Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Snap, T0-180Hours Only

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

burger1979 wrote: »
    If the 'snow' does come to fruition for the East coast, can I ask what effect the Isle of Man would have on blocking certain sections of the east coast from snow? We seen it last year with the north East winds bringing the clouds over the Irish sea from England/Scotland and then dumping their load (so to speak on the Isle of Man) and these clouds then disappearing.

The Isle of Man is perfectly posistioned to create a rain shadow in a showery regime - not so in a frontal situation. Yes, that would likely occur again but it depends on the wind direction. First thing is first - get the Easterly in place first.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Considering the upgrades in the past 24 hour nothing can be ruled out in terms of further upgrades and shifts in pattern west.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

This has two years ago all written over it.

A rain front went over the East during the day and on to the West . It was due to come back to the East that night when it was cold and give snow. Mullingar etc got the snow but the front broke before it hit Dublin.

So i believe this will happen or i will be running a race in bloody cold conditions in Raheny:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

darkman2 wrote: »
    I am actually not focusing on Monday tbh but more after that. Monday looks "interesting" but no more then that at this point. Will still have to be watched carefully because as has been said a bit of tweaking and there could well be sleet and snow to low levels.

Sure DM2, I appreciate that.

I'm more just throwing in my comments/tuppence as some may interpret this thread as a 'it's going to snow thread' and we all know the fall out that can happen when it doesn't! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Could we all go over to england and help blow the cold air all the way to the west coast of ireland. just a suggestion :pac:

• Advertisement

Met Eireann not biting on this, rain and temp of 8 for Sunday:eek:

That's serious stuff coming into Europe

Rtavn1082.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I find these charts good for pin pointing the cold boundary.

Here it is @ 48 hours

We need the dark blue boundary to push in over the east coast in future runs ;)

Rtavn487.png

And @ 72 hours

Rtavn727.png

Question: See the green part running up from the south, what is that ???? Any of these?...Overwhelmed azores high weakened by the cold or is it warmth carried on the tail of the jet stream? or what?

Can't quite figure out what overwhelms the highs... some charts had warm pushing up with some extreme cold either side, I would have thought that it would have been squashed... how does it fend off the cold? (prob some really simple phyiscs law I am missing here, pardon my ignorance)
    Thanks

Rtavn1262.png

Blackius - whatdoyah reckon - is it gonna make it? :D

Good GFS run and increasingly exceptionally cold. We never get a proper undercut from the Atlantic but we never really need it.

Rtavn1442.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

Ha...take a look at the ukmo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭highdef

latest GFS run is showing a massive upgrade, from what I can see, more so in the medium term. I was all set for things to fall apart but not this

blackius wrote: »
    Ha...take a look at the ukmo :D

I prefer looking at this Siberian goodness - thanks:D

Rtavn1682.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Yep 12Z GFS looks epic from +96hrs onwards- :D

This at +168hrs

h850t850eu.png

Heavy snow showers blowing in from the irish sea...

At +48 the cold air does not reach our east coast though :( so close...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Netweather is gone into meltdown and so is Meteociel, Great runs But its still the GFS:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Big upgrades all around today! As always just in case anyone has already managed to forget, :pac: remember that it can swing back the other just as fast.
    Although i must say even this recent turn in events has got me believing! /ramp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

My GOD look at the GFS, serious cold pours into europe:D:D:D

This is just rediculously cold

Rtavn1862.png

2010 would be balmy in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Jesus thats nippy:)

h850t850eu.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

everythings-coming-up-milhouse.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

*furiously varnishing snow sledges with mounting excitement*:D

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Ha, ha... just saw the GFS... no wonder they are gone mad over at Netweather!

But the serious cold is still in FI, beautiful to look at but will probably pegged back in the next run. Just goes to show what potential is actually in that easterly though... :cool:

Net weather forecast no snow for dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

GFS and the UKMO models mostly agreeing up to 144h were the UKMO stops, If the ECM take's the same line this evening this is going to be fantastic stuff.

UW144-21.GIF?27-17

h850t850eu.png

If we get the three models to agree its looking good very good.

UKMO 96hrs

Rukm961.gif

Some agreement at this timeframe now. It's important whilst post 96 hours looks nice and plausible on the GFS to keep a level perspective. We are good up to 120hrs atm IMO. Pretty solid agreement at this stage and i'm sure the ECM won't have any nasty surprise later. Winter proper starts from Monday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    If we get the three models to agree its looking good very good.

Basically the models largely agree the cold will make it across the UK since the Midnight 0z runs...at least as far as Snowdonia.

Now lets see how the models build it further by midday Saturday. Yesterday they only had the cold reaching to the East of the Pennines in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

oh bloody hell I think I'm going to be sick!!!! Maybe I should try to sleep for 3 days and by then it'll be sorted one way or the other

More support. GEM 120hrs

gem-0-120.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Alot more energy going south into the Atlantic on the jet stream. The GFS had the bulk of the energy going to Iceland and Greenland. Looks a whole lot different now.

hgt300.png

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

For us to have another 1982 the cold needs to move another 200 miles west, mug a few atlantic wet fronts like the one coming across on Sunday, and then freeze it hard in situ.

So far the models have shifted it 100 miles westwards, only 200 to go. However another 100 miles will give the East and Dublin some (perhaps a lot?) snow and as far as Sponge Bob is concerned ye are welcome to it. :D Sure it could be another 1933 .....never mind 1982..and I would be just as happy.

Now lets all be patient, what will happen will happen. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement