't suited to.

So as such 4G really isn't that big of a jump over a good quality 3G connection. Unfortunately people have just bought into the marketing. High speeds are just marketing that people rarely ever use.

Think of it like buying a Ferrari with a 200MPH+ top speed and then never driving it on anything but a public road with a 60MPH speed limit.

Having said that, there are important advantages to 4G for the mobile networks. It allows them to use frequencies that weren't available to 3G and it allows them to combine them, thus allowing them to spread their users over a greater amount of available bandwidth and thus reducing congestion.

It also allows them to use lower frequency bands then 3G typically supported, thus allowing them to cover wider areas around cell sites. An important feature for rural coverage. It also allows them to potentially close down cell sites, thus saving money.

Mobile companies like to try and convince people that 4G is a premium service, that they can charge a premium price for as it will give you extra speed. In reality most people won't benefit from the extra speed and the networks are actually desperate for people to move over to 4G as it allows them to greatly reduce costs and thus make more money!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maurice1

Thanks BK - interesting.

Being on Lyca would I be correct in thinking that Whatsapp /Skype / Lycachat calling feature would work better on 4G not only due to speed but lower latency also?

maurice1 wrote: »
    Being on Lyca would I be correct in thinking that Whatsapp /Skype / Lycachat calling feature would work better on 4G not only due to speed but lower latency also?

Yes, one benefit of 4G is lower latency in general then 3G and as such VoIP apps can benefit from the reduced latency. However most people would probably barely notice a difference, if at all. After all we are talking about tens of milliseconds difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Any of ye in the Midlands (Longford/Westmeath) who are on this deal?
    What's the data speeds like ?

yabadabado wrote: »
    Any of ye in the Midlands (Longford/Westmeath) who are on this deal?
    What's the data speeds like ?

Best to try for yourself. You can order a SIM for free, just throw €5 on it and you get 10GB data for the month. Try it out and play around with it at the places you normally are (work, school, etc.). If it works out, then you can transfer your number over and buy a bundle.

What is there to lose? Worst case scenario, the price of one pint!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I have a sim so just top up online with a fiver and I will get calls/data?
    No need to get a bundle ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

Best to try for yourself. You can order a SIM for free, just throw €5 on it and you get 10GB data for the month. Try it out and play around with it at the places you normally are (work, school, etc.). If it works out, then you can transfer your number over and buy a bundle.

What is there to lose? Worst case scenario, the price of one pint!

Even better if you happen to have a dual-SIM phone. You could just set the Lycamobile one for data and use your primary for calls & texts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Hi all.Im out of contract with Vodafone and thinking to switch either to Tesco or Lyca.I have both sim for tests.

Im checking Lyca website now and cant find what im looking for.Let say I topped up by 15 € and bought 15 € bundle. I presume 15 € is taken straight away and what if my account is 0€ after 30 days and bundle wont auto renew.I just top up again and choose bundle or I top up and Lyca the takes credit straight away for bundle I have opted up before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

Thanks.That was quick ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Thanks.That was quick ;)

Or you can forget about topping up and just buy a bundle and set it to auto-renew. You won't get the extra 10gb bonus for topping up though if you do it this way.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Or you can forget about topping up and just buy a bundle and set it to auto-renew. You won't get the extra 10gb bonus for topping up though if you do it this way.

Do I have to give them my credit card details for auto renew or just top up before 30th day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Do I have to give them my credit card details for auto renew or just top up before 30th day?

For the auto-renew to work yes you need to give them your debit card details.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

Not necessary to give them debit or credit card details, you can set the bundle itself to auto renew and as long as you top up by the required amount of your bundle before your auto-renew date then it will be taken from your credit. I find this is the best way of doing it as you then get the extra credit for topping up online also. This is the way I've been doing it with my wife's plan for the last two months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mossy464

Trying to transfer my number from meteor to Lyca using the online form but keeps telling me iccid is invalid. Checked it multiple times but no joy anyone have this issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

I have almost given up trying to port my Vodafone number to Lyca.
    I have given them my all the details but because I have a mobile broadband sim on the same Vodafone bill, they deem it a "multi sub". and then ask for Batch Id etc. etc
    When I ask Vodafone for "Batch Id" they don't seem to have any idea what I'm talking about, and tell me that all I need is my account number and phone number to port. Anyone have this issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 purpose3979

Is Tethering not allowed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Is Tethering not allowed?

No.

• Advertisement

Your online top-up is successful, ¥-12.00 has been added to your balance. Thanks for using Lycamobile

This doesn't seem anyway dodgy. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mossy464

mossy464 wrote: »
    Trying to transfer my number from meteor to Lyca using the online form but keeps telling me iccid is invalid. Checked it multiple times but no joy anyone have this issue?

Managed to get the port in request submitted. Went through fine when entering from a desktop.

How long should it take for my number to be ported?

Edit: Ported now. Bought the 15 euro bundle on the website so just waiting for that to come through now.

Yes and Yes

But then ID is absolutely terrible service with loads of problems. No one recommends them, just go read the thread about it over on the mobile forum.

so lycamobile would generally be well recommended?

specifically for Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

"You should make sure however, that your device is connected to the local Lycamobile network(Vodafone Portugal) rather than a competitor.
    We will then send you a text message to confirm your automatic service activation.
    Remember to make sure that (1) your device is connected to the local Lycamobile network and (2) that you have received a text message confirming your automatic service activation.
    You will need to buy a relevant data add-on in order to use your mobile data."

I'm going to Lisbon in Portugal tomorrow. Just wondering how I will go about getting Data. Is it possible to get a data package for Portugal in advance? I have the 15 euro Ireland package already.

If you do the €15 Ireland plus plan - is that €15 available for spend or is it consumed paying for the bundle?

• Advertisement
Advertisement