Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carvery Lunch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I f*ckin love a nice carvery,as someone already said, it needs to be busy.Its also a great excuse for a midweek, early afternoon drinking session, under the pretense of grabbing a 'quick bite'

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    I like it when people get defensive of their carveries!

I like it when people refer to other people's dinners as slop.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Dubl07 wrote: »
    One of the bonuses of carvery eating is that most places offer a small portion at a reduced price. It's a boon for the elderly or the less voracious. I love to cook and enjoy 'fine' dining but a good carvery provides an excellent meal.

Always have a half portion if I'm having many pints full portion leaves no room for anything else

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Always have a half portion if I'm having many pints full portion leaves no room for anything else

You live the dream, horsing back pints of porter and a half carvery.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,569 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Stuffing and more stuffing. Lash it on there please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

You live the dream, horsing back pints of porter and a half carvery.

Are you after your 4 course feed?

GMSA wrote: »
    Are you after your 4 course feed?

I am having it later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I like it when people refer to other people's dinners as slop.

I like it when people think overcooked slop that they must line up for is a 'lovely dinner' and are willing to pay for it in a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Gone quiet in this thread! Must be because it's that time when carvery defenders are lining up with tray in hand, waiting for the dried out meat and overcooked vege to be chucked from the trough onto their plate.

You seem way too angry about people eating carveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,569 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I like it when people think overcooked slop is a 'lovely dinner' and are willing to pay for it in a restaurant.

I love the burnt bits of the joint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

The food they serve at carveries is the type of food I eat at home quite often, only I do it better (and I'm no chef). When I go out to eat, I choose food I like but not good enough to cook myself

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Copa Mundial

I can never understand people turning their noses up at a carvery. The one in our local hotel is always nicely done, gives you a proper good feed for what you pay too.

I'd take a good carvery over the alternative!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

You are worried and creeped out because I think you have ****e taste in food?

You are worried and creeped out because I think you have ****e taste in food?

And what do they serve up in the Ivory tower?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

And what do they serve up in the Ivory tower?

Haha I love this attitude that anything that is not dry, overcooked meat, overboiled vege and lots and lots of potato is 'posh' food. It goes a long way to explain why the standard of food outside of larger, urban, more multicultural areas is generally so rubbish (with the very rare exception).

And I surely don't live in an 'Ivory tower', I am a mere nurse, therefore I see hospital food every day so it's not something I want to be lining up for in a restaurant on my days off.

Exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I would pay handsomely of a carvery right now. Proper corned beef, shpuds, brown gravy....

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I feel sorry for chefs who have to make carvery. It must be pretty demeaning being a qualified chef but having to cook a mass produced roast dinner.

Imagine you were Lewis Hamilton but instead of driving in the F1 you had to drive the number 47 bus. That's how I imagine those chefs feel.

awec wrote: »
    I feel sorry for chefs who have to make carvery. It must be pretty demeaning being a qualified chef but having to cook a mass produced roast dinner.

Imagine you were Lewis Hamilton but instead of driving in the F1 you had to drive the number 47 bus. That's how I imagine those chefs feel.

They are kings amongst men

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 266 ✭✭Clive Bisquette

awec wrote: »

Every "Chef" is not Lewis Hamilton my friend...why is it "demeaning"....you are seriously out of order here ...the person who cooks quality food and gives good value in a carvery is doing a good job and should be recognised.

Nothing at all "demeaning" about that.

Every "Chef" is not Lewis Hamilton my friend...why is it "demeaning"....you are seriously out of order here ...the person who cooks quality food and gives good value in a carvery is doing a good job and should be recognised.

Are you a carvery chef?

• Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You don't go through culinary school to end up cooking carvery. It's a real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

Heres my take on eating as i see it.
    Carvery is quick and what you see is what you get. Price reasonable portion size set.
    Restaurant is slow and anything is possible within the menu description. Cant see final product till it appears. Too much interference by staff. Portion size is set. Cooking times can be preferred for steaks etc. Prices can be expensive.
    Home cooked takes ages laborious but portion size cooking and serving options and ingredients are under your control.

Haha I love this attitude that anything that is not dry, overcooked meat, overboiled vege and lots and lots of potato is 'posh' food. It goes a long way to explain why the standard of food outside of larger, urban, more multicultural areas is generally so rubbish (with the very rare exception).

And I surely don't live in an 'Ivory tower', I am a mere nurse, therefore I see hospital food every day so it's not something I want to be lining up for in a restaurant on my days off.

You don't appear to realise that a lot of people really like carvery and find it very tasty. They don't want anything more. You make it sound like they are only having it as they lack choice.

I go out specifically looking for carvery at times, there are times I don't want a sit down and order meal meal or what not. I want a big pile of roast beef, lashings of gravy, two or three different types of spuds and some veg. The more the better, If I'm not struggling to walk after I hadn't enough.

It's quick and easy and you get very well fed for the money you pay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 266 ✭✭Clive Bisquette

Are you a carvery chef?

No Sir ..I am not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

It all depends on the roasties. ones you can play rounders with= a bad carvery. (Which 9 out of 10 are)

Advertisement