Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carvery Lunch

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

I like a carvery every few months. If the don't do cabbage and Yorkshire puds it's a lazy carvery. Plenty of them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Patww79 wrote: »
    Now this is true, and it's normally the one big letdown for me. They tend to be very poor.

I think the main reason for this is that they are frozen and not basted in the meat juices.

One thing about carveries is that no matter how much food you have, you will be hungry for another dinner 2 hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

awec wrote: »
    You don't go through culinary school to end up cooking carvery. It's a real shame.

That's nonsense. You really think each chef is dreaming of long hours, stressful environment, not being at home in the evenings? There my be some who go to culinary school thinking they will be doing that and then realize that they don't see their families and would prefer less stressful work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

A large McDonald's meal is almost 9quid.The most a carvery will set you back €11 at most,and you get comfortable seating and cutlery. I know what i prefer to spend my money on.Carvery is fast food without being fast food

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Grand if you like slop.

I prefer to sit down with a menu and choose what I want and have it brought to me.
    I doubt any carverys do fish in any event.

There would always be a fish option, often salmon or some sort of cod, in case you ever get adventurous 😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

People who just aren't competent home cooks and / or folks whose mother's weren't great cooks themselves tend to be the ones who get giddy at the thought of a carvery in my experience.

Grey roast beef with all the succulence of a carpet tile & veg that's been industrially steam blasted for 6 hours constitutes the norm rather than the exception across Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Dr.Robotnik

So tomorrow is the day for the old carvery, pigs slurping at troughs in my opinion. Will have a four course meal myself tomorrow and for those who choose to eat that muck why?

Theres only enough room for one Aongus Von Bismark around here OP! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Bulbous Salutation

The vast vast majority of pubs who serve a carvery are getting supplied by one of three or four wholesale suppliers. They order off a laminated menu and the prepared joints of meat, vegetables and potatoes are delivered by a friendly man in a big white van. They heat it up and serve it up. The margins are very healthy on it. No real cheffing required. The gravy makes it tasty, and does so because there's enough salt and saturated fat in it to butter and pickle a man. It's fast food.

It's the same with people suggesting that one local Chinese is better than another. Again, pretty much all the chinese places in the country with those similar looking menus are getting their goods delivered pretty much good for reheating. The food is prepared in a big factory outside Belfast. Again, industrialised fast food.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I've worked in four star hotels that served carvery and everything was made from scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

So tomorrow is the day for the old carvery, pigs slurping at troughs in my opinion. Will have a four course meal myself tomorrow and for those who choose to eat that muck why?

Ooooh you're going to a f*cking Milanos.

I'm off here soon for a 27 course meal

http://www.thomaskeller.com/tfl

I'll pop along for a Carvery afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

The vast vast majority of pubs who serve a carvery are getting supplied by one of three or four wholesale suppliers. They order off a laminated menu and the prepared joints of meat, vegetables and potatoes are delivered by a friendly man in a big white van. They heat it up and serve it up. The margins are very healthy on it. No real cheffing required. The gravy makes it tasty, and does so because there's enough salt and saturated fat in it to butter and pickle a man. It's fast food.
    I can well believe that, however at least you get the whole piece of meat not some over processed pink slush. I would pick just about anything, including carvery, over fast food burgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

The trolling here by a few posters (trolling is just being on a wind-up, not actually contributing) indicates they know they're being sneery and that they're wrong.

And as for that person who said it's a "crying shame" when chefs end up preparing carvery food - yes I'm sure they *really* think it's "a crying shame" and they're absolutely gutted for them. :D

They shouldn't feel so upset though - what would they do without such chefs to look down upon to feel better about themselves? :)

Yamanoto wrote: »
    People who just aren't competent home cooks and / or folks whose mother's weren't great cooks themselves tend to be the ones who get giddy at the thought of a carvery in my experience.

Grey roast beef with all the succulence of a carpet tile & veg that's been industrially steam blasted for 6 hours constitutes the norm rather than the exception across Ireland.

The ability or not to cook has nothing to do with it. I can cook a roast dinner no bother but it's far too much effort to do it regularly. I very rarely cook on Sunday's anyway so it's either take away, eat in a sit down restaurant or get a carvery. Problem with carvery is it tends to be in the afternoon and I don't eat dinner till 8pm or later so it's rarely I find places that have it when I'm eating.

Cooking a roast dinner means a full afternoon basically and if you just want to relax, busy watching sport, are out on the beer or just not home it's just not doable on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The yacht in Clontarf is the best place by miles they give you half a cow for a half portion.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Yamanoto wrote: »

Personally I think people who think carverys must always be bad don't understand the cooking process.

It's really the weirdest snobbery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

eternal wrote: »
    I've worked in four star hotels that served carvery and everything was made from scratch.

Don't come here with facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Personally I think people who think carverys must always be bad don't understand the cooking process.

It is people who want to go to a place where they can see more plate then food on a dish (With a little design of sauce) and then eat very little of it to say that it was "just to die for" - that do not like carvery's..:D Oh and naturally pay well for the privilege to say they were there!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I didn't say carvery must always be bad, indeed there are thankfully always going to be some caterers for whom taking professional pride in what it is they produce for the customer is paramount, but in my experience (and I don't think I'm alone here), the great majority of carvery meals are utterly disappointing affairs.

I think there's a subset of Irish folks for whom bland and poorly executed carvery food constitutes a trip down memory lane - just like Mammy used to make. It's that nostalgia element that possibly goes some way to explaining why it's such a culinary blind spot for so many people.

I'm not seeking a Michelin star experience by any means, but there's nowt wrong with expecting any professional kitchen to cook meals to a professional standard - with meat retaining juices & flavour and vegetables not disintegrating into something you'd mush up to spoon-feed a toddler.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    My carvery thread was better ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057152595

I agree with you though, carverys are disgusting. Like school, prison or hospital canteen food. I have no idea why they are so popular in this part of the world. Lining up like cows to be served slop is not my idea of a nice meal out. When family members arrange outings in carvery 'restaurants', I always order soup and a roll and eat proper food when I get home.
    Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    If I was going to go tasty not fancy, I'd go to McDonalds before a carvery.
    :confused: in your other thread you said you were not a fan of McD's, but now you call it tasty? not really the great snob people think you are.

And you eat soup and a roll -but are against people eating "bland" stuff, or something they would not get at home. Soup would be a standard in places you listed that you have issue with, like hospitals, prison, workplaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

rubadub wrote: »
    :confused: in your other thread you said you were not a fan of McD's, but now you call it tasty? not really the great snob people think you are.

And you eat soup and a roll -but are against people eating "bland" stuff, or something they would not get at home. Soup would be a standard in places you listed that you have issue with, like hospitals, prison, workplaces.

I didn't say I was a snob. I'm not a huge fan of McD's, but if in a rush, with kids I will eat it. I'm not a fan because it's crap quality, but can be tasty if you're in the mood. Soup is a food that, if it sits around on constant heat, or is reheated several times, the flavour/texture is generally not ruined, unlike meat and steamed/boiled vege! On saying that, restaurants that are crap enough to serve carvery, often manage to feck up even soup, but if I'm with family who insist on going to a carvery, I can hardly sit there with nothing in front of me. I'm not a food snob at all. One of my favourite meals is scampi, chips and tartare sauce from the fish and chip shop in Kilmore Quay. Carvery is just ****e that's all!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

If you saw what went into the soup in one award winning place, you would think twice about your ideas :) People think they know food but they don't see it prepared or the work that goes into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Yep, depends on the establishment - carveries vary. Stupid and pigheaded to say they're all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

The yacht in Clontarf is the best place by miles they give you half a cow for a half portion.

This seems to be the key issue here. Many posters here seem to think a huge feed = a good meal, whereas others think quality is more important than quantity. I know people who think food is a chore to be got out of the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

If you saw what went into the soup in one award winning place, you would think twice about your ideas :) People think they know food but they don't see it prepared or the work that goes into it.

Same goes for any place that serves or produces food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Had some today,half portion,roast belly of pork with a pile of mash,Couple of scoops of mixed veg.Red wine gravy.Herself had a salmon darn with potato gratin and veg.We both agreed it was absolutely gorgeous.Price,including a pint of beer and a quarter bottle of red.€23.50,left a fiver tip for the girl that served us, total cost €28.50.A lovely meal for less than 30 quid.Bargain to me.Why all the hate for carvery??Ive been to shanahans on the green twice,on both occasions,ive stopped into McDonald's to fill the gap,even though I'd just left 220 sheets in shanahans.

Advertisement