Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carvery Lunch

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

There's something extremely sad about caring about what other people choose to eat on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Brings back memories, haven't had one since I left Ireland around 15 years ago. Back then, it was carvery for lunch Mon-Fri, definitely don't miss them. What's the going rate now for one?

I can cook a full roast dinner for the same money as a good carvery, and it'll be nicer.

In saying that though, I was fond of them when young and hungover. Lots of people eat them because they like a big dinner without the expense of a restaurant or the hassle of cooking.

In general cooking is cheaper than buying out. It's the time that stops people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Is this a tradition or something? I honestly never heard of going to a carvery for Sunday lunch. Is this very popular? Does it only happen in some areas of the country?
    Pubs on a Sunday - grim and depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

In general cooking is cheaper than buying out. It's the time that stops people.

A lot of people here have too much time on their hands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

'How dare anyone enjoy something I don't off with their heads snarf snarf'

Roughly translated the OP for us there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

A lot of people here have too much time on their hands
    It's not time, it's being too lazy to make a dinner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Not for me and definitely overpriced

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

i was sure i remembered a similar thread from recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Sam Kade wrote: »

I'll be making dinner today but damned if it's a 3 course meal. Bit of fish and veg.

If I want a full roast I would go out. Not necessarily to a carvery though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I like a carvery but I'm always stuffed to the gills after it and feel like I'm going to burst.

Having said that, on the once-in-a-blue-moon occasion I'd have one, it'd be roast turkey with ham, mash, roasties and veg with stuffing and gravy.
    Fills you up all day and is partly nutritional.
    Best off going for one early in the day when the food's still fresh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Sam Kade wrote: »

I wasn't talking about making dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

My carvery thread was better ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057152595

I agree with you though, carverys are disgusting. Like school, prison or hospital canteen food. I have no idea why they are so popular in this part of the world. Lining up like cows to be served slop is not my idea of a nice meal out. When family members arrange outings in carvery 'restaurants', I always order soup and a roll and eat proper food when I get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Slop is gruel. Beef/turkey/ham, roast potatoes, stuffing and veg are not gruel.

People pretend carvery - literally just a roast dinner - is something it's not, just to sneer at people.

I'm not usually an extravagant person - except for when it comes to food and drink: happy to shell out for gourmet meals, good wine/beer/coffee... but I also enjoy food that's not fancy but is tasty, and that's what carvery is.

Azalea wrote: »
    Slop is gruel. Beef/turkey/ham, roast potatoes, stuffing and veg are not gruel.

People pretend carvery - literally just a roast dinner - is something it's not, just to sneer at people.

I'm not usually an extravagant person - except for when it comes to food and drink: happy to shell out for gourmet meals, good wine/beer/coffee... but I also enjoy food that's not fancy but is tasty, and that's what carvery is.

If I was going to go tasty not fancy, I'd go to McDonalds before a carvery.

I like it when people get defensive of their carveries!

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    If I was going to go tasty not fancy, I'd go to McDonalds before a carvery.

But isn't that because you are a misinformed snob?

Roast beef is roast beef. Roast turkey is roast turkey. Baked ham is baked ham. And carverys sell stews etc.

Most of these types of meals are not cooked to order regardless of carvery status or not. They are either kept hot in front of house (carvery) or behind the house ( restaurant). Either way you could get dried over cooked meat if you come late.

The only carvery I eat at, close to work, will cook fish to order, It's not on the front of house. That's the only way to cook fish but the other stuff goes fast enough that it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Give me carvery food any day. No comparison to salads, sandwiches, wraps, paninis or takeaways. I dont want food brought out as works of art either. Big chips stacked in 2x2 formation and squiggles of sauce around the plate. Pretentious shoite. I want to eat it not admire it.
    Wonder what OP is having today and where?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭play it again

Give me carvery food any day. No comparison to salads, sandwiches, wraps, paninis or takeaways. I dont want food brought out as works of art either. Big chips stacked in 2x2 formation and squiggles of sauce around the plate. Pretentious shoite. I want to eat it not admire it.
    Wonder what OP is having today and where?

Nothing worse than going into a place that serves chip in a small stainless steel bucket and you get the dinner on a bread board or a piece of roof slate , ffs just put it on a plate and horse it out to me

But isn't that because you are a misinformed snob?

The only carvery I eat at, close to work, will cook fish to order, It's not on the front of house. That's the only way to cook fish but the other stuff goes fast enough that it doesn't matter.

Why do you only eat at that carvery when you won't eat at others? Is it because you are also a snob? Or is it just that you fully agree that cook to order food is far more palatable than carvery?

I have nothing against beef/ham/turkey etc, it's just that I can cook, and so when I cook such things at home they, without exception, taste 100% better than anything I have ever been served in a carvery. I don't like paying for food in restaurants that I could cook far better myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

LorMal wrote: »
    Is this a tradition or something? I honestly never heard of going to a carvery for Sunday lunch. Is this very popular? Does it only happen in some areas of the country?
    Pubs on a Sunday - grim and depressing.

Most of the pubs/restaurants around me are packed out at Sunday lunchtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Nothing worse than going into a place that serves chip in a small stainless steel bucket and you get the dinner on a bread board or a piece of roof slate , ffs just put it on a plate and horse it out to me

Join the movement!

https://www.facebook.com/WeWantPlates/?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Love a good carvey OP! Thanks for the reminder - there's a lovely one in Swords I think I'll head down to this afternoon! Tasty food, fresh and nutritional. Can't beat it.

Gone quiet in this thread! Must be because it's that time when carvery defenders are lining up with tray in hand, waiting for the dried out meat and overcooked vege to be chucked from the trough onto their plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

One of the bonuses of carvery eating is that most places offer a small portion at a reduced price. It's a boon for the elderly or the less voracious. I love to cook and enjoy 'fine' dining but a good carvery provides an excellent meal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I can't say I am a fan. However we landed once in one just when they started serving and I had the nicest roast beef I ever had in any restaurant. Frankly if I ever want a decent roast I make it myself. I can't say there is much difference between roast on Sunday menu in a restaurant or carvery. You tend to get a piece of dried out meat that resembles saw dust and potatoes or veg that are kept warm somewhere for hours. In that regard snobbery about carvery food is completely unjustified.

Advertisement