Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Are you talking about the fuse in the wall socket plug fuse if so it should be 13A not 5A.

It's also I=P/V not I=p*V

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong here:

https://www.evga.com/support/faq/FAQdetails.aspx?f=59690

According to this FAQ page, for my PSU (850W) I should be fine with a 5A fuse? Is 13A dangerous to have attached?

850 (W) x 230 (V) = 3.695... (A)

In the event of a fault, the overcurrent protection functionality of the PSU will likely kick in long before you ever get to either 5A of current draw at the wall, let alone 13A.

In short - There should be no need to worry about the fuse size.

z0oT wrote: »
    In short - There should be no need to worry about the fuse size.

There is if you plan on changing the size to a lower amperage one. It should be 13A. That's what they come from the factory with as that is the one it needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Electrician here. The fuse is only there to protect the cable from the wall to the unit. Nothing else. Most cables are 1.5sq and therefore easily handle 13 amps. No reason or need to reduce it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Thanks, y'all.

I'd simply looked at my cables and realised that I'd been running with the PSU plugged in with 5A due to a mix-up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Inviere

Humble Store being weird this morning. I bought Voxatron (& PICO-8) last week on it fine. Today, it's asking for a Google Authenticator code....checked my Authenticator app, and Humble isn't a paired account in it :confused: I had 2FA set up, but fairly sure it was by text...anyway, ticket sent off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

May actually get round to starting my new build today.
    My current one has windows on a Samsung 850 Evo SSD the new build will have a nvme both 500 GB, should I fresh install windows on the nvme and use the SSD for steam and the likes or vice versa.
    HDD for mass storage for now will try to go complete solid storage over the life of this build.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'd always put OS on the fastest one.
    There's likely not a huge amount of benefit performance-wise to fresh installing, but I usually do it anyway as it's a handy way to de-clutter.
    (I usually end up with a lot of random crap installed after a few years of the same install from stuff I used once and forgot about)

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    I'd always put OS on the fastest one.
    There's likely not a huge amount of benefit performance-wise to fresh installing, but I usually do it anyway as it's a handy way to de-clutter.
    (I usually end up with a lot of random crap installed after a few years of the same install from stuff I used once and forgot about)

Ah yeah I really can't see performance being massively different I have to say was just wondering what people usually do. I would probably usually be lazy and just move the SSD as is but everywhere I look it says fresh install for Windows is the best option especially if moving from intel to AMD.
    Already de-cluttered the desktop shifted like half storage from the SSD the HDD so nearly got it cleared out either way.

Ah, if you're doing a full platform swap, then you might as well do a fresh install.
    It'll likely work (though I haven't actually tried that, so I can't say for certain), but you might as well.

If you swapped over from Intel then do a full install otherwise you will have a few yellow triangles in device manager.

I done the same before Christmas and then done a full install.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Ah, if you're doing a full platform swap, then you might as well do a fresh install.
    It'll likely work (though I haven't actually tried that, so I can't say for certain), but you might as well.
    If you swapped over from Intel then do a full install otherwise you will have a few yellow triangles in device manager.

I done the same before Christmas and then done a full install.

Yeah just went full fresh this time, build pretty much done its up and running now nice and smooth just gotta bring over the SSD and HDD from my last one. ill get some games up adn running hopefully see a difference in performance :p

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Earlier on this year I was looking at the idea of moving to Unraid on my home server since there's a good few people using it here, but there were some things that turned me off it like not being able to use multiple arrays or having to format the drives to start them off in the array.

However in the last 6 weeks I've managed to replicate pretty much all of the Unraid functionality using Debian with the exception of the real time parity - a pooled volume across multiple drives that doesn't use RAID, parity protection, Virtual Machines (one running an Openvpn server), and all applications running in Docker containers.

The only trouble is there's no nice GUI to manage everything so it requires command line work, but I'm quite happy with the end result.

Random one lads but with m2 ssds, do any of you know does the little screw that holds it into the motherboard standoff usually come with the drive, the motherboard or the case? Can't remember for my own one but on my sons PC the standoff doesn't have a screw in it nor do any of the ones I have fit it.

Usually with the mobo, in a little bag on its own.

Yeah googled it, seems I wasn't alone, it was caught up in one of the little leaflets that came in the box as many said could be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

New monitor arrived to day,with different things going on over the last year ive had to delay getting it a few times so delighted to finally get my hands on one. Been messing around with how im going to setup all morning

As a bonus i finally got around to putting a new Logitech G910 keyboard(warranty replacement)in place aswell. The double presses of the old one were slowly driving me insane:o

Still a bit messy as ive been doing a bit of drilling and workin out where i want everything to go. Desk cable management is an issue the way the stand is on the new monitor but ill figure something out.

Crap it looks like the new GPU's wont be out till much closer to year end,once i get a new one that will be me done with upgrades for a good while

512602.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,835 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

EoinHef wrote: »
    New monitor arrived to day,with different things going on over the last year ive had to delay getting it a few times so delighted to finally get my hands on one. Been messing around with how im going to setup all morning

As a bonus i finally got around to putting a new Logitech G910 keyboard(warranty replacement)in place aswell. The double presses of the old one were slowly driving me insane:o

Still a bit messy as ive been doing a bit of drilling and workin out where i want everything to go. Desk cable management is an issue the way the stand is on the new monitor but ill figure something out.

Crap it looks like the new GPU's wont be out till much closer to year end,once i get a new one that will be me done with upgrades for a good while

512602.jpg

Same monitor as me? LG 27GL83A-B?

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Same monitor as me? LG 27GL83A-B?

Its the LG 27GL850-B so very similar I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 27,835 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Its the LG 27GL850-B so very similar I'd imagine

No that's the better one again I think. More USB ports and a different back lighting?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    No that's the better one again I think. More USB ports and a different back lighting?

Yeah sorry meant in how they look. The USB hub and the color gamut of the back lighting are the main differences. One of the reasons I wanted IPS again was the vibrancy of colours. It's really nice to see again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

hows the ips glow on the gl850?

BArra wrote: »
    hows the ips glow on the gl850?

I have to say I'm plesantly surprised. This and dead pixels were my main worry as I bought it from Germany but everything looks good.

There is glow,as usual mostly in the bottom corners,more so bottom left on this unit. There is a smidge at the top on the left hand side near the middle of the screen but absolutely nothing I'd be worried about,least in the time I've had with it.

This just my unit though,cant speak for the GL850 in general.

I'm coming from a Qnix I bought in 2013,I do play a lot in a dark room and that panel being VA it was actually great but I did miss a certain vibrancy from colours hence going back to IPS. That monitor had quite a bit of BLB but I never noticed it as a problem at all so givin peoples tolerances are going to be subjective keep that in mind.

When I saw a few people talking the other day about scaling in Windows 10 at 1440p I have to say I was wondering what the issue was,I've been using a 1440p screen for years,not really had an issue once I set custom values for certain things.

It's only now I've switched from using DVI-D to display port I notice all my scaling has changed. How does that even work? The PC is exactly the same but for changing the connection type as above.

Can windows change scaling based on your connection type?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

When I saw a few people talking the other day about scaling in Windows 10 at 1440p I have to say I was wondering what the issue was,I've been using a 1440p screen for years,not really had an issue once I set custom values for certain things.

There were two issues raised, site scaling and display scaling. One impacts the other.

Windows scaling is broken. You can say set your 1440P to 150% scaling so is essentially an 1080P screen but that's not universal. Everything looks fine then you open some obscure utility you need and its the size of a pinhead (really a 4K issue). Also it softens the sh1t out of some stuff. So basically leave it off.

The other is the css/js of sites that applies a fixed width or a fixed max width. If you're using windows scaling you're not seeing this issue at all but you also might as well have bought a 1080p panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Facebook exclusively care about mobile and it shows.

ayAPMsJ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

amadablam wrote: »
    Can't test it yet as need case and cooler.

I know its not everyone's cup of tea but I wanted this card for months and was out of stock everywhere

Removed original images.

Almost ready for my build, just waiting on the case to be released but I'm getting impatient.

Say a prayer to the pc building gods that everything is ok as it cost a lot for a first build.

Original delivery from previous post Had a hairline crack from a traumatic delivery and amazon had none in stock so I waited as its too much money.

I had to buy and they refunded everything and a gift card for the difference.

Strangely enough it was shrink wrapped unlike the other new one but maybe just an amazon source thing.

Just need to get a monitor! My Bequiet Pure Base 500 DX case is here Thursday! :D

Rj2JtWY.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hi,

Currently have 12GB on a windows 10 machine. Using it quite a lot recently what with lockdown. I'm a developer so would run some memory hungry tools a lot of the time.

There are four slots.. currently configured with 3 x 4GB cards. I know that's not an optimal configuration but I was given a spare one at work years ago and I just stuck it in.

Anyway I'm thinking of taking one of the cards out and adding 2 x 8GB cards. For a total of 24GB.

Is that configuration going to be ok? Don't really want to buy 4 x 8GB for the sake of having the perfect configuration.

Also does anyone know of somewhere decent to pick up memory? If I could get 32 at the right price I might. I've looked at AMZ. Is that as good as it gets?

Need type DDR3 1333MHz.. it's an old i7 machine with an SSD in it. It's a perfectly capable desktop. Just needs that bit more memory.

Thanks

Advertisement