Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€15 - 20GB + Unlimited any network calls and texts + free roaming - Lycamobile

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

stevek93 wrote: »
    I already bought credit, it was only giving me the option buy it.

To buy this bundle from your credit do:

Dial *139* 2015# and follow the instructions on the screen

Similar codes exist for each bundle, just click on "+ More" under each bundle for more information.

For future reference, if you log into the website, there is a "Buy Bundle" button right there on the first page when you log in. Click on that and you can they directly buy a bundle without first buying credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭irishchris

I'm on the Ireland plus plan. I'm heading to UK in fortnight.. Will the data from this plan work in uk? Do I have to change apn settings? Has anyone used their lyca sim in UK here?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

irishchris wrote: »
    I'm on the Ireland plus plan. I'm heading to UK in fortnight.. Will the data from this plan work in uk? Do I have to change apn settings? Has anyone used their lyca sim in UK here?

I have, well to Northern Ireland.

You will get free phone calls and texts while in the UK, but not data, read up on it here:

http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/roaming-sim-card

For data, they have an add on of 1GB for €12 for the UK, see here on the second page:

http://www.lycamobile.ie/sysimages/editorfiles/Home_April_2015_IE1.pdf

BTW one unusual thing, when in the UK, Lyca well give you a UK number in addition to your Irish number. People can still call and text you on your Irish number as usual, but any calls or texts you make in the UK will look like they are coming from this UK number, which might confuse people you are calling. A good idea to include your name on any texts you send.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

bk wrote: »
    To buy this bundle from your credit do:

Dial *139* 2015# and follow the instructions on the screen

Similar codes exist for each bundle, just click on "+ More" under each bundle for more information.

For future reference, if you log into the website, there is a "Buy Bundle" button right there on the first page when you log in. Click on that and you can they directly buy a bundle without first buying credit.

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

If you top up by 5 euro and don't buy any bundle, will you get the free 5GB data and still have the full 5 euro credit left after the 30 days (assuming you only use data, ie no text or calls)?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ten Pin wrote: »
    If you top up by 5 euro and don't buy any bundle, will you get the free 5GB data and still have the full 5 euro credit left after the 30 days (assuming you only use data, ie no text or calls)?
    See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100390984&postcount=536

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

Here's what I did, I'm using the free 5GB as a cheap sim for PokémonGO.

1) Go to the 48 website and order a free sim.
    2) Once this arrives activate it by registering on the 48 site then go to the Lyca site and order a free sim.
    3) Once this arrives go to the port part of their site and input your details, I set it to port over at half 5 and by 25 to it was done.
    4) Top up online via debit card by €5 to activate the free 5GB of data, you then get €1 free bonus credit.
    5)The next day you'll get €2 porting credit, and for the next 5 months you'll get €2 extra to a total of €10.

Data expires 31st August so you spend €5, get 5GB and €8 credit which next month you can use to buy the €4.99 5GB add on and have €3 to spend on calls/texts :)

TL;DR port a number to Lyca and get €8 credit.

snubbleste wrote: »
    I did not buy a bundle the second month.
    Instead I topped up by 5

I take it the bundle doesn't auto renew?

So will this work (assume Lyca continue the free 5GB with each top up)?

Month 1: Top up by 5, get 5GB free data
    Month 2: Buy 5GB data for 4.99 of the 5 from month 1.

Month 3: Repeat Month 1
    Month 4: Repeat Month 2

And so on, giving you 5GB per month for an average of 2.50 per month (30 days).

Month 1: Top up by 5, get 5GB free data

Unfortunately not, the free data offer expires on 31st August. Though, as far as I'm aware it was originally set to expire 30th June and they extended it until August so maybe they'll do it again given its popularity.

Month 1: Top up by €5, get 5GB free data
    Yeah that would work. Lyca says data expire at end of month but in reality it is a month from the top-up date. Press *147# to check. You can always top-up by €5 within the month to start the 5gb again.

• Advertisement

NikoTopps wrote: »
    Unfortunately not, the free data offer expires on 31st August. Though, as far as I'm aware it was originally set to expire 30th June and they extended it until August so maybe they'll do it again given its popularity.

They bump the expire date every month for the last few months from what I've seen. That isn't to say that it won't go away eventually, but good for the moment.
    Yeah that would work. Lyca says data expire at end of month but in reality it is a month from the top-up date. Press *147# to check. You can always top-up by €5 within the month to start the 5gb again.

Careful, this 5GB deal is for a calendar month only. So it starts on the 1st and ends on the 31st. If for instance you top up on the 15th, the data will still expire on the 31st, NOT 30 days later. Best to try and line up the top up with the 1st of every month.

Careful, this 5GB deal is for a calendar month only. So it starts on the 1st and ends on the 31st. If for instance you top up on the 15th, the data will still expire on the 31st, NOT 30 days later. Best to try and line up the top up with the 1st of every month.
    Mine isn't. I topped up on 16/07 by €5. If I press *147#, it states I have 2.1gb free allowance left until 15/08.

They bump the expire date every month for the last few months from what I've seen. That isn't to say that it won't go away eventually, but good for the moment.

I certainly hope they continue to do so, in my own case I was paying €4.99 per 500MB with 3!

Mine isn't. I topped up on 16/07 by €5. If I press *147#, it states I have 2.1gb free allowance left until 15/08.

Cool, I stand corrected. Let us know if that continues to be true beyond the 1st.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I'm currently in the UK and my wife is roaming using a lyca SIM card with the €15 plan on it, just a heads up that it's only the calls that are covered thou, CS told me that texts are charged at 15c. Also, be sure to switch of data if you have not bought the roaming bundle, because if you have an credit balance it will be taken when accessing data on the lyca mobile UK network. We purchased the 1gb addon and it lasted 4/5 days and then we got an automated message saying the data bundle had been used and we could no longer access data, however the €12 credit balance she had on her acc was wiped out within a day because the phone was apparently still using data. We are in an area with pretty dire signal so it wasn't obvious to my wife that she was getting data.

Oh and since Saturday, my wife hasn't been able to send a text with her phone despite me topping it up with another €5 and this time making sure here data is switched off :)

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I'm currently in the UK and my wife is roaming using a lyca SIM card with the €15 plan on it, just a heads up that it's only the calls that are covered thou, CS told me that texts are charged at 15c. Also, be sure to switch of data if you have not bought the roaming bundle, because if you have an credit balance it will be taken when accessing data on the lyca mobile UK network. We purchased the 1gb addon and it lasted 4/5 days and then we got an automated message saying the data bundle had been used and we could no longer access data, however the €12 credit balance she had on her acc was wiped out within a day because the phone was apparently still using data. We are in an area with pretty dire signal so it wasn't obvious to my wife that she was getting data.

According to the Lyca website, it definitely includes sms, the T&Cs say:
    In roaming countries, customer can use to a maximum of 1000 minutes, 1000 texts and 1000 Lycamobile to Lycamobile minutes (if included in the bundle) from an unlimited bundle or from a bundle with more than 1000 minutes/SMS.

So I would get back onto their support.

As for it using up credit quickly once you run out of data, yup, that is completely normal for most pay as you go from most mobile companies. It is just how it works. At least it can only use what you have on it and you don't end up with a €900 bill from Vodafone after returning from the US like I once did! :eek:

1GB is quiet a bit of data, she most using it for watching videos, uploading photos or doing a lot of facebook and instragram to use up 1GB that quickly.

When I'm roaming, I try to use it just for whatsapp/imessage and google maps, I would only use facebook/instagram/youtube etc. when on wifi.

Tip: On iPhone for each app you can decide if it can use roaming data or not, very handy for limiting roaming data usage.

There are also apps you can get that monitor your data usage and notify you when you are coming close to running it.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

According to the Lyca website, it definitely includes sms, the T&Cs say:

So I would get back onto their support.

As for it using up credit quickly once you run out of data, yup, that is completely normal for most pay as you go from most mobile companies. It is just how it works. At least it can only use what you have on it and you don't end up with a €900 bill from Vodafone after returning from the US like I once did! :eek:

1GB is quiet a bit of data, she most using it for watching videos, uploading photos or doing a lot of facebook and instragram to use up 1GB that quickly.

When I'm roaming, I try to use it just for whatsapp/imessage and google maps, I would only use facebook/instagram/youtube etc. when on wifi.

Tip: On iPhone for each app you can decide if it can use roaming data or not, very handy for limiting roaming data usage.

There are also apps you can get that monitor your data usage and notify you when you are coming close to running it.

I certainly will get back on to them over the texts, thanks, regarding data usage thou, yeah I get that that's the norm with other providers alright, but again CS told me prior to us traveling over to UK that unless a data addon was purchased in advance, then she would not be able to access data at all, I simply took that on the face of it that for her to be able to use data, she'd have to activate the addon. She was previously with 48months and data doesn't work with them at all regardless of credit or not, while roaming.

And yeah, I agree that 1gb is a good bit of data but only when you have wifi aswell, generally speaking, 1gb lasts very little when solely dependent on it. Oh and her usage is apparently down to tons of snapchat stories been downloaded. She follows all these beauty and fashion people :)

Aquos76 wrote: »
    And yeah, I agree that 1gb is a good bit of data but only when you have wifi aswell, generally speaking, 1gb lasts very little when solely dependent on it. Oh and her usage is apparently down to tons of snapchat stories been downloaded. She follows all these beauty and fashion people :)

I've travelled for weeks on just 1GB of data and no wifi, it is fine! You just have to limit almost all apps access to roaming data other then essential apps. I just leave whatsapp, imessage, google maps and safari have access, everything else off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Have to say their customer service is PITA

I've tried 3 times waiting 15+ mins to request a replacement SIM...Think I'll be heading back to TM...

W.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,576 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Ported back to TM today, another friend on vodafone getting multiple texts and splitting texts. Very annoying and not worth it. Hopefully TM have copped on, have spare sim for hols just in case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

So Tesco, Lyca and ID all seem to have good deals @ €15 for pretty much unlimited everything? They are all on the same network, right?

Lyca and ID don't seem to have great customer service, ID seemingly very poor coverage, maybe more-so than the others even though they are on the same network? Lyca strange roaming set up, tesco cutting customers off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,104 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they should all have the same coverage as they're all using 3's network. However I'm with 3 themselves and their data service is pants, so I'd be reluctant to switch to one of the MVNOs who may well be even worse. I think if you want decent data you have to go with Vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'm with eir myself on their business package which suits me best, but trying to advise friends/family about what might suit them. Data with eir seems fine, never had any issues.

cormie wrote: »
    So Tesco, Lyca and ID...are all on the same network, right?

Not exactly.

Tesco and Lyca are on O2 network (owned and operated by Three but separate masts etc and currenlty no 4G).

ID are on Three network.

ID coverage is the same as Three.

Lyca coverage is the same as Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

cormie wrote: »
    So Tesco, Lyca and ID all seem to have good deals @ €15 for pretty much unlimited everything? They are all on the same network, right?

Lyca and ID don't seem to have great customer service, ID seemingly very poor coverage, maybe more-so than the others even though they are on the same network? Lyca strange roaming set up, tesco cutting customers off.

But you keep your credit with Tesco so technically have a fiver left over after buying unlimited texts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

Not exactly.

Tesco and Lyca are on O2 network (owned and operated by Three but separate masts etc and currenlty no 4G).

ID are on Three network.

ID coverage is the same as Three.

Lyca coverage is the same as Tesco.

Even stranger, the speeds of lyca and tesco are different in the west.

Visited Mayo the other day, I was getting 100-300kbps on iPhone 6, OH getting the same on android, friend getting 6mbit with tesco

I'd suggest folks get a SIM and try it out for a few days before porting to it so they know best for their own area

breathn wrote: »
    Even stranger, the speeds of lyca and tesco are different in the west.

Visited Mayo the other day, I was getting 100-300kbps on iPhone 6, OH getting the same on android, friend getting 6mbit with tesco

While they are renting the same capacity on the towers, they might be using their own, different backhaul and network switching which can lead to differences in performance.
    breathn wrote: »
    I'd suggest folks get a SIM and try it out for a few days before porting to it so they know best for their own area

Excellent advice, I recommend anyone thinking of switching networks to do this and make sure to try it out in all the places you might normally be (school, work, home, family and friends home, etc.).

Also it is one of the reasons I thing people are better off on pay as you go or 30 days rolling contracts rather then 12 month contracts. It makes it much easier to move if the network changes in your area.

Wireless technology is very highly variable. All sorts of things can have an impact on it. Weather, interference, etc. That is why is can be difficult to give general advice about mobile networks and operators. Best to leave yourself the greatest amount of flexibility to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

You could also download the maps for a whole city or region before you travel and reduce your data needs. On my last two trips I got all of London and a full region of Brittany on a single 300 MB download before leaving. Details for Android here: https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?hl=en

Zynks wrote: »
    You could also download the maps for a whole city or region before you travel and reduce your data needs. On my last two trips I got all of London and a full region of Brittany on a single 300 MB download before leaving. Details for Android here: https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?hl=en

Yup another very good tip. On iPhone type 'OK Maps' into google maps in order to download an area for offline maps.

There are also a few other maps like Here Maps and Maps.Me that allow you to download whole countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,104 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the problem with Google offline maps is that walking and cycling directions aren't available, just driving (which is daft, as you're much more likely to be using it whilst walking than driving). Searching for locations like businesses and restaurants doesn't really work offline either.

loyatemu wrote: »
    the problem with Google offline maps is that walking and cycling directions aren't available, just driving (which is daft, as you're much more likely to be using it whilst walking than driving). Searching for locations like businesses and restaurants doesn't really work offline either.

Absolutely, but it is still a good idea to download first from wifi. You can still access google maps with your roaming data for walking and cycling directions, reviews, public transport schedules, etc. but at least it doesn't have to download the map vectors over roaming data if you had pre-downloaded them first. It is the map vectors that take up by far the most data. cycling directions, etc. use very little data by comparison.

I agree that they should absolutely include the walking and cycling directions offline, it shows how US centric Google Maps is (And Apple Maps even more so). Most Americans rarely ever walk or cycle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

In Android, there's an 'Offline Areas' button in the Google Maps sidebar. iOS instructions are above.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maurice1

Androids, "Navigator" and "Here maps" (Formally Nokia Maps) both allow you to download full maps of the country your visiting over wifi before you travel.
    I think "Here Maps" may be on Apple too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭DopeTech

maurice1 wrote: »
    Androids, "Navigator" and "Here maps" (Formally Nokia Maps) both allow you to download full maps of the country your visiting over wifi before you travel.
    I think "Here Maps" may be on Apple too.
    You can make the offline areas as big as you want on Google maps as well.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi All,

Sorry if this has come up before, can I buy a mifi dongle and throw this sim into it? Looking for something for my Dad to stream his shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Thanks to whoever mentioned Hector on Facebook,my son had a problem making calls and texts,phoned their c/s and that was rubbish (as expected) but Hector sorted it within an hour.

Has anyone asked him when they are getting 4g? In April they said it was coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maurice1

How do I check how many National Minutes (Landline + Mobile ) are left from:

http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/extra-credit-and-national-minutes-with-every-top-up

Top - up Extra Credit FREE National Minutes (Landline + Mobile )
    €5 €1.00 25
    €10 €2.00 60

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Joey Jo-Jo Junior

Very happy with this. I have the SIM working away on the second SIM slot for just data. I might switch altogether once I use up my TM credit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Data allowance is now 30GB with this plan.

Also
    top-up by less than €15 you will get 5gb 10gb free data http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/bonus-data-offer

These offers really put the rest to shame, pity they can't get 4g launched though.

So now €5 gets 10GB free data? Wow, I'm so happy I joined them!

Although I really hope they get 4G soon, they can be very slow at times though for the most part it's fine.

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hi All,

Sorry if this has come up before, can I buy a mifi dongle and throw this sim into it? Looking for something for my Dad to stream his shows.

I don't think it'd work as they have a block on tethering on mobile (there's ways to get around it via root though) so I'd assume it'd be the same for a dongle.

New unbeatable Offer! IRELAND PLUS has now 30GB of Data, Unlimited National Calls &Texts for only 15€/month! To buy dial *139*2015#. T&C on www.lycamobile.ie

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hi All,

Why abuse it, this deal won't be around for much longer if people start hammering lyca mobile network by the likes of this.

What speeds do people get in Dublin on lyca?

FrostyJim wrote: »
    What speeds do people get in Dublin on lyca?

Done speed test there, getting 8.72 down and 2.77 up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement
Advertisement