Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

tanko wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine sold a cull cow in the mart for 1300 euros last week, he found out that the cow was killed the next day and made 1550 euros. Nice work if you can get it:rolleyes:

sure is, but what about the costs inbetween. For me to buy a cow in a mart and kill the following day im losing money if the price difference is only €50 greater. Probably closer to €70 if I take into account mortality during transport of old cows. Now your neighbour wouldnt have gotten the same price for his one cow vs the guy that bought her selling maybe 30 together. He probably was down a €100 on that animal

At the end of the day you win some and you lose some, your mate was happy the time he sold her or else he would have brought her home. What the next man does is his business, no point me worried that keepak or ABP makes €500 when they buy the animal off of me. I was happy to sell it.

I bought continental cows of a guy recently for 1400 a piece that he had booked for slaughter a few days later. He would have been lucky to get 1300 in the factory as they had no finish with calfs just weaned. Now I would consider them good value as they are serious feeding cows and should feed into very good weights and hopefully leave a few quid in 3 months time. You takes your chances whatever you do.

nashmach wrote: »
    3.80 but is to come back with better or else they will be staying, not for delivery until the following week.

Impossible to sell cattle when your selling for a couple of weeks in advance. Same craic down these parts at present but I bet if I asked the agent down here that acts for your factory when could I get a double of cattle killed, bet they would be killed before yours as they always move far away cattle fast to keep local things under control. Miserable fookers.

Just off the phone with a guy finishing the same number as myself and we are both of the opinion we a going to get roasted this winter:(, and I consider this guy having a serious eye for the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

Fair enough, i agree with everything you say there. I know dealers arent buying finished cattle to lose money on them. I was just making the point that if farmers are selling finished cattle they should know the value of them. At least cows are making more than 60 - 70 p/lb like they were a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭flat out !!

Agent out looking at my fr bulls, left offering 3.80 for o's and 3.95 for r's. I dont expect too many r's so i'm holding out for more. Meal @ €300/tonne is the real killer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

Took 375for fresians and 4 ch bulls last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

€3.75 for O grade bulls ,Factory seem to be a little more anxious to get stock

getting €3.80 for them now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Best quote for over age bullocks 390 for r's and 384 for o's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Any update on cattle prices, base prices and flat prices for overage cattle especially friesians and for friesans bulls

I have met no one that has being getting anything near what the Farmers Journal was saying was being given to easy sellers last week. did they make a print mistake as trade still sluggish around here. No prices for you pudsey for this week, will let you know tomorrow as I have cattle slaughter tomorrow. €4 being paid for heifers to go on long trips around here this week :confused:. Called ot a regular I buy from at the weekend, an agent had just bought the animals even though they had no finish, will expect them to return less from slaughter than what I was going to pay for them for a further 3 months feeding. A fiver is big money to most agents :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I have met no one that has being getting anything near what the Farmers Journal was saying was being given to easy sellers last week. did they make a print mistake as trade still sluggish around here. No prices for you pudsey for this week, will let you know tomorrow as I have cattle slaughter tomorrow. €4 being paid for heifers to go on long trips around here this week :confused:. Called ot a regular I buy from at the weekend, an agent had just bought the animals even though they had no finish, will expect them to return less from slaughter than what I was going to pay for them for a further 3 months feeding. A fiver is big money to most agents :rolleyes:
    I rang the country looking for quotes for steers last week and couldn't get more than 3.90 base. Killed them Thursday. Then opened the journal to see I should have got 4.10 for them. Don't know where they are getting their quotes from. Pity it's not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭dryan

Cavanjack wrote: »
    I rang the country looking for quotes for steers last week and couldn't get more than 3.90 base. Killed them Thursday. Then opened the journal to see I should have got 4.10 for them. Don't know where they are getting their quotes from. Pity it's not true.
    I was offered 3.90 base for underage steers over t phone tonight. Not happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Markmmm

3.90 and 4.00 quoted today

3.90 offered during the week over the phone.
    Agent called out this evening to have a look. 4.00 was offered. Told him I will consider 4.10 next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

dryan wrote: »
    3.90 offered during the week over the phone.
    Agent called out this evening to have a look. 4.00 was offered. Told him I will consider 4.10 next week.

Steers I presume?

That is all that is on offer in the south east either.

Left to the bossman to get a few more bob out of them but these are on grass so have to go in the coming days.

Yip, steers.

• Advertisement

€3.90 still buying plenty bullocks in most outlets down south, would still prefer to be taking this price than €4.10 mid december on the same animals. slight tightening on supply, price movements may not be as forth coming as expected IMV, IFJ/IFA probably report than soft sellers are getting €4.20 everywhere:rolleyes:.

up north - U bulls 4.25 and 4.10 R's so far away fields arent as green as theyre making out. Stores are taking a serious up swing there aswell

IFA take http://www.ifa.ie/Sectors/Cattle/MarketPrices.aspx

Anyone get any quotes yet for steers for next week?

Has anyone any update on beef prices

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

Has anyone any update on beef prices

Father got 4 euro / kg for 550-650 kg bullocks under 30 mths @ euro meats and we are in bord Bia

Two different agents rang over the weekend looking for cattle this week, so supplies are obviously tight enough. One quoted €4.10 base plus transport for steers.

• Advertisement

bullocks still being bought for 3.95 down south, had a load out this morning. Good to hear you boyos up the country are able to get a good bit more than us down here. Getting as many as possible killed this week is my priority

I presume Flat out that bord bia bonus of 6c is on top of €4.10.

Yeah, the bonus would be on top after alright. R and U grade stock. I'm not in a panic to sell just yet. We'll see what next few weeks brings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

bullocks still being bought for 3.95 down south, had a load out this morning. .

I'm with bob on this - that was available late last week too ;)

This weeks weather will flush out any of the last grass based cattle.

What are the NI plants paying maybe that is influencing the southern prices?

anyone move any stock on this week? whats being paid?

Didnt stirr with my own batch of bullocks yet... Cant decide whether to move this week or hold out till next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭leoch

chating to a boy who deals for the factories and he reakoned that fat heifers around 24 months give or take are getting scarce and after xmas will be good money i think he said around 4.50/kg(not 100% sure) what they making at the minute does anybody know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

leoch wrote: »
    chating to a boy who deals for the factories and he reakoned that fat heifers around 24 months give or take are getting scarce and after xmas will be good money i think he said around 4.50/kg(not 100% sure) what they making at the minute does anybody know[/QUOT heard a mart manager saying that they were very afraid for after christmas. every forward heifer in this area was being bought for factory feed lots. also saw a factory man i know buying anything that was short keep for one of the bigger factory groups. saying that they love to control thesupply even if it means losing money on their own

Gone this evening. 4.03 base price for both under and overage steers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭locha

Sold yesterday. Steers all overage. 4.06 R's 4.16 U's. Not quite the prices on todays Indo, and I tried hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Gman1987

locha wrote: »
    Sold yesterday. Steers all overage. 4.06 R's 4.16 U's. Not quite the prices on todays Indo, and I tried hard!

Where abouts did you kill them?

3.90 for o grade dairy bred bulls going in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭locha

Ger1987 wrote: »
    Where abouts did you kill them?
    Donegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 deerejohn

4.10 for 10 bulls, 8 u, 2 r, 414 kgs, 18 to 22mts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Insp. Harry Callahan

Dawn meets rep called in with us yesterday
    4.12 flat for lim bulls next week
    4 euro per kg flat for freisan bulls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Tomjim

4.10 for hfrs last week

any price for this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

lads, i've 2 char bulls 12 months old weighing 600kg, don't usually keep bulls or fatten so anyone hazard a guess what their worth per kg?

jfh wrote: »
    lads, i've 2 char bulls 12 months old weighing 600kg, don't usually keep bulls or fatten so anyone hazard a guess what their worth per kg?

take a bow first and foremost, 12months old and 600kgs:eek:

What grades do you think they are

wish i could bob, i bought them last august at 400kg, there's no way their 12 months, breeder registered them late for sure.
    had them at the mart saturday week & one was making 1300, the other 1070 but there's only 15kg between them. so thinking the factory is the way to go. the poorer fella is a bit storeish & could do with another few weeks but weighs well. you'd imagine that bulls would grade into U's, as mentioned we don't fatten cattle so i wouldn't know the exact grading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭maxxuumman

Anyone get quotes for dAiry cows going around Christmas. Cows are warming up but don't know wheither to go now or early jan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

maxxuumman wrote: »
    Anyone get quotes for dAiry cows going around Christmas. Cows are warming up but don't know wheither to go now or early jan

Anyone? Same question here. Buyer coming for a look in the morning:eek:

• Advertisement

I would go now, trade for feeder cows has picked up a bit, why I dont know. whatever you can get over the € a kg wave good bye, unless you have some trick and very very cheap feed. Cant see much of a trade for beef post xmas in the short term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

I would go now, trade for feeder cows has picked up a bit, why I dont know. whatever you can get over the € a kg wave good bye, unless you have some trick and very very cheap feed. Cant see much of a trade for beef post xmas in the short term

Why can't you see a trade for beef post Xmas? Is it your gut or facts and figures or projections or maybe tradition?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭dasheriff

Your talking around 3.20kg for O3s..Im with bob id let them off now iv a load going monday..

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭dasheriff

Your talking around 3.20kg for O3s..Im with bob id let them off now iv a load going monday myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 41 problum8

I have two limousine bulls... One about 550kg the other 500kg or a bit less... They are about 16 months. What would be the best time to kill.. They are been fed ad lib the last fortnight.. I was thinking I could get rid of the bigger lad around Christmas? Will I gain the best value for them at this weight? I was told that between 500 and 700 kg is optimum for young bulls.. I would like to get rid of them asap as we usually dont finish... Also where would be the best factory for these? We are in Galway.. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Why can't you see a trade for beef post Xmas? Is it your gut or facts and figures or projections or maybe tradition?

I am with Bob and Manofeeling on this up to 2-3 weeks ago I thaught we would be looking at a serious lift in price around now or after Xmas as we do every year. However cannot see it happening bulls that were housed early in July/August have to be moved due to time in shed and price of ration. February will see usual glut of Dariry farmers cattle cannot see a serious price rise before April/May:eek: if then

• Advertisement

Farmer Pudsey, been offered 410 for those bulls, thought i'd get 415.
    mart or factory? any idea

Farmer Pudsey, been offered 410 for those bulls, thought i'd get 415.
    mart or factory? any idea

getting late for mart now, there will be nothing worth while next week in the marts. Anyone local to buy by hand? Best to feed on for Xmas if there only 600kgs. Bulls grading 1's and 2's fat will serious drop the price paid and I suspect from what you describe you have they are un finished.
    problum8 wrote: »
    I have two limousine bulls... One about 550kg the other 500kg or a bit less... They are about 16 months. What would be the best time to kill.. They are been fed ad lib the last fortnight.. I was thinking I could get rid of the bigger lad around Christmas? Will I gain the best value for them at this weight? I was told that between 500 and 700 kg is optimum for young bulls.. I would like to get rid of them asap as we usually dont finish... Also where would be the best factory for these? We are in Galway.. Thanks in advance.

Depending on quality I would suspect these guys need another 2 months feeding before even considering slaughter

appreciate the advise bob, they're young, one is finished alright , the other is 575kg and could do with another few weeks but they are gone off their nuts.
    so you'd be of the oopinion to hold on until mid jan if i could?

appreciate the advise bob, they're young, one is finished alright , the other is 575kg and could do with another few weeks but they are gone off their nuts.
    so you'd be of the oopinion to hold on until mid jan if i could?

Not if gone off their nuts, they need a change of diet or scenery

• Registered Users Posts: 41 problum8

My lads seem to be gone off their nuts too... Trough not touched last night.. What would you suggest as a change of diet?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement