Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has ignoring red lights gotten a lot worse?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Magicbastarder....try explaining that to a motorist who has driven tru a green light to be meet by a cyclist in the middle of a junction who has clearly not stopped at a red light .
    As the cyclist is now under a car/ bus/ truck try saying
    "It's not that bad mate "
    It would have been far worse if I broke the lights .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

In any case, road deaths have dropped by 63% since 2005, so motorists must be improving in their behaviour, despite the remaining issues you've mentioned.

Your assessment is very generous to motorists. Is it the behaviour that has improved, or is it the airbags and the ABS and the NCT?

Magicbastarder....try explaining that to a motorist who has driven tru a green light to be meet by a cyclist in the middle of a junction who has clearly not stopped at a red light .

How often does that happen Ashleigh?

Do you ever break the speed limit yourself Ashleigh?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when i'm driving, it's other motorists i have to watch out for.
    when i'm cycling, it's motorists i have to watch out for.

this is a very general observation, and not one that will apply to 100% of situations, but from what i've seen, when a cyclist sees a light changing, they'll look the junction and then decide to 'gun it'.
    when a motorist sees a light changing, they'll just look at the light and then gun it.

So there's no point in trying, because it's all the motorists fault anyway?

By all means, try away - try to get motorists to stop killing 2 or 3 people each week and maiming many more before you come lecturing cyclists.

• Advertisement

RUBBERChikken.... What would someone with 10 penalty points on their driving license prove to you ??
    That they are unlucky???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

ongarboy wrote:
    Just reading this heartbreaking story of a young boy who crossed at the pedestrian lights when the pedestrian man turned green and was knocked down and killed by a motorist with 32 previous convictions including a 3 year ban. Amazingly his family have forgiven the driver which just shows how amazing the human spirit can be.

The reason I'm writing is that I cross the junction of Guild Street and Mayor Street as a pedestrian every day in the IFSC in Dublin and it really angers me the way I see so many cars (mainly those coming from Beckett Bridge/North Wall Quay towards Sherrif St) breaking red lights. This morning, I observed the light going red and not one, not two, not three but 4 cars still proceeded to drive through the junction despite the pedestrian man being green and for which we all had to wait for the cars to pass before proceeding to cross.

I'm seeing this ignoring of red lights by motorists everywhere in Dublin these days. It used to just be amber gambling. Is this an upward trend associated with people's increased sense of impatience or has it always been there? More people will be killed like little Cian as long as this habit is not policed. I acknowledge that cyclists and pedestrians can similarly ignore ROTR but the consequences of a reckless motorist will always be so much worse in these circumstances.
    Just for ye tunnel vision cyclists ( the ones that don't see other cyclists (they are out there ) breaking traffic lights) .
    Let's change the topic headline .
    Has ignoring red traffic or amber lights by MOTORISTS (only) got worse .
    Discuss

To be fair, you seem to be the only one here struggling with the topic set by the OP, which, if you read it through, referenced cars/motorists many times and specifically excluded red light breaking from cyclists from the discussion.

So magicbastarder in all your years of cycling/ motoring you have NEVER seen a cyclist approaching a set of traffic lights and to use your term
    GUN TRU THEM ??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

So magicbastarder in all your years of cycling/ motoring you have NEVER seen a cyclist approaching a set of traffic lights and to use your term
    GUN TRU THEM ??
    can you read?
    if so, try rereading my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

By all means, try away - try to get motorists to stop killing 2 or 3 people each week and maiming many more before you come lecturing cyclists.

Where did I single out cyclists?

I really shouldn't have to point out that I'm a cyclist too.

If you really cared about people being killed, you'd focus your efforts on heart disease rather than motorists. See how this argument works both ways?

• Advertisement

Seeing as the topic has been "expanded" shall we say to talk about cyclists breaking reds, I will say one thing:

There's a huge difference HOW motorised vehicles and cyclists break traffic lights. A cyclist will normally approach a red at his/her regular speed, say up to 25kph, and then make a call to continue through at that same constant speed.

A car or van will see the light going red, often from some distance out and make a decision that they are getting through that light come hell or high water, and accordingly will floor it to get through. So what you have then is people stepping up to cross, and 2 tonnes of metal coming crashing through the crossing in full charge mode, probably at that moment doing well over what would be an appropriate speed even if the light were green.

Take a moment, to decide, if you had to be hit by one of those, which one would it be. I know which one I'd pick. Then try to tell me that a car/van/truck/bus breaking the light is in any way equivelant in road safety terms to a bicycle breaking the light.

btw, i don't break lights on the bike (or in the car) myself, and I've no problem with someone on a bike who does being nabbed by a garda who happens to be present. In terms of active policing though, the emphasis should be on those creating the most danger on our roads.

In the same way, I would cheer if I saw some dirty fecker lobbing rubbish out their car window get collared by a nearby garda car, but I wouldnt think it a good use of resources if I heard the gardai were mounting a campaign to catch litterers, because annoying and disgusting as littering is, there's far worse going on in our cities.

Duckjob.....the point is
    Cyclists are by Irish law to STOP at red traffic lights .
    They are not allowed to make a judgement as they approach lights to continue to cycle tru same RED lights .
    It's simples if you use the road ( motorists / cyclists ) you adhere to the LAW !!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai

Duckjob.....the point is
    They are not allowed to make a judgement as they approach lights to continue to cycle tru same RED lights .
    It's simples if you use the road ( motorists / cyclists ) you adhere to the LAW !!

I wasn't aware that Duckjob's post was saying the cyclist should be given a pass? In fact, he states "I've no problem with someone on a bike who does being nabbed by a garda who happens to be present".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Duckjob.....the point is

You keep repeating this but I don't think anyone has disagreed with you that cyclists should stop at red lights.

People are saying that if more resources are put towards stopping road users breaking red lights, motorists should be targeted first as they pose the biggest risk. Then cyclists, then pedestrians (because they are also road users).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Where did I single out cyclists?

I really shouldn't have to point out that I'm a cyclist too.

If you really cared about people being killed, you'd focus your efforts on heart disease rather than motorists. See how this argument works both ways?

Wouldn't cycling regularly reduce the chances of heart disease?

If the perception of cycling was that it was safer and more people did it, that would reduce the levels of heart disease. One of the things that could increase that safety perception would be if motorist behaviour was improved. Personally I'd be more in favour of a properly segregated cycling network though.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

I don't the law is in question here though. Everyone know the law (and if they don't they shouldn't be on the road). I do think the situation is getting worse though. I commute on a bike and drive for most other journeys.

Breaking red lights is as prevalent for motorists as it is for cyclists in my experience. They do it in different ways as mentioned above, but in either case it's still breaking the law.

As a cyclist I have to be watchful setting off when the lights go green as there seems to be an imaginary grace period after the light turns red for the other traffic stream during which cars will continue to drive through.

As a motorist I need to watchful for exactly the same behaviour. I very rarely encounter a cyclist cruising through an existing red light as most of them aren't looking to risk their lives.

As a pedestrian I need to be watchful for bikes/electric scooters mainly breaking red lights at pedestrian crossings, and every so often a distracted motorist.

In all cases, it's other road users breaking lights and it's futile trying to decide which type of road user is better or worse.

https://www.qut.edu.au/news?id=141968

A new Australian study has found that more than half of car drivers think cyclists are not completely human, with a link between the dehumanisation of bike riders and acts of deliberate aggression towards them on the road.

Do you ever break the speed limit yourself Ashleigh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

It's those killing motorists that kill pedestrians all the time I hate

Yeah that's great and all but it doesn't change the fact that they don't always STOP at RED lights; regardless of the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Duckjob.....the point is

Pretty sure you're not adhering to English grammar rules with this capitalisation.

McCrack wrote: »
    It's those killing motorists that kill pedestrians all the time I hate

It's close enough to one pedestrian killed each week - over 40 each year - the one category of road deaths that is growing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As for your comment about me as a "taxidriver regularly floating the traffic law ".
    The fact I have no penalty points proves you WRONG !!!

Fell out of my seat laughing at this one, having no penalty points means nothing, christ I see some shocking driving everyday from people, some I work with, and they all seem to have the same attitude that since they have no points, they must be good drivers, whereas all it means is they are lucky.
    No one is saying cyclists are innocent, more than you think in my experience but I am not in Galway as much as i used to be so cannot comment. My recent experience of Galway is that a very low percentage of road users, regardless of what the mode of transport care about the rules of the road, be they pedestrians, cyclists, motorists of all size of vehicles give a sh1t about the rules let alone obeying them. The funny thing is, I didn't see any pedestrians nearly killing others, seen a few cyclists nearly kill themselves, not hurting motorists and nearly hurting a small number of pedestirans. I seem quite a few motorists not hurt themselves, nearly hurt/kill quite a few pedestrians/cyclists.

Everyone should follow the rules, in times of limited resources, Gardai should focus on those that cause the most danger and carry the most risk. Guess which group that is?

It's close enough to one pedestrian killed each week - over 40 each year - the one category of road deaths that is growing

Kill, kill, kill.. That's all they seem to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Andrew ... As I've mentioned before
    I've a 30 year accident free driving history .
    I've no penalty points on my license.
    To have both takes observation on the road .
    Every hour of every day I see crazy driving from motorists including breaking lights ...
    But guess what Andrew no matter what you throw up
    I SEE CYCLISTS DOING THE EXACT SAME .

Its bit rich for a taxi driver to come on to a thread about motorists breaking red lights & complain about cyclists.
    I travel to work sometimes by car but mostly by motorbike & by far the biggest offenders on the Road are Taxi drivers.

When I work evening shift I avoid travelling home the quickest way through Drumcondra because of the reckless driving of the Taxi drivers.
    They think they are on the Nurburgring the way they speed in the bus lanes, changes lanes, never indicating & nearly always putting the foot down when the light goes red.

The vast majority of Taxi drivers probably don't have points on their license but that doesn't stop them breaking the rules of the road.

McCrack wrote: »
    Kill, kill, kill.. That's all they seem to do

No, not all killing - they also maim quite a lot - about 10 people seriously injured each week as well.

PWEI wrote: »
    Its bit rich for a taxi driver to come on to a thread about motorists breaking red lights & complain about cyclists.
    I travel to work sometimes by car but mostly by motorbike & by far the biggest offenders on the Road are Taxi drivers.

When I work evening shift I avoid travelling home the quickest way through Drumcondra because of the reckless driving of the Taxi drivers.
    They think they are on the Nurburgring the way they speed in the bus lanes, changes lanes, never indicating & nearly always putting the foot down when the light goes red.

The vast majority of Taxi drivers probably don't have points on their license but that doesn't stop them breaking the rules of the road.

Probably 80% of the negative experiences I've had while on the bike have been with taxi drivers, usually involving needless and pointless aggression instigated entirely by them.

No, not all killing - they also maim quite a lot - about 10 people seriously injured each week as well.

The evil bastards

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

When you have large percentages of cyclists breaking lights (and they do), it contributes to breeding a culture of noone caring about any of the rules.
    Where are you getting this "fact" that a large percentage of cyclists break red lights?

As this appears to be descending into a motorist Vs cyclist debate which won't get us anywhere, lets try and bring it back on topic. There are increasing numbers of road users (of all vehicle types) that break red lights when compared to several years ago.
    Obviously the potential for an incident comes with those driving be it car, bus, truck or whatever given that they frequently speed up on the approach.
    I can't think of any occasion where a vehicle (car, bus, truck, etc) can break a red light safely. I can however think of scenarios where a bike needs to break a red light (some sets of traffic lights simply will not change when a bike approaches) but these are rare and don't justify recklessness of endangerment of either the cyclist or others.
    Now can we get back on topic and stop with the cyclist vs everyone else theme please?

Advertisement