Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good calving cameras / security cameras

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭emaherx

Timmaay wrote: »
    Whats my best bet (and best value lol) for either a bullet or ptz 2 or 4mp wifi camera at the minute, from a definite European or uk stockist? I'm not arsed with a straight from Asia job that takes weeks and get stung for custom's.

Think I'll go with Hikvision for most future CCTV needs, but I don't see many Bullet type WiFi options.

Reolink are getting good reviews and seem popular for WiFi Cameras including completely Wireless Battery/Solar options. A few posters on here were discussing the 4G version.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

And we are live :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

When routing the ethernet cable in the sheds do you need to put it in conduit or is external grade conduit sufficient alone?

Starting my system install soon. The main issue is how to connect to house. I could use a wireless setup, but I've a strong preference for a wired setup.
    Plan is to install a PoE NVR setup with a single PTZ covering the main part of the shed. Additional cameras to be added in time to cover the dead spots and some additional security grade cameras to cover exterior/machinery feeding back into the NVR.
    No decision made yet on the brands. Seems most of the big operators go for Hikvision, Dahau or Annke.

Should have done this long ago, but I need the threat of a cow calving to spur me into action. Hopefully Brexit hasn't screwed things up for purchasing.

Hardwiring the cable from the router in house out to the shed may have a joint in the garage as pulling the full distance might be too awkward. will try to investigate this weekend into the some potential conduit already in the ground.

Also would anyone use the HiLook series from Hikvision or should we just be looking directly at Hikvision brand?

There is nothing wrong with the HiLook by Hikvision Products.

The 2 DVR's I have are the same model number but branded differently, one is HiLook and the other is HiWatch. I think Hilook is the new name for HiWatch products.

I've read that the professional Hikvision versions have more AI features for image recognition which is the biggest difference but will hardly effect monitoring cows. Although my DVR's seem to have plenty of these features anyway, I'm actually a bit curious to know what the extra features might be.

Here is a link to me playing with some of the smart features.
    https://farmer-eds-shed.com/farm-cctv-calving-and-security-cameras-with-iot-intergration/

Unless the Professional versions can detect a cow in labour I'm not sure what else it may have to offer.

These guys however do claim to have such features
    https://www.herdeye.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Going to bring internet from house to shed via receiver for now
    Long term is bring CAT5 from house to garage to shed
    Intend to put lan cameras in the shed
    Without using a dvr is there a way to hook up the camera to be viewed on my phone or a pc?

Going to bring internet from house to shed via receiver for now
    Long term is bring CAT5 from house to garage to shed
    Intend to put lan cameras in the shed
    Without using a dvr is there a way to hook up the camera to be viewed on my phone or a pc?

Yes, most IP cameras don't require a DVR or NVR to connect via phone or PC. Obviously check specs of anything you buy but the NVR only supplies centralized management and storage for your IP cameras.

Get cameras of the same brand and they can usually be displayed simultaneously in their phone apps.

Same for PC if there is an application available, but if they are browser viewable only on PC then you'll only be able to view one per browser tab at a time.

emaherx wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with the HiLook by Hikvision Products.

Thanks for the reply. Do you run your cable in conduit or can the external grade stuff just be clipped to the timbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭893bet

On my Reolink 4g after one week where I logged in 20-30 odd times the first two days and 5-10 times every day since then usually for 1-2 minutes each time.

I used less than 0.2 gb of data, battery is showing at 66 percent, and it never once failed to make a connection.

My free week with 48 is a success so will def sign up with them.

Thanks for the reply. Do you run your cable in conduit or can the external grade stuff just be clipped to the timbers?

No, I've not used conduit to run the cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

893bet wrote: »
    How much is gomo a month?

Order a 48 one, you can do it online and you get 7 days free to test so no risk. 8 quid a month after that.

Have done and its working perfectly.

Not sure what the gomo issue was, it was borrowed from a phone anyway and was only ever to be temporary, might have needed a reset or something.

Great success so far. Once in a while it takes a couple of goes to connect but very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

893bet wrote: »
    Reolink GO 3G/4G LTE Outdoor Surveillance Camera incl. Solar Panel, 1080p IP Camera, Wireless with Battery, Two-Way Audio, Night Vision in Colour and PIR Sensor (Not suitable for LAN or WiFi). https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07WVZFTMQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GmcbGb7JJX6PJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It’s 320 quid there now but there is and 80 “voucher” showing up for me.

It was 300 last week when I bought making it 218.

B4-CE9-B81-B1-EB-4402-A1-AB-F7-B463-BD254-A.png

I will post some screen shots of camera quality when I get a chance.
    Is there any of these that are just plug in rather than solar, I ordered a DVR and it never came from Amazon.co.uk. need something fairly fast

How good are the solar ones for out farms?

I've got an out farm and I'd like to put up a camera in it and eventually maybe add a couple of yard cameras too as there is machinery there. Do these cheap cameras from Amazon etc fit the bill? Just wondering how I could integrate them one site and pay out for only a single sim.

There is another outfarm approx 3.5km as the crow flies - but no within line of sight. I presume it would be a stand alone system too?

There are Wifi versions as well, which is what you'll require if you plan on using multiple cameras with a single sim.

Not sure how reliable those solar cameras will be here in winter. I don't think it would matter to many of the posters who were discussing them here earlier as they bought them as portable calving cameras and don't mind taking them in for an occasional charge.

If you are planning on a reliable security setup as well as calving then you may want to consider a solar panel, charge controller and battery. Most cheap WiFi cameras are 12V as are most 3G/4G routers. (although I'd still use a voltage regulator too) You could always use it for lighting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/Audio-1920P-IP-WLAN-%C3%9Cberwachungskamera-Funk-Outdoor-CCTV-PTZ-Smart-Home-IR-Nacht/392988198489

I ordered 2 of these to replace my cheap and nasty cctv system. Decent specs and the app to use them has reasonable enough reviews. I'll probably connect one using a nanostation to where my 4g router is, hopefully the other one will link via WiFi to the outdoor router that covers most the yard here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Anything handy to mount outside.? I think something is chasing the yearlings in the other yard. Trail camera type job that I could mount facing outside the yard/ barrier. No need for live views just something that capture whatever may appear there. Would need to work in the dark

There are Wifi versions as well, which is what you'll require if you plan on using multiple cameras with a single sim.

Not sure how reliable those solar cameras will be here in winter. I don't think it would matter to many of the posters who were discussing them here earlier as they bought them as portable calving cameras and don't mind taking them in for an occasional charge.

If you are planning on a reliable security setup as well as calving then you may want to consider a solar panel, charge controller and battery. Most cheap WiFi cameras are 12V as are most 3G/4G routers. (although I'd still use a voltage regulator too) You could always use it for lighting too.

We'd be in the shed every day doing feeding and sometimes the generator would be powered so I thought that maybe an old tractor battery being charged from the generator plus a trickle charge from the panels would keep it all ticking over.

What size of data sim would be needed - might just be as handy in the long run to run two cameras independently.

Lads earlier were recommending 48.ie for sim card, think its about €8 for 100GB which sounds good.

Couple of solar panels could also reduce the need for running the generator as often.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Anything handy to mount outside.? I think something is chasing the yearlings in the other yard. Trail camera type job that I could mount facing outside the yard/ barrier. No need for live views just something that capture whatever may appear there. Would need to work in the dark

You could look at the Reolink cameras.
    What sort of area are you looking at? most of the cheap night vision cameras depend on infra red LEDs for light so their vision is like using a torch, its fine in a shed or pointing down a yard but will only have a beam pointed out across a wide open area like a field with fairly limited range.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

You could look at the Reolink cameras.
    What sort of area are you looking at? most of the cheap night vision cameras depend on infra red LEDs for light so their vision is like using a torch, its fine in a shed or pointing down a yard but will only have a beam pointed out across a wide open area like a field with fairly limited range.

Was planning on pointing it at the area outside the feed barrier, so not really across a whole field, just far enough out that the cattles heads wouldn't set it off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭orm0nd

for any one that might not have coverage from 3/48.ie/tesco mobile etc, and might have from vodafone

vodafone do a v sim card (it is used mainly in vehicle tracing devices etc,) it will power 1 reolink cam or similar if the cam is compatiable , it's €10 once off and 3 or 4 € monthly

one of the cams went down here overnight, back up now but I thinking either the psu and/or the nano station is failing, have spare will change around when i get a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭grange mac

Lads need some assistance here if ye don't mind. Have a newly wired shed and plan was get in WiFi via router that takes sim card. Still working on that as have old router here and was told it can power a dongle with simcard in it.

Question is though can I have 2 separate cameras and have one loop recording and one just viewing at same time?

The ideas is one for 2 legged vermin and one in different shed looking at cattle. Seen previous posts about reolink and they look the part. Just want to confirm no other option available to me. Cameras will be about 30 ft apart and one will be close to router.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

I've done a lot of tinkering with cameras over the past 3 years. This is what I would recommend to anyone who has some sort of mobile coverage in their shed (I'm using Vodafone prepay, costs me €20 per month and I don't top up outside of calving season):

One of these, insert the SIM card of your choice:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUAWEI-Unlocked-B311s-220-Worldwide-Renewed/dp/B07ZFVMJN4/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=4g+router&qid=1612176831&s=computers&sr=1-5

Buy a short ethernet cable and connect to this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Internet-Splitter/dp/B07PYSNSDD/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=powered+ethernet+switch&qid=1612176892&s=computers&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExU1FHMUhWWUkwTDFEJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjI4MjU2MTc3VlNIVUo5V0QwSiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTQ1NDA5NkpTQ0cyTEpHOFRKJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Put the router and switch into one of these (You may need to ventilate it):
    https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/wall-boxes/7755788/?cm_mmc=IE-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_IE_EN_Enclosures_%26_Server_Racks_Whoop_ME+(2)-_-(IE:Whoop!)+Wall+Boxes-_-7755788&matchtype=&pla-339242067534&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4pLFksLI7gIVAmHmCh1t8QgAEAQYAiABEgKAFPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Buy some IP Pan tilt zoom cameras off Wish, approx €30-40 each (or similar from Amazon, but will be more expensive)
    Buy the appropriate lengths of ethernet cable from Amazon to connect them back to the switch.

It's really simple to set up, a child could do it. You can get wifi cameras too, but ethernet cables are really cheap and make the system more reliable.

I've done a lot of tinkering with cameras over the past 3 years. This is what I would recommend to anyone who has some sort of mobile coverage in their shed (I'm using Vodafone prepay, costs me €20 per month and I don't top up outside of calving season):

One of these, insert the SIM card of your choice:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/HUAWEI-Unlocked-B311s-220-Worldwide-Renewed/dp/B07ZFVMJN4/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=4g+router&qid=1612176831&s=computers&sr=1-5

Buy a short ethernet cable and connect to this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Internet-Splitter/dp/B07PYSNSDD/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=powered+ethernet+switch&qid=1612176892&s=computers&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExU1FHMUhWWUkwTDFEJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjI4MjU2MTc3VlNIVUo5V0QwSiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTQ1NDA5NkpTQ0cyTEpHOFRKJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Put the router and switch into one of these (You may need to ventilate it):
    https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/wall-boxes/7755788/?cm_mmc=IE-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_IE_EN_Enclosures_%26_Server_Racks_Whoop_ME+(2)-_-(IE:Whoop!)+Wall+Boxes-_-7755788&matchtype=&pla-339242067534&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4pLFksLI7gIVAmHmCh1t8QgAEAQYAiABEgKAFPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Buy some IP Pan tilt zoom cameras off Wish, approx €30-40 each (or similar from Amazon, but will be more expensive)
    Buy the appropriate lengths of ethernet cable from Amazon to connect them back to the switch.

It's really simple to set up, a child could do it. You can get wifi cameras too, but ethernet cables are really cheap and make the system more reliable.

Thanks
    I gather the switch means you don’t need power going to the individual camera?
    If you’re having more than 1 camera do the all have to be the same brand?

Thanks
    I gather the switch means you don’t need power going to the individual camera?
    If you’re having more than 1 camera do the all have to be the same brand?

I don't think that switch has PoE so each camera would require its own power feed.

You'd want this one - just need to ensure that the sum of the power demands of your cameras does not exceed the max rating of the switch (in this case 55W):
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-8-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B072BDGQR8/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=powered%2Bethernet%2Bswitch%2BPOE&qid=1612181559&s=computers&sr=1-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFORFVLNTdGTFRYUkkmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA4MzQ4MDQyNEpXSFJXRElOWFlZJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1MjIxMjNHTDBaNFRYNjBJMEwmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1

Should not need to be same brand and there is no integration into a DVR/PVR.

It is setting up a network in your shed - you could connect a printer or a laptop or whatever you want into the switch and it should work.

I don't think that switch has PoE so each camera would require its own power feed.

You'd want this one - just need to ensure that the sum of the power demands of your cameras does not exceed the max rating of the switch (in this case 55W):
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-8-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B072BDGQR8/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=powered%2Bethernet%2Bswitch%2BPOE&qid=1612181559&s=computers&sr=1-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFORFVLNTdGTFRYUkkmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA4MzQ4MDQyNEpXSFJXRElOWFlZJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1MjIxMjNHTDBaNFRYNjBJMEwmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1

Should not need to be same brand and there is no integration into a DVR/PVR.

It is setting up a network in your shed - you could connect a printer or a laptop or whatever you want into the switch and it should work.

Thanks
    Saw this for power requirement on a camera

Operating Power: DC12V;PoE(802.3af) DNR: 3D DNR

For a max of 55A on a switch, How do you work out how many of these cameras can be used

Thanks
    Saw this for power requirement on a camera

Operating Power: DC12V;PoE(802.3af) DNR: 3D DNR

For a max of 55A on a switch, How do you work out how many of these cameras can be used

DC12V is the voltage for an external power source.

The POE voltage would actually be around 48V

You need to find out the wattage of the camera or Amps and work out wattage.

The switch will have a max amps per port and a max amps for the switch but probably not able to put out max amps per port on all ports at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

In simple terms, the router, switch and each camera will need a mains electricity supply. I did this with glorified extension leads to the cameras.
    If you find a router with more than 1 ethernet port, you won't need a switch and can run the ethernet cable directly from the camera to the router. You'll still need an electricity supply for each camera though.

In simple terms, the router, switch and each camera will need a mains electricity supply. I did this with glorified extension leads to the cameras.
    If you find a router with more than 1 ethernet port, you won't need a switch and can run the ethernet cable directly from the camera to the router. You'll still need an electricity supply for each camera though.

In your particular setup yes, but as this thread has shown there are many ways to skin a cat.

For ip cameras it is usually easier to power from the ethernet cable. Either using active POE if the cameras support it or passive POE using simple POE injectors meaning all devices can be powered at the same sockets as the router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Question, my set up is as follows, couple of cameras in shed, they are hardwired POE to some sort of switch or router in hayshed, that switch/router then sends it via wifi to a router in attic of house which is then wired down to the dvr if that makes sense.

I can view cameras on tv or on the laptop or phone as long as i'm in range of the wifi in the attic, to view the feed on my phone is it just a matter of feeding the dvr an internet supply? or can i feed the router in the attic the internet supply.?

Sorry if that's confusing! i used to be sort of ok ish with electronics but lack of practice and i find myself a little lost.
    Thanks.

Advertisement