Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal People, is it realistic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We need to get this fornicating filth off our televisions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Nope. They came in in 2014.

The year the book/show ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

TBH Irish teens are going through a lot right now. I think they deserve a bit of fornicating filth marketed toward them. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

We need to get this fornicating filth off our televisions

....and into our bedrooms!

Sardonicat wrote: »
    ....and into our bedrooms!

It won't come ..i've tried luring it and everything! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

listermint wrote: »
    I'd a car in school and I wasn't what you'd call affluent.

Few people had them back then too. This was a community mixed school.
    Were you paying 4 grand insurance while doing your leaving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

vandriver wrote: »

What are you raving about?
    3 or 4 people in my year had cars at 17, one in particular paying something like 600 as a named driver, they were farmers though.
    Not everyone pays stupid money to start off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I knew several people with cars in their final year of school. That's quite realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

unhappys10 wrote: »
    3 or 4 people in my year had cars at 17, one in particular paying something like 600 as a named driver, they were farmers though.

Exactly, they live in the town and his mother is a cleaner. He seems to be the one driving her around. Not explained how he affords the car and insurance. It would have made more sense for Marianne to have a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Maybe it is realistic to some, for others not.

That is how varied life is.

• Advertisement

unhappys10 wrote: »

Yes they do ...

Dude ...young guys when i was at school were quoted thousands for insurance ...this article says 18k.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/teenager-quoted-18-693-90-to-insure-a-14-year-old-car-1.3731834?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fireland%2Firish-news%2Fteenager-quoted-18-693-90-to-insure-a-14-year-old-car-1.3731834

To be a named drive at that age depending on the country etc and the car ..easily 4k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Yes they do ...

Dude ...young guys when i was at school were quoted thousands for insurance ...this article says 18k.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/teenager-quoted-18-693-90-to-insure-a-14-year-old-car-1.3731834?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fireland%2Firish-news%2Fteenager-quoted-18-693-90-to-insure-a-14-year-old-car-1.3731834

To be a named drive at that age depending on the country etc and the car ..easily 4k.

No, they don't. I just have you an example of one that didn't.
    I don't care what articles you throw up, it's not true for everyone.

Ps unless you can throw up an article detailing the amounts paid by every person starting off for the last 20 years?
    Didn't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Yes they do ...

Mine was 2k. Car was 1500.
    Not a bother when working over summer and living at home.

EDIT: and my parents paid for part of it :rolleyes:
    Long time ago now..

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Mine was 2k. Car was 1500.
    Not a bother when working over summer and living at home.

Yeah ....most guys who did drive paid more for the insurance than their car.

I heard of one guy ...who bought a sports car ..insurance KILLED him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    Exactly, they live in the town and his mother is a cleaner. He seems to be the one driving her around. Not explained how he affords the car and insurance. It would have made more sense for Marianne to have a car.

He works in Centra. Wages in Ireland are high, even minimum wage. It's pretty easy to save up for stuff when you're not paying rent and bills and the like. If he works at the weekend and during the holidays, how can he not afford a car and insurance?

He works in Centra. Wages in Ireland are high, even minimum wage. It's pretty easy to save up for stuff when you're not paying rent and bills and the like. If he works at the weekend and during the holidays, how can he not afford a car and insurance?
    Teens have expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Tork

Yeah, I thought it was fairly realistic, even though things have changed a lot since I was their age. I winced at some of the scenes where Marianne was being bullied and Connell kept his mouth shut. It reminded me of a girl in my class who we all picked on (I am ashamed to say I was one of them) for no other reason than that she didn't quite fit in. As an adult, I wish I'd stood up for her instead of moronically joining in with the chorus of classmates who mocked her. I honestly didn't see how hurtful we were at the time but quite frankly, we were ****s. By and large, teenagers don't want to stand out from the crowd and they fear the consequences of being the one who doesn't belong in the gang. I thought Normal People really nailed that. Connell not inviting Marianne to the Debs and failing to understand why that was wrong is typical teenage behaviour. It's to his credit that he came to realise why he had got it so wrong.

The sex was realistic too. How many of us had sex in childhood bedrooms, slept in single beds and got jiggy when parents weren't around? And I can relate to the fear and excitement of having sex for the first time. I just wish it had been with someone was nice as Connell but that's neither here nor there

Connell moving to Trinity also brought back memories of what it was like to go to college. It isn't today or yesterday since I went to college but those feelings of loneliness, disconnection, not belonging, wondering what the hell you're doing here etc. are universal. I didn't go to TCD but I can confidently say I met all those types of people Marianne and Connell did.

The inarticulateness of the characters was really realistic too. I think we've got so used to watching articulate Americans with carefully crafted lines of dialogue, we forget that humans don't talk like that. We aren't always articulate or good at constructing proper sentences in our heads. We don't say what's on our minds, even though we should. If Connell had been better at saying what was on his mind, it would've made life a lot less complicated for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,715 ✭✭✭✭listermint

vandriver wrote: »

Feels like

A. You didn't have a car at that age.
    B. Weren't working since you were allowed to either.

Have I hit the nail on the head ?

Get a job ya bum. Being in school doesn't prevent you from doing that.

Tork wrote: »
    Yeah, I thought it was fairly realistic, even though things have changed a lot since I was their age. I winced at some of the scenes where Marianne was being bullied and Connell kept his mouth shut. It reminded me of a girl in my class who we all picked on (I am ashamed to say I was one of them) for no other reason than that she didn't quite fit in. As an adult, I wish I'd stood up for her instead of moronically joining in with the chorus of classmates who mocked her. I honestly didn't see how hurtful we were at the time but quite frankly, we were ****s. By and large, teenagers don't want to stand out from the crowd and they fear the consequences of being the one who doesn't belong in the gang. I thought Normal People really nailed that. Connell not inviting Marianne to the Debs and failing to understand why that was wrong is typical teenage behaviour. It's to his credit that he came to realise why he had got it so wrong.

The sex was realistic too. How many of us had sex in childhood bedrooms, slept in single beds and got jiggy when parents weren't around? And I can relate to the fear and excitement of having sex for the first time. I just wish it had been with someone was nice as Connell but that's neither here nor there

Connell moving to Trinity also brought back memories of what it was like to go to college. It isn't today or yesterday since I went to college but those feelings of loneliness, disconnection, not belonging, wondering what the hell you're doing here etc. are universal. I didn't go to TCD but I can confidently say I met all those types of people Marianne and Connell did.

The inarticulateness of the characters was really realistic too. I think we've got so used to watching articulate Americans with carefully crafted lines of dialogue, we forget that humans don't talk like that. We aren't always articulate or good at constructing proper sentences in our heads. We don't say what's on our minds, even though we should. If Connell had been better at saying what was on his mind, it would've made life a lot less complicated for him.

True ..teens are fascist sheep.

Feels like

Feels like someone had parents who helped ...and has forgotten.

• Advertisement

Feels like someone had parents who helped ...and has forgotten.

Did you miss the working since I was legally able to part....

Or are you hard of reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Feels like

He’s some guy though, working after school and weekends, has an active social life, drives his mother around, plays lots of sports, has a secret girlfriend and still gets enough points to do literature at Trinity.

Did you miss the working since I was legally able to part....

Or are you hard of reading.

Did you miss the part where i told you that you wouldn't be able to afford it??

I can do math.

He’s some guy though, working after school and weekends, has an active social life, drives his mother around, plays lots of sports, has a secret girlfriend and still gets enough points to do literature at Trinity.
    There are some people like that.

Did you miss the part where i told you that you wouldn't be able to afford it??

I can do math.

Ha ha. Yes ok buddy.

I'm glad you've lived my life.

Are you contrary for the crack or ....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Normal/Boring people. My god it was a yawn fest.

I watched all of 5 minutes of it before turning over to re-runs of the EPL

Ha ha. Yes ok buddy.

I'm glad you've lived my life.

Are you contrary for the crack or ....

Dude you are talking rubbish. You bought your own car and insurance while doing your leaving and working for minimum wage. With no help from parents. And you didn't have to hand anything up while working to your parents?

Stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There are people like that though it comes easy to them until they run into some obstacle, although some never run into an obstacle life just fall in to place for them.

cj maxx wrote: »
    I watched all of 5 minutes of it before turning over to re-runs of the EPL
    I gave it three tries.

Honestly TV is terrible.

• Advertisement

Dude you are talking rubbish. You bought your own car and insurance while doing your leaving and working for minimum wage. With no help from parents. And you didn't have to hand anything up while working to your parents?

Stop.

Leaving ? I was driving in 5 year and working since 16

What age are you ?

Math isn't your strong point . Like at all

Advertisement