Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyrone GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Fairly happy with that draw. Meath aren't like the Meath team of old. Plus home advantage again, can't complain.

McHugh made a good point about our attack last night, how we lack a target man. McCurry, McAliskey and O'Neill are good, but they're all sort of similar; nippy little forwards. This is where I thought Coney would slot in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

It depends what Meath team we get. They looked fairly rampant in the first 40 minutes yesterday but absolutely terrible in the last 30. I'd be reasonably confident we could beat them, but then I'd have been reasonably confident we could have beaten any team in the qualifiers at the moment.

We do need to pick up the performance levels a few notches though if we're going to progress past round 4 or the quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mr.Goodman

I was at the game and it is safe to say I was not impressed with what i saw.The game lack any excitement.But I would expect Tyrone to beat Meath.

Mr.Goodman wrote: »
    I was at the game and it is safe to say I was not impressed with what i saw.The game lack any excitement.But I would expect Tyrone to beat Meath.

Looked a pretty small crowd on TV last night. I'll try to get up for the Meath game but it's an awful trek from south Sligo up to Omagh for a game.

I come from Co.Meath myself so it is hard to go see any games up in tyrone it was actually me first time I have ever went to Omagh for a match.The seating section was near full but there was a lot of space in the stands.

• Advertisement

Mr.Goodman wrote: »
    I come from Co.Meath myself so it is hard to go see any games up in tyrone it was actually me first time I have ever went to Omagh for a match.The seating section was near full but there was a lot of space in the stands.

Where you from originally?

Well actually I am from America but my dad is from Tyrone so I always supported them.

We'll take all the support we can get Mr Goodman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Meath are hopeless. Handy win for Tyrone.

Meath are hopeless. Handy win for Tyrone.

I think you under estimate Tyrone's ability to balls things up.

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    We'll take all the support we can get Mr Goodman.

I am glad to have supported tyrone through the years.There is always good craic with the lads in my town and it will be all the better with the game coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I think you under estimate Tyrone's ability to balls things up.

Based on yesterday you underestimate our ability to balls things up

iDave wrote: »
    Based on yesterday you underestimate our ability to balls things up

haha very true.

I think their keeper might be suspended after picking up that red card. It might work out to their advantage, because he was hopeless.

He's flipping dangerous. For all the blowing on RTE about the abuse he got on twitter, they barely mentioned the challenge which could have caused an awful serious injury. You can bet your bottom dollar if that was Cavanagh they'd have spend half an hour talking about how bad a person he is and how he should be banned for life.

Did they not see the abuse Sean got after the famous Brolly rant? Some of the stuff was awful but not a mention on RTE because they were too busy bull****ting about him doing something every other player in the country woudl have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Petey Harte playing midfield was a major surprise yesterday for me.

Although Tyrone only kicked one kick out long and there was literally no Tyrone players around to attempt to catch it!

Petey Harte playing midfield was a major surprise yesterday for me.

Although Tyrone only kicked one kick out long and there was literally no Tyrone players around to attempt to catch it!

Having seen what Sligo did to nullify the Rossies a few weeks back in midfield you could see a lot more of that. You're essentially giving up on winning any high fielded balls in the middle third by putting two small mobile players in there but you can compensate for that by using their mobility to cover ground all over.

Could we possibly throw Sean up front at some stage against a blanket defence and put someone else in the middle along with Colm?

Meath game confirmed for 3pm this Saturday in Omagh. Good that we didn't give up home advantage, thought it might have been switched to Clones at one stage.

Horrible draw for Tyrone both from a playing PoV and from an image one. If we beat them I've no doubt we'll get Donegal again at some point if we go that far and all the media attention will be on the big bad boys from Tyrone.

Tough draw, but a chance to put the Tipp boys back in their place after all the whinging they were doing after the U21 final. Should be a nice edge to the game, which suits us.

• Advertisement

I really should shoot down to it given I'm already in Sligo but it's still a 3 hour drive and I've got to go to the Connaught final on Sunday too which is a nice trek. I think I'll sit back on the couch on Saturday and watch the three games in comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

I really should shoot down to it given I'm already in Sligo but it's still a 3 hour drive and I've got to go to the Connaught final on Sunday too which is a nice trek. I think I'll sit back on the couch on Saturday and watch the three games in comfort.

Any chance you would sell the couch?

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Horrible draw for Tyrone both from a playing PoV and from an image one. If we beat them I've no doubt we'll get Donegal again at some point if we go that far and all the media attention will be on the big bad boys from Tyrone.

Glad we did the whinging ! We will be ready for you. It has fired us up! You will find Tipp play great in Ireland's second foremost GAA stadium. Safe journey! Give yourselves plenty of time to get down.........as the song says.........................."It's a Long Way to Tipperary".

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Yeah, home advantage will be massive for Tipp. Had the game been up north, Tyrone could already make plans for the quarters but Semple will prove tough for ye. Will be a very close game I think, difficult to call. However, it should be noted that the Tipp players themselves felt they could've performed better against Kerry after all the hype so I hope some lessons have been learned and they put in a performance they're capable of.

My heart says Tipp win but the head sees a very narrow one or two point win for Tyrone.

Xenophile wrote: »
    Glad we did the whinging ! We will be ready for you. It has fired us up! You will find Tipp play great in Ireland's second foremost GAA stadium. Safe journey! Give yourselves plenty of time to get down.........as the song says.........................."It's a Long Way to Tipperary".

It's a fair old drive to be sure! Even from Sligo where I am it's 3 hours so I think I'm going to have to watch this on the couch as I'm going to the connaught final on Sunday.
    fyfe79 wrote: »
    Yeah, home advantage will be massive for Tipp. Had the game been up north, Tyrone could already make plans for the quarters but Semple will prove tough for ye. Will be a very close game I think, difficult to call. However, it should be noted that the Tipp players themselves felt they could've performed better against Kerry after all the hype so I hope some lessons have been learned and they put in a performance they're capable of.

My heart says Tipp win but the head sees a very narrow one or two point win for Tyrone.

I think all three games on Saturday are too close to call. Tyrone, Derry and Kerry are probably all slight favourites but all three could easily lose. Our game is easily the closest and I wouldn't like to bet a penny either way.

Hopefully it's a good clean game and all we're talking about afterwards is the football. Given that it's on Sky and not RTE it's more likely to be the case because they'll not blow every wee thing out of proportion.

Great result and now maybe they can shut up about an U21 game every time Tyrone and Tipp are mentioned.

I'd just like to post this in here that was put up by the official Tyrone GAA on facebook and Twitter.
    ‘The Homeliness of Tipperary’
    On Saturday Tyrone played a first-ever competitive match in Semple Stadium. It had been our good fortune for the game to be fixed there, giving many Tyrone Gaels a first-ever experience of that special place. We all know the GAA was founded in Thurles. What we now also know is that the true GAA spirit thrives there. Something very simple brought that home to us, the sheer welcomes and enthusiasm we met when virtually every one of us wanted to walk onto and see at first hand that ‘perfect pitch’ after the game. Too-often elsewhere the GAA spectator is treated as an inconvenient commodity/source of revenue. We’re to be shooed, corralled, barred, penned, prevented and exploited. We found out on Saturday that’s not ‘The Semple Way.’ Thank you Tipperary for letting us soak in that privileged place of yours (and ours!) at our ease and our leisure. Others could and should take note!

Sligo next up and hopefully if we get though that we can set up a meeting with Monaghan. I'd much prefer to have to face them than Mayo or Donegal again for the weekends games went perfectly for us.

Beat Sligo and Monghan then we're most likely into a semi final against Kerry up in Dublin. From their who knows what can happen. We're only going to be favourites in one of those games if it works out for us but we're getting stronger game on game and a wee bot of optimism is starting to show again.

I know it sounds like I'm getting ahead of myself, but we can see a path to an All-Ireland final now. Sligo should be a straightforward task. Monaghan, tough opposition but in Croke Park I think we'll beat them. Then it's Kerry in a semi-final, no fear there. The draw has been kind to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

We only play monaghan if Donegal win, otherwise we play Mayo.

• Advertisement

Donegal will win. We'll play monaghan and I think we'll win but kerry will beat us.

I'm going to the game against Sligo on a bus from Sligo with 51 Sligo lads and myself. We better win!

Advertisement