Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Just did a walk this morning, growth back again to 64, just matching demand. I have a strong paddock, up at 2200 and starting to head out that I was hoping to take out this week but I'll be left with a massive hole in the wedge if I don't graze it.

Rain needed here again, the heavier paddocks motoring at over 90 and the drier ones in the 40s.

More of the NZ lingo us catching on every year
    with the dairy disciples, MTs, milking platform, now "hole in the wedge", it's better than a wedge in the hole I suppose.

Finished the first cut today, got 140 acres in the pit since Tuesday. Do it ourselves, with help from family and some great neighbours.
    Very high yields this year, kept 7 acres back that IL cut and feed out to cows daily over the next week to supplement the grazing platform. Have been cutting some and feeding it out the last week and really helping covers.

All wynds?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

with the dairy disciples, MTs, milking platform, now "hole in the wedge", it's better than a wedge in the hole I suppose.

No need to troll us. We know It's the gospel according to teagasc, For your sins go of and read the teagasc Bible twice. Amen.

No need to troll us. We know It's the gospel according to teagasc, For your sins go of and read the teagasc Bible twice. Amen.

My local advisor has taken the place of the priest every weekend sends us something "interesting" every Saturday night without fail, Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,136 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

visatorro wrote: »
    Dead crow in a drinker yesterday morning. Fished it out with a pigtail. Another dead crow in same drinker this morning. Dirty bastards

I read that as dead cow. I was thinking he must have massive drinkers :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Finished the first cut today, got 140 acres in the pit since Tuesday. Do it ourselves, with help from family and some great neighbours.
    Very high yields this year, kept 7 acres back that IL cut and feed out to cows daily over the next week to supplement the grazing platform. Have been cutting some and feeding it out the last week and really helping covers.

Maybe this question should be in the machinery thread but what kit have you got?

My augers didn't work this morning. I checked everything, no blockages etc. Milking machine man came and it was the overload switch had tripped. Didn't fancy filling them by hand .

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

Are you using zero grazer or mowing and picking up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

The grazing platform is one silly phrase, a platform is a raised wooden structure how the kiwi’s figured an area of grass is a platform still baffles me and the clowns here using the term now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    The grazing platform is one silly phrase, a platform is a raised wooden structure how the kiwi’s figured an area of grass is a platform still baffles me and the clowns here using the term now.

For some reason I like the ring of it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Gas the way some people hate absolutely anything nz.i can imagine years from now the real civil war between the grass/solids gang and the litres/ration gang will be discussed and various atrocities on the internet forums comitted by both sides will be debated and glorified. As the young crowd say what ever

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭straight

K.G. wrote: »
    Gas the way some people hate absolutely anything nz.i can imagine years from now the real civil war between the grass/solids gang and the litres/ration gang will be discussed and various atrocities on the internet forums comitted by both sides will be debated and glorified. As the young crowd say what ever

I'm not sure if I'm in the solids or litres gang but I got 1000 litres per cow for may. Fair going I think myself. You need the litres to carry the solids. If only the price was a bit higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

straight wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I'm in the solids or litres gang but I got 1000 litres per cow for may. Fair going I think myself. You need the litres to carry the solids. If only the price was a bit higher.
    How many kg/ms per cow for the month

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭straight

dar31 wrote: »
    How many kg/ms per cow for the month

I don't actually know lad but they held around the 2.1 kgms throughout. No point quoting percentages or litres alone cos it's only half the story I know. They're going well for me this year so far

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

K.G. wrote: »

I just hate the way it’s New Zealand or the highway .totally blinkered viewing by the likes of certain reporters/advisors in the journal and tegasc in a way there just put on a pedestal from what I can see a lot of us here doing things to a far higher /better standard

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

straight wrote: »

That's good going I'd say as well, did about 790 here sold per cow. Prob avg 50 calves or so on milk for the month as well. 63% first and second calvers, 4kg meal waiting on last result but bf 3.75 and P 3.49. Had a slightly higher percentage of first and second last year but actually peaked a litre or 2 higher last year, but more cow's this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

mahoney_j wrote: »
    I just hate the way it’s New Zealand or the highway .totally blinkered viewing by the likes of certain reporters/advisors in the journal and tegasc in a way there just put on a pedestal from what I can see a lot of us here doing things to a far higher /better standard

I always quote grain yields in tons/ha when talking to Irish farmers, quintal/ha when talking to French farmers, cwt/acre when talking to the Brits etc.
    But when talking to Irish dairy farmers about milk yields, I find that I’ve constantly to be up to date with the latest NZ lingo...

I’d look the right pap talking in quintaux/ha to Irish tillage farmers?

Are lads still spreading fertiliser?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

whelan2 wrote: »

Yeah, 19 units of protected urea+S. Had growth of 75 here the last week tho. With heavy ground ye should be flying it Whelan?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭jaymla627

mahoney_j wrote: »

If significant rain dosent come shortly, and we get another 2018 event it wont be actually viable to be breeding grass rat cows longterm and trying to operate spring calving herds breed for 95% grass based diets when your main growing months arent growing 70 plus kgs dm/ha consitently that coincides with peak milk yield....
    Putting in 6kgs plus of meal into animals that are genitically not bred to respond to it will send lads broke fairly quickly, the kicker for a nice % of glanbia suppliers is they havent even payed of 2018's drought bill yet

• Advertisement

jaymla627 wrote: »
    If significant rain dosent come shortly, and we get another 2018 event it wont be actually viable to be breeding grass rat cows longterm and trying to operate spring calving herds breed for 95% grass based diets when your main growing months arent growing 70 plus kgs dm/ha consitently that coincides with peak milk yield....
    Putting in 6kgs plus of meal into animals that are genitically not bred to respond to it will send lads broke fairly quickly, the kicker for a nice % of glanbia suppliers is they havent even payed of 2018's drought bill yet

I think your abit harsh there on the rats and their owners, I think people would like to believe that milking rat cows are heavily indebted and actually losing money:confused:

By the way I'm happy with my rat cows :D

A friend on drought y ground has stopped spreading, I'm spreading compounds on fields with a bit of cover, its changing abit later in the week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

jaymla627 wrote: »

What do you class as a grass rat herd?
    Still at 2.25kgs here and we dont pick bulls for milk yield

Yes, anyone that put money into the interest free fund wouldn't have.
    You'd would have been mad not to avail of it

Some guys salivate on the idea of lads with big merchant debt and lads going bust. I see it with a few lads I know asking the milkman how much a lad sent in, obsessed with everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Some guys salivate on the idea of lads with big merchant debt and lads going bust. I see it with a few lads I know asking the milkman how much a lad sent in, obsessed with everyone else

I honestly (and respectfully)couldn’t give a crap what a neighbour /freind etc is doing or not doing .every farm /situation different .i see lots of lads up in arms trying to do what lads in the journal etc are at or trying to compare costs via profit monitors .can never get that ,is it vanity maby maby not .the reality or actual truth of a lot of these is questionable anyway .i like going to farm walks or events of interest the financial figures mean nothing to me I’m interested in how he/she manages grass /ground stock /feeding and what is been got from stock via coop reports

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭jaymla627

What do you class as a grass rat herd?
    Still at 2.25kgs here and we dont pick bulls for milk yield

Yes, anyone that put money into the interest free fund wouldn't have.
    You'd would have been mad not to avail

Sub 450kgs ms delivered herds breeding cows struggling to hit 530kgs mature weight and a nice % of bull calves been bobbied yearly by one method our another, re the intrest-free money it was a can kicking down the road excercise that will sting lads badly this year with a potential drought situation and poor milk price.
    economically once nitrates deroagtion is scrapped and stocking rates have to be lowered, lads with sizeable term loans are still going to have to be sending in x amount of milk solids to meet repayments so the wheel will turn full circle and 8000 litre, 600kgs plus milk solids delivered cows will be needed, but with how the ebi system has been influenced so heavily by fertility/fat/pr % while totally disregarding volume,type,health etc it would take alot of Irish herds the guts of a decade to breed a suitable cow from the base cow we have today on a large % of Irish dairy farms....

Milk recorder was here this evening for the first time since February. She asked me did I want her to wear a mask before she started. I said no

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭alps

Milk recorder was here this evening for the first time since February. She asked me did I want her to wear a mask before she started. I said no

She should not have asked that question. She is to work under the strict protocol of waterproofs, gloves and mask. It is not her choice and she should have put you in an awkward position.

The protocols are there for everyone's protection and also for the continuance of the service. It's a serious breach by an employee.

• Advertisement

Was she wearing anything else?
    phnar phnar phnuc phnuc ...
    I know, i know , getting coat again...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement