Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carvery food

Options
  • 19-02-2014 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭

Why why why why why is it so popular here?

On a Sunday afternoon when you feel like going out for lunch, all that can be found are restaurants that have perfectly normal, acceptable menus at other times, serving carvery! And they are always full!

The stuff is awful without exception. Why would anyone want to pay a restaurant for a few slices of meat, mashed potato, and some unidentifiable, overcooked vegetables that the average person could cook better themselves? They are like a boring week night dinner. I just don't get why people want that sort of food when they go out for a meal. Perhaps it's just me, but if I'm going out to dinner I don't want to pay for something I could cook better myself. I want food that is different that I wouldn't think to cook at home very often. The most useless cook could make a roast dinner taste better than carvery!

Also there is the lining up to get the awful food! Carverys remind me of hospital/school/workplace canteens, and the food certainly tastes no better! I would actually rather get McDonalds and I'm not a fan of that either.

That is my carvery rant over. Maybe someone could enlighten me on their popularity!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I would have sex with a nice slice of roast beef.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I love a carvery!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Also there is the lining up to get the awful food! Carverys remind me of hospital/school/workplace canteens,

This ^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

Never understood it either, awful stuff. Anything you have to queue up for and get served from a Bain Marie is just not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Myself and the boyfriend have been wondering this for a while. We assumed everybody else just loves it. Glad to know this is not true.

Dried out, old muck. Not that it's the type of food I'd eat anyway, even if it was edible looking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Don't forget the snotty offspring with their paws stuck in every jaysus thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Food hipster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Not a fan at all. And my parents always want to meet on a Sunday in the same place for the same carvery! Watery mushy peas - gross!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

It's worse in England. There are chains of carvery restaurants that are all decorated the same way, produce the same food and serve the same selection of beverages - all at the same set prices.

I'd prefer to go for a carvery meal in Ireland tbh. The standard of pub grub in England can be shockingly bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

It's all the food they don't use during the week, they just stick it in the microwave and heat it up and serve it to the masses like their in the Shawshank redemption

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Depends on the carvery, some can be absolutely rotten, just stodgy, warmed up cr*p. Others can be really good, and still quite a reasonable price.

Personally, I can make a lovely roast beef dinner at home, but its a lot of effort to do it properly. I see your point on this though, I rarely buy sandwiches or pasta dishes when out as I make them myself quite regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Carvery food should be banned - seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,584 ✭✭✭billyhead

I love Carvery food. Roast Potatoes, Gravy, beef and veg. Pure Bliss:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭cml387

There are people who love a bit of poor quality meat that has been sitting under hot lamp for two hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

My parents fu(king love carverys man. They tut disapprovingly if the roast beef is a bit pink, and instead go for the chicken. They hate going out eating anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    Why why why why why is it so popular here?

On a Sunday afternoon when you feel like going out for lunch, all that can be found is restaurants that have perfectly normal, acceptable menus at other times, serving carvery! And they are always full!

The stuff is awful without exception. Why would anyone want to pay a restaurant for a few slices of meat, mashed potato, and some unidentifiable, overcooked vegetables that the average person could cook better themselves? They are like a boring week night dinner. I just don't get why people want that sort of food when they go out for a meal. Perhaps it's just me, but if I'm going out to dinner I don't want to pay for something I could cook better myself. I want food that is different that I wouldn't think to cook at home very often. The most useless cook could make a roast dinner taste better than carvery!

Also there is the lining up to get the awful food! Carverys remind me of hospital/school/workplace canteens, and the food certainly tastes no better! I would actually rather get McDonalds and I'm not a fan of that either.

That is my carvery rant over. Maybe someone could enlighten me on their popularity!

The day after a night out drinking stout its hard to beat heading to somewhere like O'Neills on Suffolk Street, getting a whopper turkey and ham dinner, having a massive dump after it and then getting stuck into more pints.

/perfect Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

/adopts mams voice. "if you where in Africa, ye'd be glad of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's ****E! Those 'roast' potatoes? Not roast potatoes, they're frozen spuds thrown into a chip pan. Then they're served with shoe-leather dried out meat, stuffing that may just as well say Brennan's on it, such is the bread quantity and soggy, limp and flavourless veg. All drowned in manky brown instant gravy thick enough to repair a wall with.

I'd literally rather eat McDonalds, it's that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

The quality of the food is much the same. It is a staffing issue; a kitchen doesn't run itself you know! And a Sunday carvery attracts a lot of people!

I dont go for the food , i go for the gravy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

The day after a night out drinking stout its hard to beat heading to somewhere like O'Neills on Suffolk Street, getting a whopper turkey and ham dinner, having a massive dump after it and then getting stuck into more pints.

/perfect Sunday

No, just no.

I cannot poo in a pub.

Nothing like your own jacks Imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

I fcukin love it.
    Mmmm...roast beef,spuds and veg swimming in litres of gravy and washed down with a few pints.
    I love sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

wouldn't it make sense to ask the same question about most of the usual fast food joints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

No, just no.

I cannot poo in a pub.

Nothing like your own jacks Imo.

After a few pints of stout you wouldn't want to be dumping in your own toilet.

Biological hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

I'm clearly not alone in my dislike of carvery. What a relief! I was starting to wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I hate carvery food! Was only thinking that today when myself and mam went to a pub in Dun Laoghaire for a bit of lunch. The heaps of dried spud and lump grey veg turned my stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I fcukin love it.
    Mmmm...roast beef,spuds and veg swimming in litres of gravy and washed down with a few pints.
    I love sundays.
    wot, no chianti?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Me?

I'd love a good carvery now, sweat drips and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭geckovision

cml387 wrote: »
    There are people who love a bit of poor quality meat that has been sitting under hot lamp for two hours.

Seems to be more people who love crap quality, chemical filled meat at every deli counter in Ireland. Pure rubbish.

At least a carvery can be decent.

I usually about both though. Most carvery's I've seen haven't been great.

Produce rubbish and charge through the f*ck out of people - seems to be the Irish way.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

/perfect Sunday

I hope you're a man:eek:

Advertisement