Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Snap, T0-180Hours Only

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

Su Campu wrote: »
    No need for the pm. I've been wrong before and admit so. I haven't been wrong on this yet as it hasn't happened yet, but if I turn out to be then no big deal. I am just giving an educated opinion on what I think will happen, which is more than most people here are doing. It just happens to be against what people want to hear and therefore is instantly thrown out.

As I said before, this forum has lost some good posters due to the attitude that prevails. It seems that Dr Galen's post the other day about this being a science forum has fallen on deaf ears and that you and hundreds of others want istead to whinge and whine instead of using science in the debate. Fair enough, if that's what you want, but I won't be a part of it.
    I have sent you,your pm before I saw this.
    I do not equate whinging and whining with sensible counterpoints which is what I'm doing.
    I'm not going to repeat the contents of the pm,I'm baffled enough by this exchange to be honest,I wasn't expecting it so lets leave that bit at that.

As for people only hearing what they want to hear,thats a property of weather fora,it's rife in netweather and TWO so it's to be expected here.The important thing is to respect other peoples right to their opinion's.
    I didn't diss at all what you said,I just said it could be wrong.
    Thats especially the case when we see the chopping and almost daily changing in the model output.

If we can't discourse like that without open resentment,then lol,it really is time for the white coats for us all because theres something inherently wrong.

Heh,I can't believe I'm writing this at all or have to :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Su Campu wrote: »
    No need for the pm. I've been wrong before and admit so. I haven't been wrong on this yet as it hasn't happened yet, but if I turn out to be then no big deal. I am just giving an educated opinion on what I think will happen, which is more than most people here are doing. It just happens to be against what people want to hear and therefore is instantly thrown out.

As I said before, this forum has lost some good posters due to the attitude that prevails. It seems that Dr Galen's post the other day about this being a science forum has fallen on deaf ears and that you and hundreds of others want istead to whinge and whine instead of using science in the debate. Fair enough, if that's what you want, but I won't be a part of it.

I think 90% of people in here listen when you post up a comment , I am one of them for sure , I may hope that you are wrong but I cant/dont argue with the science behind your reasoning as it always solid and there is a lot to be learned from reading you views.

Just because someone opposes your views does not mean they are discrediting your ideas , also not many people in here will be able to match the level of science and knowledge you provide in your postings, I think this needs to be taken into account.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sad how evidence based forecasters like SU find themselves marginalised by nothing more than hysteria on occasion. Especially when they cannot guarantee snow based on that same evidence. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Agreed I was more so looking at the wider synoptics , thats what I look at over there anyway.

I lived in London for 7 and a half years and it snowed twice in that time (decent snow I mean). Dublin is generally a lot colder than London region and heavier snowfall. The past three years produced very heavy snowfall in Dublin city and region and even last year when I went over to knightsbridge on 22 December there was hardly any snow around while in the centre of Dublin it lasted for weeks. Check the Irish Times and in general you will see that Dublin ir in average 2 or 3 degrees colder. It is further north I know but it also further west.

That's utter nonsense, London is far colder than Dublin in the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I think 90% of people in here listen when you post up a comment , I am one of them for sure , I may hope that you are wrong but I cant/dont argue with the science behind your reasoning as it always solid and there is a lot to be learned from reading you views.

Just because someone opposes your views does not mean they are discrediting your ideas , also not many people in here will be able to match the level of science and knowledge you provide in your postings, I think this needs to be taken into account.

Equating my opinion to someone hoping for something is not something I take lightly, and neither would anyone else.

I think a lot of people in this forum should take a leaf out of MT's, Deep Easterly's, Darkman's, etc. book and only post when there is something to post. There are pages and pages of drivel here which makes it impossible to take anything from.

Anyway, this has gone way off topic so I'll leave it at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭garyha

All weather forecasting beyond 3 to 5 days is seeing into the future....... I know alot of people on here cannot stand when someone dares to go against the general hopes and wishes but I entitiled to my opinion... and there will be no snow out of this system, expect major downgrades later today

Nope, most reasonable here are absolutely fine, if a little disappointed when it becomes apparent that what they'd hoped for didn't materialise. The problem with your two definitive declarations that it's game over and 0 percent chance are just irritating as its clearly obvious that it's all to play for, may not happen of course, but the potential is clearly there.

Expect major downgrades today? Not sure if trolling or just stupid as the saying goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Inquitus wrote: »
    That's utter nonsense, London is far colder than Dublin in the winter.

Not a chance.. look at the the papers and the forecasts..very rarely snows in London.. it can snow quite a bit in Kent with an easterly though but London escapes most of the time. I lived there for a long time and go over there enough..Dublin is generally significantly colder. As i say do a temperature check during winter months and you will see what I mean. However in Summer that is a different scenario. London is a lot warmer and dries too just like Paris. Paris is similar to Dublin in winter and a lot colder than London also.:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Not a chance.. look at the the papers and the forecasts..very rarely snows in London.. it can snow quite a bit in Kent with an easterly though but London escapes most of the time. I lived there for a long time and go over there enough..Dublin is generally significantly colder. As i say do a temperature check during winter months and you will see what I mean. However in Summer that is a different scenario. London is a lot warmer and dries too just like Paris. Paris is similar to Dublin in winter and a lot colder than London also.:D:D:D:D

Why not get the mean temps for the last 10 years for both areas, other than that your speculating .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Lads can we keep this on topic. I think the majority of people in here don't care whether Dublin is colder than London. The topic of discussion is the potential cold spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

A quick google shows the average low temp for london in the months nov dec jan and feb is 4.9, 2.7, 2.3 and 2.1

the same for dublin is 5.5, 4.3, 3.5 and 3.5. So as you can see london is a lot colder.

Anyway that is off topic, As SU alluded to the next 48 hours could turn interesting for the east coast but i don't hold out much hope. Looking forward to the 12zs to see what they throw up.

Oh and people, Be happy :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Drop it, this is not a thread about where it snows most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Still happy on NetWeather, as the battle ground on Monday is over the West of England. Models diverge, but the beast from the east could easily push West, apparently. If so Ireland becomes the battle ground.

The Met Office is claiming Feb to be well below average temperature in its extended outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Yeah Baraca, Give it a break and read that stats in the Newspaper!!
    Snowy Weekend next weekend for Dublin apparently!:D:D:D

baraca wrote: »
    A quick google shows the average low temp for london in the months nov dec jan and feb is 4.9, 2.7, 2.3 and 2.1

the same for dublin is 5.5, 4.3, 3.5 and 3.5. So as you can see london is a lot colder.

Anyway that is off topic, As SU alluded to the next 48 hours could turn interesting for the east coast but i don't hold out much hope. Looking forward to the 12zs to see what they throw up.

Oh and people, Be happy :)

As regard to all the other discussion about I knew/know no snow is coming, there will no longer any more posts about this unless there is sufficient evidence to support you argument.

Disagreeing is fine as long as the poster is not attacked.

Read the new charter.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056531690

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MizDorry

Am I allowed to say that I'm in the South of France and they've just issued a snow warning for us:
    http://actualite.lachainemeteo.com/alerte-meteo/communique-special-vigilance-meteo.php

The thread title doesn't specify Ireland... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭whataboutnow

I like the weather as much as anyone on this but Im so fed up of the constant bitchiness on this board about who's right and who's wrong. I'm sure most level headed people are as well.Everyone's entitled to their opinion but some word in such a way to provoke a reaction and the short wired react accordingly.

I mean who the fck cares which is colder/gets more snow between Dublin and London,playground stuff or what.The pathetic nature of it all is giving me a headache kop on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Congrats pistolpete! ;)

No more moaning,talk about thread topic.
    Warnings and bans will be handed down if this is ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Anyway:D back the 12z runs have a felling the cold is going to get pushed back further east will be on the wrong side? Its looking like it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Anyway:D back the 12z runs have a felling the cold is going to get pushed back further east will be on the wrong side? Its looking like it
    yeah looks pushed further back at 60h

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Yeah, looks like cold air is pushed back east maybe 25 miles or so.

BTW, congrats pistolpete. That was kept pretty quiet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

12z GFS is an upgrade at 96hrs for cold potential.

Low surface temperatures off the continent by Wednesday

Rtavn961.png

Rtavn9617.png

Rtavn1022.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

While the short term picture doesn't look as good on this run, I think we could be in a moderate easterly flow by wednesday evening.

Looking good so far.

By Thursday the door is well and truly open

Rtavn1082.png

So once again please don't take one run at face value. Be pragmatic and look at all the indicators. The game is not up yet:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Talk about blowing the 06z out of the water:D

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

MizDorry wrote: »
    Am I allowed to say that I'm in the South of France and they've just issued a snow warning for us:
    http://actualite.lachainemeteo.com/alerte-meteo/communique-special-vigilance-meteo.php

The thread title doesn't specify Ireland... :)

Sure thing snow is snow and im happy to see any enthusiast getting their share!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Epic so far, look at those uppers !

gfs-2012012812-1-138_lig1.png

UKMO Tuesday - not bad at all

UW72-21.GIF?28-17

...does the thread title mean low-ground snow risk or a low risk of snow anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Things back on track with a BANG in this run!

Opr

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement