Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand tractors are gone expensive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭DBK1

Someone told me the other day, digger drivers in cork city are on 28/hour now, and it’s hard to get lads for it...

Now, talk is cheap, don’t know if it’s true or not. But it’s handy money I thought...
    I have a friend in Kildare driving a digger at €25 per hour and a few months back, in the middle of a lockdown, they were crying out for workers and couldn’t get them.

A neighbour here in his early 20’s was offered €20 per hour, doing 10 - 12 hour days, driving a 40 ton dumper on a site about 50-60 mins commute from here. He turned it down as he said it wouldn’t pay him for his travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

DBK1 wrote: »

A neighbour here in his early 20’s was offered €20 per hour, doing 10 - 12 hour days, driving a 40 ton dumper on a site about 50-60 mins commute from here. He turned it down as he said it wouldn’t pay him for his travelling.

That fella must be on the pup if €200-€240 a day wouldn't pay him for travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

We’re talking about €12-€15 per hour. It’s not big money at all.

I don’t have a tractor mechanic employed directly but if I wanted one I’d highly doubt I’d find one to work for less than €12 per hour?

Lads that are talking about paying €100 a day for what could often turn out to be a 20 hour day at silage, and sometimes 24 hours, would you work hours like that for €5 per hour? Or would you expect any of your kids to work for €5 per hour?

I suppose the point I was trying to make is that a tractor mechanic is a more qualified role with requirements for more experience, knowledge and training than actually operating the equipment.

It wasn’t a complaint about the amount a driver makes, it was more how little a mechanic earns in comparison for a more difficult & involved role.

I’ve done both in the past, there is no comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rs8

Someone told me the other day, digger drivers in cork city are on 28/hour now, and it’s hard to get lads for it...

Now, talk is cheap, don’t know if it’s true or not. But it’s handy money I thought...

All these figures are grand until you hit your tax cut off .. then your working for micheal and Leo!! Alot of lads would hit there hours by Thursday. There's only one way to get paid after that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Lads that are talking about paying €100 a day for what could often turn out to be a 20 hour day at silage, and sometimes 24 hours, would you work hours like that for €5 per hour? Or would you expect any of your kids to work for €5 per hour?

It's all relative. In general it's 14-16 hour days. If it longer it extra or you are off the following day and paid for it. Not the highest rate per hour but mostly 4-5 weeks work with only 1-2 days off.3-3500 earned in cash.

You could spend the summer working 5-6 hour shifts for 4-5 days a week for the summer and not have much more earned. None of mine did a silage season as they always had a decent summer job. However my eldest used to do an odd day for a local guy if he was off work for the 100 euro. He was just finished college one year and had little work with his regular gig and did 5 days straight for him. Contractor was cribbing a bit as he wanted to put him on the books for the few days but young lad refused.

There must still be so few paying cash as these boy seem to have a bit to spread around

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭DBK1

It's all relative. In general it's 14-16 hour days. If it longer it extra or you are off the following day and paid for it. Not the highest rate per hour but mostly 4-5 weeks work with only 1-2 days off.3-3500 earned in cash.

You could spend the summer working 5-6 hour shifts for 4-5 days a week for the summer and not have much more earned. None of mine did a silage season as they always had a decent summer job. However my eldest used to do an odd day for a local guy if he was off work for the 100 euro. He was just finished college one year and had little work with his regular gig and did 5 days straight for him. Contractor was cribbing a bit as he wanted to put him on the books for the few days but young lad refused.

There must still be so few paying cash as these boy seem to have a bit to spread around
    Take a 15 hour day as average so and you’re still talking only €6.60 an hour. You won’t get lads to do it and you couldn’t expect them to either, there’s too much handy money to be made elsewhere. A lad stacking shelves in Lidl is in €12.40 an hour and no responsibility really. I know it’s not the type of job that’s suit everyone but I’m just giving the example of what money can be earned in other places.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to get a good lad for €100 a day because I’m the one that’s paying the money out so the less I can pay him the better for me but I can tell you they’re not there to be got at that rate. And I don’t blame them one bit for it, why would they do it when they can make more than that for half the hours elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,136 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Take a 15 hour day as average so and you’re still talking only €6.60 an hour. You won’t get lads to do it and you couldn’t expect them to either, there’s too much handy money to be made elsewhere. A lad stacking shelves in Lidl is in €12.40 an hour and no responsibility really. I know it’s not the type of job that’s suit everyone but I’m just giving the example of what money can be earned in other places.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to get a good lad for €100 a day because I’m the one that’s paying the money out so the less I can pay him the better for me but I can tell you they’re not there to be got at that rate. And I don’t blame them one bit for it, why would they do it when they can make more than that for half the hours elsewhere.

There is a difference between getting a lad for X per day on call when you are busy and need him and having a lad working for you for the whole year or even for a solid 3 months. That is the same with any job

It's all relative the young lad out of college might be getting 20-25 hours a week 6 hours Thursday and Friday evening and 8-10 on Saturday or Sunday all summer long. 250-300 euro/ week all summer long. The lad doing silage is on less per hour but in that 4-5 weeks is picking up 3-3.5k. He will probably pick up days here and there off the contractor or elsewhere. From July on he has a good bit of freedom to go to festivals ( when we had them) or away for a weekend.

I am not saying I agree with it or want it for any of mine. But it was exists it part of the reality out there. Most contractors will have a few regular drivers and top up with these temporary divers. It's the nature of the business.

Slava Ukrainii

rs8 wrote: »
    All these figures are grand until you hit your tax cut off .. then your working for micheal and Leo!! Alot of lads would hit there hours by Thursday. There's only one way to get paid after that :D

When you are on that type of money you live with the tax. For a 40 hour week that 1120. It makes lads less likely to work Saturdays or OT unless there is a good extra rate. However even at the high tax rate you are nearly netting 14/ hour. For a 40 hour week you would be grossing 1120/ week. If there a half day Saturday you might be getting another 150 + on top of it. Only other extra is a meal allowance paid tax free.

Often companies stuck for workers will pay overnight accomdation but it's no advantage unless there is extra hours in the evening. It a long evening in a BnB from 5.30 the until bedtime

Slava Ukrainii

When you are on that type of money you live with the tax. For a 40 hour week that 1120. It makes lads less likely to work Saturdays or OT unless there is a good extra rate. However even at the high tax rate you are nearly netting 14/ hour. For a 40 hour week you would be grossing 1120/ week. If there a half day Saturday you might be getting another 150 + on top of it. Only other extra is a meal allowance paid tax free.

Often companies stuck for workers will pay overnight accomdation but it's no advantage unless there is extra hours in the evening. It a long evening in a BnB from 5.30 the until bedtime

Alot of companies are making up wages up with meal allowance and country money (€181 tax free) however €1120 is about €789 take home which doesn't sound as exciting!! In regards to netting the €14 an hour in the high tax bracket I wouldnt answer the phone for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭cute geoge

As far as I know the way contractors pay is 14/hour for 40 /48hour week any overtime evening and sundays then is paid as 14 cash .Contractors always pick up a few cash jobs wheather its small time /old farmers who still can get a good deal for cash and might be drawing social welfare on top

Alot of companies are making up wages up with meal allowance and country money (€181 tax free) however €1120 is about €789 take home which doesn't sound as exciting!! In regards to netting the €14 an hour in the high tax bracket I wouldnt answer the phone for it.

The fact is 28/ hour is a huge wage for digger drives. Most would take your hand off for it. The bone of 800/ week into your hand is good money. There are many people not within as ass's roar of that. There are many people in call centers only earning 11-12 euro/ hour answering phones and that's before tax.

The tax system is what it is. You can only work so much around it. For many people they do not even get these options

Slava Ukrainii

It must be great to have such a good job or do you live somewhere very expensive.

€789 would be 41k a year, a lot of people don't make that gross and you think it's nothing exciting net.

With that attitude no wonder you wouldn't answer the phone for €14 net. Plenty literally answering for it and maybe less gross.

The only surprising thing is you're on a farming forum where the average net income per hour worked is probably about €4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

It must be great to have such a good job or do you live somewhere very expensive.

€789 would be 41k a year, a lot of people don't make that gross and you think it's nothing exciting net.

With that attitude no wonder you wouldn't answer the phone for €14 net. Plenty literally answering for it and maybe less gross.

The only surprising thing is you're on a farming forum where the average net income per hour worked is probably about €4.

ha ha, I was thinking the same thing...

14/hour is too little for the 'real job', and then works for peanuts on the part-time farming job :)

I shouldn't laugh, as I'm at the same myself maybe. :rolleyes:

ha ha, I was thinking the same thing...

14/hour is too little for the 'real job', and then works for peanuts on the part-time farming job :)

I shouldn't laugh, as I'm at the same myself maybe. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't work the real job for what I make farming either but then again I'd owe my employer money every week.

How many lads were getting a grand a week driving a digger in the celtic tiger days? Wake up that was 12 years ago plus ... everythings gone up why should wages be gone down for an experience operator? Especially in a housing boom? You leave your house for dublin at 5.30am and not home till something similar in the evening and work out the costs of running a van,insurance,tax, diesel, tyres,tolls .. you can take €80 plus out of your wage packet and thats if you've no repayments on a vehicle!! So at 40 hours working week and 10 hours plus traveling/in traffic and you think after costs around €700 is a good wage .. I'm sorry I can't agree .. but I'm basing this on working in or around Dublin and traveling from a satellite town a hour away with an experienced driver plus 10 years experience . A sparks or carpenter wouldn't do it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭Grueller

Soooo......
    Second hand tractors?

How many lads were getting a grand a week driving a digger in the celtic tiger days? Wake up that was 12 years ago plus ... everythings gone up why should wages be gone down for an experience operator? Especially in a housing boom? You leave your house for dublin at 5.30am and not home till something similar in the evening and work out the costs of running a van,insurance,tax, diesel, tyres,tolls .. you can take €80 plus out of your wage packet and thats if you've no repayments on a vehicle!! So at 40 hours working week and 10 hours plus traveling/in traffic and you think after costs around €700 is a good wage .. I'm sorry I can't agree .. but I'm basing this on working in or around Dublin and traveling from a satellite town a hour away with an experienced driver plus 10 years experience . A sparks or carpenter wouldn't do it

€700 take home is a good wage where I am down the west but then again I don't pay Dublin prices for everything.

I'm an experienced professional with 10 years experience and am paid accordingly too. You've clarified you're basing your expectations on the dearest part of the country.

I can't comment on the Celtic tiger years because when I entered the workforce everything had crashed and I'd to take a job where after expenses I literally would've been better off on the dole. That would've given me about €200 to stay in bed and after expenses such as rent (I'd to relocate), and run a car to get home each weekend (My choice) I was probably doing well to have between €100-€150 in my pocket to live on. The thing is if I'd done that I'd still be on about €200 on the dole.

They were and two years later they were lucky to be getting 500/ week into there hand. There is ten of thousands of people travelling in and out of Dublin that will not see the colour of a grand gross many will not make 800 gross per week. That the reality of being s PAYE worker.

Yes employers can be flexible when the economy is thriving and pay overnight allowances, or milage and meal allowances to ge more money into a workers hands when the economy is strong. It happened last time as well. Strictly speaking the overnight allowance drops to about 200/ week after you are in the one location longer than 6-8 weeks. When the boom ends the allowances ends. If you are on 28/ hour it's stays the same or you collect a redundancy payment before you move on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ballinadog

Grueller wrote: »
    Soooo......
    Second hand tractors?

In 2017 we gave 35k for an 08 JD 5820 incl a loader with near 7k hours on it. Now it was very clean and we got a few implements for the loader (Bucket, Soft Hands Grab etc) thrown in but even at that we thought it a touch on the high side at the time, but I still wouldn’t like to be replacing it today. Going by the comments on this thread she’s prob still worth close to 30k today??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

You would probably have it back in Ireland for 45k euro. I think registration is 200 euro. Nice tractor if it's as clean as it looks it probably as good as you will get out there. 5 Ton rear lift capacity. 36forward and 12 reverse so the power shuttle is only available at lower gears.

Not sure what the electrics and the shuttle are realibility wise but a tidy little tractor

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭cute geoge

what warranty will you get on the likes of them tractor from a dealer in the north or the uk .They might look cheap until they break down 4 weeks later and its not that easy to get any independent mechanic nowadays so the next tractor I buy will be from a local dealer unless of course I get the bargain of my life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭White Clover

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

cute geoge wrote: »
    what warranty will you get on the likes of them tractor from a dealer in the north or the uk .They might look cheap until they break down 4 weeks later and its not that easy to get any independent mechanic nowadays so the next tractor I buy will be from a local dealer unless of course I get the bargain of my life

Another problem on newer tractors is that they need to have the software programmed after repairs, which is another reason for buying from a local dealer ....like it or not.

cute geoge wrote: »

You have to get the tractor checked out. These sort of situations are not for everyone. What price would that tractor make here I am not sure. There may not be a huge saving buying in the UK. When you go to the UK looking for a car or a tractor you need to have 4+ that you are willing to go to look at. If the difference is 8-10K that will sort an awful lot of problems if they happen. Most dealer selling a tractor like that may only give you 6 months warranty or 500 hours.

Real saving is any lad that is vat registered can go over and import that tractor without any vat. It can be virtually impossible to buy tractors of that size that have the vat on them. Even if they do dealers tend to be looking for a premium for them

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Best avoided, They have form!

Form for what? They have a rebadged fpt engine, manual gearbox electric splitter and clutch and the remaining electrics are basic enough stuff.
    Reggie seems happy with his.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭White Clover

Form for what? They have a rebadged fpt engine, manual gearbox electric splitter and clutch and the remaining electrics are basic enough stuff.
    Reggie seems happy with his.

Not the tractor, the company selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

New to me at the weekend. Had been looking to buy a tractor with maybe higher hours and a smaller handler, but prices for both were over budget and I was unlikely to be happy with both machines. I had been keeping an eye out since Christmas and looked at a fair few machines, but prices were high for the hours on them. Asked a local dealer to keep an eye out for me and told him roughly what I was looking for, he had this within a fortnight.

He told me to take it for a week and see if I was happy with it. Seems like a decent solid tractor and good enough visibility on the loader. Tyres are a bit more worn than ideal but there were a few of similar years with higher hours in around £27-28,500 but this is an 09 Reg, 5000 hours. Traded in an 02 McCormick cx90 with over 10,000 hours against it leaving the the deal at £17,500 plus VAT.

554035.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,374 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

New to me at the weekend. Had been looking to buy a tractor with maybe higher hours and a smaller handler, but prices for both were over budget and I was unlikely to be happy with both machines. I had been keeping an eye out since Christmas and looked at a fair few machines, but prices were high for the hours on them. Asked a local dealer to keep an eye out for me and told him roughly what I was looking for, he had this within a fortnight.

He told me to take it for a week and see if I was happy with it. Seems like a decent solid tractor and good enough visibility on the loader. Tyres are a bit more worn than ideal but there were a few of similar years with higher hours in around £27-28,500 but this is an 09 Reg, 5000 hours. Traded in an 02 McCormick cx90 with over 10,000 hours against it leaving the the deal at £17,500 plus VAT.

554035.jpg

Well wear lad

Advertisement