Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 €45.45

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭richiek

Is this Legit? has anyone bought from them?

tis a deadly price

Yes, they're legit... Bought from them 4-5 times.. Great service too

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭richiek

excellent! thank you for the tip sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

It's legit but you have to be a student or an immediate relative of a student.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

unklerosco wrote: »
    OpenOffice is free and easier to use imo :)

Adyx wrote: »

Technically yes but I've never been asked for proof

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

whiteman19 wrote: »
    OpenOffice is free and easier to use imo :)

Does OpenOffice have anything like onenote? That's a savage piece of software especially for students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Does OpenOffice have anything like onenote? That's a savage piece of software especially for students.
    dunno. i've heard of OneNote but never really knew what it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

OpenOffice doesn't have note taking software. I've discovered KeepNote, free note taking software, for GNU/Linux and Windows. There's also other note taking software, such as Tomboy notes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Needs to be pointed out this is an UPGRADE version of the software only, no good for fresh builds

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Upgrades can be used to full install.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

gambiaman wrote: »

As per their website:

Please Note: changes to Irish release of Microsoft Windows 7

Software4Students ask all our customers to please note that Microsoft have recently made a number of changes to the European release of Microsoft Windows 7. Please be aware that while this is subject to change, the latest information that we have is as follows:

This version of Windows 7 ships as an upgrade edition. It is NOT possible or permitted to perform a clean install with this product. You must have an existing valid Windows operating system on your hard disk. All editions of Windows 7 will now include the Internet Explorer 8 web browser as standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

scorn wrote: »
    As per their website:

Please Note: changes to Irish release of Microsoft Windows 7

Software4Students ask all our customers to please note that Microsoft have recently made a number of changes to the European release of Microsoft Windows 7. Please be aware that while this is subject to change, the latest information that we have is as follows:

This version of Windows 7 ships as an upgrade edition. It is NOT possible or permitted to perform a clean install with this product. You must have an existing valid Windows operating system on your hard disk. All editions of Windows 7 will now include the Internet Explorer 8 web browser as standard.

Also, "The main requirement in this programme is that the end user licensee is a student in one of our participating schools/colleges"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Adyx wrote: »

Technically true, but in practise they don't check.

I've bought off them a couple of times, no problems, just pick the name of a nearby college/school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

gambiaman wrote: »
    Also, "The main requirement in this programme is that the end user licensee is a student in one of our participating schools/colleges"

Yeah, but a number of the Win 7 upgrade packs have to be launched from within an existing Windows installation, rather than booted from scratch to ensure that they are being used appropriately. While it in effect does a clean install going from XP to 7, or between certain versions, it can be messy. I had to acquire alternative media using a 64 bit upgrade pack coming from 32 bit XP, and just use the licence key, because it insisted on launching from within Windows, but it had no 32 bit launcher. I left another student offer run too long, and the appropriate installer was no longer available for download, but it it happened there, it could happen with these too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

cython wrote: »
    Yeah, but a number of the Win 7 upgrade packs have to be launched from within an existing Windows installation, rather than booted from scratch to ensure that they are being used appropriately. While it in effect does a clean install going from XP to 7, or between certain versions, it can be messy. I had to acquire alternative media using a 64 bit upgrade pack coming from 32 bit XP, and just use the licence key, because it insisted on launching from within Windows, but it had no 32 bit launcher. I left another student offer run too long, and the appropriate installer was no longer available for download, but it it happened there, it could happen with these too.

Exactly, once you have the license key then just find a friend who has the standard Windows 7 install disc or you could just download Windows 7 on torrents. I'm pretty certain your not doing anything wrong because you have a valid key and all the torrents are just straight rips from the discs anyway, the warez usually comes in separate files

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

The iso supplied by these guys works just fine for a clean install. Did one just last week and no problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

I have a fairly new HP business laptop that runs XP fast - it's well maintained and I have no problems. I have my whole iTunes library as well as a lot of TV on my hard drive. I am leaving the country in 2 days.

My question is - Would it be worth it to download this - format, upgrade and reinstall? Or are the benefits of 7 less than the hassle of doing a reformat and the €45 price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Btwndeyes

Yes u can full install as long as you are running a previuos version of windows, 98.95 xp whatever

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Can I seek clarity on the installation with a specific example:

Brand new PC, no operating system, will this DVD give a complete Win 7 install?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

eightyfish wrote: »
    I have a fairly new HP business laptop that runs XP fast - it's well maintained and I have no problems. I have my whole iTunes library as well as a lot of TV on my hard drive. I am leaving the country in 2 days.

My question is - Would it be worth it to download this - format, upgrade and reinstall? Or are the benefits of 7 less than the hassle of doing a reformat and the €45 price?

If it ain't broke................
    I have Windows 7 on my PC an upgrade from Vista. While I don't regret upgrading from Vista, I do regret upgrading to Vista from XP.
    The only real problem is how long Microsoft will support XP.

bmaxi wrote: »

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭line6

afaik microsoft have already stopped support for xp sp2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭podge3

I completely agree except......

You will need to upgrade eventually. I went straight from XP to 7. I was a little reluctant as XP SP3 was very stable and I had no complaints. But I figured that I would have to make the change eventually so may as well do it sooner rather than later.

IMHO Win7 is an excellent product and superior to XP. I have yet to find a problem in running any XP programs on it.

podge3 wrote: »

Food for thought. I can dl this now and have it all done by tonight.... might not see the €45 offer again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

podge3 wrote: »

You will need to upgrade eventually. I went straight from XP to 7. I was a little reluctant as XP SP3 was very stable and I had no complaints. But I figured that I would have to make the change eventually so may as well do it sooner rather than later.

IMHO Win7 is an excellent product and superior to XP. I have yet to find a problem in running any XP programs on it.

Win 7 is an excellent OS, no argument there but if XP is running well and catering for your needs, why take the risk of something going belly up?
    It's not as if Win 7 is going out of production.
    Who knows, by the time the poster needs to upgrade it might be Win 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

No! It's an upgrade only so wont boot unless booted from within windows

So you must already have an OS to do this. Once you already have an OS you can upgrade to win 7 with this disk, and during this upgrade you can then upgrade over your existing install or do a clean install

slave1 wrote: »
    Can I seek clarity on the installation with a specific example:

Brand new PC, no operating system, will this DVD give a complete Win 7 install?

Win 7 is an excellent OS, no argument there but if XP is running well and catering for your needs, why take the risk of something going belly up?

It's more the hassle of removing and then re-installing all my programs and media. I'm still 50/50. It's a great price, and 7 looks good - but in terms of speed it seems almost identical to XP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Eh, did someone delete my post?

Advertisement