Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

whelan2 wrote: »
    Milk 12 rows at peak. Changed once a year here

Changed in Jan 2 years ago, said I'd see how they go and liners started splitting in early Oct, so would be well passed it. Jan and June now roughly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,833 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Mooooo wrote: »
    Changed in Jan 2 years ago, said I'd see how they go and liners started splitting in early Oct, so would be well passed it. Jan and June now roughly

What make are they?

Dairymaster, maybe the level of hot washing may not help. Use serpent in final rinse but that shouldn't do anything to rubber ware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

How many rows ye milking? At 9 last year, need changing twice a year. Back up to 10 this year, will see after that what I'll do re' yard and numbers

7.5 rows here

Must look in the morning what brand mine are. The ones I took off were Pearson but the ones I put on today were in a big box not packed in packs of 4

mahoney_j wrote: »
    7.5 rows here

7 rows I think is grand. If i was to get heifers and calves off the block I could possibly go to 180/ 190 which would be 8 rows in a 24 unit. Dunno would I want to be running up and down a 24 unit in 20 years tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Do ye pull up to the first notch at the start or just go straight to the second notch from the start?

Change every year here usually after the heifers are trained and then have to change an odd few throughout the year.
    Senior liners and pulled to the second notch from the start.

Do ye pull up to the first notch at the start or just go straight to the second notch from the start?

Change every year here usually after the heifers are trained and then have to change an odd few throughout the year.
    Senior liners and pulled to the second notch from the start.

Apparently the notches dont make any difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

What make are they?

Had been using fullwood liners, doing well to get 1500 milking out of them. Switched milk rite liners and changed at 3000 milking and no splits. Milk rite liners are about €200 a change cheaper. Will still change 3 times a year doing 12 rows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭straight

How many rows ye milking? At 9 last year, need changing twice a year. Back up to 10 this year, will see after that what I'll do re' yard and numbers

Milking 6 rows here. I change all these things as needed as opposed to when recommended. Service man told me before you had to change all the milk tubes every 2 years or something.

• Advertisement

Sold 3 cull cows yesterday.
    720kg - 1050 euro,
    670kg - 890,
    725 kg - 930.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Using dairymaster 916S here, I never saw a split liner in my life. Change once a year at the start here.
    I was always told the second notch was not to be used at all, at any cost, completely verboten! ( it had some ancient, obscure, and now obsolete function).

straight wrote: »
    Sold 3 cull cows yesterday.
    720kg - 1050 euro,
    670kg - 890,
    725 kg - 930.

Great prices, mart or factory?

Average size P+3+ kiwi cross 2 1/2 y old, ( 3 pap heifer and got mastitis a few times this year)
    Made 850 in factory.

Great prices, mart or factory?

Average size P+3+ kiwi cross 2 1/2 y old, ( 3 pap heifer and got mastitis a few times this year)
    Made 850 in factory.

Mart. I don't bother with the factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Changing liners, pulsatuon tubes and diaphragm this year. First year in 3 pulsation and diaphragms

Are derogation farmers able to feed whatever protein ration they want up to April this year. Is the crude protein rule only for between april and September like last year?

straight wrote: »
    Are derogation farmers able to feed whatever protein ration they want up to April this year. Is the crude protein rule only for between april and September like last year?

Its for the grazing season afaik. Ideally from a cow point of view total diet protein should be 16% so if cows are on silage or forage with low protein they'll need higher protein supplementation, cant see how they could enforce it really outside of those times of year

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Dairy sale in New Ross mart this Friday: https://www.facebook.com/141016896079994/posts/1711170302397971/?d=n

15 calved heifers
    2 calved cow's
    52 in calf heifers
    11 in calf cow's &
    15 maiden heifers.
    Please note this is an on line sale and bidding can be done using the LSL app. For more contact the office on 051421624.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Tb test due by 28th Feb! Ffs what do they be thinking in the Department landing dates like that on spring calving farms. If I move it back to the end of March I know I'll be locked up for the month, but will I be able to sell calves under 6wks old anyone know?

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    Tb test due by 28th Feb! Ffs what do they be thinking in the Department landing dates like that on spring calving farms. If I move it back to the end of March I know I'll be locked up for the month, but will I be able to sell calves under 6wks old anyone know?

No, everything will be restricted if you go passed the date unless there is a covid related reason edit to say you could ask to go early maybe, end of Jan maybe?

You could go a month early ,after 28 feb u might get a week or so .not certain but I think a 28 day extension has been given for any tests due atm
    I agree on testing this time of year far from ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

can u get it done straght away??

We test the first week in March every year. We blood for johnes then too.

First spring in years not having to test. Used to tie it in with dosing to avoid cows going up the crush any more than necessary and in case one would go down there would be no issue with her going away

Out test has been the second week of Jan for years, thankfully we've no TB locally so it's pretty low risk. Apart from that it's a grand time to have it for us, there's nothing much going on and all our stock are in the yard.
    We've never had an issue with anything happening any in calf cows, touch wood.
    I'd do it asap if I were you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

Well lads, just enquiring here considering setting up a dehorning service for calves and a grass measuring service this year, just wondering from ye here do ye get calves dehorned by someone or would you pay someone to do them for you. In a dairy strong area all around so could work out well in between milkings.

Hoofcare man does the dehorning here. He gets a good bit of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Mf310 wrote: »
    Well lads, just enquiring here considering setting up a dehorning service for calves and a grass measuring service this year, just wondering from ye here do ye get calves dehorned by someone or would you pay someone to do them for you. In a dairy strong area all around so could work out well in between milkings.

Definitely a good market there for those services. You should consider soil sampling aswell. Guy in this area, south tipp, is travelling to places from west cork to Galway to carlow, to do soil sampling.

Definitely a good market there for those services. You should consider soil sampling aswell. Guy in this area, south tipp, is travelling to places from west cork to Galway to carlow, to do soil sampling.

No, calves will be lock up aswell. Roll the dice, go early and it'll be done.

• Advertisement

What part of the country are you in?

Get your name out there and work will roll in ,grass measuring now part of derogation so lads will have to do it ,de horning calves I’ve a lad that comes 3 times during spring ,invaluable .the only thing in insist on is powerhosing his crate ,wellies and etc and disinfecting them before he enters my calf shed .soil sampling also another one I’d add to list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,433 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Anyone here in the johnes control programme?

Green&Red wrote: »
    Anyone here in the johnes control programme?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

What part of the country are you in?

In Laois , thanks for replys and what would a lad charge for the dehorning i suppose itd be 3€ a calf or that? Soil sampling probably a fair one too might be a bit late for this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,351 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Have a read of this article in the journal regarding testing calves/herds during covid 19. The requirement to have calves tested for internal movement over 42 days old has been waved until 1st of April. Calves destined for export still require a tb test over 42 days old. It also states there is a 28 day grace period for a herd that goes over its annual TB test where the herd can still trade but after 28 days it is locked up until a clear test. This does not apply to herds that are already restricted.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/calf-tb-testing-flexibilities-extended-into-february-595051

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

In Laois , thanks for replys and what would a lad charge for the dehorning i suppose itd be 3€ a calf or that? Soil sampling probably a fair one too might be a bit late for this year

€3a bud be more like it.charge them dairy men plenty anyway if you do start up.

Enough folk working for little. Very busy the same lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,351 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Our Vet had awful problems trying to source adrenacaine (local anesthetic) in the last couple of years so we could debud calves.

Years ago we used to be able to buy a couple of 500ml bottles of Norocaine and that would do the calves that we reared.

Prices from dairy sale in New Ross today. Anything in-calf made big money but maidens from 2019 were cull prices

https://www.livestock-live.com/OnlineCatalogue-WRM?op=list

Prices from dairy sale in New Ross today. Anything in-calf made big money but maidens from 2019 were cull prices

Looks like the maidens just made maiden prices, same as if they were 2020 maidens.
    I take it in calf heifers made 17-2000 and cows averaged 14-1500?
    Wold these have been springing/ softening, I assume calving date was reflected in terms price?

• Advertisement

600- 700 was always the price of maidens.
    We're in 2021 now too so maidens heading for two years of age wouldn't appeal.

600- 700 was always the price of maidens.
    We're in 2021 now too so maidens heading for two years of age wouldn't appeal.

Only way to increase value there imo would have been to serve Jan 1st and sell later as autumn calving heifers. Some lads go mad for the extra size...

Looks like the maidens just made maiden prices, same as if they were 2020 maidens.
    I take it in calf heifers made 17-2000 and cows averaged 14-1500?
    Wold these have been springing/ softening, I assume calving date was reflected in terms price?

I didn’t look at it live but there’s videos of each animal in the ring if you want to have a look. That seems to be the run of prices alright. No maidens from 2020. I guess the man selling gives them an extra year to grow

Only way to increase value there imo would have been to serve Jan 1st and sell later as autumn calving heifers. Some lads go mad for the extra size...

Is there much of a demand for autumn calves? It might be a back up plan for me if some of the heifers I bought don’t go in calf on time for Spring 2022

Suckler lads you mean who calve every 18 months!!

A well done animal should have reached size and calve down at 2.
    A fair guess is these are from a jobbers yard with nothing spent on them.
    Same lad could have been worried about calving down with mastitis or have no milking facilities in place.

Is there much of a demand for autumn calves? It might be a back up plan for me if some of the heifers I bought don’t go in calf on time for Spring 2022

Yes, if they're milky, a lively trade for them in Kilkenny all last Autumn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

Suckler lads you mean who calve every 18 months!!

A well done animal should have reached size and calve down at 2.
    A fair guess is these are from a jobbers yard with nothing spent on them.
    Same lad could have been worried about calving down with mastitis or have no milking facilities in place.

From what i see there's plenty of dairy cows that only calve every 18 months!!

tanko wrote: »
    From what i see there's plenty of dairy cows that only calve every 18 months!!

Yes in the north and France.

Yes in the north and France.

I'd say theres a good few here too. A dairy farmer bought an angus bull off us before Christmas. Calving all year round, great milk figure but terrible fertility and calving index. This was the first bull they had ever bought. The aim was to tighten up calving, have 2 blocks and improve his fertility in the ebi

• Advertisement

I'd say theres a good few here too. A dairy farmer bought an angus bull off us before Christmas. Calving all year round, great milk figure but terrible fertility and calving index. This was the first bull they had ever bought. The aim was to tighten up calving, have 2 blocks and improve his fertility in the ebi
    And his first foray into milking crossbreds.. :pac: Polly milkers.

I'd better stop now..

We'll have all pollys ourselves this year on all the cows. Fr/hol bull was with the heifers.
    A good complaint was this year was I'd normally cull 8,9 or 10 not in calf. After the black bull. I think there's only 4 not in calf.

Advertisement