Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand tractors are gone expensive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭straight

Best of luck with it. Should be a fairly simple basic tractor I would think. I like the side windows in them masseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

straight wrote: »
    Best of luck with it. Should be a fairly simple basic tractor I would think. I like the side windows in them masseys.

Try explaining to my father how dyna shift works. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Reggie. wrote: »
    Well wear lad

Maybe it’s just the picture but the loader look far out from the tractor for centre of gravity. Did you lift anything with it to see how’s its balanced with a load. I know you probably have a counter weight in the rear just compared to your previous tractor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭Jb1989

jntsnk wrote: »
    Maybe it’s just the picture but the loader look far out from the tractor for centre of gravity. Did you lift anything with it to see how’s its balanced with a load. I know you probably have a counter weight in the rear just compared to your previous tractor

It looks to be well tight to the windscreen, maybe looks a bit high alright, or else is just a very strong, beefy loader

jntsnk wrote: »
    Jb1989 wrote: »
    It looks to be well tight to the windscreen, maybe looks a bit high alright, or else is just a very strong, beefy loader

Haven't lifted anything with it yet, supposedly the same loader as the Quicke 45 I think or maybe the Q35. Have a rear weight for her.

There's a good bit of clearance between the window and loader, possibly just the angle the pic was taken. It does appear to be a beefier loader than the Quicke the neighbour has on his 5060. Time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,071 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Haven't lifted anything with it yet, supposedly the same loader as the Quicke 45 I think or maybe the Q35. Have a rear weight for her.

There's a good bit of clearance between the window and loader, possibly just the angle the pic was taken. It does appear to be a beefier loader than the Quicke the neighbour has on his 5060. Time will tell.

There is likely actually a Quicke plate on that as well if you look for it. That will have the model on it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

There is likely actually a Quicke plate on that as well if you look for it. That will have the model on it

Its a Q45

• Registered Users Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Asked a local dealer to keep an eye out for me and told him roughly what I was looking for, he had this within a fortnight.
    554035.jpg

Wear well. Was that McElderry who got it for you - aren't they the big MF dealer in Antrim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

lovely Massey, looks like its a good spec too with the extra work lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭amacca

Reggie. wrote: »
    Its a Q45

correct and right....they are a bit too big for the tractor if thats a 5455 imo ...but having said that who doesnt like somethig thats overengineered.

• Advertisement

Wear well. Was that McElderry who got it for you - aren't they the big MF dealer in Antrim?

No he wouldn't be in the league of McElderrys, but then again he's only taking a small cut for himself. Hammy Kidd, he's on DD, had three nice 5712's in but too pricey for me..
    My father dealt with his uncle for years when buying IH 674's, 784's etc and would always ask if there was a guarantee with the tractor. Usual response was "there's a concrete guarantee, once she leaves this concrete there's no guarantee".

Ah he's only up the road from us and had her fully stripped in the workshop to look her over before selling it to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭minerleague

No he wouldn't be in the league of McElderrys, but then again he's only taking a small cut for himself. Hammy Kidd, he's on DD, had three nice 5712's in but too pricey for me..
    My father dealt with his uncle for years when buying IH 674's, 784's etc and would always ask if there was a guarantee with the tractor. Usual response was "there's a concrete guarantee, once she leaves this concrete there's no guarantee".

Ah he's only up the road from us and had her fully stripped in the workshop to look her over before selling it to us.

Any harm to ask what kind of money for the 5712s? been looking at similar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Another one I've heard was from a lad in a yard not to far from us.
    What guarantee is with that Joe
    Ah there is the usual tail-light guarantee
    If she breaks down in the time it takes me to see your tail-lights disappear into the distance I'll sort ya out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Well Wear

you got a good price for the cx

Any major issues with it up to them hours?

New to me at the weekend. Had been looking to buy a tractor with maybe higher hours and a smaller handler, but prices for both were over budget and I was unlikely to be happy with both machines. I had been keeping an eye out since Christmas and looked at a fair few machines, but prices were high for the hours on them. Asked a local dealer to keep an eye out for me and told him roughly what I was looking for, he had this within a fortnight.

He told me to take it for a week and see if I was happy with it. Seems like a decent solid tractor and good enough visibility on the loader. Tyres are a bit more worn than ideal but there were a few of similar years with higher hours in around £27-28,500 but this is an 09 Reg, 5000 hours. Traded in an 02 McCormick cx90 with over 10,000 hours against it leaving the the deal at £17,500 plus VAT.

554035.jpg

Any harm to ask what kind of money for the 5712s? been looking at similar

As far as I remember they were in around £32K, no loader so I didn't enquire too much. I priced that many machines, I could be way wrong!

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/2017-massey-ferguson-5712-sl/26080037

Lakill, she was starting to give starter & fuel problems fairly regularly and despite draining and washing the tank a couple times, pipes cleaned, new filters etc. we couldn't get to the bottom it it.
    Plus brakes were due and really it was time for a change. The engine on that Cx was a great engine, never put a foot wrong and a great yard tractor.
    There was an 02 Reg Cx90 advertised in Fermanagh with 4,500 hours on it, looked in good condition, looking £14,500. I was very tempted, so i think i did alright in the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Lakill, she was starting to give starter & fuel problems fairly regularly and despite draining and washing the tank a couple times, pipes cleaned, new filters etc. we couldn't get to the bottom it it.
    Plus brakes were due and really it was time for a change. The engine on that Cx was a great engine, never put a foot wrong and a great yard tractor.
    There was an 02 Reg Cx90 advertised in Fermanagh with 4,500 hours on it, looked in good condition, looking £14,500. I was very tempted, so i think i did alright in the deal.

Did you replace the fuel line from the fuel tank to the lift pump

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Swindled

Found one, armour plated 35

seiszvmwon641.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Swindled wrote: »

seiszvmwon641.png

It would be no good it not 4WD how would you get across a rushy field in Leitrim in that ro shoot a few crows

Slava Ukrainii

It would be no good it not 4WD how would you get across a rushy field in Leitrim in that ro shoot a few crows

With a range of 2000m and a rate of fire of 800 rounds per minute, I don't have to get across the field . . the crows do. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

With a range of 2000m and a rate of fire of 800 rounds per minute, I don't have to get across the field . . the crows do. :D

Is it covered under TAMS?

:)

Is it covered under TAMS?

:)

Comes under structural improvements and the welding is all done to spec :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

I love it when a plan comes together, now where are my cigars.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,071 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Try explaining to my father how dyna shift works. :D:D

Wait til you have to explain to him how to work the hydraulic arms :pac:

Buttons and knobs and wheels all over the place

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Wait til you have to explain to him how to work the hydraulic arms :pac:

Buttons and knobs and wheels all over the place

An elderly neighbour up the road never mastered how to drive anything other than a MF35 and in later year's a 135. He got a few "lessons" year's back from another neighbour in said neighbours car. Things weren't going great on the motoring front and whatever took place this particular evening our man managed to land the car on it's side in a drain. It looked worse than it was, the car was recovered with minimal damage and it was deemed a simple mistake. However our man took it too heart and thanked his instructor for his assistance but said he'd stick to the tractor in future. He maintained you'd "want 3 feet to drive a car".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

An elderly neighbour up the road never mastered how to drive anything other than a MF35 and in later year's a 135. He got a few "lessons" year's back from another neighbour in said neighbours car. Things weren't going great on the motoring front and whatever took place this particular evening our man managed to land the car on it's side in a drain. It looked worse than it was, the car was recovered with minimal damage and it was deemed a simple mistake. However our man took it too heart and thanked his instructor for his assistance but said he'd stick to the tractor in future. He maintained you'd "want 3 feet to drive a car".

I know of a solicitor that drove into the car ferry and thought hed have to reverse out of it he couldn't understand that you could drive off a person had to drive on and off for him each time for years

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

seiszvmwon641.png

Don't mean to bring down the tone.

But it just shows the desperate situation of who cobbled that together during the Balkans war.
    Russian machine gun on a useless machine with tinfoil armour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I learned to drive on Zetor crystals and bought my first car a few years later at about 19/20, which was a Corolla.

Took a long time to get out of the habit of double clutching

But it just shows the desperate situation of who cobbled that together during the Balkans war.
    Russian machine gun on a useless machine with tinfoil armour.

When it's ethnic "cleansing" time and you've a family you cobble whatever you can. Seen a large homemade apc that was made in the shipyard for doing humanitarian runs in the streets during siege of Dubrovnik, much thicker armour, about 2" sloped plate, multiple small arms round impacts all over it but none gone through. Saved many lives in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

had a sales man here yeasterday pricing up changing a silage rake. he copied the mf 5610 in the yard here and immediately started trying to persuade me to trade it in for a new one..said he had a queue of lads waiting for used models like mine to come in

Advertisement