Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Good calving cameras / security cameras

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Hi guys can the mobile routers take a regular phone sim or do you need a data sim for it to work? Looking at this one linked earlier in the thread

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07S7DMY3H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_dlC_7UnWFbW4CSZZV?psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭emaherx

Hi guys can the mobile routers take a regular phone sim or do you need a data sim for it to work? Looking at this one linked earlier in the thread

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07S7DMY3H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_dlC_7UnWFbW4CSZZV?psc=1

No reason a phone sim won't work.

• Site Banned Posts: 94 ✭✭Kinetica2019

Trying to follow thread - getting confused with POE etc.

I think there's nanostation on a neighbours house. There's like a rectangular block on the house looking at another block on the shed and I think that's connected to the camera.

Question, If I wanted to put another camera on, can I use that nanostation aswell? i.e point the wifi camera at the nanostation on the house?

Any good youtube channels for learning about this stuff?

emaherx wrote: »
    You don't need a power cable, you connect a short network cable from your router to the power supply then a much longer network cable from the power supply to the unit on your chimney. This is the Power over ethernet bit, it means you use the same cable for power and data.

The difference in the 2 units is speed, cheaper one has a max speed of 300mbs and the other is 900mbs. Either should work for your purpose but there is not much difference in price.

Dose your camera have an ethernet option or just Wifi? If it has an Ethernet option I'd run the cable for simplest setup.

Stupid question, but is the power supply basically like a box? One end goes into the socket, the other end, ethernet cable to router and also ethernet cable to nanostation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Stupid question, but is the power supply basically like a box? One end goes into the socket, the other end, ethernet cable to router and also ethernet cable to nanostation?

Yes, Exactly that. It'll likely have a "POE" port that goes to the Nanostation (or other equipment) to be powered, and a "LAN" port that goes to the router on that side or to your camera on the other side. And a power input of course, unless the "box" is plugged in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I think there's nanostation on a neighbours house. There's like a rectangular block on the house looking at another block on the shed and I think that's connected to the camera.

Question, If I wanted to put another camera on, can I use that nanostation aswell? i.e point the wifi camera at the nanostation on the house?

You run the cable from the nanostation on the shed to a "switch", and then a cable to each of the cameras.

If they're wifi cameras, then run the cable from the nanostation to a Wireless access point, then both cameras can connected wirelessly to that.

The nanostation setup simply acts like a cable between your house and your shed.

I think I caused more confusion about POE than helped.
    I'll try the simple version.

A network cable has 8 wires inside.
    For upto 100mbs networks you use 4 of the wires which leaves 4 free.
    Passive POE simply "injects" power on the unused wires but only from the PSU to the device which can be powered this way. (very important that this powered ethernet is not pluged into your router)
    The cable which goes from your router to the PSU simply goes to a port on the power supply which dosent connect the 4 unsed wires to anything but connects the 4 data wires to the data wires of the cable which has power.
    Really none of this matters if you get passive POE equipment supplied with its own PSU as you just follow the instructions.

There is a network industry standard POE (often called active POE) which is used for moe expensive network equipment including some cameras which works in a completely different way and uses higher voltages than most passive POE equipmnet. Some implementations even allow 1000mbs as they can add power to data lines. These are more sophisticated and devices can negotiate how they provide/consume power. And you can ignore this unless you are trying to power POE camera's off of a POE switch.

Below are names of Industry standard POE
    Name IEEE Standard Max. Power per Port
    PoE IEEE 802.3af 15.4 W
    PoE+ IEEE 802.3at 30 W
    PoE++ IEEE 802.3bt (Type 3) 60 W
    PoE++ IEEE 802.3bt (Type 4) 100 W

To keep it simple :D
    If it comes with a passive POE PSU, use that follow the instructions.
    If you come across a POE network switch and think great I can power all of my devices from it, then and probaly only then do you need to think about what I've said.

Just as an extra bit which may be usefull for any any equipmnet that you wish had some form of POE but dosent.

Any low power DC network device can be converted to passive POE using 2 POE injector cables. One to add power to ethernet cable and one to split it back off.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HSeaMall-Passive-Ethernet-Injector-Splitter/dp/B076LR5KMF/ref=sr_1_13?crid=3BRRWTOTMO2TA&dchild=1&keywords=poe+splitter+12v&qid=1606556161&sprefix=poe+spli%2Caps%2C189&sr=8-13

you just use the devices existing PSU, the only draw back is it reduces 1000mbs equipment to 100mbs, as is the case with all Passive POE devices.

Any good youtube channels for learning about this stuff?

Why do you want to connect a camera to your neighbours network?
    Is it for you neighbour?

The nanostations are most likely configured as point to point (so wireless replacement for a cable)

They can be configured point to multi point, but you'd most likely need another nanostation if on a different building. They are not designed to be general WiFi access points and often only support 5Ghz networks which most camera's don't.

If the same building as an existing camera an access point or switch would be the simple solution as suggested by previous poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭westlander

Would you need an outdoor network cable for that master/slave setup like this or is it overkill? (For network cable from power supply to chimney)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/MutecPower-Outdoor-waterproof-Ethernet-Network/dp/B00EOTHDWQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=waterproof+network+cable&qid=1606558807&sprefix=waterproof+network+cable&sr=8-3

• Advertisement

I've used the normal stuff outside a few times and it dosen't last the PVC coating will breakdown over time. The outdoor stuff is not going to break the bank.

The indoor stuff has been fine inside sheds though.

Avns1s wrote: »
    You run the cable from the nanostation on the shed to a "switch", and then a cable to each of the cameras.

If they're wifi cameras, then run the cable from the nanostation to a Wireless access point, then both cameras can connected wirelessly to that.

The nanostation setup simply acts like a cable between your house and your shed.

Wireless access point meaning a router?

I get confused with adding a router, how they're linked to the main router etc. lol

Like I had cameras before and it mentioned things like camera IP addresses and entering router settings etc.

Why do you want to connect a camera to your neighbours network?
    Is it for you neighbour?

The nanostations are most likely configured as point to point (so wireless replacement for a cable)

They can be configured point to multi point, but you'd most likely need another nanostation if on a different building. They are not designed to be general WiFi access points and often only support 5Ghz networks which most camera's don't.

If the same building as an existing camera an access point or switch would be the simple solution as suggested by previous poster.

No I'm thinking for myself, and then in future if any additions are needed.

I'll try get a look at the set up. I was thinking if you had a second camera in the same shed but in a different position. From what I read here, I think the nanostation in the shed should be going to a switch and then from that switch the cameras are all connected.

If the cameras support POE, you don't need seperate power supply for cameras if they're wired? If they're wifi cameras they'd need regular power supply right?

Wireless access point meaning a router?

I get confused with adding a router, how they're linked to the main router etc. lol

Like I had cameras before and it mentioned things like camera IP addresses and entering router settings etc.

Not necessarily but.
    you can get access points that are just access points and require little to no configuring. Domestic routers happen to have built in WiFi access points, you can use an old one if you have it lying around but you need to reconfigure it so its not a router any more. Usually just turning off DHCP and connecting to your main router (or the bridge port) via one of its ethernet ports but not a WAN port will make it act as an Access point.

Usually you can leave your cameras at default DHCP setting and allow your router assign the IP addresses, so you don't need to worry about them especially IF your camera APP uses P2P

you can use an APP like Fing on your mobile to give you all of the addresses currently assigned on whatever network your phone is connected to by WiFi.

Fing
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.overlook.android.fing&hl=en_IE&gl=US

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/fing-network-scanner/id430921107

I'll try get a look at the set up. I was thinking if you had a second camera in the same shed but in a different position. From what I read here, I think the nanostation in the shed should be going to a switch and then from that switch the cameras are all connected.

If the cameras support POE, you don't need seperate power supply for cameras if they're wired? If they're wifi cameras they'd need regular power supply right?

Yea if 2 wired cameras in the Shed then use a switch.
    If 2 wireless cameras then used an access point (or old WiFi router)

I'll beat POE into you yet.......................................................

OK, So if cameras are Active POE, then buy a switch conforming to the same standard and no need for any more PSU's

If the camera's are Passive POE then you connect a seperate injector and PSU between each switch port and camera so you can use a cheaper switch.
    OR something like this https://shopdelta.eu/adapter-to-power-supply-via-twisted-pair-cable-poe-uni4_l2_p6216.html between switch and cameras and one power supply but you'd need to make sure the power supply has sufficent wattage to power the number of cameras that you have.

WiFi cameras will need power run anyway, so I'd recommend wired cameras and switches for the simplest setup.

you can get battery powered wifi cams but I'm not going to recommend them for calving cameras.

If at this stage you are still not sure about POE you can also just plug in most cameras using normal DC power supplies and completely ignore the existence of POE. It will just mean 2 cables per camera instead of 1.

Or Buy a DVR kit with the number of cameras that you want and use the supplied cables for power and video. This way you only have one network device to manage with usually 4 8 or 16 cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭westlander

If at this stage you are still not sure about POE you can also just plug in most cameras using normal DC power supplies and completely ignore the existence of POE. It will just mean 2 cables per camera instead of 1.

Or Buy a DVR kit with the number of cameras that you want and use the supplied cables for power and video. This way you only have one network device to manage with usually 4 8 or 16 cameras.

emaherx, you might know the answer here.

Will this kuwfi access point work with a 4g three network router and 2.4ghz ip camera?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Z4R827X/ref=pe_2515581_431334481_fb_remail%5Fprodpg

It seems to be a 5.8g access point so probably won’t work ?

Think I should have bought the 300mbps model as that one is compatible

Thanks

It's not uncommon for these type bridges to be 5 Ghz only, they are not designed to be access points just a wireless link between 2 network segments. Basically they are just and alternative to running a long length of cable between 2 buildings. They talk to each other using wireless but connect to wired devices at either end.

So if you can connect your router to one by ethernet cable and can connect your camera to the other using an ethernet cable then it will work.

If your camera is wireless only and no ethernet option then you just connect a normal Wi-Fi access point to the second bridge device and use it to connect the camera. If you have an old Wi-Fi router it can most likely be converted into an access point by turning off its DHCP function.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Emaherx, we have a shed that is 1.2 kms away from the house. We have 4 cameras (3 PTZ,1 fixed) on a 2.4ghz network into an NVR . It works good through lots of trees. The query is in regards expansion, would it handle an 8 channel network switch on the same nanostations or is it as well go with 2 new nanonstations?

PS Sorry for the hijack.

Emaherx, we have a shed that is 1.2 kms away from the house. We have 4 cameras (3 PTZ,1 fixed) on a 2.4ghz network into an NVR . It works good through lots of trees. The query is in regards expansion, would it handle an 8 channel network switch on the same nanostations or is it as well go with 2 new nanonstations?

PS Sorry for the hijack.

If you have an already working setup, then using an 8 port switch should not be an issue.

What's in your current setup? A 5 port switch? 4 cameras and an uplink?

The network traffic from the cameras to the NVR won't cross the wireless link as once the switch learns their mac addresses it will direct traffic directly from camera to nvr.

The bandwidth available on the wireless link will reduce over distance and number of objects passed through and further again when trees are fully covered in leaves. But if you don't have an issue now with 4 camera's then you'll be fine with more, if there is an issue displaying all feeds at once then just view 4 at a time instead.

• Advertisement

If any one is interested, here is my current CCTV setup.
    It's still a bit of a work in progress
    https://farmer-eds-shed.com/farm-cctv-calving-and-security-cameras-with-iot-intergration/

I haven't currently covered the network setup in the yard, as its mostly a mess but may do in the future if I get around to tidying it up. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭893bet

Anyone used a 4g system?

Something like the below?

Reolink 3G/4G LTE Solar Security Camera Outdoor Rechargeable Battery Wireless IP Camera 1080p with Color Night Vision Weatherproof PIR Motion Sensor Surveillance Camera, Reolink Go with Solar Panel https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WVZFTMQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_aln9FbAPNYXVR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

I stumbled across this thread. My bro is farmer and looking to set up something. His original plan was to install in my parents house which is about 100m away from the shed. But after reading this thread I was thinking of installing into his house which has a direct view and is about 500m away from the shed.

Problem 1: I doubt his router supports POE, so I guess people are slotting in a POE supported device to connect to the Access point?

On the other side, I guess I would need similar, anyone using a cheap one? thanks

I stumbled across this thread. My bro is farmer and looking to set up something. His original plan was to install in my parents house which is about 100m away from the shed. But after reading this thread I was thinking of installing into his house which has a direct view and is about 500m away from the shed.

Problem 1: I doubt his router supports POE, so I guess people are slotting in a POE supported device to connect to the Access point?

On the other side, I guess I would need similar, anyone using a cheap one? thanks

Quite often a POE injector comes with the wireless bridges, so he shouldn't require anything else.

Quite often a POE injector comes with the wireless bridges, so he shouldn't require anything else.

Could you direct connect two cameras into the bridge?

Could you direct connect two cameras into the bridge?

You would need a network switch as well to connect 2 or more wired IP Cameras.

You would need a network switch as well to connect 2 or more wired IP Cameras.

This is the one I was going to buy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KuWFi-Wireless-Supports-Transmission-Distance/dp/B07Z4KHHLN/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1GN0SVN8NP3F1&dchild=1&keywords=point%2Bto%2Bpoint%2Bwifi&qid=1606133808&sprefix=point%2Bto%2B%2Caps%2C199&sr=8-3&th=1

Has two ports so connect both directly? or I am trying to simplify it too much :-)

Or I might for phase 1 just connect one camera in and can buy another later on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭893bet

893bet wrote: »
    Anyone used a 4g system?

Something like the below?

Reolink 3G/4G LTE Solar Security Camera Outdoor Rechargeable Battery Wireless IP Camera 1080p with Color Night Vision Weatherproof PIR Motion Sensor Surveillance Camera, Reolink Go with Solar Panel https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WVZFTMQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_aln9FbAPNYXVR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Just bought one of these.

218 quid from Amazon German.

8 quid a month for a data plan from “48”.

Very handy that is it very mobile. Battery can last up to a month with out charge.

Could be handy for watching for a cow bulling in shed during the day or in the summer to see (well at least know they are in the field they should be, not a replacement for looking for signs of illness) the cattle on an out farm etc.

Will set up and report back.

This is the one I was going to buy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KuWFi-Wireless-Supports-Transmission-Distance/dp/B07Z4KHHLN/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1GN0SVN8NP3F1&dchild=1&keywords=point%2Bto%2Bpoint%2Bwifi&qid=1606133808&sprefix=point%2Bto%2B%2Caps%2C199&sr=8-3&th=1

Has two ports so connect both directly? or I am trying to simplify it too much :-)

Or I might for phase 1 just connect one camera in and can buy another later on

Ok, it says in the description 2 LAN ports, so I can't see why not.
    A switch to add more ports won't break the bank either way.

• Advertisement

Ok, it says in the description 2 LAN ports, so I can't see why not.
    A switch to add more ports won't break the bank either way.

It's my brother who is a farmer.....100k on a tractor but no f**king chance spending 20 euro on a network switch :P:P

Advertisement